Team Irvin wins tackling-free Pro Bowl, 49-27

Russell Wilson AP

The Pro Bowl was everything it was advertised to be. Or something like that.

It was not competitive. By the third quarter it wasn’t close, either. Team Irvin pulled away from Team Rice and won the game, 49-27.

No one will remember. There were really good players who made some really good plays, but Team Irvin was clearly superior and both teams were trying to avoid injury. Smartly. Most plays didn’t even end in a real tackle.

Team Irvin’s Russell Wilson threw for 164 yards and three touchdowns, all in the first half. Team Rice scored first, then Team Irvin took over from there. Six different Team Irvin players had receiving touchdowns; Allen Robinson led everyone with 105 receiving yards. Travis Kelce of Team Rice had 91 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

If you didn’t see it, you didn’t miss much. Richard Sherman and Charles Woodson lined up on offense. Cedric Peerman, a Pro Bowl special teams player, was catching passes. Odell Beckham and Devonta Freeman lined up on defense. Team Rice converted two fake punts.

Two fake punts. And lost by a bunch.

Winston Moss of the Packers was the winning coach. Moss coached because Mike McCarthy was ill and unable to make the trip. We’ll all miss Woodson, but it’s hard to say the Pro Bowl was his last football game because it wasn’t much of a football game.

Permalink 96 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
96 Responses to “Team Irvin wins tackling-free Pro Bowl, 49-27”
  1. sunnyd89 says: Jan 31, 2016 10:25 PM

Your love for the Pro Bowl really oozes through your writing.

2. beavertonsteve says: Jan 31, 2016 10:26 PM

I watched the first 10 minutes then checked back after the game to make sure none of the players on my favorite team got hurt.

3. bengalsofthenorth says: Jan 31, 2016 10:26 PM

I didn’t even know the pro bowl was on today.

4. petytonwisheshewasbrady says: Jan 31, 2016 10:27 PM

Becomes a bigger joke every year and no one’s laughing.

5. pemory says: Jan 31, 2016 10:28 PM

Tackling free? Should Deion Sanders be the coach then???🙂

6. moerawn says: Jan 31, 2016 10:30 PM

Watched it. Unclear why.

7. tjacks7 says: Jan 31, 2016 10:30 PM

1. Complain about pro bowl
    2. State pro bowl will be around as long as we watch it
    3. Watch pro bowl
    4. Complain about pro bowl

8. qbarrel says: Jan 31, 2016 10:32 PM

That horrible Madden Football show with MJD on NFLN is more entertaining than the Pro Bowl. I’d rather watch them play flag football in Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops.

9. levanderwilliams says: Jan 31, 2016 10:33 PM

What a joke!

10. yyc2phx says: Jan 31, 2016 10:34 PM

Tackling free…. Guys on O playing D and vice versus? 100.00 a ticket …no way

11. mediasloppy says: Jan 31, 2016 10:34 PM

Don’t like it. Don’t watch it…

12. jagsfanugh says: Jan 31, 2016 10:35 PM

Didn’t even realize it was on. Oh well no biggie.

13. number1hawkfan says: Jan 31, 2016 10:35 PM

Now I know why Patrick Peterson is always a pro bowler. No tackling. It can’t be from his play during the season. Most overrated player in football. Watched the first half to see how RW would play. Then came the reason the pro bowl is a joke, teddy bridgewater. Wow, how is he a pro bowler. His first pass was so under thrown it looked like every deep ball you see him throw. He put everything into that pass and it went about 40 yards. Look up his numbers and tell me the pro bowl isn’t a joke. Wow

14. rudy7088 says: Jan 31, 2016 10:37 PM

Biggest joke in the NFL. They’ll never win another SB with Jerrah as the GM and a puppet head coach! Don’t even get me started on Romo and them signing Manziel and then RGIII.

Oh crud…am I on the right thread?!?!

15. mongo3401 says: Jan 31, 2016 10:38 PM

Loved it. Was a great day at Aloha stadium. NFL will not stop the pro bowl. Place was packed

16. darkneptune73 says: Jan 31, 2016 10:38 PM

Thankfully that joke of a ending didn’t screw me over for Madden MUT.

17. bigdaddystyle says: Jan 31, 2016 10:39 PM

It’s like watching Battle of the Network Stars…looks like they’re having a good time, but it doesn’t matter at all.

The best players deserve a Hawaii vacation considering the time they put in and the money they generate.

18. rcali says: Jan 31, 2016 10:39 PM

I bought the total up to 77 so very happy with the result. Watched it sparingly but mostly at the end to root on the Under.

19. RoofDude says: Jan 31, 2016 10:40 PM

I was too busy watching Bruce Willis save the world in Armageddon…..

20. tjacks7 says: Jan 31, 2016 10:41 PM

I can tell number1hawkfan is one of those 2013-2015 week 2, 2015 week 12 to present Seahawks fans.

Obviously does not watch many Cardinals or Vikings games.

21. petedutcherjr says: Jan 31, 2016 10:43 PM

Buccaneers players scored 3 touchdowns, yet no mention of them?

22. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Jan 31, 2016 10:45 PM

Russell Wilson proving he is the best QB in the NFL once again.

23. whodatinurface says: Jan 31, 2016 10:49 PM

It is what it is.

24. dartmouthstevens says: Jan 31, 2016 10:50 PM

7 on 7 drills would be better competition.

25. dabears2485 says: Jan 31, 2016 10:50 PM

Do people still watch? I haven’t watched a Pro Bowl for seven years now. I just read the post-gane summary. It takes less time, and I don’t have to watch rich people play catch in a place I can’t afford to go to.

26. dontbugmeonsundays says: Jan 31, 2016 10:52 PM

They need to bring back the quarterback challenge

27. gp1390r says: Jan 31, 2016 10:52 PM

Find the hit Sean Taylor put on Brian Moorman about 10 years ago in the Pro Bowl…back when they used to at least care a little bit about playing hard. RIP Sean, at least you came to play. Today was another joke, for the 10 minutes I watched

28. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Jan 31, 2016 10:53 PM

Here’s an easy test to see if you care just a little too much about football and should try and diversify your life’s interests a little bit:

Do you get angry and write indignant posts about what a joke the Pro Bowl is?

If you answered no, good for you.

If you answered yes, try and take a little time this offseason to find other things that make you happy. Try reading a novel. Take an art class. Do yoga. Travel. Something.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

29. xbox4wwe says: Jan 31, 2016 10:54 PM

Who would have thought that the guy who got snubbed in the voting would have the most yards receiving. Allen Robinson is special. The Jags have a star.

30. tbf22 says: Jan 31, 2016 10:57 PM

The first half was pretty entertaining. The players were tackling and putting up a nice effort. It was after the game was out of reach (the last 10 minutes) that the play diminished. I thought the competitiveness was there. It was certainly watchable. And the second last football game of the year. Got to soak in as much football as possible, before it’s gone till the end of summer.

31. packsupersoldier says: Jan 31, 2016 10:59 PM

Winston Moss for Coach of the Year!

No one’s with me on this?

32. beerbratscheese says: Jan 31, 2016 10:59 PM

When I watch the pro bowl I can’t help but feel like a mom. I just root for the players of my favorite team not to get hurt.

33. badskidmarks says: Jan 31, 2016 11:02 PM

I turned it on for a second just to take a look. Heard Jon Gruden talking and quickly changed the channel…He’s unbearable.

34. gadgetdawg says: Jan 31, 2016 11:06 PM

From the sounds of it, You got your skills competition because that doesn’t sound like a football game to me.

35. aljack88 says: Jan 31, 2016 11:08 PM

mediasloppy says:
    Jan 31, 2016 10:34 PM
    Don’t like it. Don’t watch it…
    ==============================

Didn’t

36. realdealsteel says: Jan 31, 2016 11:12 PM

I’ve never watched 20 minutes of a pro bowl and never will. Utter waste of time.

37. purpleandgoldforever says: Jan 31, 2016 11:17 PM

tjacks7 says:
    Jan 31, 2016 10:30 PM

1. Complain about pro bowl
    2. State pro bowl will be around as long as we watch it
    3. Watch pro bowl
    4. Complain about pro bowl

You missed 5 and 6
    5. Rinse
    6. Repeat

38. canedaddy says: Jan 31, 2016 11:18 PM

It is painful to watch if you’re expecting real football, but if you lower your sights and just take it for what it is, great players having fun and trying not to get hurt, it’s more bearable.

Glad to see Winston Moss got the win… love to see him get a head coaching job at some point.

39. raidernation37 says: Jan 31, 2016 11:18 PM

Watched the NHL instead and it was great

40. ariani1985 says: Jan 31, 2016 11:25 PM

If Russell Wilson looks good then you know nobody is trying!

41. vavikingfan says: Jan 31, 2016 11:28 PM

I liked it…it was nice to see great players having fun, fake punts guys playing different positions. In had no problem with them playing touch.

42. f1restarter says: Jan 31, 2016 11:28 PM

I watched a bunch of South Park reruns instead. No regrets.

43. tbraiders says: Jan 31, 2016 11:30 PM

I watched it for the first time in years and it reminded me I quit watching it.

44. bruceroy1 says: Jan 31, 2016 11:33 PM

Joke of a game, need to go back to the way it was with the NFC vs. AFC.

45. thetruthstings says: Jan 31, 2016 11:59 PM

They need to go back to NFC VS. AFC! This name change is a joke and HURTS the Game! The game does not need to be hurt more than it already is!

A few of us remember when there used to be a “Third Place Game”. I think that it is time to reinstitute that!!! Would it be so bad for us to see New England Vs. Arizona in that game??? It would be Better than the Pro Bowl and More Football for us!

The Pro bowl also should be Moved back to after the Super Bowl! It is not fair to any Super Bowl Participant that may actually WANT to play in the game. I know that a few would like to go especially a possible first and last time player. Some players who had great years may never get a Second Chance to go again!

46. BIG RED says: Feb 1, 2016 12:41 AM

Never seen it.

47. jonathankrobinson424 says: Feb 1, 2016 12:52 AM

…..you know something happened this year that was intresting……it was a good game..st least the 1st hslf. I think so many peole declined, the yoing players who participated played a good game. Lots of great passes and catches by wilson and his wr’s. Great td catch by Carr to Hilton …unfortunately the refs said it wasnt a catch….AGAIN!. I thought the young guys showed effort….maybe the veterens shouldnt be playing.

48. daytontriangles says: Feb 1, 2016 1:12 AM

Was that today?

49. raiderfan says: Feb 1, 2016 1:23 AM

Who really cares? It’s a lighthearted game done for “fun” and we all know and expect that already? Quit bashing it as if you were expecting it to be competitive. Your thirst for stirring “controversy” is laughable.

50. fifel1144 says: Feb 1, 2016 1:24 AM

Want to get the players to play? Offer up incentives. I know people will say, ” they already get paid too much.”

Give them a contract for the Pro Bowl that would pay them the same as their contract if they get an injury that affectes their availability for off season workouts, preseason, regular season , or career. Of course each is different.

Then if one of them is injured, give the franchise they belong, incentives if they get injured and it affects their future status for the team. I.e extra draft picks or salary cap waivers.

It’s really not rocket science, I’m sure it would be self funded if the pro bowl product was good. Not like they need more funding.

51. iamthorny says: Feb 1, 2016 1:45 AM

I don’t understand the subject line? I love preseason football but wouldn’t spend a second watching the probowl so excuse my confusion but…

It was tackling free and the losing team only put up 27 points? Was Carson Palmer the QB?

Winston Moss has a better lifetime winning % than Mike McCarthy. Time to jettison MM for Winston. Can’t spell Winston without W I N.

52. ilovefoolsball says: Feb 1, 2016 2:19 AM

I went to a Tool Concert instead of watching the Pro Bowl.

53. bigwalt2990 says: Feb 1, 2016 3:45 AM

I watched it, mostly. The tackling or lack there-of isn’t the worst part. IMO the worst part is watching DE’s full of talent like Ansah half-arse the entire thing………the players need more incentive to compete. Give all of the players on the winning team a 2m bonus..something they can play for. Something to get their “juices” going.

54. bigwalt2990 says: Feb 1, 2016 3:47 AM

P.S. when you don’t allow blitzing, you’re sending a message that you don’t want real contact.

55. windowlickerz says: Feb 1, 2016 4:23 AM

Team Stickum was clearly inferior. Rice is a terrible GM

56. rockothewallaby says: Feb 1, 2016 5:17 AM

Wait, there was a game on yesterday?

57. vicvinegar00 says: Feb 1, 2016 5:33 AM

They should just turn the game into a complete gimmick. Stop pretending anyone is playing hard.

Put everyone on the other side of the ball and play flag or something. Make Richard Sherman play QB against Russell Wilson playing MLB. Give a few handoffs to JJ Watt (did he even show up?). It might at least be entertaining.

58. blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 1, 2016 5:46 AM

The NHL All star game was great! John Scott made the show! Pro Bowl? Why bother

59. richardparker123 says: Feb 1, 2016 6:19 AM

Not quite sure how long it will take the NFL to realize that players, coaches, fans, and hell, even the media, will not emotionally invest in meaningless exhibition game before the BIGGEST game of the season. Not that having it after the SB makes a diff actually. No player will jeopardize his career with a full-assed effort and who can blame them? Instead, we get half-assed bunny hill play year after year.

The NFL needs to end this farce and make the Pro Bowl team roster a ceremonial honor like the All-Pro team roster.

60. weege001 says: Feb 1, 2016 6:25 AM

I dont have cable, so Netflix it was.. Watched an insane movie called Everly..

61. paulieorkid says: Feb 1, 2016 7:17 AM

“Tackling-free” is code for “Business Decision Football.”

62. ahs2 says: Feb 1, 2016 7:18 AM

I was too busy watching professional All Stars actually compete in the new 3 on 3 format with a $1M first place prize NHL All-Star game…now that was exciting!!

63. bencoates57 says: Feb 1, 2016 7:35 AM

Bud Dry should have punted.

64. bencoates57 says: Feb 1, 2016 7:37 AM

I saw the score when I clicked on Scores but didn’t know it was the Pro Bowl. I just figured it was some college basketball game after ruling out the English soccer league

65. stinkymcmulligan says: Feb 1, 2016 7:44 AM

Watching paint dry is more exciting than the Toilet Bowl…er, the Pro Bowl.

66. thekingcoleman says: Feb 1, 2016 7:58 AM

People get on here and complain about probowl snubs. Then when the game is actually played complain about how boring and uneventful it is.

67. lastnameiswilson says: Feb 1, 2016 8:00 AM

Props to Russell, he always competes! Even in the Pro Bowl. Proud he is our QB and will be for years to come.

68. billsfan1 says: Feb 1, 2016 8:01 AM

The only thing to make this cool woukd have been for Jon Scott to be airlifted to the game to play the second half

69. routerunner says: Feb 1, 2016 8:10 AM

I can honestly say that I didn’t watch a single second of the game or any pregame or postgame coverage. I’m pretty proud of myself.

70. coachwolf49 says: Feb 1, 2016 8:11 AM

I’ll take rugby for pure viewing enjoyment anyday…and they do it without helmets, which is the way the NFL will eventually have to go in light of the concussion scare which will only get worse.

71. cowboysallday says: Feb 1, 2016 8:13 AM

So let me get this straight…we’re losing
    Peyton Manning, Charles Woodson, Megatron, and Kobe Bryant all in the same year…😦

72. justintuckrule says: Feb 1, 2016 8:17 AM

Not for nothing, the real games are barely better than this anymore.

73. corny715 says: Feb 1, 2016 8:17 AM

What do you want? I enjoyed the game. It’s talented guys playing. Unlike any other all star game. Talented people playing not to get hurt. Nothing wrong with that. Goof game !

74. philtration says: Feb 1, 2016 8:35 AM

I had no idea that this was no longer NFC vs. AFC.
    What is with this Team Coke Head and Team Stickum nonsense and how long have they been doing this?

I can’t even remember the last time I watched any of the Pro Bowl.
    It had to be in the 1980s.

75. ncphinsfan says: Feb 1, 2016 8:39 AM

I like Russell Wilson, but gimme a break on this nonsense. If A DLineman Bennett can play QB and run a 70 yd TD (called back); then this is silly. Wilson was playing all out while the 21 people on the field were “roaming” around with smiles. I literally could have been on the field and did well under those conditions and I am 20 years and 20 pounds pasr prime.

76. wolverineinnc says: Feb 1, 2016 8:40 AM

Just another example of how King Roger and his Jet’s Management Team at NFL HQ are destroying “the integrity of the game.” Whoever thought it would be a good idea to change from the NFC vs AFC and pit players from the same team playing against each other should be fired. We watched the first ten minutes or so, then switched to other programming. Borrrrringggggg…. Just a silly effort at a “football” game. I don’t blame the 40+ players who took a pass on attending….

77. cafetero1075 says: Feb 1, 2016 8:47 AM

I didn’t watch it, what bothers me is 10th alternate QB’s were in it. Also I am a Phins fan and Brent Grimes had no business in the PB. He sucked it up all year. What a joke.

78. skins99 says: Feb 1, 2016 9:05 AM

I’ve never seen the no-tackle thing like they were doing last night. If they are going to play like that they shouldn’t even bother

79. conormacleod says: Feb 1, 2016 9:11 AM

Screw you guys. It was fun. Maybe you expect too much? The “non tackling” was only at the end. It was just a fun game by the worlds best football players. Sorry you didn’t get to see any concussions or broken bones.

80. captainwhodat says: Feb 1, 2016 9:13 AM

…took my wife to the movies…had a good time…

81. linji45thgen says: Feb 1, 2016 9:15 AM

Dont care, didn’t watch.

82. selldannysell says: Feb 1, 2016 9:34 AM

That’s why I watched the NHL All-Star Game. That actually had excitement.

83. RegisHawk says: Feb 1, 2016 9:40 AM

South Park Spoof Marathon was good. Checked the game during the commercial breaks.

84. stellarperformance says: Feb 1, 2016 9:47 AM

I wasn’t aware it was on. It wouldn’t have mattered.

85. JC De La Torre says: Feb 1, 2016 9:51 AM

Funny, if no one watches the pro bowl – who are these 14 million or so people that do?

86. icebowler says: Feb 1, 2016 10:22 AM

The Wisconsin – Illinois b-ball game saved me from watching.

87. Marsh1976 says: Feb 1, 2016 10:40 AM

I sat down with my 9 year old grandson and watched the game. He loved every minute of it so I guess it was a great game wasn’t it? Some people are so depressed and angry about everything. It was an exhibition game played for fun and it looked to me like the players were having a lot of fun playing it. No one was forcing anyone to watch it so what on earth do you have to complain about?

88. wtfru2 says: Feb 1, 2016 10:43 AM

My mom used to say, if you don’t have something good to say, don’t say anything at all!

The stadium had more people there than I’ve ever seen. It’s a nice relief for the players who have had a hard season.

They get at the minimum, 30k. If you stay out of the Korean bars you’ll have something to take home.

Lastly, it was fun. Anything wrong with that?

89. Probowler Teddy Bridgewater says: Feb 1, 2016 10:53 AM

Teddy looked awesome! He lead all quarterbacks in completion percentage, yards per attempt, and touchdown percentage. He probably would have done more if Richard Sherman wouldn’t have saddled him with 2nd and 32. But hey, John Kuhn looked good!

90. concmike says: Feb 1, 2016 11:22 AM

Come on when the guy who is supposed to coach one of the teams in the game gets a letter from his doctor so he doesn’t have to go…..it’s not even a game anymore…..

YAWN…..

Never going to another NFL game or buying any NFL stuff…..another lost fan….

91. frank booth says: Feb 1, 2016 11:57 AM

Probowler Teddy Bridgewater says:
    Feb 1, 2016 10:53 AM

==================================
    Teddy played well in an exhibition game without a rush.

Allen Robinson had to slow down to grab the pass because Bridgewater couldn’t throw it far enough.

If you’re relying on a single Pro Bowl exhibition rather than 16 regular season games to provide evidence of Bridgewater’s ability, or any other player’s, you’re barking up the wrong tree.

92. In Teddy We Trust says: Feb 1, 2016 12:23 PM

Frank, it’s a bit. Lighten up.

93. roadtrip3500 says: Feb 1, 2016 12:23 PM

You left out the best one… at the end of the game in the victory formation, the QB and center switched places… Jameis Winston snapped the ball to Cowboys center Travis Frederick who took the knee.

94. In Teddy We Trust says: Feb 1, 2016 12:25 PM

True story: My wife was out last night and sent me a text that said “DVR the Pro Bowl.” You know that’s the first time that sentence had ever been typed.

She didn’t want to watch the game. She just likes the shots of Hawaii coming out of commercials.

95. lindacaseauthor says: Feb 1, 2016 12:39 PM

Teddy played well in an exhibition game without a rush.

————–
    I’m tired of you putting down Teddy, Cheesehead. Someone needs to bring you down to reality. In 2008 Rodgers 1st yr as a starter (4th yr in the NFL) his record was 6-10. Teddy’s first yr record was 7-9. In 2009, Rodgers 2nd yr as a starter (5th yr in the NFL) his record was 11-5 and the Pack lost the WC playoff game to the Cards. Teddy’s second yr he went 11-5 and lost in the WC round to the Hawks. Pretty similar, except for the fact that Teddy was quite a bit younger than your dinosaur.

I think Teddy did great in the Pro Bowl, 2 TDs, 1 int, 126 yds, and I know the defenses were lame, but he made a good showing his first time out.

96. slickdemetrius says: Feb 1, 2016 12:46 PM

Unfortunately, this is how I envision the future regular season NFL. And pretty soon I will move on to basketball or cricket to meet my sporting needs, or watching the college game more (until it’s turned to flag football too).