Demaryius Thomas is not a believer in trash talk

SANTA CLARA, CA - FEBRUARY 02:  Denver Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas speaks to the media at the Broncos media availability at the Santa Clara Marriott on February 2, 2016 in Santa Clara, California.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

If there’s any jawing on the field in Super Bowl 50, Broncos receiver Demaryius Thomas will not be a participant.

“No, I don’t talk on the field,” Thomas said. “I let my play do the talking between the whistles. I don’t have to talk. There’s no reason to talk. We don’t get paid to talk. We get paid to play football.”

Thomas was asked if he thinks he’ll go back and forth with Panthers cornerback Josh Norman, but Thomas said he has no idea if Norman or any other cornerback trash talks him on the field. Thomas tunes it all out.

“No. I don’t know if anybody does talk. I don’t pay attention to it. I don’t talk. I don’t get into the talking,” Thomas said. “I’ve seen him on film talking. But if he does, it’s not going to bother me. I’m going to be ready for it.”

Thomas said he thought Norman’s back-and-forth with Odell Beckham in December was “crazy” and Thomas is confident he won’t be baited into any similar situation.

“No. There’s no reason to,” Thomas said. “That makes a cornerback play better.”

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Demaryius Thomas is not a believer in trash talk”
  1. braddavery says: Feb 3, 2016 12:18 PM

God I hate this week leading up to the Super Bowl. Play the game already. This stuff is meaningless.

2. RavenzGunnerz says: Feb 3, 2016 12:19 PM

Believe whatever you want DT. But 2 catches for 12yrds is NOT gonna get it done in the super bowl. You better show up.

3. jiffyjeff1 says: Feb 3, 2016 12:23 PM

Josh Norman is a girl, needing his posse to confront others because she cannot go one-on-one by himself…. ask Odell. While Odell got what he deserved, at least he answered this girl on his own, not needing a posse to respond. I hope Thomas smokes his backside.

4. doubleogator says: Feb 3, 2016 12:24 PM

Smart…

5. stealthjunk says: Feb 3, 2016 12:29 PM

Demaryius Thomas is an incredible human being. One of the best people you’ll ever meet.

6. oddte says: Feb 3, 2016 12:33 PM

I wouldn’t be either after the year he’s had.

7. rushbacker says: Feb 3, 2016 12:34 PM

This year, DT has let his drops do the talking. . . I’m a Denver fan, and I expect most of our production in the passing game to come from Emmanuel Sanders matched up against Carolina’s significantly less talented second and third corners.

8. blue18hutthutt says: Feb 3, 2016 12:39 PM

If he lets his play do the talking then that explains why he’s near invisible on the box score

9. willycents says: Feb 3, 2016 12:43 PM

I expect Carolina to try to take Sanders out of the game with targeted coverage. Due to the year he has had, I anticipate Thomas to get a somewhat lower level of coverage. Carolina’s defensive focus will be:
    1. Shut down the run
    2. Cut off Sanders
    3. Cut off the tight ends

10. chumpley says: Feb 3, 2016 12:43 PM

I like this guy. The fact that he doesn’t know who Coldplay is, makes him a-ok in my eyes.

11. boogerhut says: Feb 3, 2016 12:43 PM

Too bad he doesn’t have some physical trait for the 12 yr olds to comment on.

12. dsigrey says: Feb 3, 2016 12:51 PM

He also can be taken out of a game with one nice hit. Softy

13. haterade999 says: Feb 3, 2016 1:10 PM

Well, that makes him much smarter than the Broncos fanbase and GM.

14. jjackwagon says: Feb 3, 2016 1:12 PM

Stack the box. Make Peyton beat you deep. Easy win Panthers.

15. shogunassasin30 says: Feb 3, 2016 1:26 PM

Sadly I’m a 37 yr old man on IG and follow DTHE like a total lame. Anyway, he actually seems like the nicest freaking dude ever. Always smiling, not a hood kind of dude despite the environment he grew up in

16. iamkillerfin says: Feb 3, 2016 1:26 PM

Denver got rid of the wrong Thomas!!! He got paid & don’t have to catch anything he don’t want to & will be the cost of the game for Denver!!!

17. bchap17 says: Feb 3, 2016 1:31 PM

A nice guy, but has disappeared in some pretty big games for Denver. He’s paid like a big time WR, he needs to play like one on the big stage.

18. headwoundharry says: Feb 3, 2016 1:43 PM

Haters, should DT be ripped for not being manly?

19. bucks4ever13 says: Feb 3, 2016 1:45 PM

I agree with those thinking that Sanders will draw Norman in most cases. But if Sanders drops into the slot (not sure if that’s typical for Denver), Thomas will end up with Norman. Should be interesting to see how it pans out. Thomas is better than the season he’s had this year. It’s surely been affected by a down year for Denver’s offense as a whole. I wouldn’t bet against a big game for Denver’s offense knowing the pieces it has, but I surely wouldn’t put my money on big numbers from them either. I think that’s a bet I let lie. Carolina’s D isn’t all that different from Seattle’s which rocked Denver 2 years ago when Denver had a better O-line. Gonna be fun. Keep pounding!

20. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Feb 3, 2016 2:08 PM

willycents says:
    Feb 3, 2016 12:43 PM

1. Shut down the run
    2. Cut off Sanders
    3. Cut off the tight ends

—————————

I don’t think you can leave a #2 or #3 corner on DT no matter how bad of a year he has had. The guy is immensely talented and Manning will try to exploit that match up. If the Panthers pass rush doesn’t get home, it will be a long day for their defense.

21. granadafan says: Feb 3, 2016 2:23 PM

Man, this has to really piss off Norman and the coward Cortland Finnegan.

The two most lopsided sports fights in history were: 1) Nolan Ryan using Robin Ventura’s head as a speed bag. 2) Andre Johnson making Finnegan curl up into a turtle on the ground as he was getting pounded.

22. Seprix says: Feb 3, 2016 2:30 PM

So much class!

23. Matt Dolloff says: Feb 3, 2016 3:11 PM

So what exactly is he saying about himself with his 6 catches on 15 targets for 52 yards and no touchdowns in the playoffs?

24. jgedgar70 says: Feb 3, 2016 3:17 PM

He’s the best WR Denver has and I think Norman will guard him, and be fairly successful doing so. I think Kuechly will be on Owen Daniels, and the safeties will be able to help on Sanders or anyone else as needed. Thomas Davis and our DTs will get push up the middle to slow down the run game and pressure Manning, and as the game wears on, our constant rotating DEs will eventually wear the tackles down and Manning will get pressured from the outside also. I think the X’s and O’s give us the advantage on both sides of the ball. Still think it will be a close game though.

25. jchipwood says: Feb 3, 2016 3:55 PM

Anyone remember the days when it was taught not to showboat or brag about yourself? Kind of like the NBA 30 years ago.

26. 6thsense10 says: Feb 3, 2016 4:29 PM

Thomas had 105 receptios, 1304 receiving yards, and 6 TDs and was 6th in the NFL with 9 drops…..However he was 4th in targets at 177. Thomas’ down year is better than most receiver’s best year. And he played a chunk of the season with a QB that strained to get the ball 20 yards down field.

27. blue18hutthutt says: Feb 3, 2016 4:35 PM

6thsense10 says:
    Feb 3, 2016 4:29 PM
    ——————————————

Drops are an unreliable stat depending on the source – I’ve seen another article quote him as having 11 drops and ranking 1st in league in drops

Methinks the definition of a drop is highly contentious given that if you listen to most fans, some of these players have 11 drops a game

28. stealthjunk says: Feb 3, 2016 4:41 PM

I think it’s funny that people think Thomas is not doing very well this year. With a struggling Manning and a backup starting for the first time, he finished with 105 catches and 1,304 yards — 7th most in the NFL. Kubiak said last week that he’s never seen any team throw as many defenders at a WR as the Patriots did against Demaryius last week. When teams are double and triple teaming him to stop him, he’s probably the most valuable piece on the offense even when he only has a few catches. So good luck trying to focus all your attention on Sanders and ignoring the WR with the 7th most yards this year.

29. Bizzareslantpass says: Feb 3, 2016 4:48 PM

DT has had some knuckle head drops, but people often forget, as a #1 receiver, he draws a lot of assisted coverage.

30. billsbackto81 says: Feb 3, 2016 7:06 PM

Anyone that has anything negative to say about 105 rec and 1304 yds receiving is just a straight up hater wishing DT was on your team.

31. drake1990 says: Feb 3, 2016 10:14 PM

Dog DT all you want but dude holds the record for most catches in the biggest game of them all! Those games might as well be thousands of years ago. If Peyton shows, Thomas will show! DT is a franchise’s dream. There are very few guys as talented as him.