Panthers’ Thomas Davis: Peyton Manning hasn’t lost his greatness

Peyton Manning AP

Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is not the same player he was when winning an all-time high five Most Valuable Player awards. But the Panthers say they think Manning is still great.

Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis was one of many Carolina players to discuss Manning as a player who’s still great, and not just a player who was once great.

“He’s going to go down as if not the greatest, one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play this game and you don’t just lose that overnight,” Davis said, via USA Today. “You look at some people talking about his arm strength — but the Patriots game [the AFC Championship], it looked pretty good to me.”

Those echo comments made by Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly last week. And Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Manning’s mental ability hasn’t declined at all.

“He is going to anticipate and do things off of what he sees,” Rivera said. “You have to make sure if you’re disguising, you are holding your disguise. He wants to undress the defense as quick as possible and get a feel for where they are going and he will know where to attack. I think it really is a great chess match — and not necessarily coordinator against coordinator, but quarterback against defense.”

Heading into a Super Bowl the Broncos reached thanks mostly to their defense, the Panthers are promising that they won’t underestimate the quarterback.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Panthers’ Thomas Davis: Peyton Manning hasn’t lost his greatness”
  1. fin72 says: Feb 1, 2016 7:16 AM

The Panthers can stick to whatever talking point they want, but the fact is Peyton is completely washed up and had very little to do with their recent success. Carolina’s D is going to be a hell of a lot tougher than the slow, unathletic defense of New England.

2. kingpel says: Feb 1, 2016 7:18 AM

I don’t mind the respect these teams are showing one another. Of course on gameday the Panthers are going to make Peyton’s life a living hell.

3. margoadams says: Feb 1, 2016 8:00 AM

Davis must be watching old film.

4. buccan33rz1976 says: Feb 1, 2016 8:18 AM

Smart….. Keep praising him and be humble. Take notes Cam.

5. breadmeatcheese says: Feb 1, 2016 8:27 AM

In fact he has a whole case of greatness under his bed.

6. typicalnipple says: Feb 1, 2016 8:29 AM

Greatness is everywhere. Greatness is Big John Football.

7. joetoronto says: Feb 1, 2016 8:42 AM

Oh yes he has. HGH has allowed him to keep playing, but he’s a shadow of his former self.

I wonder if Manning needs special helmets made because of the size of his head.

8. plum54 says: Feb 1, 2016 8:46 AM

HGH maybe the reason he’s still so great???

9. realdealsteel says: Feb 1, 2016 8:54 AM

Peyton showed me a lot this season. His grit, determination on trying to stay on the field.

But he’s going to be sent into retirement with embarrassment because he’s going to throw at least two picks against the Panthers; at least one returned for a TD.

34-6 Panthers

10. mazenblue says: Feb 1, 2016 9:18 AM

If Brady has *Deflategate

Manning is *HGH *SexualPredator

Cant change your logic now can we adults?? Everyone is an adult right? Lets treat all the same and not be “character chameleons”.

11. tajuara says: Feb 1, 2016 9:32 AM

Davis must be watching old film.
    ———————————————–

Like a week old probably…

12. Rdog says: Feb 1, 2016 9:49 AM

It’s interesting that the players have nothing but respect for Peyton Manning, but so many fans have so much hate towards him… Sports fans are irrationally crazy sometimes.

13. Patskrieg says: Feb 1, 2016 10:35 AM

H.uman
    G.rowth
    H.ormone

14. jgedgar70 says: Feb 1, 2016 10:54 AM

I think the Panthers are just respecting the “any given Sunday” aspect of the game. Who knows? Peyton could catch lightning in a bottle one more time. Not very likely, but certainly possible.

In the end, I think we will win – not by blowout, but it won’t come down to the last drive, either.

15. mmack66 says: Feb 1, 2016 11:17 AM

Rdog says:
    Feb 1, 2016 9:49 AM

—————————–

What else would the Panthers players say about him just before the Super Bowl?

I’d say most fans respect him as a quarterback, but that doesn’t mean they have to love him as a player on another team.

16. Rdog says: Feb 1, 2016 11:31 AM

mmack66 says:
    Feb 1, 2016 11:17 AM

What else would the Panthers players say about him just before the Super Bowl?

——————————————-
    Yeah, we’ve never heard pro athletes talk bad about another athlete. And the Panthers are definitely the model of class and respect. /sarcasm

I’m not saying they have to love Peyton Manning – I’m just pointing out the irrational hatred. I don’t see any reason to irrationally hate him, other than he’s been too good at playing football……

17. rootpain says: Feb 1, 2016 11:46 AM

I’m still pretty confident the Patriots will win SB50 by at least two touchdowns. I know it’s going to be difficult to verify, considering that I don’t expect the Patriots to get a lot of air time. But after having reviewed a lot of tape, I selected all of the Patriots to be on my fantasy team for next Sunday. So there’s that.
    Go Patriots.

18. vicnocal says: Feb 1, 2016 12:20 PM

That’s weird, all the fat nerds who write comments on the internet say he should’ve retired 3 years ago, nevermind that he’s made it to 2 Super Bowls in 3 years.

I think I’ll put a little more value on the opinion of All Pro players.

19. ndesharnaisnjdjp says: Feb 1, 2016 12:45 PM

I am a QB in a women’s flag league. At 43 (or when I retired at 41), I am more chess game than physical skills. There is no shame in that admission or in Davis calling it out.

20. ndesharnaisnjdjp says: Feb 1, 2016 12:48 PM

To be clear, I moved down to the league with D-II, D-III players. I was previously in the D-I league.

21. jjackwagon says: Feb 1, 2016 12:48 PM

I’ll give Peyton credit. The Chiefs “retired” him earlier this season. When he got yanked after that 4th INT he looked like he was all done.
    But he turned his attitude around, got back to work and got back on the field.
    He will not be enough to carry them to victory Sunday. If the D can force a couple of turnovers. Denver has a chance.

22. padronebradfather says: Feb 1, 2016 1:30 PM

the sad thing is some of Peyton’s most ostentatious critics are “Broncos fans.” I am a writer at Predominantly Orange, a Broncos’ Fansided blog and this has been my observation. Other NFL fans and media appreciate him more, as well as players.

23. mmack66 says: Feb 1, 2016 3:14 PM

vicnocal says:
    Feb 1, 2016 12:20 PM

I think I’ll put a little more value on the opinion of All Pro players.
    ———————–

Well, he wouldn’t have made it to one this year without Osweiler.

As it is, he was one of the worst quarterbacks in the league this season. And that’s just a fact, and not a criticism.

24. mmack66 says: Feb 1, 2016 3:41 PM

Rdog says:
    Feb 1, 2016 11:31 AM

————————

If someone hates him just for being a good player, well that someone is mentally ill.

I dislike the guy as a player, because every time the Chiefs manged to make it to the playoffs, it seemed like we always lost to Manning and the Colts. I won’t be sorry to see him retire from the Broncos.

25. cornerstone2001 says: Feb 1, 2016 4:14 PM

Most over-rated QB in history..soon will lose yet another superbowl