Arian Foster looking at football differently during twilight of career

Houston Texans v Dallas Cowboys Getty Images

The Texans are expected to cut ties with running back Arian Foster, due in part to concerns from the man who signs the checks that Foster spends too much time rehabbing soft-tissue injuries.

As Foster, who’ll turn 30 in August, heads toward the final years of his NFL career, his feelings on football are hardening.

I watch zero football. I swear,” Foster recently told actor Michael Rapaport in a podcast, via the Houston Chronicle. “Of course, I used to be a super fan growing up. Once you see the business side, you see it differently. I’m pondering entering the last couple, 3-4 years of my career and I’m thinking about what life will be like after football and I’m looking at the game differently. I look at it more like, ‘I hope these guys come out healthy because they’ve got families.’ It’s not just entertainment to me any more. I see the men and the humans behind it. It’s a vantage point that not a lot of people get to see. I still do enjoy the game. I love it, but it’s just hard for me to watch it from a fan perspective.”

Foster also pointed out the double standard that applies to owners and players, with no one batting an eye when a team rips up a contract but players being accused of selfishness and greed when they have outperformed their contracts.

“He’s doing what is best for him and his family,” Foster said of the player who asks for more. “It’s a business move. People don’t think about that. They don’t look at you as a human anymore once you make a certain amount of money.”

Foster likewise expressed concerns about Thursday night games, but his feelings are far from universal. It seems that for every player who publicly questions short-week games, many others have no issue with it — especially when considering the light work week before the game and the mini-bye on the back end.

“I don’t want it to sound like I’m complaining,” Foster said. “I’m not complaining, I love what I do. I’m very . . . I don’t want to say privileged because that’s disrespectful to the work I’ve put in and everybody else put in, but I’m just very grateful for the opportunity to play in the NFL.”

Given the position he plays and his history of injuries, the opportunity in Houston could soon be evaporating. The question then becomes whether and for how much compensation other teams will provide him another opportunity.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Arian Foster looking at football differently during twilight of career”
  1. thefatlazygamer says: Feb 13, 2016 6:24 PM

Last 3-4 years?

You’ve been done for quite some time.

You’re horribly injury prone and will struggle to find work.

If you think you have 4 years left, well good luck with all that.

2. harrietknutczak says: Feb 13, 2016 6:28 PM

No victims, only volunteers

3. bigredgoog says: Feb 13, 2016 6:50 PM

“I don’t want to say privileged because that’s disrespectful to the work I’ve put in and everybody else put in”

I think that is one thing he gets right.

4. duanethomas33 says: Feb 13, 2016 6:51 PM

I’ve been around for awhile and have seen these “I don’t watch football guys” who are enlightened. Watch after his career is over, he will be very involved in NFL & NFLPA events, promoting football. Playing in alumni games, coaching etc… watch.

5. fanofpft says: Feb 13, 2016 6:53 PM

3rd down specialist?

6. steelers4385 says: Feb 13, 2016 7:01 PM

Eat more meat man. You know it will make you better.

7. ditkainyourbutkus says: Feb 13, 2016 7:07 PM

how’s that stock doing?

8. stylzinc says: Feb 13, 2016 7:13 PM

If it’s that bad, he might as well quit right now. Even in other walks of life, not everyone is paid equal to performance, timing is everything.

9. bryantrulen says: Feb 13, 2016 7:18 PM

Yes, Playing football at a high enough level long enough will do that to you. You start to see the negative parts of the game. The take away point is this, the higher you go, the more players are treated like stocks/commodities. Players are not even looked upon as human beings at times. It’s a harsh game and when your in the thick actually playing seeing it all before your eyes it really is scary sometimes.

10. chawk12thman says: Feb 13, 2016 7:21 PM

He will get another shot at some very decent money…..He also has potential to do well and is very gifted…….I don’t think he helps himself in doing these interviews and making these comments…….He needs to sell the fact that he is eager to get back to work, is healing well and should be good to go a couple more seasons (even if he isn’t)…..that is the business side of those players at the end of career still wanting more $……..

I wouldn’t want him on the Seahawks as I don’t think he could take the pounding that is required in a run based offense……He would excel in NE……..That is my guess for where he ends up next.

11. upscaleman says: Feb 13, 2016 7:32 PM

Slighty damaged? Twilight of career? and the Colts haven’t signed you to an overpriced contract yet?

12. naes says: Feb 13, 2016 7:35 PM

Looking at football differently?

So as if it isn’t a 3-4 week per year hobby?

13. ee00ee says: Feb 13, 2016 7:41 PM

Welcome to adulthood. We all look at things differently in our 30s than we did in our 20s. We aren’t invincible after all! I hope you saved some of your money…

14. truthfactory says: Feb 13, 2016 7:42 PM

I hate when people use the argument that the team “rips up the contract”. That is just not true. The contract that YOU THE PLAYER signed has clauses in there that allow for the team to part ways with you. In that case, you will get your guaranteed money and thats it.

IT’S ALL WRITTEN IN THE CONTRACT THAT WAY!!! They don’t “rip up” the contract… They execute certain rights they have been given within the contract that you the player signed!! Stop lying and twisting words to get sympathy for your cause. Every player knows they are only guaranteed the guaranteed portion of the contract. The rest of it you have to continue to prove your worth their investment, otherwise the teams have the contractual right to move on.

15. whiteybulgersson says: Feb 13, 2016 7:47 PM

Come to New England and win a ring for tam brady

16. unclerico14 says: Feb 13, 2016 7:49 PM

You will I’ve football again in New England, Mr. Foster. You and Brady have a lot in common when it comes to nutrition. Those hammy’s will never haunt you again…

17. jbfazz1213 says: Feb 13, 2016 8:34 PM

I Get It Thursday Football Is A Bit Much. Would Rather It Be 2 Monday Nite Games Than a Thursday Game.

18. realtruthteller100 says: Feb 13, 2016 8:35 PM

sorry but I remember another aryan who rejected His word and you saw the acts he committed!

19. coffeeblack95616 says: Feb 13, 2016 8:43 PM

The one issue with the complaint against owners that no one seems to acknowledge is that the owners FRONT ALL THE MONEY! The players don’t have to risk their financial future or come up with tons of money. This gives the owners some latitude in my estimation.

20. kcflake says: Feb 13, 2016 8:45 PM

Hard for me to have respect for an atheist

21. nenlain says: Feb 13, 2016 8:49 PM

Seems like Arian Foster has had a crappy attitude for a while and everyone including his boss knows it. Why sign a jaded player like this to any team.

22. bucfaninclearwater says: Feb 13, 2016 8:59 PM

Since dude became a vegan, his bodies is made of crystal. Mix in a steak, bro!!

23. abninf says: Feb 13, 2016 9:00 PM

He had a good season a few years back.

24. vikesr4reel says: Feb 13, 2016 9:13 PM

He is just a little over rated!!
    Ok, a lot over rated!!

25. dbatrox21 says: Feb 13, 2016 9:17 PM

Jerry can heal him…

26. stampnhawk says: Feb 13, 2016 9:27 PM

Rich from him, given all his Fantex involvement.

27. wattsupwiththatwattsupwiththat says: Feb 13, 2016 9:53 PM

Just reading this adds to list of why I never really liked him.. Sounding a lot like Babin did during his Philly tenure

28. orandegadsen says: Feb 13, 2016 9:58 PM

Him and his trainer are true professionals,no one will touch this guy. Undrafted for a reason.

29. donterrelli says: Feb 13, 2016 10:03 PM

Well, when you’re an open Atheist, there’s not much hope for anything.

retire now.

30. dynastyposeiden says: Feb 13, 2016 10:16 PM

truthfactory says:
    Feb 13, 2016 7:42 PM

cool yer right bro now go to vegas and root for the casinos to win……..if you want to take the billionaires side you may as well.

31. 6thsense10 says: Feb 13, 2016 10:44 PM

truthfactory says:
    Feb 13, 2016 7:42 PM

______________
    All that just to come around and agree that teams do rip up contracts. Is it in the contract that teams can walk away from a contract at virtually any point? Yes. But I fail to see how that is not ripping up a contract. If you have a five year contract with someone and they walk away after year 2 that person has ripped up the contract. Whether or not the contract allows for early termination when you don’t honor the entirity of the contract you’ve ripped it up. It no longer exists and the remaining years were never fulfilled.

32. Pftsliberalagenda says: Feb 13, 2016 11:17 PM

Unmmmm your all wrong. Idiots, all of you. Now, back to more politically charged articles that push our agenda!

33. sdchicken says: Feb 13, 2016 11:19 PM

Great points from a reflective person. He will do great in life with whatever he chooses to do. It’s refreshing to hear his point of view, coming from a place of truth versus trying to maintain some fake PR image.

34. sdchicken says: Feb 13, 2016 11:23 PM

The usual interview of an NFL player is canned phrases, fake PR, or video games and clubbing. I thinks it nice to hear a real honest point of view.

Comments are so predictable…religious zealots, couple trolls, and the guy who sides with the owners on contracts.

35. dreadpirate88 says: Feb 13, 2016 11:41 PM

kcflake says:
    Feb 13, 2016 8:45 PM
    Hard for me to have respect for an atheist

——————————————-

So you won’t respect someone who chooses not to live his life according to some Bronze Age superstitions and fairy tales? Says more about you than it does about Foster.

36. ilovefoolsball says: Feb 14, 2016 12:22 AM

I got a joke for you. So an atheist former-vegan who gets hurt a lot walks into a bar…

37. bronco6745 says: Feb 14, 2016 12:56 AM

It’d be cool to see him platooning with cj anderson wearing the orange and blue…

38. staffordsyear says: Feb 14, 2016 12:59 AM

Dude, you’re a 10th rounder at best in a fantasy draft, bye.

39. sopadegato says: Feb 14, 2016 1:15 AM

Foster may be injury prone, yet he’s still better than the legion of chuckleheads the Texans are trying to foist off as RBs now. Alfred Blue? Really?

And any Texans fan talking crap how other teams take old and/or injury prone players has no room to talk. Ed Reed and Vince Wilfork ring a bell? Because those are our last two “big” FA signings.

40. jbfazz1213 says: Feb 14, 2016 1:42 AM

Praying For You 🙏🏻

41. cmoney20 says: Feb 14, 2016 6:36 AM

I call him Ariana Foster

42. TheDPR says: Feb 14, 2016 8:13 AM

Foster is one of the more cerebral and articulate players in the league. It’s no wonder many fans dislike him. He’ll get work if he prices himself reasonably with an incentive-based contract.

43. somuchintheworld says: Feb 14, 2016 8:47 AM

Texans will release him, then he’ll go play for an super bowl winning team. Just like, Jacoby Jones, Keyshawn Martin, Owen Daniels, Kubiak, Wade Phillips, etc….

44. touchdownelvis says: Feb 14, 2016 8:52 AM

It’s amazing how salty some people get when you don’t believe in their invisible sky fairies.

45. alonestartexan says: Feb 14, 2016 10:32 AM

Foster is a Texan in name only. When he decided to become a vegan he fell apart and became injury prone.

He was a disgrace at Tennessee and is hated by many there.

I doubt too many people really care about his opinion on anything.

46. nicofthenorthstar says: Feb 14, 2016 10:37 AM

Foster is a well spoken, thoughtful young man. Apparently a lot of us football fans don’t like that. A lot of dumb comments here.

You don’t respect/feel there’s room in your world for people who don’t share your beliefs/superstitions? Fascinating. You believe that having vastly more money than their fellow citizens entitles billionaires to treat people as well or as poorly as is convenient? Cool.
    They’d love you over there in any number of middle eastern or African countries.

47. raiderrob21 says: Feb 14, 2016 10:50 AM

He sounds like he should just retire. That is not the kind of talk you want to hear from your starting RB or your next in line. 1 foot out the door talk. Buyer beware

48. dwhcic says: Feb 14, 2016 11:42 AM

Big Foster fan, he’s an interesting guy that seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Don’t agree with everything, but he’s well spoken.

49. kylexitron says: Feb 14, 2016 12:02 PM

lol @ people using “atheist” as an insult.

Because it’s a real sick burn to say, “lol you don’t believe in magical virgin births and a risen zombie messiah and winged supernatural guardians of cloud city and of course manipulative intelligent snakes performing transmogrifying rituals on bones to create women all of this based on absolutely zero proof just some stories created by primitive humans trying to get people to not die and to pay their taxes.”

It’s 2016. Religion is dying and it’s about time. Hopefully some day we can stop killing eachother based in with little golden book we choose to live our lives by.

50. TheWizard says: Feb 14, 2016 12:46 PM

And atheists believe a million coincidences all happened, coincidentally, in proper order to create life. And you think you’re the sensible one.

As for Foster, does this sound like a guy chomping at the bit to tear it up on the field? Buyer beware.

51. gonzagylot00 says: Feb 14, 2016 1:34 PM

Last 4 years stats of Arian Foster (rushing only):

2015: 63 attempts, 163 yards, avg. 2.6 ypc, 1 TD
    2014: 260 attempts, 1246 yards, avg. 4.8 ypc, 8 TD
    2013: 121 attempts, 542 yards, avg 4.5 ypc, 1 TD
    2012: 351 attempts, 1421 yards, avg. 4.1 ypc, 15 TD

I don’t know, I could see him having another good year… Or not. Once you start falling over that precipice, it’s a steep fall, just look at Shuan Alexander.

I’ve always liked Foster (atheist or not) and hope he manages to get paid one more time. Maybe New England, maybe Colts, maybe Panthers….

52. papatoad says: Feb 14, 2016 2:00 PM

Sounds a bit disgruntled. Be wary in signing this guy as his talent might not outweigh his attitude!

53. fanofpft says: Feb 14, 2016 6:00 PM

lol @ people using “atheist” as an insult.

Agreed, reading these comments as such reflects much. I would Foster that the atheist community as a whole is more open than those throwing shade over it in this place and time.