Harrison: I’ll play if my body is up to it

james-harrison2 Getty Images

James Harrison told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Wednesday that he wants to play another season and will know after six weeks of training if his body will allow it.

“I want to get back out there and get to at least six weeks of training and, by the end of that six weeks, feel good, not have any aches and pains,” Harrison said. “You’ll have the normal soreness, but not having aches and pains and be able to have movements will be the key.

“If I get to that point and I’m feeling good, there’s probably a good chance – no, not probably – I will play.”

Earlier this week, both Harrison’s agent and Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert indicated that Harrison is in the team’s plans. Harrison, a five-time Pro Bowler, will be 38 in May and is scheduled to make $1.5 million in 2016.

Harrison’s training and treatment process was made sort of legendary by Hard Knocks in 2013, when he was with the Bengals. It takes a lot of work to play 14 NFL seasons, and Harrison often shares workout videos on his own social media accounts.

Harrison said he wants a “guarantee” after six weeks of training from his body that he’s ready to endure another season.

“I’m going to start the process of making sure that I can get back to where I need to be so I’m able to give 100 percent,” he said. “If I’m not able to get back to that point, I’ll do what’s necessary to be fair to my team and myself.”

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Harrison: I’ll play if my body is up to it”
  1. maxtng says: Feb 17, 2016 6:16 PM

Translation, I will play if I can somehow pass my p.e.d. test.

2. ampatsisahypocrite says: Feb 17, 2016 6:23 PM

Having Harrison back to mentor the young LBs and still add some good pass rush will be key in watching the Ravens get Flacco’ed out of the playoffs and the Bengals find their rightful position in second place. He’ll lead the charge as a fully healthy Steelers team (this time with Bell and Brown) plow past Denver and New England to notch that magical mystical seventh Lombardi.

3. DrinkingTheDeliciousTearsOfTheHaters says: Feb 17, 2016 6:25 PM

Translation, I’ll sign with anyone who will give me a signing bonus and then quit.

4. herpeburp says: Feb 17, 2016 6:26 PM

It’s not

5. tindeaux says: Feb 17, 2016 7:03 PM

no more talking tough??? what happened?

6. pwellz says: Feb 17, 2016 7:04 PM

As long as he’s seeing Dr. Guyer still I’m sure he will.

7. cinzano08 says: Feb 17, 2016 7:34 PM

First call to make, Peyton are you there?

8. headwoundharry says: Feb 17, 2016 7:43 PM

Man, how broke is this dude?

9. edelmanfanclub says: Feb 17, 2016 7:43 PM

Harrison hated Goodell before hating Goodell was cool. He’s a boss in my book.

10. jason9696 says: Feb 17, 2016 8:00 PM

James Harrison must really love playing football if he’s going to play for only 1.5 million dollars.

11. charliebarley72 says: Feb 17, 2016 8:21 PM

Must be boring for him now that he can’t spear guys anymore.

12. captainwhodat says: Feb 17, 2016 8:22 PM

whether you like him or not: warrior

13. tootitan says: Feb 17, 2016 9:03 PM

I think we all feel better when we have movements James.

14. mysterytonite says: Feb 17, 2016 9:13 PM

He will be ok as long as he keeps up with his hgh er……acupuncture.

15. cardiovascularendurance says: Feb 17, 2016 9:20 PM

His Instagram post on Valentine’s Day is classic. It’s in the “shares his workouts” link in this post.

16. browns2014man says: Feb 17, 2016 9:29 PM

Just hit the juice, as usual, James. #1 cheap-shot artist in the history of the NFL. Please go away.

17. hrdcorbengalsfan says: Feb 17, 2016 9:35 PM

ampatsisahypocrite

Rightful place? Lol. Like this year?

18. sbhntr says: Feb 17, 2016 9:36 PM

Oops. Thought you meant Rodney.

19. thetooloftools says: Feb 17, 2016 9:58 PM

Maybe your body isn’t into it, but you’ll always be in Cincinnati’s head. That move you made was HISTORY making. You were the bait and they got hooked and your Steelers just reeled em’ in. AMAZING. You had NO RIGHT on be on the field legally and you changed the game.
    Your an old school NASCAR guy in cleats.
    (if there were no rules, your not breaking them).
    wink WINK.
    Best hose down EVER !
    And in a playoff game !!!!!!!
    Drop Mic James.
    Get out with your health.
    Because your already insane.
    Much LOVE !
    You put the BANG in DA bang bang bang and killed a Bengal that was ready to feed.
    I still can’t believe how you just hooked em’.
    Hahahahaahaahaaaaaaaa

20. joedirte says: Feb 17, 2016 10:19 PM

My mind’s telling nooooooooooo
    But my body, my body
    Is telling me yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

21. ashhole420 says: Feb 17, 2016 10:20 PM

His Love of football and his passion for playing defense is unmatched! He is a true Gridiron Gladiator,

Really wish Washington DC Redskins had a hardcore vet that doesnt care about money to play for vet min to teach the new gen how its done in the weight and training room as well as the film room and on the field.

22. orandegadsen says: Feb 17, 2016 11:45 PM

Made a nice career for himself after going undrafted. That being said he was a mediocre player that got all juiced up and have a great 3-4year stretch. But the NFL turns there head to a very obvious HGH epidemic in there league so I do not blame him at all.

23. jagsfanugh says: Feb 18, 2016 12:43 AM

One last payday? Or love of the game…you decide.

24. thesteelhurtin says: Feb 18, 2016 2:25 AM

In his prime I would put Harrison up against any OLB in history. When guys like Mathews and Suggs were geting 15 sacks with like 60 combined tackles Harrison was getting the same sack numbers only his solo tackles were in the 70s and his combined were in the high 90s and even 100s. His ability to strip the football was uncanny as well. He won’t get in because it took him so long to get his start but in my book he is a HOFer. To me to be a HOFer you have to have dominated the league in your prime and Deebo did just that. He was clearly the best player at his posistion for multiple years in a row.

25. TebowedOutOfThePostSeasonAndNeverToReturn says: Feb 18, 2016 6:53 AM

Since returning to the Steelers: Ravens 4, Steelers 1
    Keep him! LOL

26. nhpats says: Feb 18, 2016 8:27 AM

Why all the hate for Harrison? If he were on your team you would proclaim him a stud. I am no Steelers fan but recognize that they are a talented and consistently successful organization. Could it be that you haters are simply fans of inferior teams?

27. Spazz says: Feb 18, 2016 9:01 AM

thetooloftools says:
    Feb 17, 2016 9:58 PM
    Your an old school NASCAR guy in cleats.
    (if there were no rules, your not breaking them).
    wink WINK.
    Best hose down EVER !
    And in a playoff game !!!!!!!
    Drop Mic James.
    Get out with your health.
    Because your already insane.
    Much LOVE !
    I still can’t believe how you just hooked em’.
    Hahahahaahaahaaaaaaaa
    *******************
    Are you thinking of Joey Porter?

28. steelcurtainn says: Feb 18, 2016 9:33 AM

I still laugh every time I think the ravens let him go. The Steelers pick him up. He then goes on to become a legend in pittsburgh and makes the great defensive play in SB history. Thx Ratbirdslol. Hopefully, Harrisons body allows him to stick it out another year.

29. sbchampsagain says: Feb 18, 2016 11:48 AM

The Ravens are 8-2 in the past 10 games against the Steelers. They don’t miss Harrison.

30. steelcurtainn says: Feb 18, 2016 12:12 PM

They don’t miss Harrison.
    ______________________
    Your probably right, they don’t miss him now but I bet they missed him in between 2005-2010 while the steelers were stockpiling sb trophies.

31. williamshatnerstoupee says: Feb 18, 2016 12:14 PM

Is today a school holiday?

32. exiledinphilly says: Feb 18, 2016 1:05 PM

Harrison isn’t the player he was but he was a key contributor in the LB rotation last year, on a team that was third in the NFL in sacks. Plus he trains and prepares as hard as any player in the league. At $1.5 million he is a bargain for the Steelers– if only in showing the other young LBs how to be professionals.