Mike Mayock thinks Carson Wentz compares to Andrew Luck

MOBILE, AL - JANUARY 30: North team's quarterback Carson Wentz #11 with North Dakota State looks to throw a pass during their game against the South Team on January 30, 2016 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images) Getty Images

With the NFL world settling into Indianapolis for this week’s Scouting Combine, the fascination will turn first and foremost to the quarterbacks.

And the guy who breaks them down for the NFL’s own network seems to have a clear preference.

During his annual conference call with reporters Tuesday, Mike Mayock raved about North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz, comparing him favorably to Colts quarterback and former No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck.

“When I look at him, I see a kid that’s as athletic or more athletic than Andrew Luck,” Mayock said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “He’s bigger than Andrew Luck. He’s got arm strength comparable to Andrew Luck. He just doesn’t have the experience that Andrew Luck had at a high level that Andrew had coming out of college. So I see a ceiling for this kid similar to Andrew Luck. That’s why I believe in this kid so much. But it’s going to take a little bit of time.”

Mayock has ranked Wentz first among this year’s quarterbacks, ahead of Cal’s Jared Goff.

(Of course, he also preferred Blaine Gabbert to Cam Newton in 2011, so take it for what it’s worth.)

Wentz has captured the early draft buzz in part because he played in the Senior Bowl and Goff didn’t, and partly because as a non-Division I player, there’s a certain Joe Flacco quality that makes many want to bestow elite qualities upon him.

“The way I look at Wentz, the first tape I put in, I went ‘Wow,”’ Mayock said. “I didn’t even know who he was. He was just a quarterback on my list. No clue. And I watched I think Northern Iowa and I watched this big kid sling the ball around a lot and on top of it, was athletic enough that they planned quarterback runs for him.

“So you do some homework and you find out he’s 6-5, 235. And I put the second tape in hoping it would be as good as the first — and it was better. So you start doing homework on the kid and yeah, he’s only got 23 starts but he’s 20-3 as a starter at a great program in Division I-AA, [with] five consecutive national championships.”

Mayock also hailed Wentz’s “character,” giving him the “smart, tough, loves the game” stamp of approval, while suggesting that Goff may be closer to being ready to play immediately (though that might be a subliminal function of his playing at a more established program).

As the week progresses and Goff gets a turn in the spotlight, there will doubtless be plenty of people lining up to say nice things about him as well. But at the moment, Wentz is the poster boy for the coming draft.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Mike Mayock thinks Carson Wentz compares to Andrew Luck”
  1. kamthechancellor says: Feb 23, 2016 5:54 PM

You mean overhyped and overrated?

2. floratiotime says: Feb 23, 2016 5:54 PM

And a Ford compares to a Porsche.

3. intelligent cement says: Feb 23, 2016 5:54 PM

Mike ‘This is a special player’ Mayock?

no, thank you.

4. 12444uggg says: Feb 23, 2016 5:57 PM

I don’t mind Mayock, but seriously? If he’s years away, he doesn’t compare to Luck.

5. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 23, 2016 5:59 PM

Most scouts preferred Gabbert to Newton in 2011, and we will fully appreciate the reasons why in the upcoming seasons.

6. staffordsyear says: Feb 23, 2016 6:03 PM

These “experts” are about as smart as your common armchair fans. That being said I’m hoping the kid from North Dakota does well.

7. key2heat says: Feb 23, 2016 6:03 PM

To bad his career will be RUINED in Cleveland.

8. charliecharger says: Feb 23, 2016 6:04 PM

Mayock also liked RG3, but then so did a lot of NFL scouts and GMs. Funny how most of them are hard to find nowadays. Oh if paper shredders could only talk. But this Wentz kid could be alright. He does kind of resemble Luck.

9. babygaga19 says: Feb 23, 2016 6:05 PM

If Mayock thinks this, it must be true!

10. amaf21 says: Feb 23, 2016 6:07 PM

A broken clock is right twice a day.

11. suggahbuggah says: Feb 23, 2016 6:07 PM

Mayock is good with the D/secondary..take it with a grain of salt on the Offensive side.

12. firerogergoodell says: Feb 23, 2016 6:12 PM

Mike Mayock compares to a crazy person.

13. uglydingo says: Feb 23, 2016 6:15 PM

Do these Draft analysts who appear on TV get paid by the players’ agents to publicly make these extremely favorable comparisons?

14. icallbs81 says: Feb 23, 2016 6:16 PM

Goff compares to Tim Couch!

15. kwjsb says: Feb 23, 2016 6:17 PM

If I were to compare him it would be Big Ben……

Size and strength wise…. all the others are unknowns until he plays against NFL players…..

16. starfan79 says: Feb 23, 2016 6:18 PM

Goff fumbled a lot… Like 23 times or something. Word is he has small hands.

17. granadafan says: Feb 23, 2016 6:19 PM

Yes yes yes. Fully agree! Cleveland, you need to take Wentz over Goff. Please don’t draft Goff! Take Wentz instead! Don’t ruin Goff’s career.

18. gbfanforever says: Feb 23, 2016 6:24 PM

Where the hell is this guy getting “tape” of anything?

19. pfatalbert says: Feb 23, 2016 6:24 PM

I am surprised he didn’t say he compares to Carson Palmer. I mean they’re both named “Carson”, come on!

20. raydahhs75 says: Feb 23, 2016 6:25 PM

No offense to Carson Wentz, but his game is not 7-8 months away from NFL ready, nor 18 months. I hope for him he actually goes to a team that can work him in slowly, more a la Aaron Rodgers, as his top end potential is great. That top end is 2-3 likely years away, if he continues to show the passion he did through his college career.
    The surest bet to me in this draft is Goff, and even he would likely need a learning year. I believe the college tape between Goff and Derek Carr is eerily similar.

21. kylexitron says: Feb 23, 2016 6:25 PM

So Wentz will throw a lot of picks and fold under pressure?

This is like the opposite of the time these guys compared Manziel to Russell Wilson.

22. suhmonster90 says: Feb 23, 2016 6:29 PM

One thing I must admit about Mayock, I can’t read his quotes without hearing his voice in my head. So unique, I don’t know if I’m annoyed or entertained.

23. damcmp says: Feb 23, 2016 6:33 PM

and I prefer Prisco to Gantt…..

24. mrwalterisgod says: Feb 23, 2016 6:38 PM

So, he’ll throw a ton of picks, beat a bunch of bad teams, and when he loses it will be everyone else’s fault around him, but not his?

25. gonakgod says: Feb 23, 2016 6:39 PM

that bad huh?

26. spiffybiff says: Feb 23, 2016 6:40 PM

I have a good eye for this type of thing and I think he looks really good. My only concern like all college dynasty qbs is can he thrive when the talent is equal on both sides

27. nouhoh64 says: Feb 23, 2016 7:02 PM

I think the bald eagle is a great quarterback..or it used to be…..um..duh.

28. qdog112 says: Feb 23, 2016 7:02 PM

OK Mayock, you and the football world praised Luck and so far he’s been good, not great, throws a lot of INTs, fumbles and has ZERO Super Bowls.

Every year, there’s a QB that shoots up the charts, based on the assessments of Mayock & other experts. That said, Wentz’s ceiling could be that of Luck, but to date, Luck has been overrated and over-hyped.

Gabbert over Cam? Right, in what universe? I don’t know who’s worse Mayock or Jaws, at increasing a guy’s worth day by day. They go from “might make a team” to HOF, in about two weeks.

29. tonyzendejas says: Feb 23, 2016 7:15 PM

How’s that? Is he unable to avoid losing to the Pats by fewer than 3 TDs?

30. tennesseeoilers says: Feb 23, 2016 7:19 PM

Cue Titans GM tweeting a link to this report.

31. haslamdrinkshisownpee says: Feb 23, 2016 7:29 PM

Sparkling endorsement for the future QB I’m forced to root for #sadsundaysincleveland

32. mackcarrington says: Feb 23, 2016 7:31 PM

We won’t really know how good he is until the scouts see his 40 time and his vertical jump.

33. gints1017 says: Feb 23, 2016 7:36 PM

Only way to get people to care about mock drafts in February

34. Big Ant TV says: Feb 23, 2016 7:51 PM

PLEASE
    MY CLEVELAND BROWNS
    yess i we want our own big statue yet mobile QB like rapist ben and big joe-flacco
    but umm he never played any top 10-20 college defenses every 20-3 is good but c’mon
    mayock please
    id rather take paxton lynch at 2 at least he played in nfl style defenses via memphis in there part of the country
    but if we have too take wentz
    hue better all over this kids mentally too get him ready for the constant blitzs steelers,ravens and bengals and pats will send his way not too mention the seahawks,cards,giants and other will send too test him
    HUE JACKSON IF U GET THIS RIGHT U WILL START YA NEW GIG OFF RIGHT IF U SCREW UP YA GONE IN 2 YEARS maybe less

35. billbrasky72 says: Feb 23, 2016 8:02 PM

I’m an NDSU alum. I watched every one of his games. I don’t know if he is quite as “pro ready” as Andrew Luck, but the first time I saw him play, I immediately thought of Andrew Luck. His football IQ is off the charts, he is about the same size and about as athletic as Luck. He can make every throw. He is extremely clutch.

People knock him because of his FCS school, but I don’t think most people realize exactly how dominant NDSU is. They’ve won 5 straight national titles which has never been done before in the history of NCAA football at ANY level. In the last championship game, they beat the #1 seeded Jacksonville State. While that might not sound impressive, Jacksonville lost only one game all season…to Auburn…in OT…in a game they should’ve won. Not only did NDSU beat Jacksonville, they thoroughly embarrassed them. It literally looked like men playing against boys. One of the announcers, a former Texas Longhorn, said Texas wouldn’t stand a chance against NDSU. Deadspin went so far as to say that NDSU could beat Alabama. While I think that is going a little too far, I would be willing to bet Wentz and NDSU would easily beat the vast majority of FBS programs out there.

36. officialgame says: Feb 23, 2016 8:03 PM

He loved Johnny Angel too, enough said.

37. billbrasky72 says: Feb 23, 2016 8:07 PM

Oh, and NDSU is 5-0 against the FBS in their last 5 meetings.

38. scoocha says: Feb 23, 2016 8:09 PM

Wentz played nobody in college and had trouble whipling in the smaller ball. He will be terrible and it would be hilarious if he was drafted by Cleveland.

39. Pftsliberalagenda says: Feb 23, 2016 8:11 PM

Can we get an English translation for the comment above?

40. kayakattack says: Feb 23, 2016 8:15 PM

I still prefer Blaine Gabbert to cam newton, at least the guy isn’t a prick lol

41. intrafinesse says: Feb 23, 2016 8:17 PM

Andrew Luck has been good but not excellent. He chucks the ball and makes some dumb decisions at times. I’d still take him, but he needs to improve to be considered very good.

As for Wenz, I hope he’s over drafted, not by my team, and we’ll see who’s right.

42. spartyistheclassofthenationinfootballandbasketball says: Feb 23, 2016 8:30 PM

Any team that takes him over Goff or Connor Cook will be sorry. And to the pftsliberalagenda guy if you’re a conservative and you really believe that PFT has a liberal agenda then why don’t you go get your football news elsewhere?

43. cribbage12 says: Feb 23, 2016 8:36 PM

And Mayock looks like George Clooney.

44. quicktaker says: Feb 23, 2016 8:43 PM

He does have some Flacco similarities: stands tall, effortless throwing motion, ball explodes out of his hand.

45. guachosporlife says: Feb 23, 2016 8:53 PM

So he’s an overrated turnover machine?

46. wtfru2 says: Feb 23, 2016 9:06 PM

Yup, and he thought RG3 would be the best in the entire NFL after 2 years!

47. fight4yourmind says: Feb 23, 2016 9:07 PM

It’s North Dakota state, does this kid have any smarts? Or just athletic? Luck is a Stanford grad, scored high on the wonderlic and is highly intelligent. High football IQ and was talked about a couple years before he went pro. Wentz, first time I have heard of him. Mayock’s credibility is losing ground quickly. Luck is in a league of his own. If that dumbass gm could put a line in front of him we would see just how special he is.

48. coltzfan166 says: Feb 23, 2016 9:40 PM

If this guy is so great, then why did we just start hearing his name like a month ago? Whatever happened to Christian Hackenberg, who analysts said would be the top QB at one point?

49. bigtimebrownie says: Feb 23, 2016 9:49 PM

I understand it’s Mayock’s job to be an expert and stay in the headlines…but I don’t think the Missouri Valley Conference is the PAC 12…and as we Browns fans know, Derek Anderson and Brandon Weedon have “can’t miss arms”. Hope I’m wrong, hope the kid from the small school lights it up…but we can’t afford to miss yet again at number 2

50. tonebones says: Feb 23, 2016 9:57 PM

spartyistheclassofthenationinfootballandbasketball says:
    Feb 23, 2016 8:30 PM

——————————–
    Cook just happened to be on a good team. Michigan State beat Ohio State without Cook. Cardale Jones and Hackenberg were better Big Ten QBs than Cook.

51. rcali says: Feb 23, 2016 10:20 PM

Hmm, why not compare him to Cam Newton?

52. Teddy BH20's House of Noodles says: Feb 23, 2016 10:47 PM

The Vikings would be smart to give up their entire draft for this kid.

53. hrmlss says: Feb 23, 2016 11:06 PM

Frequently injured and has a Amish Beard?

54. rubbler33 says: Feb 23, 2016 11:07 PM

Look, I live in Fargo. I’ve been here for 20 years. I moved here from MN; I am a Gophers fan (really). That said, I have watched every minute of Wentz’ career (I’m a Gophers fan, but five championships suck one in).

I have watched more Wentz film than Mayock. I may not be more equipped to grade Wentz than Mayock, but I did play four years of college football (across the river in Moorhead, MN), and I consider myself a student of the game. That said, nobody pays me for my opinion, so take it for what it’s worth.

Carson Wentz will be an average but serviceable NFL QB. He has the physical tools- he is likely already in the top 10 in the NFL at throwing an out route (but don’t ask about where he ranks in the 9 route)

.He has the head for the game (he’s a clean-as-a-whistle 4.0 student and a staunch Christian). He’ll be the first guy in and last guy out. You could drop him in the middle of Las Vegas with $10 million of your money and he would walk out with $11 million without gambling. His character is top notch.

Here’s the rub:

1. While his arm is at the top end of elite, his release isn’t. In traffic he takes a bit of extra time to unload the ball. At NDSU this often lead to a scramble throw or run. While he is good at both, this will lead to additional injuries (I.e the wrist this year) in the NFL.

2. He doesn’t process reads quickly enough. He only had 23 starts at NDSU, but he is a 5th year senior. Too often, he hesitated in his progression. While this could be construed as a positive, it often lead to a decision that will not transfer to the NFL.

3. He trusts the sideline out route too much. Watch the Senior Bowl, it mirors his NDSU career- Carson loves the out. It’s his signature. NFL defenses will take the sideline out away.

4. For all the arm strength, Carson does not throw the 9 route well. Look at the tape. It’s not good. He was bailed out on a number of occasions this year by once-in-a-career catches by his WR’s.

All of this may sound like a diatribe against Carson Wentz, but it’s far from it. He will be a serviceable starter in the NFL (think a notch below Matt Ryan), but he is not Andrew Luck.

55. jmethane says: Feb 24, 2016 2:01 AM

Ok that’s fine, but if I’m an NFL team I’m really more interested in who is the next Russell Wilson.

Andrew luck is still a work in progress starting year five. Lots of areas to improve in for him.

Meanwhile Russell has been to back to back superbowls winning one, and has just this year taken over total leadership of a championship football team full of stars. He is the leader and they all trust him. Marshawn dissappeared and Russell stepped up to a level rarely seen before this year.

Yeah, I’d much rather have the next Russell Wilson than the next Andrew Luck thank you.

56. sportsfan18 says: Feb 24, 2016 3:55 AM

Hey Carson, this is Jimmy Haslam and Coach Hue on the line. Wanna be a Brown? What can Brown do for you?

Carson to the H men… (Haslam and Hue). Uh, geez guys… I’ve been hearing from some other dudes bout da Browns…

Jimmy. Really? Like who?

Carson, well, they keep calling me and calling me daily. Here’s my list of those who call me…

Tim Couch
    Brandon Weeden
    Thad Lewis
    Jason Campbell
    Brian Hoyer
    Josh McGown
    Austin Davis

Jimmy to Carson. Uh, you forgot Johnny Football.

Carson to Jimmy. No I didn’t. The homeless dude told me not to take his calls…

Jimmy to Carson. Well, what have these fine gentlemen been telling you?

They’ve told me that flipping burgers at Mickey D’s is better than what the Browns may do for me…

Click…

57. Rolo Tomassi says: Feb 24, 2016 6:38 AM

Luck is overrated and hyped. Same with Aron Rogers

58. awdlmd says: Feb 24, 2016 8:35 AM

Didn’t he say the same about Bortles?

59. bernieknowsfootball says: Feb 24, 2016 8:37 AM

Now I know for sure that if Mayock likes him then Goff is the man !!!

60. realdealsteel says: Feb 24, 2016 9:04 AM

Mayock needs to just stop.

61. jgedgar70 says: Feb 24, 2016 9:07 AM

“Mike Mayock thinks Carson Wentz compares to Andrew Luck”

So Wentz will grow a Duck Dynasty beard and lead his team to “conference championship game participant” banners?

And haters – how many Super Bowls has Gabbert been in?

Cam Newton > Everyone

62. texansfan82 says: Feb 24, 2016 9:08 AM

I think there needs to be a distinction made between how a guy is graded as a prospect and how he ultimately turns out as a pro. Because people seem to think that there is some magic formula for determining how a player is going to turn out, when it’s really out of their hands. A number of factors can affect how someone’s career goes, including the type of organization that they are ultimately drafted in. If they are put in a position to develop and grow in a system that fits their traits, you can see a guy who develops and flourishes. If they are put somewhere that is a bad fit, they can struggle and not succeed.

Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers….. I think if any of them went first overall in their respective drafts they would not have had the types of careers they ultimately did.

63. PegulaBucks says: Feb 24, 2016 9:09 AM

Wentz threw 17 Tds last year…17 vs schools that wouldn’t be able to hang with High School teams from Texas…

64. psousa1 says: Feb 24, 2016 9:10 AM

Nobody gets more excited watching guys run, throw and catch in tee shirts and shorts.

Like Belichick was saying the drills they go through are pretty worthless. I imagine the player interviews are probably the most important thing about the combines.

65. wallabear says: Feb 24, 2016 9:43 AM

Happens every year, the foolish idolatry of college QBs who look-the-part, but who just don’t measure up when looking at the stats (e.g., Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder et al.): all 1st Rounders who turned out to be flounders, literally. Stop The Madness, Mayock! The only QB who shows “potential” is Brandon Doughty: if you can throw down 48/49 TDs to 9/10 INTs over a consecutive two-year period (with 3 TDs versus a sturdy LSU team), then that near-5:1 TD/INT ratio has to be noteworthy, placing you well above the rest, regardless of school/conference.

66. pasipblog says: Feb 24, 2016 9:50 AM

This Wentz thing does not pass the smell test. Wentz sat out 9 games last year and the rookie, Easton Stick went 9-0. The QBR was 150

Wentz was 5-2 in the games that he played. Lost regular games to Montana and South Dakota. His QBR was 153. North Dakota in the play offs showed that they had a superior defense.

Wentz might do well in the NFL but the hype is overdone. I do not think that he is as good as Goff.

67. travishenrykid says: Feb 24, 2016 9:53 AM

Great athlete. Big. Slings it around at a small school. Good character kid from a Christian family. The comp two months before the draft is Kaepernick.

68. trollaikman8 says: Feb 24, 2016 10:15 AM

You 14yr old fantasy guru’s forget how Luck had a cracked rib and played behind a pretty porous OL. He was asked to carry the team.

So he had one bad year with serious injuries & a joke of a coaching staff …. he tried to play through and hurt the team. If you think he’s not a franchise QB then you’re lying to yourself.

69. TheBrownsareClowns says: Feb 24, 2016 11:14 AM

Yeah since when does 16-29 for 197 1 TD and 2 INTS vs Jacksonville St translate into franchise/elite NFL QB? Mayock must be on some major medication