Urlacher prefers Peyton’s professionalism to Newton’s celebrations

MIAMI GARDENS, FL - FEBRUARY 04:  Linebacker Brian Urlacher #54 of the Chicago Bears chases down quarterback Peyton Manning #18 of the Indianapolis Colts during Super Bowl XLI on February 4, 2007 at Dolphin Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida.  (Photo by Doug Benc/Getty Images) Getty Images

Former Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher thinks there’s a right way and a wrong way to celebrate a touchdown, and Urlacher is decidedly in the “Act like you’ve been there before” camp.

Urlacher told USA Today he prefers the way Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning celebrates — with a quick nod to a teammate and then a jog back to the sideline — to the Panthers quarterback Cam Newton’s dancing.

“I played defense so I don’t like when guys celebrate with dances and stuff. You know who I like the way he celebrates is Peyton. He kind of gives the guy a handshake and goes back to the sidelines. I think that’s a great celebration right there,” he said. “You don’t see him dancing. You don’t see him doing all of that stuff. Even when he gets a first down he doesn’t do anything.”

Urlacher’s tastes are more Barry Sanders than Billy “White Shoes” Johnson, and that’s OK. But the reality is Newton has the best argument in the debate over dancing: If you don’t want him to celebrate, keep him out of the end zone.

Permalink 205 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
205 Responses to “Urlacher prefers Peyton’s professionalism to Newton’s celebrations”
  1. vancouversportsbro says: Jan 28, 2016 12:49 PM

Julian Edelman is far worse. Acts like the toughest guy on the field.

2. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 28, 2016 12:50 PM

The celebrations are juvenile and unimpressive, and that goes for when most players do it, not just Newton.

They add nothing to the game for me.

In fact they often take away from it. I absolutely loathe it when a player on a team losing badly makes a good play and celebrates like he just won the Super Bowl.

3. boisestatewhodat says: Jan 28, 2016 12:51 PM

Newton’s style is obnoxious, juvenile and bush league that’s why people don’t like him. Not because he’s black.

Russell Wilson is black and NFL fans respect his style because it is professional and shows humility.

Johnny Manziel is white…people dislike him for the same reasons people dislike Newton…

4. ibelievebrady says: Jan 28, 2016 12:51 PM

Cam will get his at some point. Just like Richard Sherman did last year.

5. key2heat says: Jan 28, 2016 12:52 PM

Cameron “the thief” Newton celebrates a first down when he is losing by 24 points. The guy is the definition of ME ME ME.

6. barryblogs says: Jan 28, 2016 12:52 PM

Who cares what Brian Urlacher thinks??? Let Cam be Cam! Awesome player and the new face of the league. Kids love him and he brings true passion to the game.

7. riggo08 says: Jan 28, 2016 12:53 PM

Maybe I am old school too like Urlacher, but I couldn’t agree more. I like the humble player far more than the one that beats their chest…..

8. RavenzGunnerz says: Jan 28, 2016 12:53 PM

Oh boy. This is not going to be good. Take cover!

9. gixrider says: Jan 28, 2016 12:55 PM

Brian is certainly entitled to his opinion…just as Cam is certainly entitled to not give a damn about Brian’s opinion. And life goes on.

10. smurftacular says: Jan 28, 2016 12:55 PM

Hey media, stop trying to make something out of nothing because you are struggling with material before the teams get out to San Francisco this weekend.

11. q1ller says: Jan 28, 2016 12:56 PM

Newton has always been about trying to get as much attention as he can get. It doesn’t matter to me whether or not it can be backed up. I just can’t find it possible to actually like him.

12. mvp43 says: Jan 28, 2016 12:56 PM

At some point Cam will grow up and realize that he looks like a donkey when he celebrates. I understand youthful exuberance, but there’s something to say for having class.

13. Staticphear says: Jan 28, 2016 12:57 PM

Is he trying to tell us that Defense’s don’t celebrate like crazy when they pick 6?

14. drgfri says: Jan 28, 2016 12:59 PM

I prefer a clean Cam to an HGH filled Manning.

15. armchairqb says: Jan 28, 2016 12:59 PM

The original argument is, “If you don’t want teams running up the score, stop them from scoring.” It has nothing to do with jumping around and acting like a jerk every time you reach the end zone.

Saying “If you don’t like him dancing, keep him out of the end zone” is like saying, “Hey, we let him score, so he has carte blanche to act like a complete d-bag and be as unsportsmanlike as he wants.”

I don’t think any fan has a problem with celebrating. But Newton celebrates every TD like he just won his 15th straight super bowl, cured cancer, and created an unlimited source clean, free energy for the planet.

Calm down, dude.

16. tdubdizzle says: Jan 28, 2016 1:00 PM

Once Cam Newton starts acting like a Professional he will be elite like Peyton.

17. tdubdizzle says: Jan 28, 2016 1:01 PM

Q1ller-

You hit it on the head. It’s hard to like a guy that worships himself.

18. armchairqb says: Jan 28, 2016 1:01 PM

Panthers fans don’t have a problem with Cam acting like this because most of them have only been on the bandwagon since December. The missed most of his earlier antics.

And they’re only rooting for the team because they like the teal uniforms.

19. shiftyshellshocked says: Jan 28, 2016 1:02 PM

I couldn’t agree more with Urlacher. Some flunky d-back should drill him in the end zone when he does that.

20. The collective IQ of the haters is lower than the PSI of Brady's game balls says: Jan 28, 2016 1:03 PM

Those that don’t like the criticism of Cam always go to the race well one more time.

I think part of it is related to race, but not because of racism. What I mean is, white people have a certain culture, and black people have a certain culture. That’s the way it is. That is why you hear things like “Russell Wilson isn’t black enough”. Because he acts more like he’s white.

White people don’t say, “I dislike Cam Newton because he’s a black QB”, they say “I don’t like Newton because of his showboating”. But in the black culture, “showboating” is what you do. It is normal behavior. It isn’t “showboating” when you are playing pick up basketball. It is defined differently.

Its simply about the way people are raised, and the things they experience. Trying to say its “because I’m black” does far more harm than good. How about you try to understand why those people feel that way, rather than just accusing them of being racist. Accusations just for the sake of accusations is stupid.

Look at different players around the league. Plenty celebrate, but none receive the criticism that Cam receives. The reason is that Cam comes across, and maybe this isn’t true, but its just perception, he comes across as a complete A-hole. Most players celebrate with their team mates and head to the bench. Cam doesn’t look like he is celebrating a TD, he looks like he is rubbing it in the defense’s faces. Gronk spikes the ball, embraces his team mates, heads to the sideline, and then dances with his team mates. Cam hands the ball to a fan, gets up into the defender’s faces, and dances right in their face, rubbing it in. That is what pisses people off. Cam’s celebrations are like a guy who hits a solo home run, in the 3rd inning, down by 14 runs, and stands there for 10 seconds watching it. That kind of thing pisses people off. It just does.

21. chris11le says: Jan 28, 2016 1:05 PM

Surprised the question hasn’t been asked more….how does Cam get away with never getting an excessive celebration penalty?

I figure his antics will keep happening until someone calls him out on it (i.e. throw the flag). Then maybe the coaches will try to get him to tone it down a little.

22. cb28031 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:06 PM

They should label this article as Cam haters please post what you want……

23. markpackman says: Jan 28, 2016 1:07 PM

That’s because Urlacher is a professional, also. As Lombardi said, “act like you’ve been there before”

24. hgamatt says: Jan 28, 2016 1:08 PM

“Once Cam Newton starts acting like a Professional he will be elite like Peyton.”

Also, once the Panthers win the game next weekend, Cam will have one Superbowl win, just like Peyton.

25. glac1 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:09 PM

I appreciate players who act ike they’ve done it before when coming up with a big play. Newton is spoiled and arrogant. Too bad he doesn’t have coaches that would help him grow up…

26. ndnation23 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:09 PM

the best argument against newton dancing is it sets a bad example for the kids. what he does with giving the balls to the kids is fantastic however, and i hope he just limits it to that eventually.
    Remember, kids in high school get penalized for celebrating like that..which is why i said its a bad example. People used to look at Fitz as the example..hands the ref the ball, runs to the sideline, and acts like hes been there before.

27. vikingforlife says: Jan 28, 2016 1:09 PM

Who the HELL cares what Urlacher thinks?? Go back to your cave!! There is football to be played. I love both Peyton and Cam. Yes, they have two VERY different styles. That’s what makes it FUN! Stop sucking the life out of EVERYTHING!!!

28. kitz626 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:10 PM

Von Miller and Demarcus Ware will take care of that.

29. footstepsfalco says: Jan 28, 2016 1:12 PM

Cam has the right to be who he wants. It’s also our right to not like him.

It’s more than just a celebration though, it’s this disingenuous, phony, look-at-me, juvenile persona. No body can stand that, and anyone who tells you they can, is lying.

Want to be the face of the NFL? Want be a role model to a country of fatherless boys? Stop acting like Chris Tucker on the field. Be a man, hide your emotions.

This guy gets so high and so low. That’s who he is though.

30. truthfactory says: Jan 28, 2016 1:12 PM

I agree with Urlscher, but according to Cam Newton and many others in the media, that must mean I’m a racist. Even though I hate it when Johnny Manzell celebrate too.

31. zappa69 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:13 PM

Shut up and stop dressing your son like a girl!!

32. vikingforlife says: Jan 28, 2016 1:13 PM

Urlacher is what??? a professional caveman???

33. prideof10000lakes says: Jan 28, 2016 1:13 PM

He would absolutely despise Cordarrelle Patterson.

34. vancouversportsbro says: Jan 28, 2016 1:14 PM

And Cam is sort of acts like a ten year old kid. He even cried when Colin used his celebration dance, who does that?

35. datageek94 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:14 PM

“I don’t think any fan has a problem with celebrating”
    Actually, I do. Players want to celebrate as their goal, not make a good play. Two examples: Danny Travathan and Desean Jackson. Each one dropped the ball before scoring their first career touchdown. The celebration was more important than scoring the TD.
    All it is is rampant meism and immaturity. I wish they’d just grow up.

36. doggeatdogg says: Jan 28, 2016 1:15 PM

Watch out Urlacher, you will be accused of being racist.

37. Skaffin says: Jan 28, 2016 1:16 PM

38. jmoney74 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:16 PM

celebrate on!

39. tdubdizzle says: Jan 28, 2016 1:16 PM

Fans of Cam Newton are a lot like fans of Donald Trump.

Delusional. If you don’t worship them you’re a hater.

40. Frum Slum says: Jan 28, 2016 1:17 PM

41. jag1959 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:17 PM

A defensive player prefers a guy that doesn’t show them up? I’m shocked, shocked I tell you!
    Yes, I preferred the Barry Sanders approach of simply handing the ball to the nearest official but for every bit as much as it said he’d been there before as it came with the message he would be again. But that was Barry being Barry and this is Cam being Cam. It is what it is.

42. ketch20too says: Jan 28, 2016 1:17 PM

Tremendous talent, unfortunately, also a tremendously immature narcissist. If he grows up and leans how to be a professional(which doesn’t mean you don’t celebrate at all) his talent will get the respect it deserves. Until then, people will be rooting for him to fail.

43. mrjdon says: Jan 28, 2016 1:21 PM

Yet no one bashes Aaron Rodgers for his ‘discount double check’ celebrations (nor should they).

Shut up hypocrites!!

44. confusedfinfan says: Jan 28, 2016 1:25 PM

Good football player, not great but by far one of the most egotistical, arrogant players to set foot on the field.

45. Emmanuel Goldstein says: Jan 28, 2016 1:25 PM

If you don’t want him to dance then keep him out of the endzone? I agree. But that argument only works for how the defense feels about it. Fans don’t like watching him act like a three year old that just went potty like a big boy. Fans at home don’t like watching him rip signs and banners out of opposing fans hands. Fans like watching him throw touchdowns and run for touchdowns. Get up, high five, and get back to work.

Bottom line: Cam Newton is childish. And that’s an undeniable fact.

46. floratiotime says: Jan 28, 2016 1:27 PM

I think Cam should be allowed to prance and dance all he likes … but I also think the play should be live until he stops. and hands the ball to the ref.

47. lapantherfan86 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:27 PM

If all you’re drinking is haterade, then you’ll always be thirsty.

48. ronfai says: Jan 28, 2016 1:28 PM

Same guys who got their panties in a bunch over Cam Newton celebrating his touchdowns turn around and call this the “No Fun League”. He’s having fun , playing with passion and ballin’ out of his mind – don’t like him? Kiss his future ring.

49. Staticphear says: Jan 28, 2016 1:29 PM

“It probably really pissed him off when Favre would always score and then run around hyper excited like he’s never done it before.”

totally agree!

50. dmface says: Jan 28, 2016 1:29 PM

I have no problem with it. Basically I take the stance of “there will be no dancing if you stop Cam”. If you stop him from scoring a touchdown or a first down there will no dancing. Act like you have been there….really… Well I say act like you may never get there again, because in the game football a return trip to the end zone or super bowl is not a certainty. Ask Marino or any critically injured player. Furthermore, I would not open my mouth about how he acted if I could not stop him from scoring. Also, Urlacher talked alot of trash on the field. That does not sound very professional to me, never really saw him help other players up. Who in the heck cares about being professional on the football field. Should I shake opposing players hands after they have just tried to take my head off? The object is to win the game. Basically, what you have is a bunch of people whining and crying. I also, look at it like this, you have a choice to watch or not watch if you don’t like something. Otherwise..stop complaining about it.

51. newsletterczar says: Jan 28, 2016 1:29 PM

I like the Billy “White Shoes” Johnson reference because it shows that this is not a new occurrence; it is getting more play because the celebration is coming from the (presumptive) league MVP on the best team (by record) in the league who is now starting in the biggest game of the season against the backdrop of the 4 time MVP Peyton Manning playing his (maybe) last game. The contrast between the two are so great that you cannot help but notice them. I don’t hate on Cam Newton who is a very good and talented (1st overall pick) player having a great year. If you don’t want to see him celebrate make him go 3 and out.

52. musicfootballprogramming says: Jan 28, 2016 1:30 PM

Stop it stop it STOP IT.

This is even dumber than the PSI nontroversy last year. At least he (probably) won’t get suspended for it.

How many of you complaining about Cam are the same ones accusing the NFL of being the No Fun League?

53. diehardfootballfan says: Jan 28, 2016 1:31 PM

Does anybody care what you think? I think NOT.

54. bucks4ever13 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:31 PM

While I prefer Peyton’s celebration, I’m okay with Cam’s. They are playing a GAME, people! Have fun! He’s not getting in anyone’s face about it. You clearly haven’t been watching the Panthers this year. He’s not seeking out the camera. And in more cases than not, he is involving his teammates. And he’s right… if you don’t like it, so what? Don’t let him in the endzone. Don’t let the Panthers in the endzone. The man clearly loves the game. I love watching the replays that are slowed down and you can see his face. He’s got that grin just as he does any other time but only while barreling down on the defense. His love for the game and fans is infectious and he does nothing but good for the game and that community. Love him or hate him, he does a fantastic job of being an ambassador for the younger generations that will then spend their money to support the next generation of players. He should get to be immature. He’s playing a kid’s game. Get over it.

55. billymutt says: Jan 28, 2016 1:31 PM

Agree with Urlacher one hundred percent.

Newton’s claim of “don’t want me to celebrate, then keep me out of the end zone” is juvenile. You’re a professional athlete, start acting like one. Right now you come across as a spoiled little brat.

56. rollotomasi14 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:32 PM

Not an article about the Patriots, but of course, the very first post mentions a Patriots player. Classic. I think the haters are more obsessed with the Pats than Patriots fans.

57. steeltroll says: Jan 28, 2016 1:32 PM

“Skaffin says:
    Jan 28, 2016 1:16 PM
    Surprise. Old cranky white guy prefers old cranky white guy over a young black guy with spirit.”

Right. I’m sure Mean Joe Green and Barry “Showboat” Sanders think Cam’s antics are the bee’s knees.

58. donaldmaltba says: Jan 28, 2016 1:32 PM

Cam doesn’t get in defenses faces when he celebrates he did that once against the titans because he got in cams face. Please stop making things up to fit your natrative. You guys are rediculous. Quit hating and get a life.

59. bushido49ers says: Jan 28, 2016 1:34 PM

I get it that there are some that don’t like the Cam’s celebratory dances. And that’s cool. I like Cam as a professional athlete. I also love Peyton Manning.

I love NFL football!

60. mswravens says: Jan 28, 2016 1:35 PM

why do we care what the over-rated Brian Urlacher thinks?

why do we care what i think? we dont, but i’ll tell you anyway. I agree with Urlacher…BUT, Cam giving TD balls to kids in the stands is about the best thing going in the NFL these days.

61. bushido49ers says: Jan 28, 2016 1:36 PM

And I’m a horrible proof reader. Please forgive the grammatical errors. LOL

62. corkspop says: Jan 28, 2016 1:37 PM

17 – 1

63. rollotomasi14 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:38 PM

The season is almost over. Won’t have to worry about it next season (oh wait, I forgot, every team is a dynasty after one good season nowadays)

64. welcomehomelosangelesrams says: Jan 28, 2016 1:38 PM

Celebrating a TD is one thing, but Newton celebrates first downs too. It’s funny when he’s so busy celebrating a first down that he doesn’t notice the holding flag that was thrown negating it. That’s happened several times this year. Then all his teammates are walking back to the line of scrimmage and Cam’s looking around going “What happened???”

65. glac1 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:39 PM

obama is training him…

66. thejuddstir says: Jan 28, 2016 1:39 PM

So what you’re saying is that it’s up to a team’s defense to show a player how to act professionally and maturely. A rather immature thought/comment by MDS.

67. whyalwaysthehate says: Jan 28, 2016 1:39 PM

Manning is more like Max McGee, except for the HGH use. Max was old school, booze baby.

68. twincities90210 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:40 PM

Randy moss shoots the moon to Packer fans and Joe Buck gets butt hurt over it.

69. goseahawks24 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:40 PM

I dislike Cam Newton, not because of his celebrations and whatnot. I don’t like him because I don’t think he’s a good leader. In the years past when things are not going well on the field, he’s had a reputation of becoming a cry baby. He yells at coaches and teammates l, he’s pouted on the sidelines, etc. This year, when things are going his way he’s a completely different person. I just wish that he was more consistent in the way he presented himself. I’m a Seahawks fan and I love that Russell Wilson will always conduct himself in a professional manner and that he keeps his cool is tough situations. Cam Newton is very likely to lose his cool in tough situations and that’s what I don’t like about him

70. lionsfan123 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:41 PM

I dislike how this has become acceptable:

“If you don’t want him to celebrate, keep him out of the end zone.”

No…players are going to get in the endzone. That’s how sports work. People are simply asking Newton to have some class. There is a difference between class and what he is doing. Urlacher is right.

And no, this has absolutely nothing to do with race…so let’s not even play that card.

Having said all of this, I’m a huge Cam Newton fan. He’s done SO many good things for the team, the fans, the community…He’s awesome. I’m excited to see him as an up and coming star in the NFL. The singular thing I don’t like about him is that he finds it necessary to dance every time his offense does what they are paid to do. Act like a pro, man!

71. carolinabear2015 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:42 PM

I guess its okay for Aaron Rodgers to skip around the field fist pumping and running up to the defensive players doing the discount double check and blowing his smoking gun after touchdowns.

72. shiftyshellshocked says: Jan 28, 2016 1:43 PM

Then when he does his post game interview he’s as mellow as can be. Weird.

73. preacherwally says: Jan 28, 2016 1:45 PM

Why do we blast Cam for celebrating, but it’s okay for D-linemen to celebrate a sack or a defensive back to celebrate a pick? Why can we celebrate a middle linebacker jacking a dude up when he catches a pass going over the middle, but this kid gets blasted for celebrating accomplishing the object of the game, crossing the goalie with the ball in your hand?

74. 8oneanddones says: Jan 28, 2016 1:45 PM

Wasn’t there a similar debate about Deion Sanders 20 years ago? If Cam and his team keep winning games, they can celebrate all they want.

75. pantherfan1973299 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:50 PM

To every defensive player who ever celebrated a sack and to every hater on here, just give it a rest. You sound like a bunch of scandalized old women. The man celebrates, deal with it.

76. dtroxallday says: Jan 28, 2016 1:51 PM

As soon as Camera Newton challenged defenses to keep him out of the end zons, he lainted a giant bullseye on his back and you just know that every defense out there is waiting for that shot
    Newton reminds me of the President in Idiocracy.

77. ebrownwareagle says: Jan 28, 2016 1:52 PM

And How many Did BrianU carry a team to the Super Bowl? Absolutely none and was kick out the league for lack of production and didn’t quite know how to walk away. Yea that guy and we give this credence because of what? Fact of the matter is this dude is on the verge of being The face of the NFL whether ” mainstream America ” likes it or not. Me personally I’m glad he is unapologetic about who he I or how he plays the game. He just dancing. I don’t recall “Americans” being as outraged when Aaron Rodgers thrust his man parts in another mans face or at the opposing teams fan base. Or even when Mr Tom Brady screaming episodes at people when he on the field and just did something good. Funny deal is White America asking a Black Man to be role Model to their Children. Talk about a Oxymoron!

78. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 28, 2016 1:52 PM

The answer to Florio’s question last night…

79. tb12bestqbevah says: Jan 28, 2016 1:54 PM

No one outside of Charlotte prefers Cam’s look-at-me, look-at-me dancing.

It’s juvenile, narcissistic and is showing up the defense.

On the other hand it’s indicative of the childishness of the players these days. You’ve got cornerbacks who get smoked for a first down then thump their chest when they make the tackle. You’ve got D-linemen who flex their muscles or do their own dance after a sack even if their team is down by 30.

80. skinsgal4life says: Jan 28, 2016 1:54 PM

I agree. Throwing Seattle’s 12th man flag did it for me. I hope Denver kicks their butts!

81. davetrembley says: Jan 28, 2016 1:58 PM

None of Cam Newton’s antics, however “in your face” they appear, can match the postseason bat flip of Jose Baustista in the MLB playoffs. That was off the charts taunting and arrogance.

82. dcpatfan says: Jan 28, 2016 1:58 PM

…and I prefer long wavy locks over implants…
    we all prefer something.

83. runningoutofboundsisforgringos says: Jan 28, 2016 2:00 PM

Urloser

84. musicfootballprogramming says: Jan 28, 2016 2:00 PM

Someone gave it to him, or draped it in his face. It was a funny moment in his home stadium.

85. jimmc1009 says: Jan 28, 2016 2:01 PM

There’s nothing better than a defensive lineman celebrating a sack after the opposing QB already put up 350 yards and 3 TD and built a 20 point lead over them.

86. ayub04 says: Jan 28, 2016 2:01 PM

Where was this issue when, Deion Sanders( showboating), Brett Favre(running around), Tom Brady(spiking the ball and talking trash) and Aaron Rodgers( champions belt celebration), celebrate their touchdowns? Do we have conversations about maturity when they did it or do it?

87. mrrmiyagi says: Jan 28, 2016 2:02 PM

As the Chinese saying goes: “The emptier the bucket, the louder it bangs.” Newton’s look-at-me style only shows his lack of substance inside. Classless clown.

88. packergator says: Jan 28, 2016 2:03 PM

Cam Newton, meet Von Miller.

89. link49 says: Jan 28, 2016 2:04 PM

He is good QB, but also a good Clown

90. fishyinalittledishy says: Jan 28, 2016 2:05 PM

I don’t like towel head but I think he is going to dump the Broncos

91. silvernblacksabbath says: Jan 28, 2016 2:15 PM

People hate Manziel too…..because he’s black. Oh wait, that can’t be it….

92. thescooterscore says: Jan 28, 2016 2:22 PM

honestly surprised there’s no follow-up directive in there for the reporter to get off his lawn.

93. flipola says: Jan 28, 2016 2:22 PM

Hope Peyton throws the game-winning TD, then dabs right in Cam’s stupid face.

94. Frum Slum says: Jan 28, 2016 2:22 PM

Everyone love JJ Watt and Gronk when they celebrate.

JJ did the Nae Nae, the Whip. a Dab and Ran off….all in the same celebration after a sack and everyone loved it

95. kchoya says: Jan 28, 2016 2:23 PM

“But the reality is Newton has the best argument in the debate over dancing: If you don’t want him to celebrate, keep him out of the end zone.”

Except he celebrates even on routine plays, like gaining a first down.

96. cmj0121 says: Jan 28, 2016 2:28 PM

Urlacher prefers Peyton’s professionalism to Newton’s celebrations…and prefers both to Brady’s CHEATING.

97. carloswlassiter says: Jan 28, 2016 2:30 PM

No one celebrates more than Aaron Rodgers and JJ Watt. Where’s the hate for them?

98. dexterismyhero says: Jan 28, 2016 2:30 PM

You wonder if he has a sponsor that pays him for doing it each time.

99. vickisgarbage says: Jan 28, 2016 2:32 PM

Yep washed up white guy likes the other washed up white guy and not the up and coming black kid.

Shocker.

100. NinersRule says: Jan 28, 2016 2:35 PM

I agree on Cam, but Urlacher’s opinion matters about as much as mine does.

101. ziplock10 says: Jan 28, 2016 2:37 PM

There are 3 types that dislike Cams celebrations.

1. Non football types

2. Defences- He is showing them up in their minds.

3. People with any football IQ.

It’s simple, you have 25 seconds once the ball is set. So right now, they allow Cam to do what he does. (Which in and of itself, I don’t care.. Stop him if you don’t like it) When they start losing, they’ll tighten up.

Watching them, they come close to a lot of delay of game penalties. And forget going for 2 points after a TD.

The commander on the offense has to be ready and thinking of the next play. Hard to do when you’re getting your groove on… But they are the odds on favorite to win. They don’t need silly extra points of 2 point conversions…..

102. mviglianco says: Jan 28, 2016 2:41 PM

Why can’t he be old fashioned like Joe Namath?

103. beniselite says: Jan 28, 2016 2:41 PM

Has Cam Newton ever choreographed a touchdown celebration like Peyton Manning has?

104. dualprime says: Jan 28, 2016 2:47 PM

Arrogance is its own reward! Cam will learn this lesson on Sunday, February 7.

105. motsuret06 says: Jan 28, 2016 2:47 PM

We in Carolina do not care what Urlacher or anyone else thinks about Cam or the Panthers. We support Cam Newton because he is our quarterback. People should just get off from his back and let Cam be Cam. While I have a lot of respect for Peyton Manning, I will be pulling for a Super Bowl win for our home team. GO PANTHERS!

106. dynastyposeiden says: Jan 28, 2016 2:47 PM

I agree with urlacher on act like you have been there before idea , BUT any celebration of a pass breakup or sack or anything is just as moronic if not more . In fact all that stuff should draw penalty flags far quicker than someone going to the ground or having a group celebration afte a scoring play.
    Tell jared allen or the idiotic von miller to tone it down twenty notches then we will stop people from celebrating TDs

107. jgedgar70 says: Jan 28, 2016 2:53 PM

For the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000th time, Cam is being singled out for doing stuff that everyone else is doing. No one ever questions Aaron Rodgers’ maturity, class, etc when they do the same stuff Cam does.

And I am sick to damn death of the “act like you’ve been there before” line that really means, “when you score, act like you are at a funeral. Do not show any hint of joy or happiness. If you do anything that looks like a celebration, you will be castigated as an immature, narcissistic, look-at-me spoiled brat.”

If you are Cam Newton, of course. If you are Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, you can say and do absolutely anything you want and no one will criticize anything.

108. junkmtb says: Jan 28, 2016 2:54 PM

Who cares what Brian Urlacher thinks??? Or his opinion on the matter!!! And he’s been relevant since when??????

109. randomguy9999 says: Jan 28, 2016 2:56 PM

it’s not about doing what he wants, his rights, etc…. it’s about his professionalism and seriousness about the game….

Arizona was 3TDs out with 11:00 to play and he’s doing that immature jumping jack celebration for the entire time his D is on the field…. not studying up for the next series like a Manning or Brees or Brady or Rodgers would be doing

7 days before, they gave up FOUR TDs in EIGHT minutes and very nearly got kicked out of the playoffs because of that immaturity… and it’s been happening all year long

Cam doesn’t get it yet… if they keep on making a habit of laying down against top 5 seeds once they get a lead on, they are going to learn a very hard lesson

2 monster Ds, so it’s Cam with Stellar raw talent or PManning with experience, leadership, able to run the entire game with no help from the line at every snap, and in the best shape he’s been in 3 years…..

Cam and immature celebrations are going to learn a hard lesson next week

110. notmanning says: Jan 28, 2016 2:58 PM

To each his own. All he is saying is that he prefers Manning over Cam, big deal.

111. 34defense2014 says: Jan 28, 2016 2:59 PM

Cam, ooh Cam! Grow up Dude & be a Pro!

112. frank booth says: Jan 28, 2016 3:03 PM

I can’t take anything Brian Urlacher says seriously since his horrifying hair transplant. If you haven’t seen it, you should take the time to find it.

113. intrafinesse says: Jan 28, 2016 3:05 PM

>>But the reality is Newton has the best argument in the debate over dancing: If you don’t want him to celebrate, keep him out of the end zone.

That’s not a good argument. If someone acts childish then call them out. What if someone acts even more immature? Just say “Keep them out of the end zone?”.
    The Panthers haven’t been good in a while, so people are happy they get a chance.
    But it will get old quickly if they repeat and act this way next year. I think few non-Panthers fans will like their celebrations after a year.

They are low class, but it’s accepted because they have been a bad franchise for so long, and they are an excellent team.

If the Miami Dolphins acted this way, everyone would be on them. Or if the Patriots did it, then World War 3 would break out.

Arrogance is not a positive quality.
    I’m rooting against them, but I expect they will win, probably by a big score.

114. silverbackdk says: Jan 28, 2016 3:06 PM

What I like about Newton is that he gives gameballs to kids. The rest I really don’t like. Right now he is hard to stop and playing great – but in a few years when he can’t outrun Linebackers he will pay the price for taunting defences over the years.

115. intrafinesse says: Jan 28, 2016 3:07 PM

Every DE without exception does a dance now, not just JJ, though his are funnier, like the selfie. But sometimes he just salutes.

Cam and the Panthers have excessive celebrations.
    Other teams don’t act like that. Not even the Seahawks (and I’m not a Haws fan).

>>Frum Slum says:
    Jan 28, 2016 2:22 PM
    Everyone love JJ Watt and Gronk when they celebrate.

116. shlort says: Jan 28, 2016 3:12 PM

If a player scores a touchdown, celebration is in order. Getting a first down and celebrating, well that gets annoying.

The celebrating is geared toward the casual fan. Trying to get the casual fan to like football is something big for the NFL. The only problem with attempting to capture new fans is the chance the old fan will be lost. The NFL will learn that a casual fan might switch to watching tennis instead of football at the drop of a hat. Then what? Realize ignoring the loyal football fan was a bad idea because the loyal fan didn’t like the new product and quit watching it? NASCAR is learning right about now. The NFL will learn in a few years.

117. mviglianco says: Jan 28, 2016 3:17 PM

I love that people hate my QB and my team. It means the team is doing something correct.

118. daramsman says: Jan 28, 2016 3:19 PM

Wait a minute. Let me get this right, because YOU all don’t like what Cam does on the field makes it wrong? GTFOH!

The man has been a model citizen on and off the field, donates his time and money to the community and never publicizes it. But most of you sit on your fat butts every Sunday and do nothing but drink beer and criticize Cam Newton.

I’m sure this has NOTHING to do with the color of his skin. Right? And don’t bring up Johnny Football either Cam isn’t snorting coke in Vegas, missing practices etc.

Too many Al Bundys out here re-living their high school glory years. Just bunch a bored old haterz!

119. mjj09qcity says: Jan 28, 2016 3:20 PM

Wonder if some of you people would feel different if Cam was the QB of your team?!…go Panthers…keep pounding!

120. dsigrey says: Jan 28, 2016 3:22 PM

All of you people that don’t like when guys do a dance are pathetic. Maybe if your team won more often, you could get excited about that instead of getting excited when another team loses (like the Pats) or mad when a guy celebrates (Cam).

It’s all good stuff. the only time it’s stupid or uncalled for is when a team is down by 21 points and they get a TD or worse get a first down. Even worse is when you’re down a ton and sack the then celebrate like you’ve been doing it all night. I loved it when that dude from the Bears blew out his knee while celebrating sacking Brady when there were down 30 points. That was someone way of back handing an idiot.

121. sincewinningsuperbowlravenshavebeen3rdinafcnorth says: Jan 28, 2016 3:22 PM

I do hate me some cam Newton! Just another brother acting a fool! Color me shocked! Hope Peyton wins. Much more likeable!

122. NRG Stadium's Wonky Grass says: Jan 28, 2016 3:23 PM

I don’t understand why there aren’t more excessive celebration and delay of game penalties in general. Particularly delay of game. Spiking the ball at midfield and what not.

123. metalman5150 says: Jan 28, 2016 3:24 PM

Oh how lucky we are to witness the greatness tat is Cam Newton’s dancing. Please another pelvic thrust Mr. Newton.

How about a tea bag while you’re at it?

124. selfpromotingqb says: Jan 28, 2016 3:25 PM

People dislike Cam because he acts like an obnoxious juvenile not because he’s black.
    Same reason people dislike Manziel and Rob Griffin.

125. leontrotsky says: Jan 28, 2016 3:28 PM

Breaking news: retired linebacker takes issue with flashy offensive player.

I hate the argument about guys not ‘respecting the game’ or whatever. If you don’t like celebrating, don’t do it. Don’t worry about what someone else is doing.

They’ve only lost one game this year, he can celebrate all he wants.

126. stonedwhitetrash says: Jan 28, 2016 3:30 PM

Could Donald Trump be Cam’s real Father?

127. iowahbr says: Jan 28, 2016 3:31 PM

Old school (maybe his final) meets new school QB’s. The NFL could not have written a better script. Except an all-time or close viewing audience

128. hafftime says: Jan 28, 2016 3:34 PM

How’s ben’s shoulder ?

129. bam5239 says: Jan 28, 2016 3:39 PM

These guys play a freaking game for a living. Grown men acting like kids playing a kid’s game. Oh the horror.

I’ve watched all but 2 games since Cam was drafted including the pre-season and I have never seen him yelling at coaches. I’ve seen him bark at teammates, put his arm around their shoulders and talk about what went wrong, I’ve seen him calm and console guys from both sides of the line of scrimmage. But I’ve never seen him go off screaming at teammates or coaches.

The man made some mistakes in college that he’s owned up to and he’s been a model citizen ever since.

Lastly on the race thing. There is a double standard in how Newton is treated from the broadcast booth to scouting reports. Manning sulks during losses with his helmet instead of a towel, Rodgers celebrates rushing gains with his signature move, no one bats an eye at these guys. I don’t know if it’s a race thing, but Newton is treated different then his contemporaries.

130. hallofchad says: Jan 28, 2016 3:40 PM

We love our Haters !!

Please keep it up !!

131. footballalldayeveryday says: Jan 28, 2016 3:42 PM

If you can’t hate his game, find something else to hate right? Haha

132. dsigrey says: Jan 28, 2016 3:43 PM

It’s crazy how the media is building this up out of nowhere. I guess they need their villain and since Brady and the Pats are out Cam’s dancing is a easy target. We know they won’t ever do anything to tarnish Payton. You know for a fact that if this was Car vs NE, this would never be an issue and Brady would be the devil himself.

133. dreemeagle says: Jan 28, 2016 3:46 PM

hmm, Urlacher, the other under-talented wholly overrated MLB of his time the bookend with the former pre-game minstrel pet of Art Modell), who also REQUIRED two 400+ lb. behemoth DTs up front blocking for him in order to be even remotely effective, whose only real claim to fame is that, like Richard Blaine (think “Casablanca”), he’ll always have Paris (even if for Urlacher, it only Hilton, the world-famous jet-set sleepover)…

that Urlacher?

and now he’s trying to sound “old-school” like the former Bears head coach who is ridiculously mis-credited with “inventing” the modern TE position over Doak Walker and John Mackey?

oh, yeah, i’m impressed…

134. texansfan82 says: Jan 28, 2016 3:47 PM

I think it comes down to the player and how they motivate themselves. I’ve played sports my entire life, and am generally more quiet when playing than other people. If someone trash-talks me, I use it as motivation to play even harder against that person to ensure that I win the 1-on-1 battle. I’ve never wanted to give someone that kind of ammunition against me.

Other guys live for trash-talk. They are able to shrug it off when someone does it to them. So someone like Cam lives for being able to celebrate, however you also see him sulking on the sidelines when things aren’t going his way. That kind of emotional rollercoaster can be exhausting for a team, and fortunately for them they haven’t had many lows this year.

As he said though, if you want to keep him from celebrating, just keep him out of the endzone.

135. sopadegato says: Jan 28, 2016 3:48 PM

If it was just Cam it’d be annoying enough, but there are times I think the entire Panthers organization is a dance troupe.

If they’d start getting all those excessive celebration penalties all the other teams that do a quarter of the celebrating get, it’d calm them down – eventually.

136. plum54 says: Jan 28, 2016 3:51 PM

So he’s basically saying its HGH he prefers?
    Don’t like the celebrations ? Easy answer to that : prevent them!
    I foresee a lot of Cams dancing super bowl Sunday .

137. killitandeatit says: Jan 28, 2016 3:51 PM

Celebrate for 30 seconds every time HE gets a first down ? I’m not a fan of the frequency of those celebrations because there are many first downs in a game.

138. cafetero1075 says: Jan 28, 2016 4:05 PM

I don’t mind celebrations, if you can back it up. If you’re a scrub like Manziel, you have no business show boating.

139. taeh324 says: Jan 28, 2016 4:07 PM

I have no problem with Cam celebrating, because after all it should be something you have fun while doing. A lot on here always complain about Goodell and the league making it the No Fun League but than complain about a guy having fun celebrating when his team scores.

140. bubbahotepp says: Jan 28, 2016 4:07 PM

I think people dislike him because his dancing isn’t so much dancing as a cry for help.

141. kyotobg says: Jan 28, 2016 4:16 PM

Still laughing at all the Cam haters. Every single one of you anti-Cam mouth breathers would love the guy if he wore your team’s jersey or had led your team to the SuperBowl.

142. jonwill57 says: Jan 28, 2016 4:18 PM

Brian Erlacher saw far too many celebrations towards the end of his career. OUCH!

143. mviglianco says: Jan 28, 2016 4:18 PM

The Panthers should be more old school like the 85 Bears.

144. jonwill57 says: Jan 28, 2016 4:21 PM

I also feel these celebrations are bit much! I’m proposing a new rule to help curb some of the nonsense….
    The play clock should begin immediately after the TD has been confirmed. The ball should be spotted, the officials in place and as soon as the referee gets the word…begin the play clock. 5 yards for delay of game makes an extra point now become 38 yards!

145. RE LEE says: Jan 28, 2016 4:24 PM

I don’t care much about Cam ripping the opposing fans’ stuff. He is disrespectful but guess what? If you want him to stop his showboating, beat him. Simple.
    Then he’ll hide under his babushka.

146. thatneuneu says: Jan 28, 2016 4:24 PM

The same folks who wouldn’t like Ali’s style in the 60’s. He’s fun to watch. If your team stops him, he’ll be fun to watch for you too. Get over it. Go Panthers #keeppounding

147. scjohnny says: Jan 28, 2016 4:32 PM

Enjoy your new hair Brian you probably celebrated like Cam when you saw you werent bald anymore

148. oaklegend says: Jan 28, 2016 4:41 PM

I’m sure Newton will cry himself to sleep tonight.

149. boogerhut says: Jan 28, 2016 4:42 PM

He’s just as annoying as Kap with his biceps kiss or Johnny Wad with his money signs.

150. grota1 says: Jan 28, 2016 4:43 PM

To me its less about Cam, more about finding a reason to hate a winner. Think about it, the teams getting lambasted on these forums are mostly the teams who win. The Pats, Seahawks, Packers and now the Panthers.

Having said that, I do think most of us pile on Cam not because he’s black, its more about he’s the QB of a winning team. Most QBs “celebrate” in a more refined, subtle manner. We’re not used to seeing QB’s celebrate like we see WR’s or DE’s celebrate, certainly not after EVERY first down.

151. remembertheagenda says: Jan 28, 2016 4:52 PM

Urlacher is right.

Peyton only celebrates after touchdown PASSES, and is only arrogant in every commercial he has ever done (laser, rocket arm).

#baloney

152. jerry944 says: Jan 28, 2016 5:02 PM

Who cares what hair club for men prefers..i prefer ray lewis over u any day

153. jerry944 says: Jan 28, 2016 5:06 PM

Urlacher is just defending a fellow HGH buddy

154. bhlobos says: Jan 28, 2016 5:07 PM

Personally, I don’t mind celebrations when it’s raw excitement… screaming, jumping, whatever… it’s the posing, then the “dab”, then the superman, then the dance, and THEN giving the ball to a kid… where’s the spontaneity and where’s the flag for excessive celebration?

And no, I still wouldn’t like those actions if he was on my team. I didn’t like it when Baldwin crapped a football last year, but I still like him as a player and person. You can like a player and his game, but not like the actions…

155. bhlobos says: Jan 28, 2016 5:09 PM

——————————————-

I don’t know about anyone else, but I didn’t like Cam’s antics when the team was terrible. Love the game, but don’t like the player…

156. csa255 says: Jan 28, 2016 5:14 PM

For goodness sake, every player is different. As long as his team is winning, he can do whatever he wants.

157. thermanmerman99 says: Jan 28, 2016 5:19 PM

Cam reminds me of that clown Florida marlins pitcher who celebrated like an idiot every time he threw a strike and he eventually got his in an on field brawl and haven’t heard from him since

158. corporatemediaprostitute says: Jan 28, 2016 5:33 PM

Yeah, because Ulrlacher was always a very humble guy on the football field. Humility has no place on a professional football field. Sportsmanship? Absolutely. But, how does one humbly try to knock the guy across from him into next week? More dog whistles.

159. packmanfan says: Jan 28, 2016 5:33 PM

There is nothing at all wrong when a player shows his enthusiasm and fun for playing the game.
    More could show it and act like Cam.

160. thermanmerman99 says: Jan 28, 2016 5:33 PM

It would be funny though to see Steve Smith’s massive ego get shattered if Carolina won it all. Remember all the talk last year about how Carolina missed his leadership and that was why they struggled so much hahahahahaha so much for that argument

161. savoirfaire2016 says: Jan 28, 2016 5:34 PM

Love football, and love the celebrations, cause thats what the fans are doing in the stands. DAB on ’em CAM

162. runtheball says: Jan 28, 2016 5:38 PM

I love Cam’s celebrating. The problem I have is other than his superior short yardage ability, he is an average QB on a great team. It is sad the way the media over hypes any black QB that has any success. They did it with McNabb, Vince Young, RGIII, Russell Wilson and now Newton. At least Wilson didn’t let it go to his head and continued to get better.

163. condor75 says: Jan 28, 2016 5:40 PM

Hmm didn’t hear all this stuff when ridges from Green Bay was discount double checking. To victor goes the spoils. too many haters, if you don’t like the celebration, don’t watch, that simple

164. hawkforlife says: Jan 28, 2016 5:47 PM

It’s not celebrating that bothers me it’s the planned aspect to it all. A QB or WR or RB scores, jump up and down all you want, scream like a little girl, it’s OK, but with Newton there’s no spontaneity, there’s just “Look at me”. He poses like a spoiled model. It drives me nuts and no it’s not because he’s black, I’m a Hawks fan after all.

165. 1look2013 says: Jan 28, 2016 6:06 PM

Celebrating is one thing, doing a dance routine to call attention to himself is another. Very immature . He’ll grow out of it .

166. bornahawker says: Jan 28, 2016 6:11 PM

#54 knows a thing or two about being a pro. Newton is an egomaniac in a room full of ego. Standing out in a room of 53 is a tall task. I guess quarterbacks were supposed to have class like our teams guy.
    Go Hawks!

167. youdrivemenutseagles says: Jan 28, 2016 6:16 PM

I see now why they had to get rid of Steve Smith. Somehow, I don’t think we’d see this out of Cam if he was still there. And thinking about “why we wouldn’t see that”, makes me laugh.

168. daramsman says: Jan 28, 2016 6:41 PM

You guys can call Cam any name you want..but in the end you’ll be calling him SB Champ biyatches!!!!

169. nyneal says: Jan 28, 2016 6:58 PM

I agree with Urlacher.
    Unfortunately, guys like Newton are the ESPN generation and grew up watching other dummies celebrate and gyrate every time they got a 1st down, even if their team was trailing by 30 points.
    So I can’t blame Newton because he thinks that’s the way a pro should act. He’s wrong, but it’s useless to try to get him or any of these other me-me-me players to change.
    Dick Butkus, the greatest LB’er in NFL history — bar none — had it right. When asked what he would have done if a player scored a TD against his Bears and then started doing one of these celebratory dances, said he’d run over and knock the guy on his butt, then stand over him and ask him if he planned on doing any more dancing.
    And he would have, too. Butkus was a no nonsense great player and I saw him single handedly destroy my Packers many times.
    Anyone who says he isn’t the greatest LB’er who ever played is wrong. As a Packers fan, I hated him. But he was by far the best LB’er ever. Ray Lewis couldn’t carry his jock, and neither could anyone else.

170. nomoreseasontix says: Jan 28, 2016 7:01 PM

Kinda sounds like grumpy old man stuff.
    I’m old and he doesn’t bother me. I’m happy to see him play.
    He may end up being the best QB of a generation.
    He looks that good.
    He’s worked his butt off to get where he is. Why shouldn’t he enjoy it any way he wants to? He looks like a guy enjoying himself. I like that about him.

171. nomoreseasontix says: Jan 28, 2016 7:10 PM

I’m an old white guy and I dont see why everything on the planet has to end up with race.
    Cam is a stellar quarterback. Why does he have to be a stellar black quarterback?
    I’m with Morgan Freeman. You get rid of racism by getting rid of the talk of race. As long as there is a distinction, there will be racism.
    How about we let Cam be just a good quarterback?

172. bobsnygiants says: Jan 28, 2016 8:12 PM

Peyton don’t dance because too much HGH.

173. ejmat3 says: Jan 28, 2016 8:13 PM

My Vikings could learn a thing or two from Brian Urlacher! What a smart comment and Brian used to destroy our team, so as much as I hate the guy, I have the up most respect for such a HoF caliber athlete. Cam’s celebrations are way over the top, but being a fan of team that has been a complete failure the past 55 years I know what it feels like to have Cam’s intensity!

Brian Urlacher is easily one of the greatest LB’ers of all time and I know because he would just dominate my Vikings and many other teams in the NFL.

174. calliamikob says: Jan 28, 2016 8:39 PM

I’m a Barry Sanders fan. I was there when he passed 2000 yards. I’m a fan of “act like you’ve been there before”.

I hate when offense AND defense act like children after every play.

I don’t care what color you are. Act like a professional.

What I’m really sick of (as are most of the posters judging by likes/dislikes) is the claim that Cam Newton’s color/race has anything to do with the criticism.

EVERYONE in the NFL of note gets criticism for EVERYTHING they do. The only difference with Cam is that (1) he is winning more than anyone else and (2) the criticism itself gets more attention by a media looking to sensationalize anything and everything to maximize profits.

It’s not about race. All NFL stars get criticism. Grow up.

175. The Almighty Cabbage says: Jan 28, 2016 9:20 PM

For me, it’s not about race. I can look myself in the mirror and honestly say that. I also have no problem with an outburst of triumphant emotion when a big play is made as that is simply human nature.

What I don’t like is the choreographed nonsense, anything lasting longer than a second or two, and/or anything involving more than one human or any kind of props.

I have no problem with Urlacher “calling Cam out” over it. Cam will need to continue to play at a high level for a very long time to get the respect that Urlaher gets. Cam might just do it, too, but Urlacher already earned his in many, many ways. Urlacher may be the smartest LB I ever saw play. NOBODY ever ran ANY defense ANY better than Urlacher ran the Tampa 2 in Chicago.

When my fellow Packer fans and I almost universally respect a member of the Chicago Bears, you know he earned it.

176. sariff420 says: Jan 28, 2016 9:26 PM

I like starting the playclock immediately after having a touchdown confirmed. And the requisite penalty for delay of game on the PAT.

177. jvw1982 says: Jan 28, 2016 9:43 PM

I wonder how professional he thinks about having HGH mailed to your house…..

178. seattlesue427 says: Jan 28, 2016 9:53 PM

People have a problem with Cam because of the way he presents himself. He gloats when he wins, he pouts when he loses, and that stinkin’ towel is just a joke. I don’t care what position he plays, how his team is doing, what color he is, or what he did in college. He’s just annoying.

My big question…why isn’t he getting flagged for excessive celebration, delay of game, or taunting? He’s done all three and never gets flagged.

179. rsellersus says: Jan 28, 2016 10:22 PM

He must be racist…

180. pittsburghdamned says: Jan 28, 2016 11:20 PM

Urban Manziel will never change his stripes. Don’t hold your breath

181. mckyousickblog says: Jan 28, 2016 11:42 PM

So Manning made your lone Super Bowl tolerable…

182. youdrivemenutseagles says: Jan 28, 2016 11:59 PM

Oh be quiet Brian, you sound like a 80 year old woman.

183. unkleruckus says: Jan 29, 2016 12:06 AM

ketch20too says:
    Jan 28, 2016 1:17 PM

Let’s take inventory….
    Jr. college championship
    Major college championship
    League MVP
    $100 mill contract
    Soon to be super bowl championship…

Maybe you’re just not rooting hard enough

184. unkleruckus says: Jan 29, 2016 12:13 AM

Too bad they don’t make bandaids for hurt feelings! All his showboating landed him a lucrative endorsement deal with Beats headphones…..lol

185. unkleruckus says: Jan 29, 2016 12:20 AM

You mean the same Steve Smith that will be watching Cam on SB Sunday ? The one that rocks the baby, rows the boat, and has a million other first down and touchdown celebrations? You must be referring to the former Giants WR, either that or you just started watching football last year

186. unkleruckus says: Jan 29, 2016 12:38 AM

Arrogance is not a positive quality.
    I’m rooting against them, but I expect they will win, probably by a big score.

Can someone please make football knowledge mandatory for this forum!? The panthers have only existed for 20 years and this is their 2 be Super Bowl , they were in the playoffs last year also. So in the past 20 years the panthers have been to 2 Super Bowls . Wanna guess how many the Cowboys, Dolphins, Chiefs , Bengals, Bears, etc…. Have been to in that span?

187. nflmytwocents says: Jan 29, 2016 12:47 AM

I was a huge Brett Farve fan. Saw a recent video tribute to him that helped me appreciate why. Incredible skills and he looked like he had fun playing. Always smiling. Fast forward to Cam Newton and here we have an incredible athlete playing a brutal sport. Except he’s playing the QB position like no one ever has. He’s scoring rushing touchdowns by leaping and throwing his body over or under huge defensive lineman all trying to kill him. He celebrates just like any other player who gets a td because he works just as hard to get there. He’s rushing 5 tough yards to get first downs so yes, he will celebrate like a running back. He is a privilege to watch for any fan of football. Enjoy the ride folks. Greatness should be appreciated. Not hated.

188. skinsdiehard says: Jan 29, 2016 12:53 AM

The problem is that Cam’s celebration comes across as obnoxious. If he made it more fun, then no problem. Deion’s dances seemed a lot more fun at the time because they seemed genuine and celebratory with his teammates. Cam seems to be doing just to draw attention to himself and puts on a plastic, fake smile. It doesn’t seem to come from a good place.

189. vikingforlife says: Jan 29, 2016 4:07 AM

It’s funny, I haven’t heard Peyton complain about Cam, or vice versa, you know why?? Both are class acts. Urlacher? Not so much!

190. wolfpack11blog says: Jan 29, 2016 7:05 AM

1. All of you sound like a bunch of cry babies
    2. Hate on your level, if you aren’t an elite quaterback in the NFL or elite athlete in any sport you don’t deserve to say a damn thing about Cam Newton
    3. You don’t know what he has went thru to get to where he is and I’ll be damned if he hasn’t earned the right to celebrate every td, first down, or any accomplishment he achieves. You have no right to try and take that from him because you do to ow his journey and have never walked in his shoes
    4. If you don’t want him to celebrate, man the hell up and put on some shoulder pads, be a linebacker and stop him. Oh never mind you aren’t and never will be, that’s why you’re sitting here blogging about him
    5. Some of you have never played a sport in your life past the high school level, so your credibility is shot
    6. Who cares what Urlacher says, he’s done with and hasn’t and never will carry his team to an NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. BUT I bet if he did he would be dancing on the field
    7. Just because you don’t understand him doesn’t give you the right to criticize him, but guess what, even if you do he doesn’t give a damn. He isn’t reading this blog, if he was all you’re doing is fueling his emotion.
    8. The kid plays with heart and emotion, and no one has or deserves the right to try and take that away from him
    9. He set goals and followed thru with them and he’s accomplishing then, SO DANCE YOUNG MAN DANCE
    10. Finally put the effort that you’re putting into criticizing Cam newton into your own life and work Ethic and someday you may be great like he is at what you do
    11. I am not a Cam Newtown or Panthers fan. I am a Patriots fan, so let’s clarify that
    12. Pray for yourselves. Build other people up instead of tearing them down. When you criticize others, you are truly what’s wrong with the world.

CDJ

191. headwoundharry says: Jan 29, 2016 9:14 AM

Camera Newton craves attention and has a profound need for self-worship. His teammates are mere faceless actors in a play in which he is the only star. His self promotion is old, stale and pathetic.

192. itsspideyman says: Jan 29, 2016 10:32 AM

I don’t fault Cam if he wants to celebrate, and congrats for the souvenirs he gives out. But if you listen to Atlanta the mugging the Panthers were doing before the end of their first game, a blowout, is the reason the Falcons beat them in Atlanta.

Dissing professionals you do at your own risk.

193. cjas9298 says: Jan 29, 2016 12:17 PM

Fourth-year QB (and probable league MVP) is disliked because he celebrates (45 TDs)? Well then, you really must have had an immense aversion to Brett Favre. Oh, wait…

Yeah, in a culture like this, I’d have a “fake smile” too.

194. savoirfaire2016 says: Jan 29, 2016 12:26 PM

Having the best ever stats for a QB through 5 years…Cam can do whatever the hell he wants to do. If y’all other kinda folk don’t like it, don’t watch. Emotionless athletes are rare and as a Raiders fan, it’s so awesome to see players have a passion for the game that their fans do. Shout out to Panthers fans. That team and their fans are like a family, similar to the Raiders nation. I wish and hope we have a QB that plays at a level so high, like no one has ever played, that he roars on a TD, a big play first down, and a win.

#FabOnEmCam

The more y’all ‘hate’ the more we love.

195. nite2al says: Jan 29, 2016 2:56 PM

I’m not crazy about celebrations myself, but there is something to said about being your own person.

So, Cam celebrates and plenty other guys do as well.

But is that really a reason to HATE the guy?
    No matter what good he does in society to help people…

Wow, that really says something about people in America. To actually HATE a guy because he celebrates on a football field.

196. BigAlHeBDMan says: Jan 29, 2016 3:04 PM

Manning acts as if he’s been there before because he has, many, many, many times.

197. darkcyde252 says: Jan 29, 2016 10:05 PM

Im sure the tears of haters are as sweet as lemonade while at the same time as salty as Mortons….lol

198. satchseven says: Jan 30, 2016 7:29 AM

oh please it is just a game like folks have said stop them and he will not dance.

a lot of you fools talk crap about Russell Wilson too

199. fanofpft says: Jan 30, 2016 6:30 PM

Rodgers has the x2 check. Payton should do a pizza toss.

200. ckruszka says: Jan 31, 2016 7:42 PM

Scam,Oh, Scam!

201. realqc says: Jan 31, 2016 9:22 PM

kchoya says:
    Jan 28, 2016 2:23 PM

Except he celebrates even on routine plays, like gaining a first down.
    ——————-
    You would celebrate too if your QB was 6’5 250 and could run over or drag 10 defenders across the first down marker. KEEP CELEBRATING AND ENTERTAINING ME, after all, it is a game.

202. 1historian says: Feb 1, 2016 6:37 AM

The biggest baddest best player ever was Jim Brown. Whenever he scored a TD, which happened frequently, he would simply hand the ball to the ref and trot off the field.

In my day anyone who celebrated like that would have some sense kicked into him – by his teammates.

203. kmossg says: Feb 3, 2016 12:05 AM

I’m not saying people hate on Cam because he is black, but comparing him to Manziel to validate that isn’t the case is a reach at best. Manziel hasn’t done a thing in the league and he has had countless off the field issues. Cam, on the other hand, has been very productive, and is now in the Super Bowl, to go along with a spotless record off the field since he joined the league. I’d venture a guess that most people dislike Manziel at this point because he is throwing away an amazing opportunity, not his celebrations, I mean, the dude has barely played in the NFL at this point.

204. blu4l1fe says: Feb 3, 2016 9:50 AM

lionsfan123 says:
    Jan 28, 2016 1:41 PM

I dislike how this has become acceptable:

“If you don’t want him to celebrate, keep him out of the end zone.”

——————————————————-

I agree with, almost, everything you said. Everything but the having “class” part. One cannot just attain class nor be taught class, specifically at an age where conceived notions are already formed. Class is taught and learned at a young age. Now, I don’t know Newton’s family, nor do I know Wilson’s family or upbringing. But, you can tell that there is a huge difference between the two, specifically when it comes to humility.

Newton’s going to do whatever he wants to do. He’s getting paid, at a high rate, to play a game he loves. He has fans and people that adore him. He’s famous. Most importantly, none, it certainly seems, of any of those close to him has put it into his head that what he does, as far as his celebrations, may just be a bit too much.

205. vikingforlife says: Feb 3, 2016 10:50 AM

I have been watching Cam over the past 5 years play and in post game interviews, but never as much as this year for obvious reasons. What I have noticed during this past week is a VERY SIMPLE thing, everything he does is brought on by the adrenaline of the game he plays. His dancing and exuberant behavior ends when he leaves the field. Have any of you watched him in the interviews this week? He is as calm and thoughtful as anyone could possibly be. I KNOW how simplistic that sounds, but seriously, think about it, it’s a game. He has fun out there. When the fun is done, it’s business and class.