Peyton’s doctor told him he’ll eventually need a hip replacement

STANFORD, CA - FEBRUARY 03:  Peyton Manning #18 of the Denver Broncos drops back to pass the ball during the Broncos practice for Super Bowl 50 at Stanford University on February 3, 2016 in Stanford, California. The Broncos will play the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50 on February 7, 2016.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

Add a bad hip to Peyton Manning’s list of physical ailments.

Manning, the 39-year-old Broncos quarterback who missed a full season after four neck surgeries and more recently missed time this season with a foot injury, says that his doctor told him two years ago that he’s going to need a hip replacement down the line.

“Certainly when you have injuries, when you have surgeries, the doctor sometimes will mention to you, whether you ask him or not, ‘Hey you are probably heading for a hip replacement at a certain time in your life,’” Manning said today. “I said, ‘Doc, I didn’t ask you if I was going to have a hip replacement. I didn’t need to know that right here at age 37, but thanks for sharing. I look forward to that day when I am 52 and have a hip replacement.’ Am I going to have some potential neck procedures down the road? I don’t know the answer to that. The hip part was true. I can’t remember which doctor told me that. I have seen a lot of doctors. He was nice enough to share that information with me. I feel like I do a lot of things to try to ‘prehab’ if you will. Preventive type of stretching. I wear a posture shirt and different things like that. As those things come along later in life for me, I will try to handle them and try to have a good plan when those are around. I feel pretty good as we speak and I am fortunate for that.”

Manning may feel pretty good today, but his physical ailments seem likely to lead to his retirement after Super Bowl 50. With Manning’s list of injuries, it’s unlikely that he’ll still be in the NFL when he’s 40.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Peyton’s doctor told him he’ll eventually need a hip replacement”
  1. idpfantasyfootball says: Feb 3, 2016 6:03 PM

Can he exit the country to get stem cells for it?

2. thesmartest1 says: Feb 3, 2016 6:03 PM

That hgh has some serious side effects. Don’t overdue it.

3. purpleguy says: Feb 3, 2016 6:04 PM

As likely will 50% of all former NFLers.

4. jjeastwald says: Feb 3, 2016 6:04 PM

Playing in the NFL for as long as Manning has takes a tremendous toll on your body. The older he gets the more he’s going to feel it.

5. mybrunoblog says: Feb 3, 2016 6:05 PM

Lots of folks get hip replacements. Not a big deal. Manning will just be about 15 years earlier than the rest of us.

6. mataug says: Feb 3, 2016 6:06 PM

Peyton’s creeping into Big Ben territory of playing up his injured body here ?

7. johnkgc says: Feb 3, 2016 6:06 PM

Peyton, dude, if you’re trying not to sound super old and headed for retirement, you’re not doing a very good job.

8. BobbyHanks63 says: Feb 3, 2016 6:07 PM

I hope he won’t need one after the game Sunday. If Manning can help his defense with this game by not making too many mistakes it will be a great end for a great QB. If Panthers put him on the ground more than a couple of times it’s will not be good for Denver.

9. jdphx says: Feb 3, 2016 6:08 PM

Like…. Tuesday perhaps?

10. BobbyHanks63 says: Feb 3, 2016 6:09 PM

Correction “It will not be good for Denver”

11. dal1as says: Feb 3, 2016 6:13 PM

Wow who you guys going to bad mouth after he retires?

12. cowboy2016 says: Feb 3, 2016 6:15 PM

To the tune of the Nationwide jingle, he goes “Gonna need a new hip soon”

13. paulieorkid says: Feb 3, 2016 6:17 PM

The mannequin-stiff Peyton is about as “square” as it gets in the NFL — and that square apparently will need a new hip. So that future artificial hip awaiting install inside of Peyton is a “Hip to Be Square.”

Yes, that was brutal. I am sorry for wasting your time.

14. moses74 says: Feb 3, 2016 6:20 PM

Manning is one of the best that ever was…I hope he goes out in glory with a good SB performance and a win. He deserves it, nevermind all the haters, he’s did more than ANY of the haters has in this game of football, period

15. racksie says: Feb 3, 2016 6:21 PM

I just turned 50 and have both my hips replaced in the last two years. Never been better. Not a big deal at all. Was back to work in 6 weeks.

16. mmack66 says: Feb 3, 2016 6:22 PM

dal1as says:
    Feb 3, 2016 6:13 PM

Wow who you guys going to bad mouth after he retires?
    ——————–

Fragile Ben, RGMe, Johnny Football, Camera Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Tony Romo, Russell Wilson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Teddy Bridgewater, Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, Brandon Weeden, Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannehill…

17. charliecharger says: Feb 3, 2016 6:25 PM

It seems like I meet someone every day that has had hip replacement surgery. None of them ever played football.

18. thingamajig says: Feb 3, 2016 6:34 PM

Next step is adult Pampers.

19. skawh says: Feb 3, 2016 6:36 PM

Manning already won a SB. The multiple SB’s, each with a different coach, make the Brady comparison a false narrative.

Let the future of the NFL happen now. May Cam Newton get his first SB win. It would fit, because the NFC has been the stronger conference. AFC team NE gets a free pass to the playoffs each year by playing in a weak AFC East division. While other teams have to scrape out wins each week just to get to the playoffs.

Go NFC – Carolina!

20. troylok says: Feb 3, 2016 6:39 PM

It’s unlikely his body will still be 40 when he’s 40.

21. whereyaat says: Feb 3, 2016 6:41 PM

Actually, Manning will be about 10 years ahead of the rest of us, as I’ve met many 50-year olds who’ve gotten them.

There is a bright side – the life of a new artificial hip was recently (within the last decade) extended to 50+ years, meaning that thing should last the rest of Peyton’s life.

22. whereyaat says: Feb 3, 2016 6:42 PM

cowboy2016 says:
    Feb 3, 2016 6:15 PM
    To the tune of the Nationwide jingle, he goes “Gonna need a new hip soon”
    ————–
    Nailed it!

23. BroncosCheatedTheSalaryCap says: Feb 3, 2016 6:47 PM

Not surprised. Years of HGH abuse will do that to you. You only have yourself to blame Peyton. Sorry, truth hurts.

24. orange and blue owns the AFC says: Feb 3, 2016 6:51 PM

Warrior. I’d say he’s the greatest, but it’s hard to top Montana.

25. zeke2517 says: Feb 3, 2016 7:03 PM

HGH you taste so goooood….

26. chesswhileyouplaycheckers says: Feb 3, 2016 7:07 PM

skawh says:
    Feb 3, 2016 6:36 PM
    ————————

That is simply not true. NE was 4-2 against the AFCE this season, the same as last year. No division winner did worse and half were 5-1. The AFCE was the winningest division on the league this year and third winningest over the last 15. In that time the Pats have only swept their division twice in the Brady era. For the past 15 years NE’s winning percentage against the AFCE is .779 and against the rest of the league it is .767, an almost nonexistent .012 differential. NE pretty much wins at the same clip both in and out of the division year after year.

And that ‘stronger conference’ has won only 6 of the last 15 Super Bowls

27. fofrenchy says: Feb 3, 2016 7:10 PM

I know two people who died of complications in hip surgery. ..both were in their 60s in good health. Rare of course…but surgery has risks

28. ts1960 says: Feb 3, 2016 7:14 PM

My doctor told me the same thing. Crap happens when you are physically active, I am in my 50s.

29. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Feb 3, 2016 7:20 PM

He should blame Jim Irsay for giving him horrible offensive lines in Indy. One thing the Patriots have been able to do is giving Brady great offensive lines throughout his career.

30. mazenblue says: Feb 3, 2016 7:25 PM

All 90 year old men get hip replacements.

31. packmanfan says: Feb 3, 2016 7:53 PM

Don’t just take one doctor’s word for it. Sure, they know a lot more but they are also only human and make mistakes and should not be trusted.
    Get a 2nd, or maybe even a 3rd and 4th opinion.
    Peyton can afford to do that.

32. buckyhamm says: Feb 3, 2016 8:02 PM

Sounds about right. If something seems wrong surgery is the only solution ! If you’re a hammer everything looks like a nail. Thanks doc lol !

33. mutantclover says: Feb 3, 2016 8:54 PM

skawh says:
    Feb 3, 2016 6:36 PM
    ————————

Sure, if by “weak AFC East division,” you mean the best division in the league. Tied for best combined record. Most combined net points. Only division in the league with 3 winning teams. Only division in the league with 3 teams with positive net points.

34. lambeaudungbarn says: Feb 3, 2016 8:58 PM

He needs a brain replacement if he plays past this season.

35. loumann says: Feb 4, 2016 1:26 AM

Ya, I need one too. So want does he want, a parade?

36. bassplucker says: Feb 4, 2016 9:02 AM

——————–
    And a bajillion dollars richer than the rest of us. I’d take that tradeoff every time.

37. spoiledsport99 says: Feb 4, 2016 10:50 AM

This is not surprising, most orthopedic surgeons are businessmen with scalpels and they often recommend unnecessary surgeries to line their pockets. If it was up to most of them everyone would eventually have 2 knee and hip replacements. Gotta have that 3rd vacation home.