Peyton Manning wanted to tell Bill Belichick about rodeo in person

DENVER, CO - JANUARY 24:  Peyton Manning #18 of the Denver Broncos and head coach Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots speak after the AFC Championship game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on January 24, 2016 in Denver, Colorado. The Broncos defeated the Patriots 20-18.  (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images) Getty Images

Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning knew there were plenty of microphones and cameras around last week, when he told Patriots coach Bill Belichick that “this might be my last rodeo.’’

But to Manning, the ability to offer a word of respect was more important that the possibility that the worst kept secret in the world might be revealed.

Via Mike Klis of KUSA in Denver, Manning said he wanted to deliver his message in person to a coach and quarterback he had played against so often, in so many big spots, rather than sending word later.

I’m not naïve, I understand there are people around – I wanted to use that particular time to tell a coach that I’ve had 23 games against and have had some disappointing losses and some great wins – I told the quarterback Tom Brady the same thing,” Manning said. “There’s something about telling a person at that particular time as opposed to a text or even a handwritten letter. There’s something about telling a guy man-to-man, ‘Hey, boy you’re a heckuva player, you’re a heckuva coach. I’ve enjoyed these battles.’

“And I may play against these guys 10 more times. Brady’s going to play till he’s 70, Belichick is going to coach till he’s 90. Maybe I hit the fountain of youth in the next couple of months and play another 10 years. Who knows?”

Manning then gave the qualifier, the addendum that has kept him from making the declarative statement which everyone expects.

“But in case it was the last time I played against them in the championship,’’ Manning said, “what I said was true, “Hey, this could be. No definite. And something about telling them man to man, it wasn’t planned it was reactionary.

“You media folks are all over the field. You barely have time to move or talk to anybody so I just took the time to tell those guys and it was the way I felt at that particular time’’

The fact that Manning chose to go that route isn’t surprising, as he’s a guy who hand-writes notes. It’s not the modern way to communicate, but he never seemed like the type to tweet out his own news with a selfie anyway.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
38 Responses to “Peyton Manning wanted to tell Bill Belichick about rodeo in person”
  1. kurdishpats1 says: Feb 2, 2016 1:11 PM

I think I speak for all of Pats Nation when I say, It has been an honor watching these Brady-Manning games. Always so much excitement leading up to the game and was never disappointed. (Even the losses).

Glad I have been able to witness it.

Go Pats.

Go Manning.

2. vikings1234 says: Feb 2, 2016 1:16 PM

I will miss watching those battles.

3. mmack66 says: Feb 2, 2016 1:18 PM

“…hit the fountain of youth…”

We all know what that means.

4. nestrongsafety says: Feb 2, 2016 1:19 PM

Once Manning is gone from the game for good the NFL will not be the same. Manning, Brady always made for great football. I am a die hard Pats fan and remain thankful that I was able to see this future hall of fame player math up against my team in so many big games. Here’s wishing you go out on top Peyton….go Broncos!

5. odomfel says: Feb 2, 2016 1:36 PM

Manning doing it like this just seems like him. Quite fitting. Good luck in the game and go out on top. Go Broncos!

6. grogan537 says: Feb 2, 2016 1:39 PM

Manning’s a class act, his defense could learn a lot from him…

-Pat’s fan

7. randomguy9999 says: Feb 2, 2016 1:43 PM

nestrongsafety says:

———————————————————–

PM is epic and his style of being as good as a coach at the line has changed the NFL’s expectation of franchise QB ability forever.

when he does leave, whenever it is and under whatever circumstance, it will be a bitter sweet day for the NFL and he will certainly be missed…. but I’m still getting sick of the commercials… :)

8. roadtrip3500 says: Feb 2, 2016 1:48 PM

Peyton is both a class act and student of the game. He not only knows his opponents and the officials, he knows every broadcaster and addresses all the sideline reporters by name.

As for the man-to-man, he even delivered such a message to two guys who had no idea it was coming. At the 2006 Pro Bowl game (end of 2005 season), ESPN broadcast the game, but it was known at that point NBC had gotten the Sunday night package, ESPN was getting Monday nights, and Mike Patrick and Paul Maguire were calling their last NFL game on ESPN (they were moving to college football). After Peyton came out of the game, he was interviewed on the sideline and finished by looking directly at the camera and telling Mike and Paul how much he appreciated their work on Sunday nights when he would watch after playing a Sunday afternoon game, and wished them well with their new college football assignment. The two announcers sat in stunned silence for a good 2 seconds, then very humbly thanked Peyton for his kind words.

If Sunday is the last time we all see 18 on the field, it will certainly be the end of a legendary career – of a man who “got it”.

9. pillowporkers says: Feb 2, 2016 1:49 PM

Even with all of the lame stuff that comes with the NFL nowadays due to the money, us die hard actual fans of the game, can’t help but get a little emotional reading that regardless of team affiliation. Hopefully my Vikings can one day get to that point. Nothing but respect.

10. bullcharger says: Feb 2, 2016 2:04 PM

kurdishpats1 says:
    Feb 2, 2016 1:11 PM

Glad I have been able to witness it.

Go Pats.

Go Manning.

————–

Well said!!!

11. joetoronto says: Feb 2, 2016 2:13 PM

He is the man. Go Broncos.

12. dukeearl says: Feb 2, 2016 2:18 PM

PM is certainly a part of it, but the other part will be when Brady retires.
    Great players who would still have done well without the HGH and the cheating.

13. broncofanssuck says: Feb 2, 2016 2:19 PM

Is “fountain of youth” slang for HGH?

14. edelmanfanclub says: Feb 2, 2016 2:39 PM

I think Brady is better than Peyton, but its close anyway you slice it and I can see the arguement for both sides. It was a great rivalry, for arguably the two best we will ever see. Even though Brady has the edge, it’s fitting Manning wins the last battle because he was set to call it career first. I hate this Denver team, so if they lose I am happy. If they win, I am happy for Peyton and Peyton only. He’s a class act.

15. brintfatre says: Feb 2, 2016 2:39 PM

Cry for the camera and retire. Then un-retire after training camp… kinda like you did mid-season when you trumped up that foot thing so you could rest.

16. gmen05 says: Feb 2, 2016 2:44 PM

Love Peyton. Love Eli. Two classy guys. Would love to see Peyton win it all this year and retire.

17. logast says: Feb 2, 2016 2:52 PM

I am a 40 year plus Patriots fan. My disdain for all things Manning is purely only from a competition standpoint. (Conveniently omitting the Eli draft saga).

Would anyone have really expected that he do anything else here?

18. senatorblutarsky says: Feb 2, 2016 3:03 PM

manning: “Maybe I hit the fountain of youth in the next couple of months and play another 10 years. Who knows?”
    _________________

More like hit the syringe of HGH again.

19. senatorblutarsky says: Feb 2, 2016 3:11 PM

dukeearl says:
    Feb 2, 2016 2:18 PM

PM is certainly a part of it, but the other part will be when Brady retires.
    Great players who would still have done well without the HGH and the cheating.
    ________________

You are correct, sir. Without HGH and all of the cheating they both still would have been pretty good quarterbacks.

20. solo681 says: Feb 2, 2016 3:15 PM

I don’t see Peyton as a ‘classy’ guy.

Peyton is “Genrally Aware” that HGH was sent to his house under his wife’s name and he “More Likely than Not” participated in a scheme that ‘seriously impaired the Integrity of the Game’ while on HGH.

I don’t see that as classy unless he came out and admitted to it and took his suspension like a man.

21. tylawspick6 says: Feb 2, 2016 3:19 PM

This whole media assault crap at the end of games has always bothered me.

Belichick in particular has needed a paved path of armed security guards, even for a game in October.

There really should be some kind of rules the media has to follow in those situations.

After the 2006 AFC Title game where INdy finally won against the Pats, Belichick was pretty despondent where it appeared he just barely ackknowledged Manning, where the camera ONLY showed that.

But, what people don’t know is Belichick personally waited outside the Colts locker room to speak to Manning privately before hopping on the bus.

Too much of this is made to be framed in such a way that everyone plays this phony politically correct routine that was never there even 20 years ago.

Our society is becoming pathetic.

22. cornerstone2001 says: Feb 2, 2016 3:31 PM

Go away overrated Peyton Lance Armstrong

23. ashburninsider says: Feb 2, 2016 3:34 PM

Give it up with the HGH stuff. Even if he took it that would not help the mental aspect of the game that he is known for being a master of.

24. stevegrogannakedbootleg says: Feb 2, 2016 3:36 PM

Belichick can’t be reached outside of the field anyway

25. endzone says: Feb 2, 2016 3:38 PM

It is painful watching The Greats go. Whether a rather ignomious exit like Calvin Johnson from the Lions, or in a great glorious Supebowl blaze like John Elway and Ray Lewis were so fortunate to do. And so now we get to witness the exit of The Great Peyton Manning. It will be a Superbowl dogfight between two wonderful teams and QBs, as is fitting. I think he already has achieved Greatness, win or lose. Because, whichever it is, he will do it honorably.

His mind is such a wonder. For what its worth, I would like to see that genius at work again as an eventual head coach, but if that is not his cup of tea, next best would be as a General Manager like Elway. As far as that goes, maybe his endorsement millions could even allow him to own a future team.

But whatever walk he chooses, we should all say thanks Peyton!

You have been a pleasure to watch for all these seasons.

26. jonathankrobinson424 says: Feb 2, 2016 3:40 PM

……..Peyton and Tom have brought so much to the NFL. When they go, it really will be the end of a great football era………glad I was able to watch both their long careers.

27. buckyfan1965 says: Feb 2, 2016 3:58 PM

Peyton is a class act, HOF QB, and love his commercials. I find it disgusting that Roger Goodell has tarnished the last two Super Bowls with lame issues against 2 QBs who have done more for the game than probably anyone else in recent history. For the integrity of the game Roger please go away.

28. camdenyard says: Feb 2, 2016 4:01 PM

Hope he gets to do what Ray Lewis did on his Last Ride…ride away with a Lombardi.

29. stevegrogannakedbootleg says: Feb 2, 2016 4:13 PM

Payton – mmmmppphh Rodeo

Bill- You’re running away with the Rodeo ?

Payton – No

Bill- You’re too old anyway .

Payton – No , Last

Bill – I hope you last to

Payton – Forget it

Bill – Do I still get the Pizza discount code ?

30. ironyisadeadscene says: Feb 2, 2016 4:15 PM

Ted Wells thinks that was an admission of guilt

31. Patskrieg says: Feb 2, 2016 4:37 PM

I’m glad I’m not a huge baby (like most NFL fans) and can admit to respecting a rival opponent. Loved the Manning / Patriots rivalry.

That being said: Go Panthers.

32. the8man says: Feb 2, 2016 4:42 PM

Disclaimer: No footballs were deflated during this moment of mutual acknowledgment and farewell.

Nothing to see here, Ted.

33. Mo Pro Babble says: Feb 2, 2016 4:45 PM

The difference between Brady & Manning is the difference between one million and one million and one.

BTW, we just found out the NFL NEVER COLLECTED PSI READINGS! Stay tuned, PFT will surely post this soon.

It was all a SCAM! Now we can finally put this pathetic chapter to rest. Sorry Hateroids, you lose, again.

34. granadafan says: Feb 2, 2016 4:54 PM

Two of the greatest to play the game. Today’s football fans are lucky to have watched them play. I was old enough to watch Bradshaw, Plunkett, Stabler, Montana, Fouts, Marino, Favre, Elway, Young, Aikman, Warner, etc to play as well. I really appreciate greatness on the field.

35. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Feb 2, 2016 4:57 PM

As a man, Peyton is solid gold

36. TheWizard says: Feb 2, 2016 5:06 PM

This whole media assault crap at the end of games has always bothered me

Absolutely. Should be off limits until after showers at the very least.

The media thinks too much of this is about them.

37. ausernamethatisavailable says: Feb 2, 2016 9:43 PM

Reason #1,279 why everyone outside of Carolina wants Peyton to win and cam to lose. But we can all pretend it’s bc everyone is racist.

38. jbonesblog says: Feb 3, 2016 8:49 PM

As a physician, I am sick of you idiots and your thoughts on HGH. HGH is is naturally formulated hormone that does not make you stronger or faster or smarter. It simply helps you heal better naturally. I don’t think Manning used HGH but he should have and in the next five years it will be standard of care for surgical recovery. Get off of your soap box and give one of the best QB’s of all time the respect he deserves. This is coming from a Dolphins fan.