Justin Tuck plans to sign one-day contract to retire with Giants

Justin Tuck AP

Defensive end Justin Tuck spent nine seasons lining up for the New York Giants. So it only seems fitting he’d retire in a Giants uniform.

According to Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, Tuck said during an appearance on the Giants’ team website that he intends to sign a one-day contract to retire with the Giants.

“One question we didn’t get asked that I’ve seen a lot of Giants fans tweet me is ‘Am I going to do a one-day contract with the Giants?’” Tuck said. “The answer to that is ‘Yes.’ We can’t do it yet because the league (year) doesn’t open until the second week of March. So for all the Giants fans out there asking me ‘Am I going to retire a Giant?’ Absolutely I am.”

Tuck announced his plans to retire earlier this month. While he spent the last two seasons of his career with the Oakland Raiders, the majority of Tuck’s success came in the Big Apple.

Tuck posted 60.5 sacks in nine seasons with the Giants. He posted at least 10 sacks in a season four times during his tenure in New York.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Justin Tuck plans to sign one-day contract to retire with Giants”
  1. theheyseed says: Feb 12, 2016 12:22 AM

Good player, I was glad when he went West and the Redskins didn’t have to face him twice a season.

2. anonymousnevermindfishdeath says: Feb 12, 2016 4:24 AM

Thank you for your service to the greatest team civilization has ever known.

3. mikea311 says: Feb 12, 2016 6:23 AM

Superbowl 42 MVP.

4. boknowsvt says: Feb 12, 2016 7:20 AM

As a Raider fan I have no problem with this. Let’s face it, the guy was a Giant. I was upset when he announced his retirement not for what he brought to the field, but for what he brought to the locker room. Without him I don’t think Mack is the beast that he is today, Aldon Snith might not have been a Raider, and Mario Edwards Jr. May not have shed the “lazy” label. I’m grateful for his time as a Raider and I hope he joins the coaching staff at some point.

5. gnate51 says: Feb 12, 2016 8:19 AM

Best of luck in the future. It’s good to see you retire as a Giant.

6. floratiotime says: Feb 12, 2016 9:38 AM

No disrespect to the Raiders, but 9 years and 2 Superbowl championships … this had to happen.

7. roadtrip3500 says: Feb 12, 2016 12:52 PM

boknowsvt says:
    Feb 12, 2016 7:20 AM

No bigger show of leadership than the Raider game against KC where they were finally going to win in 2014, two young Raiders defenders were too busy celebrating the late 4th quarter sack that they didn’t realize the offense had hustled to the line and were about to get the easiest offsides call in history – but recognizing the situation, Tuck quickly called time-out to prevent that. Tuck then promptly chewed out those teammates about keeping their head in the game.

Tuck earned that “C” with both teams.

8. bigbluefan1 says: Feb 14, 2016 11:53 AM