Reggie Bush says he has no plans to retire

Reggie Bush AP

Reggie Bush’s 2015 season came to an abrupt end after skidding on concrete at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis in November.

The slip left Bush with a torn ACL and ended his season after just five games with the San Francisco 49ers.

But despite the injury and the fact he’ll be 31 in March, Bush isn’t considering retirement yet. According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Bush wants to keep playing in 2016.

“I’m not retiring,” Bush said. “I’m still playing. No, I’m not done. And I would never – knock on wood – I never want to end my career like that, going out with that.”

Bush had just eight carries for 28 yards in five games with San Francisco last season before the injury. He also carried just 76 times for 297 yards and two touchdowns in 2014 with the Lions as both seasons have been plagued by injuries.

Bush will be a free agent when the new league year begins next month.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
10 Responses to “Reggie Bush says he has no plans to retire”
  1. vicnocal says: Feb 10, 2016 4:38 AM

2. sansbushman says: Feb 10, 2016 4:53 AM

He can’t retire until he collects a big paycheck from Edward Jones Dome – a check bigger than any over-the-hill RB’s veteran minimum contract.

3. PhD says: Feb 10, 2016 6:07 AM

As long as sucker teams want to keep paying him to find a way to get injured and rehab, he’ll take it. How can you blame him?

4. rukiddingme2014 says: Feb 10, 2016 6:43 AM

Who wants to pay for a back that is always injured. #wayoverrated

5. lynnko says: Feb 10, 2016 7:12 AM

If someone gives Reggie a look, shouldn’t someone give Ray Rice a look? Rice is younger

6. Kelly's Chronicles says: Feb 10, 2016 8:05 AM

Most overrated RB ever……

7. zinnsand21 says: Feb 10, 2016 9:51 AM

Bush was so brittle last season. He barely took off running and pulled a calf muscle rendering him unable to play for weeks. Then he returns runs out of bounds slips on the St Louis sideline cement, sliding gently on his butt and kissing the wall. That tore his MCL.. I think his body is trying to tell him that he is done. If I’m a team I wouldn’t sign him for more than the minimum and would play him all preseason to see if he stays healthy.. Even then if he gets injured, you are still stuck with an IR guy so basically I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole.

8. captainwhodat says: Feb 10, 2016 10:38 AM

…probably will be a free agent when the 2016 starts…

9. nflgtcfl says: Feb 10, 2016 1:59 PM

Had some good years and big plays. Not worth the 1st overall pick or many of the dollars he got in his contracts.

Don’t draft RBs high, they can be found later, even in 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Usually stud RBs in college are put through the ringer in college and break down sooner.

10. ivanpavlov0000 says: Feb 10, 2016 4:05 PM

When Reggie played in Detroit, it was exciting. You knew a big play could happen. The problem was, you didn’t know which team was going to have a big play. Reggie would make a spectacular run (when healthy), whether he’d hang onto the ball was always a concern.