Peyton: I don’t dance like Cam because I don’t score TDs like Cam

SAN JOSE, CA - FEBRUARY 01:  Peyton Manning #18 of the Denver Broncos addresses the media at Super Bowl Opening Night Fueled by Gatorade at SAP Center on February 1, 2016 in San Jose, California.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

Some critics of Cam Newton’s touchdown celebrations have pointed to Peyton Manning, and said that Newton should act more like Manning. But Manning says he’d celebrate like Newton if he scored as often as Newton.

Asked at Super Bowl Opening Night why he doesn’t celebrate on the field the way Newton does, Manning answered that it’s because “I don’t run for any touchdowns.”

Manning spoke highly of Newton, saying there’s “no doubt” he was the MVP of the NFL in 2015. Manning added that if he could run like Newton does, he’d dance like Newton does.

“If I run for a touchdown on Sunday, I’ll celebrate,” Manning said.

When Manning finished with 11 rushing yards in the AFC Championship Game, it snapped a 20-game streak of Manning rushing for zero or negative rushing yards. Newton has never finished a game with zero or negative rushing yards. And Manning has 18 career rushing touchdowns in 266 career games, while Newton has 43 career rushing touchdowns in 78 career games. So perhaps Newton just celebrates in the end zone more than Manning because he reaches the end zone more than Manning.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
58 Responses to “Peyton: I don’t dance like Cam because I don’t score TDs like Cam”
  1. suhmonster90 says: Feb 2, 2016 6:50 AM

I’m also sure athletes are no role models to have. So go Manning but mainly go close game.

2. 2manyconcussions says: Feb 2, 2016 6:50 AM

There is a good point to be made about one’s ability to dance in the end zone isn’t that relevant if one doesn’t actually get into the end zone. Also, it is kind of a scary thought to think about Manning dancing–just saying.

3. mancave001 says: Feb 2, 2016 6:52 AM

CLASS.

4. 6thsense10 says: Feb 2, 2016 6:54 AM

I still can’t believe Cam dancing in the end zone has gotten this much press. The only time I’m evenly remotely bothered by it is when the team is getting blown out and he dances after scoring a garbage TD. But a. I feel that way about any player that does that in that situation and b. Cam was never in that blow out scenario this season……

This isn’t TO running to Halfind field to prance on the Dallas star. This is something that dozens of players in one for or another do after getting a sack, scoring a touchdown, or even getting a key first down. Give it a rest and enjoy watching the NFL’season 2015 season MVP one last time.

5. beauregard says: Feb 2, 2016 6:59 AM

Career Stats:
    Passing Touchdowns
    Peyton Manning -539
    Cam Newton – 117
    Looks like Manning gets in the end zone just fine passing.

6. donny1rodriguez says: Feb 2, 2016 7:11 AM

“If I run for a touchdown on Sunday, I’ll celebrate,”

that would literally be a miracle

7. bmacwillconn says: Feb 2, 2016 7:13 AM

A very classy way for Manning to to diffuse the issue about Cam’s conduct.

Newton’s extensive celebrations are ridicules and most people wish he wouldn’t make himself the focus of attention for accomplishing something 10 other people helped him achieve.

8. somepeopleneedtogetalife says: Feb 2, 2016 7:29 AM

Breaking news.

Peyton says he buys his wife a box of chocolates every Valentines Day.

But its only for her, he never takes any.

9. illnagas says: Feb 2, 2016 7:37 AM

Again: a td celebration is one thing, but Cam goes out of his way to make his celebrations a full blown Broadway production. The media keeps bringing up this story but doesn’t discuss that detail.

10. QCsteel55 says: Feb 2, 2016 7:50 AM

Cam never dances when they are losing. I’ve watched ever panthers game for 5 years and the biggest misconception is that he dances when they are down. Frankly if you’ve watched the panthers over the last 5 years, you’d know that they have some kind of record of letting leads go. Even in their 6-10 and 7-9 season, the panthers were leading in nearly every game and lost it at the end. It wasn’t until last season that they started finishing games. If I am lying, give me one example of Cam being down in points and dancing? I challenge anyone to find one instance and post it here

11. grizzly224 says: Feb 2, 2016 7:51 AM

bmacwillconn says: Feb 2, 2016 7:13 AM
    A very classy way for Manning to to diffuse the issue about Cam’s conduct.

—————————————-

Those 10 other people that helped him don’t have an issue with Cam’s dancing why should you?

12. vikingforlife says: Feb 2, 2016 7:52 AM

I love Peyton and I love Cam. I think they BOTH have handled this “situation” just fine. How awesome would it be though, if Manning had the opportunity on Sunday to rush for a TD??? Have FUN on Sunday, Guys! I can’t wait to watch both of you play!!!!

13. randomguy9999 says: Feb 2, 2016 7:55 AM

suhmonster90 says:

——————————————————

I have never ever seen Peyton throw a hissy fit at his line, at least not in many years…

all QBs can get mad at themselves and I think when he holds himself to a high standard that’s admirable

oh, and PM can score like Cam (rushing TDs) he just doesn’t do it a lot…. once a year on average, 18 rushing TDs in 18 years

PMs maturity will edge Cam’s dancing on Sunday

14. solo681 says: Feb 2, 2016 8:21 AM

Peyton, you can dance, just do the HGH swiggle.

15. killxswitch says: Feb 2, 2016 8:37 AM

Now all I care about in the SB is watching Manning pop and lock in the endzone after a QB sneak.

16. kurdishpats1 says: Feb 2, 2016 8:38 AM

People who don’t like Cam’s dancing live boring lives.

17. usitait says: Feb 2, 2016 8:42 AM

Let the man dance….it’s worth it to see the kids light up when he gives them footballs.

18. hawk944 says: Feb 2, 2016 8:44 AM

Cam is extraordinary, and an excellent manager of the field, just like Manning. He just adds that flair to his success. Old school QBs like Manning and Brady are also special just more business like. I still like the way the old school guys “act like they been there” . Go Panthers! Beat Denver Tebags! (spelled to avoid censorship).:-)

19. Teddybizzle says: Feb 2, 2016 8:50 AM

Oh people , give it a rest!!! I am a Vikings fan, so I am just looking for an entertaining Super Bowl! Here’s hoping its competitive & not 1-sided…. I predict Panthers- 27
    Bronco’s- 20
    It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see the Bronco D. Take complete control of this game & throw Cam off his game, thus pulling the W. Broncos 20. panthers 17

20. snowdood163 says: Feb 2, 2016 8:56 AM

donny1rodriguez says:
    Feb 2, 2016 7:11 AM
    “If I run for a touchdown on Sunday, I’ll celebrate,”

that would literally be a miracle

———–
    He actually did it against the Eagles like two years ago.

21. 4ever19 says: Feb 2, 2016 9:01 AM

Speaking as a Colts fan of 51 plus years, leave Cam alone. I am of the belief that you act like you’ve been there before but I am old. If you don’t want Cam to dance, don’t let him score. Simple as that. That being said, why are all you folks so excited about this game. The Colts aren’t even in it.

22. boltbacker619 says: Feb 2, 2016 9:12 AM

The game is still obviously still so fun for him. When it’s not I’m sure he’ll walk away satisfied. It’s a kids game. Why shouldn’t he celebrate a score. And like he always does gives the ball to a kid who instantaneously becomes s lifetime fan of the sport. That’s pretty awesome.

23. solo681 says: Feb 2, 2016 9:14 AM

Peyton can definitely do the Head Gate Homer dance

24. marvin1958 says: Feb 2, 2016 9:16 AM

Look… I can’t stand “look at me” hot dogging by any player. I think it’s stupid and ego maniacal and I don’t care if the player is purple, orange, green or Neapolitan. Unfortunately, they all do it (with a few exceptional players of ‘style’).

…and that goes for Aaron’s “Discount Double Check” thing too.

I recognize that you kid’s like it as “fun” in a No Fun League but I, as a mature fan and former player beyond high school, see it as … like I said, ego-centric hot dogging.

Now that I’ve said that. Newton is likely, and should be, a unanimous choice for MVP. His ego-centric, ego maniacal, self centered gyrations aside … doesn’t hurt anything … He’ll grow out of that kid’s stuff when he becomes a mature adult.

25. leatherface2012 says: Feb 2, 2016 9:21 AM

no peyton you wouldn’t. youre like 65 years old

26. A sample of some of the dumbest people on the planet: JChipwood, ReligionIsForIdiots, Factsman66, VancouverSportsBra says: Feb 2, 2016 9:22 AM

There has never been a more awkward “athlete” than Peyton Manning in the history of sports. The dude is a remarkable talent, but he just isn’t a great athlete. Watching him run is painful. Hell just watching him run out of the tunnel looks uncomfortable. So I cant imagine he is going to be busting out any dance moves…

27. pocketsstraight says: Feb 2, 2016 9:23 AM

But will Peyton dab?

28. timmmah10 says: Feb 2, 2016 9:30 AM

beauregard says:
    Feb 2, 2016 6:59 AM

Career Stats:
    Passing Touchdowns
    Peyton Manning -539
    Cam Newton – 117
    Looks like Manning gets in the end zone just fine passing.

—————-
    Mr Beauregard, I do declare….

Manning 557 TDs in 266 games (2.09 TDs/Gm)
    Cam 160 TDs in 78 games (2.05 TDs/Gm)

He’s actually getting in the end zone more… however, it’s less exciting leading a guy across the goal line vs being the guy going across the goal line.

Too bad Manning is fading into the sunset… while Cam appears to be the new sun.

29. usdcoyotesfan says: Feb 2, 2016 9:33 AM

So sick of Panther fans defending Newton and telling us what a class act he is. I punked that dude earlier this season. I was visiting family in Charlotte NC, and we were at a restaurant when this clown showed up and started acting like he owned the place, then came over to our table, talking about how he was going to “whoop on everyone” for not giving him “respect.” Him being 6’5″ 245 lbs. and me 7 feet 320 lbs. I put him in his place very quickly. I’m just glad the guy who took a video of the whole thing deleted it instead of putting it out in cyberspace.

30. silvernblacksabbath says: Feb 2, 2016 9:34 AM

QCsteel55 says:
    Feb 2, 2016 7:50 AM

———————————
    Two or three years ago, I remember him doing his Superman thing against the Giants when losing 28-7 or 35-7. Pure class… I want to see him pouting in the super bowl:)

31. silvernblacksabbath says: Feb 2, 2016 9:41 AM

usdcoyotesfan says:
    Feb 2, 2016 9:33 AM

——————————–
    LMAO!!! 7 feet , 320 lbs, is that it? :)

32. cornerstone2001 says: Feb 2, 2016 9:41 AM

Manning has played horribly in all 3 superbowls, lucky to get one win in spite of him. This will be another fail in #4.
    There is NO way he can be ranked near the likes of Montana
    after his abysmal record in meaningful games

33. mack2x says: Feb 2, 2016 9:42 AM

I look at a lot of football related material almost daily and for some reason, I’m not seeing all the horrendous criticism of newton.

34. mack2x says: Feb 2, 2016 9:43 AM

“I’m pretty sure Cam smiling the whole time and dancing on the field is a better role model than Peyton chewing out his line and cursing at himself on the bench.”

—- LOL (literally)

35. Rdog says: Feb 2, 2016 9:44 AM

suhmonster90 says:
    Feb 2, 2016 6:50 AM

————————————-
    I guess a 15-1 season can erase the memory of Cam Newton pouting? You’re comparing Cam Newton in a 15-1 season to Peyton Manning after a bad play. Polar opposite people, polar opposite situations. How could you possibly compare the two?

With only one loss all season, there wasn’t really an opportunity to see the true Cam Newton. The next time the Panthers have a bad season, we’ll see the real Cam Newton. Except next time, there will be twice as many people watching…

36. sambaughslingers says: Feb 2, 2016 9:46 AM

…. He plays a game with a ball. Football is a game. It’s entertainment. It’s fun. I get not doing throat slash moves or throwing balls at a guy you just scored on, but honestly I have never understood why anyone cares about a person dancing for scoring points in a game.

Now I fully admit, I think its funny and fully acceptable when someone then gets mocked when they are on the losing end of a game as well. If I was a Denver Bronco defender and we were winning the game, I would totally do Cam’s Super Man thing if I sacked him or intercepted him.

After all it’s a game.

37. mack2x says: Feb 2, 2016 9:49 AM

“the biggest misconception is that he dances when they are down.”

–No, he sits on the bench and pouts with a towel over his head.

38. intrafinesse says: Feb 2, 2016 9:51 AM

I’ve seen Cam do his celebration even when losing.
    I also don’t particularly care for receivers celebrating every 1st down.
    I think it’s low class.
    What is the difference between “having fun” and “Poor sportsmanship”?
    At some point celebrations become excessive.
    Its a minor point, and I’m not saying Cam or the Panthers are bad, many other players do “excessive celebrations” for lesser accomplishments (a 1st down), it’s just that I don’t think it adds to the game.

39. therealzeitgeist says: Feb 2, 2016 10:10 AM

Simplest (though no means easiest) way to keep Cam’s celebrations away is instead give him lots of life review looking at puffy clouds over Santa Clara drifting by as he lays on his back from the LATEST MUGGING.

HORSEPOWER!

40. kerzondax says: Feb 2, 2016 10:27 AM

PERFECT answer.

41. junkmtb says: Feb 2, 2016 10:28 AM

usdcoyotesfan says:
    Feb 2, 2016 9:33 AM

—————————————————————-

And when you woke up from your dream sir, were you smiling??????

42. Frum Slum says: Feb 2, 2016 10:36 AM

Should be a great SB to watch.

Manning is one of the greatest QB minds and Cam is dominant in a totally different way. Styles make games and I really can’t pick a winner. Both teams have great defenses as well.

All things considered, I think it will come down to the team with the best offensive line play.

I’m really looking forward to this match up.

43. taeh324 says: Feb 2, 2016 10:36 AM

Some people on here are so miserable that they just want to hate everything. So many complain and whine all the time about the NFL taking the fun out football. Now people want to complain about Cam Newton having fun and dancing. I have no problem with it, does he dance after every first down? No. Does he dance after every pass completing? No.

44. sariff420 says: Feb 2, 2016 11:04 AM

Yeah lets give spoiled rich kids in end zone front row seats the ball. Screw the poor kids in the upper deck.

45. joetoronto says: Feb 2, 2016 11:06 AM

Tell me you can’t park a pickup truck in that head.

46. Silver and Black attack says: Feb 2, 2016 11:13 AM

Smart man..that way you keep getting cheered when you walk out on stage like last night and Cam gets booed…stay classy Peyton. Cam is a a good player, but he’s self centered and all about Cam. Fake as hell.

47. RE LEE says: Feb 2, 2016 11:15 AM

One is sassy, the other is classy. Both winners. Let’s just enjoy the fun. The season will be over soon and then the long wait. There will be no sham scandal to keep football on the spotlight. We hope…
    Incidentally when is Roger going to release the PSI tests?

48. rcali says: Feb 2, 2016 11:29 AM

Yeah but Newton has a “Camgasm” when he picks out a good booger. Don’t need to run for a TD Peyton to celebrate.

49. bradyakagod says: Feb 2, 2016 11:38 AM

My God is this Super Bowl boring compared to last years.

50. whispersd says: Feb 2, 2016 11:40 AM

Incidentally when is Roger going to release the PSI tests?

The scientific community waits with bated breath to see if the NFL will manage to disprove a gas law that has gone unrefuted for over 300 years.

51. granadafan says: Feb 2, 2016 11:49 AM

Does anyone really want to see Peyton attempt to dance? He’d probably do a lousy cabbage patch dance.

52. infectorman says: Feb 2, 2016 12:27 PM

Richard Sherman Dancing in the End-Zone after a Pick 6?
    HIGHLY Annoying

Cam Newton dancing in the end-zone after scoring a rushing TD

vaguely if not barely annoying.

Why? Sherman is an A-hole
    Cam is not.

It’s really that simple

53. unkleruckus says: Feb 2, 2016 12:39 PM

————————–
    You’re 7′ 320lbs and on an Internet message board instead of playing pro ball or enjoying your retiring $$$ after a career of pro ball. Wow! So basically you’re a walking side show without any of the perks of playing pro sports. I bet you must get a lot of attention walking in the insurance office or bank branch to go to work.

54. thetooloftools says: Feb 2, 2016 1:03 PM

Real men don’t answer the question “who are you wearing”?

55. footballfan72 says: Feb 2, 2016 1:51 PM

He could always go back to the 80s and do the safety dance….

56. Mr. Wright 212 says: Feb 2, 2016 1:54 PM

And we continue to go 100 for 100, as Patriots fans come on here talking about PSI in an article that is more remotely about New England as it is global warming.

57. bokchoibakinggas says: Feb 2, 2016 8:03 PM

Cam is great! He is celebrating small wins just like he should.

Cam is the future of the league and without him, his generation would be on to the XGames and Football would go the way of Boxing..

Seriously does anyone know who the world Heavy Weight Champion is anymore?

Cam keeps the NFL relevant.

However, it would be nice to see Peyton win one for the ol’ timers..

One triple option Peyton.. Just one..but keep the ball, they’ll never see it coming..

58. liveforwhatuwoulddiefor says: Feb 3, 2016 4:54 PM

Im from nc and i have been a panther fan since day one. I definitely want us to win but i would love to see Manning get a rushing touchdown just to see what dance move he would try to pull off. I have alot of respect for Manning one of the best qbs ever.