Owen Daniels: Retirement “an option,” but plan is to keep playing

during Super Bowl 50 at Levi's Stadium on February 7, 2016 in Santa Clara, California. Getty Images

Tight end Owen Daniels caught a pass for 18 yards from Peyton Manning on the first play of Super Bowl 50, helping the team to a field goal and a lead they wouldn’t relinquish on the way to victory.

It’s the first time Daniels won a Super Bowl ring and comes at the end of a year that saw him deal with trouble in both of his knees. Those troubles and the overall accumulation of 10 seasons in the NFL are enough to make Daniels consider the possibility that he’s reached the end of the line, although he hopes that there’s more football left to play.

“Of course, of course. That’s definitely an option,” Daniels said, via Lindsay Jones of USA Today. “But I’m a man of my word, I signed a three-year deal, so I’d like to keep playing. I feel good enough as long as I can get some work done on my 33-year-old knees.”

Daniels had 46 catches for 517 yards and three touchdowns in the regular season and added two more touchdowns in the AFC title game victory over the Patriots. He’s set to make $3.5 million in 2016.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Owen Daniels: Retirement “an option,” but plan is to keep playing”
  1. spartan01 says: Feb 14, 2016 9:21 AM

He’s only 33? For some reason I thought he was older. Yeah, he’s got a couple more years left.

2. greenbaychicksarefat says: Feb 14, 2016 9:40 AM

Average TE at best who benefited by playing in the Denver offense led by average QB Manning. Owens would be lucky to be a back up TE on other teams.

3. wallabear says: Feb 14, 2016 10:04 AM

Owen Who?

4. artworkworld says: Feb 14, 2016 10:52 AM

He has been a solid player who didn’t get a lot of attention for his entire career. I always saw him as a poor man’s Jason Witten & I mean that as a compliment.

5. irishmug says: Feb 14, 2016 11:29 AM

Along with Joe Thomas and JJ Watt I would say these are 3 good players that make a Badger fan proud !!!

6. tjg342011 says: Feb 14, 2016 12:02 PM

Wow listen to all the haters . Calling him Average must be sore looser pats fans who are still made he put up 2 TD’s on them and was wide open for a 3rd TD in the first half of the AFC Championship game if grama manning would have seen him lol. Ya the guys not been a super star but he’s been very good over the yrs and o ya he’s a SB50 champ so keep talkin

7. 2since96 says: Feb 14, 2016 12:05 PM

Cant believe hes that young, feel like hes been around gorever…no denying his talent. He gets brought in to be a veteran option, and outplays the younger tight ends…happened in bmore, happened in denver. Respect

8. britishraven says: Feb 14, 2016 12:22 PM