Thomas Rawls hoping to help hometown of Flint

Thomas Rawls AP

Seattle Seahawks running back Thomas Rawls loves his hometown of Flint, Michigan.

Rare were the conversations this season where Rawls didn’t mention the city back home or the important people in his life that continue to reside in the formerly bustling town.

The water crisis that has hit the city weighs heavily on the star Seahawks rookie.

“I can’t wait to go back home and help out with that,” Rawls said during the team’s locker cleanout last week. “I may even try to dig a well and connect it to another city or something. I want to be Superman to my city. I love my city. I don’t want to get emotional about it, but I will go home.”

Rawls currently remains in the Seattle area recovering from the broken ankle that ended his season in December. However, he’s expected to be out of his cast within a couple of weeks and plans to head home to help any way he can.

“I got a lot of family there, a lot of friends,” Rawls said. “That’s where I grew up at, so to know that the water is bad and to know that there’s not a lot being done back in Flint, Michigan is kind of upsetting, kind of emotional, just to know my family and friends and stuff are there. One thing I can control is do what I can do as far as on my end. That’s going back home, donating, having something around for the city as far as people having free water. Stuff like that.

“It’s kind of hard when you can’t even shower in your own shower. You can’t drink your own water. It’s kind of upsetting to know I got nieces and nephews and skin is breaking out. Or friends, they have kids. It’s already hard in the city, just because, but to add on that to your plate is kind of tough. One thing I can tell you about the people of Flint is that they’re tough and they’re built for it. That’s one thing I just want to display and show my gratitude through them and go back home and do a lot for the city.

“I am working on them right now,” he continued while fighting back his emotions. “I will be back home in Flint within the next few weeks and I will have something to give the city, because I’m able to now.”

Rawls had a breakout year after signing with Seattle as an undrafted free agent from Central Michigan. He rushed for 830 yards and four touchdowns in just seven starts while leading the league in yards per carry average.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
10 Responses to “Thomas Rawls hoping to help hometown of Flint”
  1. seatownballers says: Jan 28, 2016 12:06 AM

He also gave 15k to local mission’s.
    A Stand Up guy.
    Great player.

Get better from injury.
    Glad to have you as a back.

2. arctantheta says: Jan 28, 2016 1:57 AM

Good on you, Mr. Rawls. Try to pressure the NFL into making a donation.

3. seahawkfanfrom1970s says: Jan 28, 2016 2:20 AM

“Natural Man” Rawls is already a “Superman” running back for us. More important, he’s a good man who will do stand-up work for his fellow Americans in his hometown. No person in this country should have to endure what that Michigan governor has put those powerless Flint citizens through.

4. Pftsliberalagenda says: Jan 28, 2016 5:45 AM

Flint is a cautionary look into the future of America

5. luckyarmpit says: Jan 28, 2016 7:34 AM

Sounds like his head is screwed on right. Good for him, giving back to his community.

6. maximusprime107 says: Jan 28, 2016 10:21 AM

Yeah, but what is Jackie Moon doing for them?

7. trumb1mj says: Jan 28, 2016 11:57 AM

Nice to see the purse snatcher giving back a little.

8. In Teddy We Trust says: Jan 28, 2016 12:45 PM

seahawkfanfrom1970s says:
    Jan 28, 2016 2:20 AM

______

Not sure why you’re blaming the governor. It was Flint city officials who made the decision to switch their water source without fully understanding the challenges of treating water.

9. mediasloppy says: Jan 28, 2016 5:10 PM

Pftsliberalagenda says:
    Jan 28, 2016 5:45 AM

Flint is a cautionary look into the future of America
    ———————–
    It wasn’t liberals or Flint city officials poisoning the wells. It was the new Republican agenda of giving some person the title of City Manager to make all decisions to pinch every last nickle no matter the cost of human outcome.

10. wkdblc52 says: Feb 5, 2016 8:47 AM

hey Teddy dipstick….it was ALL the governor’s fault for hiring incompetent people to save money for switching the water supply from Lake Huron where it was clean to this crappy supply in Flint. Typical Republicans who don’t know squat from sick’em….impeach this worthless governor, Michigan voters !!