Cobb calls punctured lung “scary,” says Packers players believe in Lacy

Randall Cobb AP

Packers wide receiver Randall Cobb was last seen on the field making a highlight-reel catch in a divisional playoff game in Arizona that was negated by a penalty.

Cobb was slow getting up and knew something was wrong, but until he started coughing up blood a few minutes later, he thought he was just shaken up from a hard fall.

“I was really worried,” Cobb told PFT Live Wednesday. “To be coughing up blood…I couldn’t breathe. I felt like I was choking. Then I went to throw up and I was spitting up blood.

“We went and did the X-ray and I thought I was fine. I thought it was a broken rib. But unfortunately it was a punctured lung. It was scary.”

Cobb was hospitalized overnight. When he stopped by PFT Live on Radio Row in San Francisco Wednesday, he said he’s been feeling much better.

Like most players and celebrity guests, he was on Radio Row as part of an endorsement with Skittles. Naturally, Mike Florio asked Cobb if his teammate, running back Eddie Lacy, could have some of his Skittles.

“He can have them in moderation,” Cobb said. “We all back Eddie. We know the player he’s capable of being. I think this offseason is going to be telling for him.”

Packers Coach Mike McCarthy has said he wants Lacy to lose as many as 30 pounds before next season.

“Coach made a statement,” Cobb said. “I don’t think any of us lost faith in Eddie. We think he’ll come back and be ready to go.”

Watch Cobb’s full PFT Live interview below.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Cobb calls punctured lung “scary,” says Packers players believe in Lacy”
  1. joker65 says: Feb 3, 2016 3:27 PM

Heres hoping he OK. That’s got to be scary

2. arrowtoyourknee says: Feb 3, 2016 3:32 PM

I’ve broken ribs, but I’m sure a punctured lung is a whole new level of pain. Glad he’s feeling better, and makes a full & swift recovery. See ya next year, Cobb! Go vikes!

3. filthymcnasty3 says: Feb 3, 2016 3:34 PM

It was a heroic play by a gutty player.

Cobb deserves a ring before it’s all said and done. And the Packers are just to the team to get it for him.

4. whatjusthapped says: Feb 3, 2016 3:43 PM

Cobb will be fine but the silver lining in his injury is that it forced McCarthy into playing Jeff Janis and he ended the year with a bang. With Jordy Nelson coming back, the Packers now have 5 WR’s that can line up and play and that number doesn’t even include their leading catch WR from 2015, James Jones.

Its too bad for Jones but the Packers will go with their younger WR’s. The silver lining for Jones is that he can go play for the Vikings who can’t resist an ex Packer. Jones is a bit slower than he used to be but still will be a top 3 WR over there.

5. bradygirl12 says: Feb 3, 2016 3:43 PM

I’m glad he’s okay. I like Cobb’s toughness on the field. I like Lacy too,but in all fairness,Mike McCarthy should go on that diet right along with him. He could stand to drop 30 himself.

6. fwippel says: Feb 3, 2016 3:59 PM

Cobb will be back in full force; he’s one tough hombre. Randall “Tex” Cobb is a man of uncommon valor.

From a Viking fan, get well soon Randall.

7. stellarperformance says: Feb 3, 2016 4:23 PM

The Packers receivers should be good to go next year. Abracadabra was an all-state first-team high school quarterback, which is one of the reasons he is the best pure route runner on the team. Strength conditioning and fifteen pounds will make him a force to be reckoned with. Janis looked good, ten games too late (not his fault.) Cobb is just OK, Jordy will be 90%…never the same. Adams or Janis are goners if they pick up a stud in the draft.

They still need a true #1.

8. shaggytoodle says: Feb 3, 2016 4:26 PM

whatjusthapped says:
    Feb 3, 2016 3:43 PM
    _____________________

I know exactly where you are coming from, I agree Jones is going to be the odd man out with Jordy and Ty coming back as well, BUT what concerns me is vs. Dallas in the playoffs a year ago, Davatne Adams had a great game, and I felt it was the start of the New #3 WR begining to understand the scheme and become another threat in the offense.

I don’t know if he had a poor off-season or maybe play calling early on in the season had some to do with him. We ALL saw his drops and I am sure it frustrated everyone. While I hope that isn’t the case for those guys, do you think the Packers draft someone as an insurance policy? I think its tough with Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Monty, Janis, and Jared.

9. jimnsota says: Feb 3, 2016 4:39 PM

Cobb is an overpaid and overrated. Only reason his #’s are at high levels is solely due to Arodg. Case in point look at Janis and Aberdaris, when they get on the field they’er just as effective. Pack made a mistake paying Cobb, should of used that money and invested in the D.

10. deltaoracle says: Feb 3, 2016 4:54 PM

“…I thought I was fine. I thought it was a broken rib.”
    You can tell he’s a soft guy on a soft team, right?

He played most of the year with a bad shoulder; with Nelson gone he felt he had an obligation to the team to be out there every game.
    He’s smart and tough and I look for him to have a huge rebound year next season.

11. shaggytoodle says: Feb 3, 2016 5:00 PM

Cobb was overpaid for his production based solely on his numbers last season. I don’t think he is overrated yet, he had a hiccup season and while he may not be a #1 WR, he is effective out of backfield and was still able to make some great plays such as the one he was injured on.

No one on GB played on the level that many are use to seeing, I feel poor play calling had a lot to do with the slump after the bye week. If Cobb has another rough season. then start talking about him being overrated.

12. michaeljohnlee says: Feb 3, 2016 5:04 PM

I remember seeing it live and thinking it looked like something from a Shaw Brothers movie. Here’s to a speedy recovery. Tough dude.

13. fanofpft says: Feb 3, 2016 5:31 PM

Walk it off like Romo did. He had a ruptured spleen also.

14. contra74 says: Feb 3, 2016 6:03 PM

usdcoyotesfan says:
    Nov 8, 2015 5:07 PM
    I sure hope Bridgewater’s injury is serious. After all, you Viking fans were overjoyed when Rodgers went down with a broken collarbone, so we Packer fans allowed to be happy about Bridgewater’s injury.
    —–
    I wish all fans, regardless of team, would hope players injuries aren’t serious and that they recover quickly.

They are humans just like all of us

Hope Cobb gets well and gets back at 100%

15. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 4, 2016 1:06 AM

Dude is more fragile and petite than a cobb salad.

16. Wisconsin's Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says: Feb 4, 2016 2:52 AM

A punctured lung is not that scary. I would know. I’ve had them myself.

17. ariani1985 says: Feb 4, 2016 12:49 PM

Poor man’s jarious Wright!

18. viking1961 says: Feb 4, 2016 2:30 PM

ONE thing for sure……. ALL YOU HAVE TO LIVE FOR IN WISC is the packers ……what a SAD STATE of AFFAIRS …..! SPORTS is just entertainment ….. NO more, NO less …!!!!!

19. numba1wiscosportsfan says: Feb 5, 2016 9:04 AM

Here’s to hopeing MY GUY COBBE gets better and we take back the division next year! GO PACK!!

20. seapoeschl says: Feb 5, 2016 10:33 AM

jimnsota says:
    Feb 3, 2016 4:39 PM

—————

Please tell me who they should have used that money on. The only big named defense player was Suh, and his price was outrageous. Also he didn’t do anything this year.

21. hotboogerfart says: Feb 6, 2016 11:54 PM

It’s really nice to see even Viking fans showing support. Moments like these restore my faith in humanity.