Daily News suggests redacted portion of Manning document will be released

Zz01MDk0NTYxZmE0MWU3OTNkYjlkZDE5YTI5YjhlN2Q2NQ== AP

Perhaps the most significant portion of the 74-page document released Saturday by the New York Daily News regarding a 13-year-old lawsuit over a 20-year-old allegation against Peyton Manning is that details regarding a 22-year-old allegation against Manning were omitted from the document.

The lawyers for Jamie Naughright explained in the document that information about the 1994 incident was being filed “under seal,” so that only the judge could see it. Now, Shaun King of the Daily News hints via Twitter that information regarding the 1994 incident could soon emerge.

“I believe we will be able to release the redacted portion of the court documents as well,” King writes via Twitter. “I’ve discovered what that was about. Deep & ugly.”

It’s unclear whether the information omitted from the document was ever the subject of a court order, or whether any other court orders will be violated if the information is released. King has declined an invitation to appear on Monday’s PFT Live; he says on Twitter that he will decline all invitations “until the victim opts to come forward.”

It’s unknown whether Jamie Naughright, the alleged victim whose claims were settled out of court, will come forward. If she does, there’s a chance that plenty of new allegations and details will emerge.

For now, Manning has said nothing about the case, even as ESPN and the Associated Press finally have decided to mention the document published by the Daily News, linking it to the fact that the Manning incident from 1996 is citied in a new lawsuit filed last week against the University of Tennessee by six other women.

As the first slow weekend for the NFL since July comes to a conclusion, it’s safe to say that there will be plenty of discussion about this matter on Monday. Bob Kravitz of WTHR in Indianapolis will join PFT Live at 7:35 a.m. ET, and the offer to King stands.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
51 Responses to “Daily News suggests redacted portion of Manning document will be released”
  1. patriottony says: Feb 14, 2016 11:45 PM

But we won’t get these details,,,nor those of the “HGH” shipments as PAPPA JOHN,,PAPPA MANNING and the NFL pays off…the victim,,because “GOMER” is the face of the NFL. They rigged the season and the SB to give him his royal sendoff..

2. stairwayto7 says: Feb 14, 2016 11:50 PM

This guy has so many people and media covering and making excuses for him since 97! Now that he is retiring they want to bring it out now? Ban him from the HOF!

3. whodey83 says: Feb 14, 2016 11:51 PM

What the heck is going on exactly? Why is this just now coming to light? This is from 1994!!! Get a friggin life.

4. mark0226 says: Feb 14, 2016 11:55 PM

Why is she suing Tenn now? Did she run out of money from the first settlement, so now she needs to double dip to another deep pocket?

5. aljack88 says: Feb 14, 2016 11:56 PM

What’s that saying about a woman scorned?

6. patriottony says: Feb 15, 2016 12:01 AM

If you heard the “DETAILS” that are starting to leak out about what he did specifically to this Female Athletic Person..people will be outraged..

7. jambalayahimalaya says: Feb 15, 2016 12:01 AM

I think the incident detailed in the redacted section involves PEDs. Naughright probably discovered Manning was using (or was planning to use) PEDs and confronted him. This is the only one thing that the Mannings considered more dangerous to his career (and legacy) than the sexual assault complaint.

8. npgman says: Feb 15, 2016 12:02 AM

HATERS!!! Ride off in the sunset, Payton. Ignore the BS boy…U and JE are the best ever!!!! Thank you from Bronco Nation.

ORANGE CRUSH ’15

9. followme2boston says: Feb 15, 2016 12:03 AM

I think “Lawsuit Season” and “Criminal Investigation” officially become part of the NFL calendar. It is the same thing every offseason.

10. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 15, 2016 12:07 AM

I guess Old Payments could fall back on the Cam Newton excuse – “I was just a kid then…”.

11. sackdance says: Feb 15, 2016 12:10 AM

As an 18 year old I teabagged many girls. I know many of you “online” dickwads have never seen a woman undressed, so you prefer to get angry at Peyton’s actions as a teenager, but guess what… He’s still THE consummate professional and he’s still an all time great. Sorry y’all never got any. Quit hatin

12. patriotsticketssince1978 says: Feb 15, 2016 12:31 AM

mark0226 says:
    Feb 14, 2016 11:55 PM
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    There are 6 new women suing UT. Naughright can’t sue the University again on the same grounds. They already settled her suit in ’96. Manning had to settle with her on two additional occasions due to two separate violations of their confidentiality agreement. I’m not sure why so many people think it is her suing them but I have read it over and over in several forums.

13. nfl1818 says: Feb 15, 2016 12:59 AM

Can people read ?

OTHER women are suing UT. They are citing this case in their arguments.

Reading between the lines, the Manning brown shirts pulled out the UT playbook when attacking the HGH news.

I dont hate Manning. I hate the media – they are mostly arbitrary, capricious, self-important jerks – they destroy some, make heroes of others and count the clicks

14. damnsureis says: Feb 15, 2016 12:59 AM

The only sensible option for Goodell will to ban the Patriots from the postseason.

15. tattooit says: Feb 15, 2016 1:10 AM

Don’t be so rapey and chicks won’t sue you.

16. stuckonwords says: Feb 15, 2016 1:51 AM

Tennessee is in up to its necks over sexual assaults they apparently…well, allegedly…deliberately overlooked and swept under the rug for many years. I’m only guessing here, but it seems like the implication is that that lawsuit has dredged up this story of Manning’s as sort of a “see how long this has gone on?” sort of thing. If I was a lawyer in that lawsuit I know I’d look for as many other stories/situations as I could to strengthen my case.

This seems to provide insite as to why this story has suddenly resurfaced.

17. stuckonwords says: Feb 15, 2016 1:53 AM

Wow. Umm…”insight”. My bad. Bad habits creeping in. :/

18. stuckonwords says: Feb 15, 2016 2:05 AM

mark0226 says:
    Feb 14, 2016 11:55 PM

@mark0225 It’s not known if she’s one of the women involved in currently suing Tennessee (six unnamed women are filing), but there is definitely a lot more going on here than an issue of hers.

Here is a decent summary of what’s going on:

…six unnamed women in the lawsuit…accuse the university and its top administrative and athletics officials of fostering a dangerous student culture that both enables sexual assaults by athletes then steers those athletes to choose an unusual on-campus discipline process that is biased against victims who step forward.

The lawsuit singles out UT’s student discipline process as “a deliberate rule and policy decision by UT to allow perpetrators of sexual assaults, particularly varsity football and basketball players, to delay and altogether avoid sanctions and discipline for sexual assaults.”

If you’d like to read the article I pulled that from, it’s:

Campus discipline at heart of University of Tennessee lawsuit

19. daveshingle says: Feb 15, 2016 2:08 AM

Would have been even better if this came out Super Bowl week.

20. bigjeter says: Feb 15, 2016 2:26 AM

What di he supposedly do?

21. sonhoodoo says: Feb 15, 2016 4:03 AM

mark0226 says:
    Feb 14, 2016 11:55 PM

————

She isn’t suing. 6 former students are. The article above does not even say she is suing.
    You are actually posting on the Internet and don’t even look up the lawsuit? Why do you have opposable thumbs?

22. whywerule says: Feb 15, 2016 5:05 AM

mark0226 says:
    Feb 14, 2016 11:55 PM

How do you know the woman that Peyton Manning assaulted is suing University of Tennessee again? The plaintiffs in the new suit are not named, and I doubt the woman that Manning assaulted is one of those plaintiffs. I expect that the initial settlement prevents her from suing again unless the University or Manning breach that settlement.

Manning actually did breach the first settlement, which is why he was sued again, and again settled out of court to, one assumes, remain out of jail. I expect that neither Manning or the University have breached the settlement again, and that the six unnamed plaintiffs in the current Title IX suit are other woman that were assaulted by athletes while associated with the University.

23. Rolo Tomassi says: Feb 15, 2016 5:31 AM

Let not forget about the HGH shipments.
    Let’s not forget about all of the records you broke

24. kitz626 says: Feb 15, 2016 5:35 AM

He obviously cheated cause of his monstrous numbers this season!

25. jimnaizeeum says: Feb 15, 2016 5:46 AM

This is just a stupid kid prank…Want to go back and dig into something, how about finding out what actually happened with the murder Ray Lewis was involved in.

26. greenlargo says: Feb 15, 2016 5:52 AM

There has been too many surreal moments with ‘facts’ in news stories vs what finally turns out to be true. Last year the ‘facts’ in the news stories had me wanting to see Tom Brady stripped of everything and run out of the league. Then the court transcripts came out where I found out that I had been reading nonsense and Brady was innocent. Anyhow, fool me once shame on you but fool me twice…. So as bad as what I hear in the media might sound I want to see court transcripts. the media is too easily manipulated by those with agendas (NFL and others too) If Manning did these things I will be wanting to see him pay dearly. But no way am I trusting the media to tell me what’s real.

27. footballfan58 says: Feb 15, 2016 5:57 AM

Hate to say it, but is Maaning going to be the “Bill Cosby” of sports?

And to the previous poster that said he’s teabagged many women: step back and take a look at yourself. I bet you’re the type of guy who brags and is proud of himself over those accomplishments. Believe me, decent people are not impressed. But then, you’re probably too stupid to realize you make an a$$ of yourself.

28. joetoronto says: Feb 15, 2016 7:24 AM

PHGHton Manning is not what you thought he was, kiddies.

29. eagleswin says: Feb 15, 2016 7:30 AM

Does this mean that under the new “background check” rules for the incoming draft class would’ve made Manning ineligible if they were in effect back then?

One thing i find is that athletes frequently, if they get established, are able to kick the can down the road until after they retired.

At the end of the day, if the HGH is proven and if the sexual misconduct is proven, Peyton kicked the charges far enough down the road that it doesn’t matter.

The League takes the Superbowl away from the Broncos or put asterix in front of Mannings records? Not a chance.

When the league found the entire Carolina Panthers had used steroids throughout the 2003 superbowl run, they didn’t do anything about it. It was 3 years later and half the linemen had retired but there were no asterisk for them playing in the superbowl, etc.

Starcaps …. I could go on.

30. psljax says: Feb 15, 2016 7:32 AM

Let’s just let this story die until all of the facts come out. Too many media folks are make too many assumptions on the facts that have not been released. I’ll wait until I see them before making judgements.

On a separate point. Having Bob Kravitz talk about it is uselss. He is a Indy Homer who only knows how to blame others. Once the facts come out….try having an objective journalist provide insight, not someone of Kravitz’s ilk.

31. margoadams says: Feb 15, 2016 7:38 AM

Shaun King should look into how the NFL assigned two Referees one to the AFC Championship Game and one to the Super Bowl who were a combined 14-0 when refereeing Denver games. Not to mention a replay assistant who was a known Denver fan.
    Manning, Elway, Shanahan, Bowlen et al have had integrity issues all along and the media has looked the other way. Now the NFL has integrity issues.

32. concretejimmy52 says: Feb 15, 2016 7:54 AM

I just read Shaun King’s version. What a disgraceful piece of scum sports hack. He was a lousy QB and even lousier sports writer. He was throwing dirt all over Manning while calling Brady a Saint. I mean, REALLY? I never liked Brady or Manning any way. And I can believe that Manning is no Saint. Money does wonders. But why bring this up so much later even though I heard rumors years ago. Does Manning get suspended? Ray Rice has to be rolling his eyes right now. Tired of hearing worthless Patsie fans crying about Brady. He never served a suspension any way.

33. concretejimmy52 says: Feb 15, 2016 8:05 AM

Here NFL. Here’s a washcloth. Go wipe your face. It’s filthy dirty. Especially Goodell.

34. cinzano08 says: Feb 15, 2016 8:37 AM

For those of you that say it’s an old story, so wasn’t cosby’s. Are you also claiming Cosby’s case is too old?

35. jgedgar70 says: Feb 15, 2016 8:44 AM

One of these big networks ought to devote an entire department to investigate every FBS school, and compile all the allegations of sexual misconduct of their football players that got swept under the rug. I would not be surprised if all 128 of them have at least 1 case. Football is the cash cow of all of these universities, and the suits in charge will do anything to keep the money rolling in, even if it means destroying the lives of other students.

36. buckethead1 says: Feb 15, 2016 8:53 AM

…did he ever steal a box of crab legs?

37. rgorr44 says: Feb 15, 2016 9:01 AM

Aww shucks, Peyton isn’t so squeaky clean after all.

38. switchwitch59 says: Feb 15, 2016 9:14 AM

Of course the misogynists are here to rally to Pay-a-ton’s defense. For those calling this “a kid’s prank”, let me advise you that in the United States you are considered an adult at the age of 18. That means you are no longer a kid.
    Can’t wait to hear the details of the 1994 incident.

39. hawkinssandy0112 says: Feb 15, 2016 9:19 AM

I totally agree with footballfan58. As more details come to light, the public may truly see what a dirtbag this guy has been through the years. I choose to never support Papa John’s or Nationwide and hope he retires.

40. sports923 says: Feb 15, 2016 9:41 AM

If the article is proven to be valid …. equally damping for the University of Tennessee is that fact that they had a black man picked out to take the fall …

41. madhattter416 says: Feb 15, 2016 9:47 AM

Manning has had many indiscretions while being a pro athlete as well. The Indianapolis news has always covered for him. While they are not of the sexual assault nature as his Tennessee day they still are a disgusting display of who he is.

He is a pig, who help up a team plane to have some fun with some Falcon cheerleaders, to having a long affair with a meteorologist while a Colt.

It has also been reported that his wife never gave birth or was never pregnant at any time with his children.

While these other indiscretions do not effect his on the field work it does paint that clean image of his in a much different light.

42. cinzano08 says: Feb 15, 2016 9:56 AM

Daddy, she’s mean and swears, Archie, we’ll get her fired, but daddy she hangs around with black guys in their dorm rooms, Archie we’ll call her promiscuous and vulgar, daddy, my fullback won’t back up my story, Archie, we’ll pay her off. Twice.

43. gints1017 says: Feb 15, 2016 10:04 AM

He’s still a better person and quarterback than Tom Brady.

44. fishman518 says: Feb 15, 2016 10:13 AM

This is just a stupid kid prank
    —————————
    If your daughter is doing her job and someone does this to her, would you say the same thing?

45. vikingforlife says: Feb 15, 2016 10:37 AM

slander.

46. fishman518 says: Feb 15, 2016 10:50 AM

greenlargo says:
    Feb 15, 2016 5:52 AM
    ——————————
    The difference is that there are court transcripts, testimony and settlements in court providing the facts and not twitter.

47. cinzano08 says: Feb 15, 2016 11:00 AM

Things I trust more than the manning family:
    A rattlesnake with a pet me sign
    An elevator ride with ray rice
    Ray Lewis showing me his knife collection
    Taking pills offered by Bill cosby

48. ragejet says: Feb 15, 2016 11:29 AM

It’s old news, they dealt with it then and tried to sweep it under the radar rug. Well now it’s out for all to see… Outside of helping me win a few fantasy football titles I don’t care for Peyton Manning too much, but…

-He was basically a kid when it went down
    -It was settled I’m sure the victim got paid out
    -He did something childish and stupid…
    -Its worth noting but it’s history!
    -If he he tea bagged a dude that would be a story that needs some splaining, Lucy!!!

Haunted by the tea bag incident… Just imagine the hgh thing missed you win a super bowl and then someone lets a demon fly out of your closet. He deserves the embarrassment but you still got to feel a bit for him… And I’m a Pat’s fan too…

49. mcboston says: Feb 15, 2016 12:39 PM

The colleges and the NFL are complicit in the numerous cover ups. The NFL has a much higher percentage of rapists, wife beaters, and murderers than the general population-this is not a coincidence! The NFL makes billions of dollars off of these low life’s so will do anything to keep the cash cow giving milk. The NFL is a business but it is finally becoming known how much they are helping to hide the truth. No amount of pink ribbons can hide the fact that the NFL does not and has not ever cared about women. If ANYONE in the general public was accused of tea bagging a female Doctor or Sports Trainer-they would be promptly arrested and charged. Of course if you are a star athlete in UT or some other big sports college-it will be just labelled a “college prank” gone wrong. Shameful that Manning came into the NFL and stayed in it for so long with a halo around his head. Now I wish he would go away like Jared from Subway!

50. stull60060 says: Feb 15, 2016 1:30 PM

Hey Greenlargo. The media are usually the ones doing the manipulating. Maybe they can’t stand his goody two shoes profile or his Christian values.
    Unless you just arrived from another galaxy you would know that the media LIES ON A REGULAR BASIS.

51. Folkwolf101 says: Feb 15, 2016 4:11 PM

Usually where there’s smoke, there’s fire. Perhaps there is some fire behind these allegations. However, I think it best we hold back the venom and consider the sources. The reporter Sean King is an activist with a lot of baggage, which includes false claims, manipulation of witnesses, and unsubstantiated charges.