Rick Spielman thinks Harrison Smith extension could happen soon

MINNEAPOLIS, MN - DECEMBER 27:  Harrison Smith #22 of the Minnesota Vikings runs in an interception for a touchdown in the second quarter against the New York Giants on December 27, 2015 at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Photo by Adam Bettcher/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Vikings exercised the 2016 option on safety Harrison Smith’s contract, so there’s no risk of losing him this offseason.

Given how well Smith has played since the Vikings selected him in the first round of the 2012 draft, it would seem like a bad idea to risk losing him next offseason either. General Manager Rick Spielman said Thursday that he feels good about the chances that the Vikings and Smith will agree to an extension that takes that possibility off the table.

“I would imagine he would be one of those guys coming down the pipe here pretty soon,” Spielman said, via the team’s website. “Harrison, with the way he runs our back end of the defense, I think he’s one of the better playmakers at safety. He can play free and strong, he’s effective on the deep end, and he’s just as effective when he gets walked up to the line.”

Assuming he signs a long-term deal this offseason, Eric Berry figures to move to the front of the list of best-paid safeties along with Earl Thomas and Devin McCourty. Smith’s extension probably would wind up in a similar neighborhood.

Spielman added that he’s had conversations with impending free agents linebacker Chad Greenway and cornerback Terence Newman about returning to the team in 2016. He also said that the team has talked about wide receiver Mike Wallace, who has an $11.5 million cap hit that’s out of proportion to his contributions in 2015. Spielman called Wallace “a tremendous leader,” although the price tag still looks a bit too high for what he brings to the table off the field.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Rick Spielman thinks Harrison Smith extension could happen soon”
  1. Wisconsin's Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says: Feb 18, 2016 5:11 PM

I wish my Packers had three players the Vikings would take from us for Smith. But we don’t. We’re that bad. And he’s that good.

2. ariani1985 says: Feb 18, 2016 5:14 PM

Our little sisters to the east are lucky they get to see a real safety twice a year!
    Harry is the best in the business!

#packerschoke

3. Wisconsin's Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says: Feb 18, 2016 5:25 PM

I hope MN doesn’t re-sign him. This is the guy that made Megatron retire early. Maybe Mike can have Jordy run the other way on every play.

4. fwippel says: Feb 18, 2016 5:33 PM

Could happen soon? How about “Better happen soon”?

Smith has earned an extension, and handling this now keeps him around for the long term. He’s easily the best safety this team has had at least since Joey Browner.

5. kvnhlstd says: Feb 18, 2016 5:54 PM

Funny talking about Smith being so dominate… I have a couple of videos that show him getting trucked by Lacy… but of course he’s the best… He’s a Viking….

6. f1restarter says: Feb 18, 2016 6:05 PM

It’s a Vikings story, and four of the first five posts make some reference to the Packers.

Viking fans really need to seek professional help. Their obsession with the legendary Green Bay Packers is both unhealthy and creepy.

7. tjacks7 says: Feb 18, 2016 6:26 PM

Only 1/3rd of comments are from the 2015 NFCN runner up Green Bay Packer fans. Usually it’s closer to 75% You guys really do disappear when the team is bad.

As for Smith, pay the man. Top 3 safety in the NFL, at worst.

8. cootermomma says: Feb 18, 2016 7:07 PM

This player deserves a big paycheck. Plays hard from start to finish. If one loves the game of football, whichever team you root for, no need for “BS” talk.
    That being said Spielman needs to make this happen and make “HIS Kalil” go away….11mil is to much for a roller coaster player.

9. golforepar says: Feb 18, 2016 8:20 PM

Can Harrison make 27 yard FGs?

10. Probowler Teddy Bridgewater says: Feb 18, 2016 8:28 PM

Spielman called Wallace “a tremendous leader,”

———–

Ha ha. This is like saying in Teddy we trust is objective about the Vikings. And this is coming from a huge Vikes fan.

11. whatjusthapped says: Feb 18, 2016 8:33 PM

Just think of Harrison’s value if he could effectively hold each time with the laces out? He could be elected Governor of the state, shank you very much.

But do we need PFT to tell us that Wallace’s $11.5 million cap hit is out of proportion to his contributions in 2015? That’s debatable anyway, because Viking fans are used to paying Berriman and Jennings with equally poor results so its almost like its a team tradition to carry large cap hits for poor WR play. But let me defend Wallace for one moment, he does tend to run patterns more than 5 yards downfield so that taxes poor Teddy’s arm.

12. vikingforlife says: Feb 18, 2016 8:38 PM

Harry the Hit man needs to get paid!!!

13. vikeden says: Feb 18, 2016 9:16 PM

Harrison Smith is 1 of our core players on Defense. Love the idea of signing him early. Big Kudos Speilman and Brzezinski. That’s the way we put our best foot forward. Nothing wrong with showing some appreciation to our players early. and remember Dont Eat the Cheese!

14. vikingf0rlife says: Feb 18, 2016 10:05 PM

Harrison Smith is pretty good, I’d rather have Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix though. I really wish we had a QB better then Bridgewater; the kid can’t make a big play to save his life let alone our championship-less Vikes. We still have the worst QB in the division and IT’S NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

15. shaggytoodle says: Feb 18, 2016 10:10 PM

tjacks7 says:
    Feb 18, 2016 6:26 PM
    _______________

Many people have better things to do than wait around for a Vikings or Packers storys to get posted and run to them immediately… some of the Viking fans must be extremely unproductive at school or work.

16. vikingguy55 says: Feb 18, 2016 11:14 PM

2012 Wk 4 Vikings @ Lions row #9 left side end zone in the center. Jared Allen is a really tall man! Megatron caught the ball in the end zone and Harrison Smith hit him so hard the he seperated megatron from the ball, to this day megatron thought he got hit with a piano from ten stories! It was amazing to see that as it happened, the speed of the game in real close up is just something special!

17. vikingforlife says: Feb 19, 2016 7:21 AM

I really don’t know who stole my handle, but I just saw it yesterday with the Jared Allen retirement announcement, NOT COOL! Everyone knows the real VIKINGFORLIFE loves TeddyB and Harry, so just stop it and you Packer Troll!

18. gtodriver says: Feb 19, 2016 8:41 AM

kvnhlstd says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your Packer highlight reel, I’m sure.

Remind me about those memorable 34 yards Lacy had in week 17 in Green Bay – when the Packers lost the NFC North title to the very team that Packer fans said would be eliminated from contention by the end of October…

I kinda liked the part where Harrision sacked Rodgers, myself.

19. vikingforlife says: Feb 19, 2016 9:46 AM

Oh, NOW I see how you did it you coward! Using a zero in “for”, so it comes up the same as mine. What a tool! You can’t fight your battles with your own words as a Packer or Bear fan or both? Whatever… WOW, I really must have gotten under your skin, huh?

20. whatjusthapped says: Feb 19, 2016 12:39 PM

vikingforlife says: WOW, I really must have gotten under your skin, huh?

From the looks of it, I’d say it was the other way around. If that’s disappointing to you, I’d say you should be used to it by now, being a Viking fan means a steady stream of disappointments.

21. filthymcnasty3 says: Feb 19, 2016 7:13 PM

When I think of Harrison Smith, I think of a guy in street clothes watching his more durable team mates compete in football games.

What a complete waste of hype.

22. fmc651 says: Feb 24, 2016 8:47 AM

A packer fan actually said he would rather have HaHa Clinton-Dix. Hahaha, did he learn how to cover a 2 point conversion yet?

23. vikingforlife says: Feb 24, 2016 10:06 AM

Anyone who knows the real “vikingforlife” knows how much I love my team, and while I am certainly not a fan of two of the teams in the NFCN, I try very hard not to insult the actual players. My final say on this particular article is this, PAY Harry. He is as underrated as they come in the NFL (and you know, that’s ok by us, that’s how we sneak up on all of you haters!) He is AWESOME and will be for years to come! Zim loves this guy, his teammates love him and the fans love him! And best of all-other teams are beginning to FEAR him!!!!