At a time when the Chargers were believed to be focused on trying to build a new stadium at Mission Valley, the team has issued a statement that makes clear that the preference is to build a downtown venue.
“Our goal is to win voter approval in November 2016 for a downtown multi-use stadium/convention center facility and to facilitate the best possible community uses for the existing Mission Valley site,” the team said in a statement released Tuesday. “We will deliver regular reports to our fans and to the community about the progress we are making.”
Local politicians apparently had been touting Mission Valley. The Chargers respectfully disagree, explaining that “[a]ll of our research demonstrates that voters are more likely to approve a multi-use facility that would generate economic activity on hundreds of days per year, including by attracting major sporting and convention events that San Diego cannot now host.”
“We believe that a downtown multi-use facility will attract broad support from throughout our entire community,” the team said. “And we hope that, as our downtown proposal is developed and as the campaign for passage begins, those who have supported the Mission Valley site will keep an open mind and consider supporting what we believe is the best way to secure a permanent home for the Chargers in San Diego.”
Whatever the location, it won’t be easy to sell the voters on approving public money for a new stadium. But if the new stadium can serve the public in ways beyond hosting 10 NFL games per year, maybe the chances of getting it done will be enhanced.