Jared Allen’s more traditional retirement statement

Jared Allen AP

Veteran defensive end Jared Allen announced his retirement with a video in which he rides off into the sunset. Through his agent, Ken Harris, Allen has issue a more traditional retirement announcement.

“I want to take this time to thank my family, friends fans, and teammates who have given their continued support throughout my 12-year career,” Allen said. “It’s been a great ride for me, and I couldn’t be more grateful for the memories. It is with a great deal of thought and consideration that I have decided that I will not return to football next year. I want to thank the Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, and the Kansas City Chiefs organizations, who provided me with an opportunity to live out my dream and to be a part of their wonderful communities. Thanks for the life long memories.”

And that’s that. Unless Allen chooses to do interviews. And we hope he does. Especially since we’re jockeying for some time with him right now.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Jared Allen’s more traditional retirement statement”
  1. floratiotime says: Feb 18, 2016 11:07 AM

He went out pretty classy, which is surprising.

2. guitarfreak21 says: Feb 18, 2016 11:21 AM

Jared is purple through and through, come home for a day to let us celebrate your career with you!

3. guitarfreak21 says: Feb 18, 2016 11:21 AM

4. sbchampsagain says: Feb 18, 2016 11:36 AM

Like that guy. Classy statement too.

5. zerotrophiessince1961 says: Feb 18, 2016 11:36 AM

Jared IS purple through and through. Which is another way of stating that he never won anything of consequence as a professional.

6. highdimension2015 says: Feb 18, 2016 11:37 AM

No surprise whatsoever for any observer who looks for the good in folks.

7. joetoronto says: Feb 18, 2016 11:49 AM

Great move by the Chiefs letting him go.

8. jimbo75025 says: Feb 18, 2016 11:49 AM

Guy put his drinking problems behind him and was on of the premier pass rushers around for quite a few years.

Still think his best chance to win it all was the 09 season when Chili being unable to count to 11 screwed the Vikes.

9. hotboogerfart says: Feb 18, 2016 11:59 AM

Business in the front, party in the back.

10. Kelly's Chronicles says: Feb 18, 2016 12:12 PM

Sorry you didn’t get your ring. You deserved one. Your battles with the Packers were epic. Enjoy your retirement.

– Packer fan

11. hawks52 says: Feb 18, 2016 12:19 PM

Respected foe of my Bears, and then a teammate. Clearly was out of position as an OLB but I gave him much respect for being a good teammate and giving it a try. That alone was enough for Pace to move him to a contender – and I was hoping he (and Chico and Peanut and Greg Olsen) would have gotten their rings.

Was not to be but not for lack of effort on Allen’s part.

It was always sad to see my generation of players go out, and now I’m seeing my kids’s generation go out.

All the best to you, Jared!

(Yes – you ARE a Viking through and through, and wore that jersey as proudly as another Viking who passed through Chicago on his way to the HOF – Alan Page.)

12. osiris33 (bandwagon since 1976) says: Feb 18, 2016 12:34 PM

He didn’t care about rings, only money. That’s why he signed with the Bears when the Seahawks had a good offer on the table. Some guys get it, some don’t. He never did. Now he’ll be remembered in the same breath as Aaron Kampman, Bryce Paup and Aaron Schobel.

13. fumblenuts says: Feb 18, 2016 12:39 PM

Would love to see him in broadcasting…..soon!

14. purpleguy says: Feb 18, 2016 1:13 PM

Other than the fact that he was a great player and fun to watch, I always liked that he didn’t care what people thought, didn’t really fit into any stereotype, and didn’t temper his media comments to sound like every other NFL drone.

15. Frazier28/7 says: Feb 18, 2016 1:25 PM

Watching Jared and the Williams Wall for 4 seasons together was a treat, best of luck Jared!

16. admiral174 says: Feb 18, 2016 2:32 PM

Too bad he had to waste his prime years with the Vikings!

17. vikingforlife says: Feb 18, 2016 2:56 PM

Always a VIKING!! SKOL Jared! I am sure we will welcome you back in the “Ring of Honor” one day soon! Just as great on the field as off! Best of luck to you and your family.

18. h0metownzero says: Feb 18, 2016 6:27 PM

I’m a little surprised he listed the Vikings 3rd on his list of favorite teams he played for.

19. kcnative says: Feb 18, 2016 9:59 PM

joetoronto says:
    Feb 18, 2016 11:49 AM
    Great move by the Chiefs letting him go.

Well they got brandon albert and jamaal charles with the draft picks they used, so I’d say it was good trade for KC…considering he didn’t want to play for them anymore due to King Carl.