Skip to content

Ravens TE Nick Boyle suspended 10 games for PED violation

BALTIMORE, MD - NOVEMBER 1: Tight end Nick Boyle #82 of the Baltimore Ravens carries the ball in the first quarter of a game against the San Diego Chargers at M&T Bank Stadium on November 1, 2015 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Matt Hazlett/Getty Images) Getty Images

Dennis Pitta would like to return to the Ravens after missing all of last season recovering from a second hip dislocation and his chances might be helped by the fact that the team is going to be without one of the other tight ends on the roster for the first 10 games of the 2016 season.

The NFL announced Friday that Nick Boyle has been suspended for the first 10 games of the season for violating the league’s policy on performance enhancing drugs. Boyle, a 2015 fifth-round pick, served a four-game suspension during his rookie season for another violation of the policy.

Boyle played 11 games for the Ravens last season and caught 18 passes for 153 yards while playing with fellow University of Delaware product Joe Flacco. His primary role was as a blocker while playing alongside Maxx Williams and Crockett Gilmore at tight end last season.

Both of those players will return in 2016 and the Ravens will likely be looking for at least one more player at the position. Pitta doesn’t fit the blocking role that Boyle seemed destined to play, but any decisions about whether he’ll be part of the team won’t be on the table until there’s more clarity about his health.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Ravens TE Nick Boyle suspended 10 games for PED violation”
  1. wte1 says: Feb 19, 2016 3:16 PM

    His new nickname will be Bye Bye Boyle.

  2. thelongestgoodbye says: Feb 19, 2016 3:19 PM

    What an idiot, how do you get popped again while just serving a suspension for substance abuse?

    I hope Pitta comes back and they cut this guy.

  3. maninbrown says: Feb 19, 2016 3:21 PM

    Ten games? Seems a bit heavy handed of Commissioner Goodell

  4. ericbleedspurple says: Feb 19, 2016 3:22 PM

    Boyle showed plenty of promise last season and I was very disappointed in his four game suspension to end the season. Now be gets nailed again, this time with a ten game suspension. He’s starting out to be more trouble than he’s worth. It’ll be interesting to see how much rope Ozzie gives him. If he’s given another shot it’ll definitely be his last with Baltimore.

  5. kevo95 says: Feb 19, 2016 3:23 PM

    Imagine that

  6. nhpats says: Feb 19, 2016 3:27 PM

    10 games….wow. This guy must have been getting real HGH and not that fake crap from China that the Guyer Institute was sending to Manning’s wife…..

  7. patsbrat says: Feb 19, 2016 3:27 PM

    Gillmore has shown he has the talent to be a starter in this league.

  8. annapterp says: Feb 19, 2016 3:30 PM

    I don’t believe cutting him would save any salary cap dollars. But 10 games makes him useless for next season. Had a lot of potential, but probably no worth keeping around.

  9. haterade999 says: Feb 19, 2016 3:31 PM

    This could easily lead to being cut. Gilmore and Maxx are great players, with high upside. Pitta has a window for one last chance now.

  10. xinellum says: Feb 19, 2016 3:35 PM

    Very disappointing but the Ravens kept Asa Jackson when he failed PED tests twice, mostly because he was on a rookie minimum contract. Don’t know if the Ravens will be as lenient but getting twice after only playing 11 games doesn’t bode well for a long term NFL career. Check him for brain damage as a result of concussions because he obviously is running a few cylinders short and he only has about 2 or 3.

  11. 34defense2014 says: Feb 19, 2016 3:42 PM

    I do not understand stand it, I really don’t??!!! Why peeps get upset and or angry when an NFL player gets popped for PED’s? Anyone with 1/2 a brain knows that 90% of all NFL players have used and or are using PED’s… I’d also say the 95% use HGH. The use of HGH solely in itself? Us not a PED, it simply speeds up the healing process from an injury. Many Doctors prescribe HGH to promote healing… And at least 75% NFL players use Marijuana for pain management. The other 25% of players use alcohol and to synthetic Opioids for pain management! If you think other wise? You have to be a complete and utter moron!

  12. hlna55 says: Feb 19, 2016 3:42 PM

    You’d think after all the stones that the rat bird fans have thrown over the fence at the steelers fans over the same issue that this might MIGHT be considered just a little ironic. Hahahha

  13. whiteybulgersson says: Feb 19, 2016 3:48 PM

    Baltimore Pedvens.

    Classless franchise. That whiner John Harbaugh and Bubba Gump Suggs.

    New England owns you.

  14. ravensrooster94 says: Feb 19, 2016 3:49 PM

    What a dope. Luckily, we’re fairly set at tight end with Gilmore and Williams.

  15. thebirdofprey says: Feb 19, 2016 3:51 PM

    Did you just say HGH is not a PED? I know guys – not professional athletes who use HGH and recovery time from workouts and increased lean muscle and freakish healing all sound like Performance Enhancing to me.

  16. davikes says: Feb 19, 2016 4:04 PM

    He’s not an idiot. He just knows he’s not good enough unless he’s getting some help. He did the math, and decided it was worth the risk.

    How many others out there doing the same thing, and not getting caught?

  17. agent7x6 says: Feb 19, 2016 4:07 PM

    34defense2014 says:
    Feb 19, 2016 3:42 PM
    I do not understand stand it, I really don’t??!!! Why peeps get upset and or angry when an NFL player gets popped for PED’s? Anyone with 1/2 a brain knows that 90% of all NFL players have used and or are using PED’s… I’d also say the 95% use HGH. The use of HGH solely in itself? Us not a PED, it simply speeds up the healing process from an injury. Many Doctors prescribe HGH to promote healing… And at least 75% NFL players use Marijuana for pain management. The other 25% of players use alcohol and to synthetic Opioids for pain management! If you think other wise? You have to be a complete and utter moron!
    ———————————————————————
    I agree that there is heavy use of the substances you mentioned (and others) in the NFL, but I presume that the percentages are quite a bit lower than you noted.

  18. 1969whitetrash says: Feb 19, 2016 4:20 PM

    Keep it classy, ratbirds!

  19. Moudabo says: Feb 19, 2016 4:42 PM

    This guy loves his juice, no doubt about that.
    Guy just got busted last year, and goes and does it again. Total dumbazz!

  20. mikemyditka says: Feb 19, 2016 5:57 PM

    Did he use Deer Antler Spray?

  21. mikemyditka says: Feb 19, 2016 6:03 PM

    Interesting how both the Steelers and the Ravens TEs made news today.

    No need to point out which organization makes out better in comparison.

  22. Ferdinand says: Feb 19, 2016 6:31 PM

    Between the League and the Players Association it is damned near impossible to get caught using PEDs and you get caught multiple times? How dumb can someone be?

  23. leftypointspread says: Feb 19, 2016 6:56 PM

    Just cut this guy. Don’t count on Pitta being healthy either.

  24. wvravensfan83 says: Feb 19, 2016 7:19 PM

    Very disappointing…was very impressed with what I saw from him last year. They will prob keep him on since he doesn’t cost that much, but one more slip up& I don’t see Ozzie keeping him around.

  25. clashpoint says: Feb 19, 2016 7:50 PM

    It’s been a long time since a Steelers player has been caught using hgh or peds, but it seems to happen all the time with Bengals and Ravens doesn’t it?

    Go Steelers!

  26. horses721 says: Feb 19, 2016 8:02 PM

    A Raven busted for PED’s, say it ain’t so! Maybe Boyle should have sent a few guys to visit whoever gave him the urine test and then blame his wife for failing the test. It works for Peyton.

  27. leftypointspread says: Feb 19, 2016 8:12 PM

    Whitey Bulgerson considering your screen name is that of a drug dealer are you really upset over PED’s?

  28. bebopa says: Feb 19, 2016 9:15 PM

    As a Ravens fan this is not good news , because this guy is talented , not an All Pro, but a good player. But looks like he cant be counted on. They need a third string TE in the draft or free agency. His loss is by no means the end of the world.

  29. TebowedOutOfThePostSeasonAndNeverToReturn says: Feb 20, 2016 8:57 AM

    Something fishy here. No doubt Rooney’s henchmen fed him something. At least he’ll be back to finish off the Steelers down the stretch. Doubt he’ll get a chance to destroy them during our home playoff games because the Steelers, at best, will be sent out to Denver to get their annual whooping. LOL.

  30. corvusrex96 says: Feb 20, 2016 10:33 AM

    Instead of “random” testing 5% of the league how about ALL players are randomly tested ALL year long. There wouldn’t be enough players left to have a pick up game

  31. youknowiknowitall says: Feb 20, 2016 7:51 PM

    … and before too long they’ll be sculpting a statue of Boyle in Baltimore for right along side the Lewis statue

  32. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 22, 2016 9:13 AM

    Wasn’t expecting to read this. I would have bet good many there’s no way any Ravens player had their performance enhanced last year. What do you get when you’re not taking enhancers – 4th place?

  33. sbchampsagain says: Feb 22, 2016 1:53 PM

    Gillmour and Crockett are the good TEs. Both have had field days against the Steelers secondary.
    Boyle was a nice depth player. Doubt Ravens keep him around if he’s going to be such a hassle.

  34. triggerdawg says: Feb 23, 2016 12:22 PM

    Steelers may be going to Denver to get their annual whipping Tebow freak,but at least they are not at home watching the playoffs like your freaking Ravens.Carry on

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!