Johnny Manziel has Brown support — or at least Jim Brown’s

Orlando Magic v Cleveland Cavaliers, Game 1 Getty Images

We’ve now found something more rare than Browns wins — public backing for Johnny Manziel in Cleveland.

And it’s no less than the franchise’s most decorated player who’s supporting Manziel and urging patience and support for the troubled first-round pick.

“To be honest, I don’t want to see him traded or anything like that,” Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown said, via Tom Reed of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I just never feel that’s the answer to anything. But that’s my opinion and I don’t expect you to feel that way. I like Johnny.”

It’s unclear if Browns owner Jimmy Haslam or coach Hue Jackson share that view, though Haslam said he thought the relationship could be “fixed.” Jackson hasn’t talked to Manziel since taking over two weeks ago.

Brown has worked with gang members in the past, so he’s no stranger to behavior issues, and he said he thought it was possible to reach Manziel.

“Your leadership has to be able to deal with players and I don’t think that Johnny is a bad guy,” Brown said. “But I think he needs someone to deal with him, give him an opportunity to be the nice Johnny, the intelligent Johnny. From all I hear, he should know what is right and wrong, etc. But we never know what is in the background of any of these youngsters.

“Since I deal with them and I deal with the ones that are hardcore, I know that if you deal with them properly they’ll respect you and you can get them to do what’s needed to be done.”

Of course, Manziel hasn’t shown respect back toward the Browns, and Brown admitted that made it a difficult situation.

“I like Johnny and I know a lot of kids that if you don’t know how to deal with them, you lose them,” Brown said. “They don’t come ready made, but on the other hand the argument is he’s a man. He should know how to conduct himself. He has an opportunity and we’ve got all of that, but I like him and I hope they are able to relate and if they are able to relate then he will respect the coach.”

Jackson may have his own ideas, but having the backing of a legend such as Brown won’t do anything to hurt Manziel’s chances at a second chance.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Johnny Manziel has Brown support — or at least Jim Brown’s”
  1. key2heat says: Jan 29, 2016 2:01 PM

Its time the NFL forced the sale of the Browns like they are soon to do to the Titans. Im not a Browns hater but they, along with the Titans have been ripping off fans for decades.

2. mackcarrington says: Jan 29, 2016 2:06 PM

Jim Brown called Johnny Manziel a MAN.
    I hope that sucks all the air out of everyone who keeps saying “He’s just a kid”.

3. slvrnblk72 says: Jan 29, 2016 2:06 PM

Jim Brown obviously had many undiagnosed concussions

4. mmack66 says: Jan 29, 2016 2:09 PM

It’s pretty obvious that Mike Pettine was the wrong person to try and deal with anyone.

If you are a waffler, you can’t be an effective head coach.

5. vancouversportsbro says: Jan 29, 2016 2:11 PM

Woahhh woahh Johnny be good!

-Chuck Berry

6. brownsmyteam says: Jan 29, 2016 2:19 PM

More smoke and mirrors to try and create trade stock!

7. lance227 says: Jan 29, 2016 2:19 PM

If the greatest NFL player of all time…pre Super Bowl era, post Super Bowl era or anywhere in between says Johnny maybe be good…well that’s good enough for me! Johnny needs to look at the play where Mr. Brown carried six Cowboys into the end zone with him.

8. vancouversportsbro says: Jan 29, 2016 2:26 PM

Didn’t GM Lebron cut ties with Manziel?

9. Kelly's Chronicles says: Jan 29, 2016 2:28 PM

Manziel is not a man. He is a man child. There is a big difference.

10. keylimelight says: Jan 29, 2016 2:32 PM

Manziel’s disrespectful actions towards the Browns during his time there, to me, signals that he does not want to be there.

On the one hand trade him as fast as you can, on the other hand, keep him as a backup (and as a penalty for his naked contempt for Cleveland.)

11. typicalnipple says: Jan 29, 2016 2:33 PM

Big John Football. Oh yea!!!

12. george1859 says: Jan 29, 2016 2:36 PM

Jim Brown..
    What a dope.

13. fwippel says: Jan 29, 2016 2:39 PM

To think the Browns traded up for Manziel, and passed on both Bridgewater and Carr…..ouch!

There’s no reason to cut Manziel outright. If some team wants him in a trade, then pull the trigger. Otherwise, there’s nothing for the Browns to lose by keeping him around and seeing if he can get his act together. If he continues to screw up, he sits and the rest of the team ignores him. If he gets it together, maybe he beats out Connor Shaw, and starts showing the talent he flashed in college.

Draft a QB if they like one coming out of school. But cutting him outright doesn’t make any sense at this point.

14. vancouversportsbro says: Jan 29, 2016 2:46 PM

———————————-

Put Bridgewater in Cleveland and you’d be getting very similar results. His stats and play are nothing worth getting crazy over.

15. klroot says: Jan 29, 2016 2:47 PM

Think what you may, regarding Jim Brown, but remember he was the only person who watched running back Trent Richardson practice in pre season and declared ” he is nothing special.”

16. nycdf says: Jan 29, 2016 2:50 PM

Cleveland = A dumpster fire.
    Manziel = A bum.
    Haslem = A felon.
    Browns = Need to move to London.

17. raiderinva says: Jan 29, 2016 2:51 PM

So didn’t Jim Brown also throw his support behind Maurice Clarett as well?

Just saying….

18. staffordsyear says: Jan 29, 2016 2:55 PM

Jim Browns old and senile.

19. heymister24 says: Jan 29, 2016 2:56 PM

Jim Brown was right on trent richardson and is right on johnny.

20. collectordude says: Jan 29, 2016 2:57 PM

Jim Brown is on the short list of greatest NFL player of all-time.
    However, he is wwwaayyy wrong about this.

21. lambeaudungbarn says: Jan 29, 2016 3:21 PM

It’s been 2 years already! How long are you going to
    kick a dead Horse? He is the 2014 BUST!
    Go party with Vince Young.

22. floriosnuts says: Jan 29, 2016 3:23 PM

Why go though all the effort just to get Johnny Fraud ball to show up. Cut him and move on.

23. liongator says: Jan 29, 2016 3:42 PM

Listen to Jim, he’s the man. Put Joe Thomas in charge of lil johnny, with permission to do whatever he wants to straighten him out and a cash bonus if it works.
    Lock him in his locker? Sure, Joe.
    Let blitzers by so they can kill him in practice? Sure, Joe.
    Beat him with your helmet like the Skipper used to beat Gilligan?
    Sure, Joe.

24. foodiefoodnerd says: Jan 29, 2016 3:56 PM

Manziel is worth no less than two first-round picks and a second for the unlucky team whose foolish owner is stupid enough to want him.

Conditional picks in rounds 3-7 for each time he shows up plastered or bails on his team yet again.

25. therealtrenches says: Jan 29, 2016 4:13 PM

Jim Brown is no different than the rest of us: he’s watching ESPN and the NFL network and drawing conclusions. Unfortunately, they’re wrong.

26. jrob23 says: Jan 29, 2016 4:17 PM

the fact that Hue hasn’t spoken to Johnny yet tells you all you need to know about why he was a bad hire. You simply cannot judge a book by its cover. He has spent zero time with him and watched zero tape and had already made up his mind before taking the job. There are thousands of examples of players turning things around or living up to expectations with a change of scenery or coaching. As a Steelers fan I applaud the Hue hire. It’s one less team in the AFC they need to worry about.

27. loumann says: Jan 29, 2016 4:19 PM

Greatest Jim Brown story.
    I’m at a game in Toronto at SkyDome and the Browns are playing. After the game I see Jimmy walking with his wife outside the stadium. I start right at him and say “Jimmy Brown”!. He smiles and extends his hand to shake mine assuming im a happy Browns fan. My heart sinks cause I know what I’m about to do. So out of respect for the great player, I decline and tell him that in another couple of seconds he wont want to touch me. So I then unbutton my shirt and expose the T shirt I was wearing during the game that says in big letters ” F…Cleveland”.
    I was right, his smile left his face and he walked away quickly, leaving me with the ability to say I dissed the great Jimmy Brown……and loving it!

28. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 29, 2016 5:19 PM

raiderinva says:
    Jan 29, 2016 2:51 PM
    So didn’t Jim Brown also throw his support behind Maurice Clarett as well?

Just saying….
    ———-

And your point here, is…?

29. kidzaround says: Jan 29, 2016 5:22 PM

loumann says:
    Jan 29, 2016 4:19 PM
    Greatest Jim Brown story.

*******

In a Fred Sandford voice: That’s the dumbest story I ever heard.

30. araidersfan says: Jan 29, 2016 5:29 PM

I think that the Browns are absolutely right to get rid of Manziel. The ironic thing is that there will still be a truck-load of dysfunction with that team because Hue Jackson is as much (if not more) of a head-case.

31. tonebones says: Jan 29, 2016 5:35 PM

Jim Brown is one of the most well respected men on the planet. He’s talking about stuff here that most of us don’t have a clue about. So take a moment and listen to what he’s saying. Open up your mind. It doesn’t hurt.

32. tonebones says: Jan 29, 2016 5:40 PM

loumann says:
    Jan 29, 2016 4:19 PM
    Greatest Jim Brown story.
    ————————————————
    I’ll bet Jim Brown prayed for you that night. He’ll even come and visit you in prison some day.

33. mmack66 says: Jan 29, 2016 7:12 PM

loumann says:
    Jan 29, 2016 4:19 PM

Greatest Jim Brown story.

———————————-

It would have been the greatest Jim Brown story had he decked you for not respecting him or his wife.

Of course we never would have heard that one.

34. oldcracker says: Jan 29, 2016 7:12 PM

I’d like to see what Johnny can finally do, under the tutelage of a professional coaching staff.

First, he left school 2 yrs early, and then got stuck under Mother Pettine and his high school buddies. Look back at Pettine’s record, he wasn’t good even with a loaded Bills Defense.

Over the 2 year stint with Pettine, the entire team regressed, former pro-bowlers turned to mush, and every draft pick was a bust. Coincidence???

I still believe Joe Banner knew he was on the hot seat after his handling of Chud. I believe he intentionally left Pettine as a time bomb for the Browns. Rex Ryan even wouldn’t find a position for Pettine.

Not that I’m a fan of Ray Farmer, but Farmer never got to hire his coach, a coach that he could work with.

35. mrfrostyj says: Jan 29, 2016 7:42 PM

For those who keep bringing up the Trent Richardson thing you seem to forget that Jim Brown apologized and said he was wrong about Trent Richardson around the time Richardson broke Jim Browns rookie rushing record.

Also for those that think Manziels behavior is him not wanting to be in Cleveland you must not have followed him in college. This is TONED DOWN Manziel and the fact that he’s disguising himself and lying about his partying shows he’s trying to not get caught. If he didn’t want to be in Cleveland he wouldn’t have texted them to draft him in the first place and definitely wouldn’t have publicly asked Haslam to not fire Pettine not to mention the whole “trying not to get caught” thing (since he obviously wouldn’t care if he got caught). He’s just an immature kid, there is no secret motivation behind him just being what he’s always been. Basically he’s what PacMan Jones was when he first entered the league when Jerry Jones had to get him a babysitter to keep him out the “skrip” clubs where he was getting in fights every week.

36. tralfaz1127 says: Jan 30, 2016 4:55 AM

He texted the Browns to draft him because his ego under the bright lights when he thought he was going first or top 5 got to him. He was scared he was going to drop all the way out of the first round (which he should have) and made one last desperate plea.
    If he wanted to be in Cleveland he wouldn’t bolt out of town every time he gets a break.
    And Hue doesn’t need to see him and watch tape. He coached against him twice. He saw what everyone else saw, a really good team makes him look like he doesn’t belong on the field. Even as a back up. Guys like him ruin locker rooms, if he already hasn’t he will if kept around. Hallam is trying to bait and switch and trade for him that he won’t get. Time to admit your mistake and say goodbye.