Perhaps the most significant portion of the 74-page document released Saturday by the New York Daily News regarding a 13-year-old lawsuit over a 20-year-old allegation against Peyton Manning is that details regarding a 22-year-old allegation against Manning were omitted from the document.
The lawyers for Jamie Naughright explained in the document that information about the 1994 incident was being filed “under seal,” so that only the judge could see it. Now, Shaun King of the Daily News hints via Twitter that information regarding the 1994 incident could soon emerge.
“I believe we will be able to release the redacted portion of the court documents as well,” King writes via Twitter. “I’ve discovered what that was about. Deep & ugly.”
It’s unclear whether the information omitted from the document was ever the subject of a court order, or whether any other court orders will be violated if the information is released. King has declined an invitation to appear on Monday’s PFT Live; he says on Twitter that he will decline all invitations “until the victim opts to come forward.”
It’s unknown whether Jamie Naughright, the alleged victim whose claims were settled out of court, will come forward. If she does, there’s a chance that plenty of new allegations and details will emerge.
For now, Manning has said nothing about the case, even as ESPN and the Associated Press finally have decided to mention the document published by the Daily News, linking it to the fact that the Manning incident from 1996 is citied in a new lawsuit filed last week against the University of Tennessee by six other women.
As the first slow weekend for the NFL since July comes to a conclusion, it’s safe to say that there will be plenty of discussion about this matter on Monday. Bob Kravitz of WTHR in Indianapolis will join PFT Live at 7:35 a.m. ET, and the offer to King stands.