Von Miller loves Cam Newton’s dancing

voncam Getty Images

Cam Newton’s celebrations became a topic of controversy during the regular season when some players on the Titans took issue with Newton dancing in the end zone. But not all of his opponents have a problem with Newton’s actions.

Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller came out as pro-dancing when asked about the way Newton celebrates.

“What is my take on celebrations? I love it. I love it,” Miller said. “Whoever is dancing the most is probably going to win the game Sunday. I like to dance. I like to show emotion and celebrate with my teammates. Cam is the same way. I love it. I think it is great for the game. You have a younger generation that pays close attention to that and that is what they follow. That is the future of the sport. I think it is great. Whoever is dancing the most will likely win the game on Sunday.”

Newton and Miller were the first two picks in the 2011 NFL draft, and they’ve become two of the best young players in the league. And when it comes to celebrating, they’re on the same page: If you don’t like it, you’d better stop them from making plays.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
47 Responses to “Von Miller loves Cam Newton’s dancing”
  1. steelerben says: Feb 3, 2016 3:02 PM

Could this be the first Super Bowl decided by a dance off?

2. vicnocal says: Feb 3, 2016 3:04 PM

I hate it. I can’t imagine Dick Butkus dancing like a girl after he made a big play. Or Charles Bronson if he played football. And I’m not some old geezer, I’m 30.

3. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Feb 3, 2016 3:07 PM

Von Miller maybe the super bowl MVP since he’s got the speed to keep up with Cam and ruin his day.

4. doctorpancake says: Feb 3, 2016 3:10 PM

You Got Served 3: Super Bowl Boogalo

Featuring Ed Hochuli as Frank Dreben as Enrico Pallazio

5. whodat5150 says: Feb 3, 2016 3:11 PM

I don’t mind if a player celebrates after making plays because they’ve EARNED that privilege by executing the call. Cam Newton runs a lot and likes to celebrate after making a big play. Since he runs a LOT, the opposing defenses have PLENTY of opportunities to place numerous, big, LEGAL hits on him. I’ll have to agree with Cam that if you don’t want him to celebrate, then stop him. Or give him some bone-jaring LEGAL hits to dissuade him NOT to celebrate on the next big play he makes.

6. touchdownelvis says: Feb 3, 2016 3:11 PM

Funny to think that these were literally the two worst teams in football in 2010.

7. carolinachris says: Feb 3, 2016 3:12 PM

I’m tired of hearing how much these teams love each other. I want some entertaining trash talk.

8. mvp43 says: Feb 3, 2016 3:13 PM

I think Cam’s a great QB, but he looks like a complete tool when celebrates like that. And that goes for any player regardless of race……….

9. creese76 says: Feb 3, 2016 3:14 PM

Ok Steve Urkel.

10. citizenstrange says: Feb 3, 2016 3:19 PM

I remember when Billy “White Shoes” Johnson was about the coolest thing I’d ever seen ….. and a lot of people just HATED him. Things change and evolve over time. Just ask the Washington D.C. team.

11. chinahand11 says: Feb 3, 2016 3:20 PM

This is what we got for Super Bowl week media stories: Cam dancing or Peyton maybe retiring. It’s already old. You would expect the media to come up with something more intriguing, like they did last year.

12. armchairqb says: Feb 3, 2016 3:21 PM

But I doubt Mr. Miller would hesitate to snap Mr. Newton’s legs off should he get the opportunity.

13. futures44 says: Feb 3, 2016 3:21 PM

How is Denver ever going to win a Super Bowl. The two Super Bowls won, were because of circumventing the cap. Which they lost a draft pick for cheating. The other Super Bowls played fair and square were blowouts. Carolina will be the same, all money is betting on the Panthers.

14. silverhornet says: Feb 3, 2016 3:22 PM

That reminds me of that old Michael Jackson video when the two gangs are going to have a knife fight.

15. jag1959 says: Feb 3, 2016 3:30 PM

The dancing and styling may not be my thing but I respect and admire the display of talent that usually precedes it, gotta take the bad with the good. Madden and SportsCenter have combined to produce Dance Nation. It is what it is. Don’t like it? Then make the play that prevents it.

16. orange and blue owns the AFC says: Feb 3, 2016 3:37 PM

Gonna be great to watch a quarterback who can actually challenge this defense. I don’t think there’s going to be a whole lot of dancing.

17. coloradical420 says: Feb 3, 2016 3:42 PM

You can dance if you want to. You can leave your friends behind…

18. hairdownthere says: Feb 3, 2016 3:49 PM

Camera is one Super Cool guy. I love it when he takes a selfie before the play is over. That is a true Leader!

19. boogerhut says: Feb 3, 2016 3:51 PM

touchdownelvis says:
    Feb 3, 2016 3:11 PM

I know right? The way things change in half a decade is mind boggling. I can’t believe how many players are in the league that weren’t even in college in 2010. Totally freaking me out.

20. nflrule says: Feb 3, 2016 3:58 PM

See if he loves it when the Panthers roll over them Sunday..

21. bucks4ever13 says: Feb 3, 2016 4:05 PM

hairdownthere says:
    Feb 3, 2016 3:49 PM
    ____________________________________

You seem as though your team has been victimized. The truth is that while Cam may call attention to himself, he is also calling attention to his teammates. He also calls attention to his causes and the work he does in the community. He has fun playing a game. More power to him. This team wouldn’t be here without him. He’s done a fantastic job being a leader in the locker room, on the field, and in the community. He’s not out partying with Manziel, he’s not beating his girlfriend, he’s not out street racing… He’s busy improving his game so he can have more opportunities to dance. Move on. This is a non-story.

boogerhut, I apologize. I accidentally hit report before the like button. Hopefully they will see my comment and just let it be because there’s nothing wrong with your comment.

22. sirthorazine says: Feb 3, 2016 4:06 PM

There are two things that I could really couldn’t care less about while watching football:
    1. what the uniforms look like

2. whether or not a player does a celebration act after a big play.

People seem to go nuts over these two things.

23. Cody Thomas says: Feb 3, 2016 4:19 PM

Dancing celebrations are the future of the sport? Good lord, have mercy.

24. pantherpro says: Feb 3, 2016 4:30 PM

Cam is going to get cramps from dancing so much on Sunday. just be careful what you wish for. He might be dancing on the bronco logo before the game ends! Go Panthers!

25. kidzaround says: Feb 3, 2016 4:46 PM

I wonder if by “dancing” he means rubbing some body part in somebody’s face?

26. Mo Pro Babble says: Feb 3, 2016 5:00 PM

citizenstrange says:
    Feb 3, 2016 3:19 PM

yup, the genesis of the “look at me” generation. The end of class in football.

Thousands of men made thousands of plays and walked back the the huddle before this twerp decided we needed to see him dance. Just another chump who has confused style with class.

It’s like football is becoming a parody of Baseketball.

27. tindeaux says: Feb 3, 2016 5:02 PM

Cam will probably dance on his back 3-4 times on sunday. watch!!!

28. Mo Pro Babble says: Feb 3, 2016 5:03 PM

sirthorazine says:
    Feb 3, 2016 4:06 PM
    1. what the uniforms look like

2. whether or not a player does a celebration act after a big play.

People seem to go nuts over these two things.

What the heck, let them wear whatever they want! The NFl will certainly benefit from pants below the buut cheeks and sideways helmets. Yeah, that’s good for football. And nothing is classier than some dumb dance that was invented 20 minutes ago being performed after a sack when the team is down 3 scores.

It’s the reason I don’t watch basketball anymore, the champs are all chumps now.

29. justintuckrule says: Feb 3, 2016 5:23 PM

I’d take a 15 yarder and the $23,456.78 fine if I was a defender and that dude “dabbed” or “she-nay-nayed” or whatever the heck else he calls it against my team.

30. nyneal says: Feb 3, 2016 5:27 PM

Cam Newton is proving he is an excellent young QB. I wish he’d stop all the theatrics, though.
    The great QB’s never did that stuff and he doesn’t need to do it either.
    I keep hearing from young sports guys in the media that the sport has changed and so has the modern athlete. Well, I say it’s for the worse.
    Trash talking and all the me-me celebrations are an indication that these guys are immature. They have grown up watching other pros do this kind of sappy stuff and don’t have a clue what it means to act classy.
    So Cam — please. Stop all this crap and just play football. I just wish that some defensive player would get so angry about him and others doing this crap that they’d go after him while he’s doing it. I know this much, he wouldn’t have gotten away with it if guys like Dick Butkus or Deacon Jones were playing. They’d have taken his head off.
    The trouble is, there are no Dick Butkuses or Deacon Joneses left in the NFL. The defensive guys do the same kind of crap Newton does.

31. hairdownthere says: Feb 3, 2016 5:31 PM

I guarantee you if Peyton Manning danced a jig after every play, always talked about “ME”, and never acknowledged his teammates there would be trouble in Mile High City!

32. jjackwagon says: Feb 3, 2016 5:32 PM

Cam will probably dance on his back 3-4 times on Sunday. watch!!!

Probably.

He will probably dance 3-4 times in the end zone as well.

33. chrishansonmanson says: Feb 3, 2016 5:44 PM

When the play really makes an impact, then I can see a celebration. Too many times you see a guy make a tackle after a 15 yard run and acts like he stuffed him one on one at the goal line. Newton has been pretty fair the year to knowing been and even more important, where to insert a little nudge. With this being the most important game this year, any play could be that big impact play.

34. justintuckrule says: Feb 3, 2016 5:57 PM

nyneal – I agree with everything you said except for the word “Dick Butkeses”. I do believe that the proper plural would be Dick Butki

35. abninf says: Feb 3, 2016 6:10 PM

He likes watching other men dance for him? Hmmm.

36. danm1978 says: Feb 3, 2016 6:46 PM

So because people are favouring with the Panthers that means it’ll be a blowout? Denver were favoured in SB48 and we know how that ended up. Patriots were favoured to beat the Giants and gloriously finish 19-0 ….we know how that ended up. As for the dancing….It’s all good. The only thing that has annoyed me about Newton dancing after a td in the 4th when they were 28 down. Hopefully he dances in that scenario this Sunday lol

37. skawh says: Feb 3, 2016 6:52 PM

All this noise and nonsense about Cam dancing in TD celebrations. Not one of armchair critics wouldn’t want Cam “dancing” for THEIR team in this year’s SB!

And I’m old school enough to have seen BUTKUS play when he played. You’ve got to live in the present man. Yesterday’s game is gone.

Speaking of “yesterday.” There was a saying in the 60’s
    ‘DO YOUR THING’

Folks wanting individuals not to display THEIR personality, that’s uniquely there’s alone, are the biggest whiners.

38. plum54 says: Feb 3, 2016 6:56 PM

Good thing he doesn’t mind since he’s going to be seeing LOTS of dancing come Sunday.

39. youdrivemenutseagles says: Feb 3, 2016 7:04 PM

skawh says:
    Feb 3, 2016 6:52 PM

Speaking of “yesterday.” There was a saying in the 60’s
    ‘DO YOUR THING’

————-

Amen, brother!

40. richardparker123 says: Feb 3, 2016 7:38 PM

Please shut up, Von. You’re off your rocker. Don’t encourage that end zone goon Cam Newton and make things worse.

I want the Panthers to get shut out Sunday for no other reason than Cam’s hams will be nowhere to be seen.

41. mototax says: Feb 3, 2016 7:50 PM

plum54 says:
    Feb 3, 2016 6:56 PM

=============
    Miller will be at the dance! Pats, not so much.

42. dtroxallday says: Feb 3, 2016 8:01 PM

It’s especially annoying when he does it after a 3yd run for a first down at his own 30 with 10:37 to go in the first. I do have to hand it to him though. He’s visibly every bit a big pouty baby when things aren’t going well.

43. davefromtheburgh says: Feb 3, 2016 8:03 PM

I was rooting for the Panthers to lose in the NFC Championship Game because I knew the next two weeks would be about dancing. If Arizona had won, we wouldn’t have to put up with any of this garbage. I’m a young guy, and I can’t stand all of this stuff. We keep hearing that if you don’t want people to dance and celebrate, don’t let them score, catch a pass, etc. Baloney. Bad sportsmanship shouldn’t be the norm just because somebody made a big play. If I had one wish for 2016, it’s that they’d throw a flag on all of these dance celebrations and get them out of the game.

44. rootpain says: Feb 3, 2016 9:18 PM

I get the dancing being a Milenial thing and all that. And yeah, some people think it’s a fun way of expressing yourself. And yes, Cam us an elite player. But I have a couple of issues with it. First of all, if you allow the same level of expression every time a first down is made, the game will never end. And then knowing the NFL, it will use it as another advertising break, making things even worse.
    Next, as has been frequently commented, Cam is a team and a social leader. In that capacity, he will influence others, many others. Go to any high-school football game and you will see his dabbing ad nauseum. Only problem is that the young players are dabbing just for putting on their helmet and running on the field. They choreograph better than they run and tackle and think it’s cool because Cam does it. But they are not Cam. And most will never be. They need more than an irritating dance to get through life. Yeah, it’s that serious.

45. plum54 says: Feb 3, 2016 9:49 PM

43-8

46. daltondillard says: Feb 3, 2016 10:46 PM

Sometimes people over do there celebrations a little is okay but sometime cam and miller celebrate too much

47. jbfazz1213 says: Feb 3, 2016 10:59 PM

I Don’t Get This Strawman Argument. I Keep Hearing On TV and Radio all day about how all they hear is how everyone Is against Cam. Celebrating. Been Listening all Week and I Never Hear It. Charles Barkley is Right. Do I Hear Some People Do It Yes. But VERY Few. U Would Think Almost Everyone Hates Cam Celebrating. Not True.