C.J. Anderson knows he can be a bell cow back

AP

At no point during the 2015 regular season did Broncos running back C.J. Anderson carry the ball more than 15 times. In the Super Bowl, he had 23 carries and four receptions for a total of 100 yards from scrimmage.

Did that make him think he can do that job more frequently?

“Oh, I know that’s something I can do,” Anderson said during a visit to Thursday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio. “You know, we chose to go the two-back route and we chose to split time with me and Ronnie [Hillman] and just try to get a change of pace. You know, keep defenses off balance. But I mean if they want me to touch the ball 25 times, 27 times, 28 times, either way whether it’s all carries or carries and catches I believe I can handle it always, whether it’s being a third-down back catching the ball out of the backfield or picking up the blitz and also being first- and second-down just every-down back.”

Anderson, the unsung hero of Super Bowl 50, had 90 yards rushing, including a 34-yard burst punctuated by his ability to shake off Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly. Anderson also scored Denver’s only offensive touchdown. Unlike defensive lineman Malik Jackson, who scored the other touchdown for the Broncos, Anderson didn’t through the ball into the stands.

He could have more footballs to add to the collection, if Sunday’s performance is a sign of things to come.

40 responses to “C.J. Anderson knows he can be a bell cow back

1. I’m just tickled pink that we get all these good stories about upstanding young men that don’t cheat to win like the new england skidmarks.

2. I know it’s just me, but I think the use of “bell cow” for football players is a major misappropriation of that term.

3. I really like CJ. Undrafted out of Cal, runs like Marshawn. He has good hands out of the backfield as well. I really thought 2015 was going to be his break out season. Clearly my fantasy record will show how wrong I was. Nevertheless, this kid is pretty good at breaking tackles and getting those tough yards. Look out for this kid.

4. it’s really amazing how much the bronco offense has changed in just over a year, the past 2 seasons’s Manning was just slinging it all over the place and racking up the yards, this season they were forced to become a running team and look what happened.. they won the superbowl. It just proves, no matter how infatuated the league becomes with passing sooner or later it’s gonna come down to who can run the ball and play defense.

5. Seriously……”Through the ball”? Do you guys even bother reading your stories before they are posted? And how does a professional writer not have a good enough grasp of the English language to make that mistake to begin with?

6. Good thing he didn’t throw it through the looking glass!

I wonder if a girl named Alice caught the ball he threw?

7. throw the ball? not through the ball? Is there a joke somewhere that I don’t know?

Anyways. CJ was supposed to be a bell cow back when I kept him on my fantasy team last year. If I don’t keep him now and he turns into an every down back I’m going to hate Gary Kubiak so much.

8. He is far better than Ronnie Hillman who doesn’t look like an NFL quality back. I think CJ Anderson is better in everything than him outside of speed. Don’t know if Anderson is a feature back but he got the job done in the big game.

9. “Anderson didn’t through the ball into the stands.”

Hate to be the grammar police but i believe the word you’re looking for is “Throw”… FYI

————————————————————

I Hate to be the grammar police, but it’s not “I”, it’s “I”.

10. This guy was a 1 year flash in the pan. Even as fat as Eddie Lacy was this season, he still out rushed him and that was with Lacy sharing carries as well.

Anderson fooled a lot of people once. He won’t fool them twice. There was a reason he was sharing carries to begin with….he wasn’t productive.

11. mikermiker says:
    Feb 11, 2016 1:34 PM

____________________

No they just cheat the salary cap & have a culture of PED abuse… salt of the Earth over there in Mountain Country

12. mikermiker says:
    Feb 11, 2016 1:34 PM

_________________________

One of the unsung benefits of being a Pats fan is knowing that even when the Pats blow it in the playoffs, the winning team’s fans still cant get the Pats out of their heads. LOL

13. Just a hardworking back who is a real team guy. He’s been that way since his days at CAL (Lynch, Shane Vereen, Justin Forsett, CJ Anderson). I’ll take those backs over the busts from Alabama.

14. Secretary = Administrative Assistant
    Garbage Man = Sanitation Engineer

Good Workload Running Back = Bell Cow?!?

Can we stop with the word games? Geez

15. The biggest thing he did for his team in the Super Bowl was not fumble Got tough yards with guys smacking ball and he held on. Didn’t try to do too much and expose the ball. Ran hard and smart.

16. mikermiker says:
    Feb 11, 2016 1:34 PM

——————————

I’ll reserve judgment on that until VM’s urine tests come back clean.

17. mikermiker says:
    Feb 11, 2016 1:34 PM

==================================

Let’s see. PEDton leading the team at QB. Classy Von Miller is multi-PED abuser and then tried to cheat the tests. Von was classy against Pats saying he rubbed his junk in Brady’s face and then had a lowlife taunt of grabbing his crotch. The only other two Super Bowls won were when the Donks cheated the Cap for Horse-teeth Elway and the RB. Those were the biggest penalties ever assessed for cheating but it has been swept under the rug. Yes, the Donks won it in a clean way as usual. I guess even when celebrating in the Ganja state, you still have the Patriots in your head.

By the way, did you read the great story about CJ talking about how much respect he has for Tom Brady? After a very disappointing loss to the Broncos, where he was beaten up physically, Tom spent a few minutes right after the game talking up CJ to him and giving him props.

I guess the haters gonna hate…even when their cheating team wins it all!

18. mikermiker says:
    Feb 11, 2016 1:34 PM

———————————
    Look up CJ Anderson and the respect he has for Brady and the Pats. Study up, unless you’re trying to be ignorant…

19. Teddy BH20’s House of Noodles says:Feb 11, 2016 2:54 PM

———————————————————

CJ dealt with turf toe in the beginning of the season, but still managed to average 4.7 yards per carry for the season. Eddie Lacy averaged 4.1 YPC. So your whole knock on CJ is that he touched the ball 30 less times than the fat man?

20. mikermiker says:
    Feb 11, 2016 1:34 PM

————————–

Then you’ll really enjoy it when he’s playing for the Patriots soon. Brady’s compliments to him were genuine but a bit of a recruiting trip.

21. C.J. is highly overrated, most of the time he is brought up short but one 20 yard run here and there boosts his YPC. He’s no Davis, McGahee or Porter, a true Bell-Cow back able to be a gamechanger, I like the kid, but let’s not make more of him then he really is.

22. missile742 says:
    Feb 11, 2016 3:39 PM
    mikermiker says:
    Feb 11, 2016 1:34 PM

_________________________

————————————————-
    Except maybe the Broncos. The ONLY team to have a winning record against Tommy Boy!

23. CJ can run like a sportscar on dry turf and turn snowplow strong in the elements:) Who cares how he did in your fantasy league, CJ and his mates are World Champs!

24. CJ looked very impressive during moments of the season that counted most during 4th qtr crunch time. This is the kind of guy you want on your team that will not choke. I love his style..its a mixture of scat back and elegance in his style of running.

25. CJ gets better the more carries he gets but he’s had a lot of injuries in the past so I don’t believe we should expose him to that role. The 2 back system is fine and stick with CJ more often.