No, Jameis Winston wasn’t accused of rape because he’s famous

Jameis Winston AP

The rape accusation made against Jameis Winston in December of 2012 hasn’t done much to harm his football career: After that accusation was made, he won a Heisman Trophy, quarterbacked Florida State to a national championship, became the first overall pick in the draft, and got to the Pro Bowl as a rookie with the Buccaneers.

But while Winston was not criminally charged, the rape case isn’t behind him: He’s still facing a civil lawsuit from Erica Kinsman, who accused him of rape when both were Florida State students. And when Winston was asked about the sexual assault accusation and the spotlight on him off the field in an interview with TheMMQB.com, his answer suggested that the accusation was a result of being famous, and being a target.

“In college, I was up under this microscope everywhere I went,” Winston said. “I couldn’t go to class without somebody stalking me or asking me for something, an autograph or a picture. In the NFL, not only am I the face of a community, but people know my face. People are looking up to me basically as a springboard for the Tampa Bay community. Every time I go out and I have chance to make a difference or make someone smile, I try to do that to the best of my abilities. In college, I could try to do that, and no matter what, it would mean something, but everyone just wanted something from me. Give me that, Jameis, gimme, gimme, gimme. In the NFL, I can be myself, and everyone doesn’t have their hand out.”

Winston seems to be suggesting that he was accused of rape because he’s famous, and under a microscope as a famous athlete. Maybe even that Kinsman recognized him as a target because he would one day make a lot of money playing football. But there’s a major problem with that suggestion: It’s demonstrably untrue.

When Kinsman first called the police and reported that she was raped, she didn’t even know who Winston was. At that point, Winston was a freshman who was redshirting and had never appeared in a game at Florida State. Kinsman told police that she was raped, but she wasn’t able to identify the rapist until a month later, when she was put into a class with Winston during the next semester and learned his name when an instructor called roll. She then immediately contacted the police and told them Winston’s name. DNA evidence later confirmed that Winston did, in fact, have some type of sexual contact with Kinsman.

Regardless of whether you believe Winston’s side of the story — that the sex was consensual — or Kinsman’s side of the story — that it was rape — it’s simply untrue that he was a famous athlete under a microscope when he was accused of rape. He wasn’t. He was a bench warmer whose accuser had never heard of him, and who hadn’t done anything on the field to suggest that he would one day be a multimillionaire superstar.

With a civil suit pending, Winston’s lawyer would probably urge him not to say anything at all about the case. Winston certainly shouldn’t claim he was targeted as a famous athlete. He wasn’t.

Permalink 89 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
89 Responses to “No, Jameis Winston wasn’t accused of rape because he’s famous”
  1. Patskrieg says: Feb 23, 2016 1:07 PM

Overall I’d say it was probably the raping that did him in.

2. chuckbergeydawk says: Feb 23, 2016 1:08 PM

Yeah okay

3. skittlesareyum says: Feb 23, 2016 1:09 PM

Cue everyone saying they are sick of hearing about this, as if that’s a valid reason to ignore a potential crime.

4. wallabear says: Feb 23, 2016 1:10 PM

But nonetheless shot at squirrels with a BB gun = blooming sociopath

5. kevpft says: Feb 23, 2016 1:12 PM

Your point is right in one sense, but it sounds like he’s talking more about the civil suit than the original encounter.

Also, note that King’s literal question isn’t stated in the piece, and what is stated is more general in nature.

So this PFT piece seems to be “correcting” something that wasn’t so much said as inferred.

6. bchap17 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:14 PM

We talking about the same girl who rode with him on the back of a scooter right after the alleged rape? The same girl who had multiple strands of DNA found in her underwear?

That the same girl?

7. silvernblacksabbath says: Feb 23, 2016 1:14 PM

Will enjoy watching him get smashed the next 10 years…🙂

8. williamjg says: Feb 23, 2016 1:14 PM

He did it.

9. floratiotime says: Feb 23, 2016 1:16 PM

If you read up on this … he sure looks guilty.

10. chargertab says: Feb 23, 2016 1:17 PM

They had sex. That much, we can say for sure.

The rest is open to interpretation and opinion, because the evidence isn’t clear enough to determine guilt or wrong-doing. Which is important to the law, not to the court of public opinion.

Whatever claim you’d like to make and whatever civil liabilities he may have to forfeit because civil court has a much lower reasonable doubt bar, none of it will make him a rapist. Won’t. Ever.

And we all know, he’ll settle out of court as quickly as he can so this public spectacle can be ended and everyone can move on.

So I suggest we focus on topics that have legs. This one is over.

11. jbfazz1213 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:17 PM

😳 Interesting Observation !!!

12. Frazier28/7 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:17 PM

Jameis Winston is famous?

13. patsxsaintsfan says: Feb 23, 2016 1:17 PM

I don’t even know what this story is about? Yes people want stuff from college athletes I would be suprised if it didn’t get worse in the pros when you actually make money.

14. cantfakethefunk says: Feb 23, 2016 1:19 PM

The NFL reeks right now. With Manning PED/sexual assault allegations and Winston claiming he was the victim. Simply disgusting. And of course Roger Goodell only adding muck to the sewer that is the NFL and not cleaning it up.

15. ronin262 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:20 PM

This guy is an assclown all the way and will never get it. Hold your heads up high for this glorious alumnus, FSU fans (the school for people who weren’t admitted to UF)

16. lingsun54 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:20 PM

If you live right it’s extremely unlikely you’ll ever be accused of rape. On the other hand, if you’re promiscuous all you need is one woman to regret having sex and you can be accused of rape.

17. ariani1985 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:27 PM

bust!!

18. scmems07 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:28 PM

“In college, I was up under this microscope everywhere I went,” Winston said. “I couldn’t go to class without somebody stalking me or asking me for something, an autograph or a picture.”

This statement right there should be enough to convict him for lying under oath….you know darn well he didn’t go to any class while in college!!!!

19. lapantherfan86 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:29 PM

Nope, that excuse was already used by Manning.

20. joedirte says: Feb 23, 2016 1:35 PM

Yet more people are on Peyton Mannings case for teabaggin someone from 20 years ago. But very few mention Jameis Winston from 2 years ago.

21. liftheavyorliftheavy says: Feb 23, 2016 1:35 PM

“He was a bench warmer whose accuser had never heard of him, and who hadn’t done anything on the field to suggest that he would one day be a multimillionaire superstar.”

I don’t care what side of the “debate” you’re on, this statement is 100% inaccurate. Winston had already shone brightly in spring games, was playing well on the baseball team and was known as “Famous Jameis”, either of which would be well known by a member of the “Cleatchasers.”

22. vancouversportsbro says: Feb 23, 2016 1:38 PM

I’m all for the blaming someone famous angle but if you heard what the victim has to say about the incident, I believe her 100 percent. And I feel bad for her.

23. username5891 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:38 PM

He edited the post because it showed some clear animosity: the edited version this: At that point, Winston was a freshman who was redshirting and had never appeared in a game at Florida State. Was 1st written calling him a benchwarmer.

But besides that I remember a EJ Manuel story on this site saying Jimbo said he would draft EJ in the 3rd round and told the NFL a scouts that his next QB (Jameis) would be a star and 1st round pick. Idk maybe some people in Tallahassee specifically clear chasers new also and maybe she shouldn’t have cheered for her “rapist” on Twitter when he made his debut against Pitt and Clemson.

24. kmgpop says: Feb 23, 2016 1:39 PM

Wasn’t this girl part of some informal club of female students who sought out athletes to “score”?
    There’s no way in hell, if you live in Tallahassee, FL or attend FSU, if not knowing who the hell this guy is.
    It was a drunken college hookup. Jameis gets a call from his hometown girlfriend saying she’s coming to town. Jameis told this girl to split. She basically got ticked that she got used and tossed aside.

25. mcjon22 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:40 PM

Here is a few points you left out that anyone can look up and verify;

She originally said her attacker was 5 ft 10 and appeared to be Spanish.

She had multiple men’s DNA on her underwear.

She was tweeting about how awesome Winston was during the Clemson game.

According to the investigation by the DA, she was part of a group known as ‘FSU cleat chasers’.

And before she went public her lawyer, who is also her aunt by the way, told FSU and Winstons lawyer that this could all go away…for 7 million dollars.

So, you really wanna assume his status as someone famous had nothing to do with this?

26. charlie4992 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:41 PM

Honestly I don’t feel bad for this girl at all and I don’t even believe her. As a young university student you have the ability to hang out with thousands of other students in this case I believe Florida state has a 40k plus student population and instead of hanging out with a guy at the library doing a project or something of that nature, you choose to go to a football players apartment at 2 in the morning? Common man.

27. tajuara says: Feb 23, 2016 1:45 PM

If I didn’t see this in my twitter feed someone must be covering all up.

-Stephen A. Smith

28. iamapatsfan says: Feb 23, 2016 1:46 PM

chargertab says:Feb 23, 2016 1:17 PM

They had sex. That much, we can say for sure.

So I suggest we focus on topics that have legs. This one is over.

—–

It’s not over, or we would have already heard about either the verdict or the settle. Until then, it’s definitely not over, regardless of your obviuosly well-informed ideas of what is and isn’t available as evidence.

I happen to also think it’ll end up being a settlement, since I also happen to agree that there isn’t enough evidence one way or the other, which means reasonable doubt. But until then, people can keep digging and maybe something new will turn up.

Don’t say ignore it when there’s still the chance that either someone actually got raped or the other person is dealing with some sort of money grab. That only helps the guilty.

29. ttommytom says: Feb 23, 2016 1:49 PM

I was a ‘famous’ baseball player on my campus and no one ever accused me of any wrongdoing.

Same goes for one million other student athletes in the past 135 years.

30. fatguystrangler says: Feb 23, 2016 1:53 PM

Where’s Shaun King’s expose piece on this?

31. tindeaux says: Feb 23, 2016 1:53 PM

rapists are going to rape!

32. duanethomas33 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:54 PM

What an incredible reach, I read the story earlier and in no way did I come to the conclusion he was talking about that case. WoW.

33. @Cereal_5 says: Feb 23, 2016 1:55 PM

He was also protected by Tallahassee & FSU campus police

34. ragnarthemagnificent says: Feb 23, 2016 1:58 PM

I guess he can hit a wide open target

35. ebdug says: Feb 23, 2016 2:04 PM

I’ve often said “If he ain’t in jail put him on the field”, and I still believe that. But seriously, this guy should be in jail.

36. yooperman says: Feb 23, 2016 2:10 PM

scmems07 says:
    Feb 23, 2016 1:28 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

His statement was true. The first class he went to, the professor asked the students to put their autograph on a sign in sheet Winston was so pissed, he NEVER went to any class after that.

37. arktikman says: Feb 23, 2016 2:16 PM

This story is about 16 years ahead of its time. That according to the Manning Inappropriateness Calendar.

38. luckyday55 says: Feb 23, 2016 2:24 PM

I’m sure that Shaun King will be writing an in-depth and unbiased article on this same topic in the near future.

39. mropinionguy says: Feb 23, 2016 2:29 PM

How do you know she didn’t recognize him? Because she says so? Hilarious. The PROVEN liar says something and that’s your basis for saying something is completely untrue? Way to give the mouth breathing masses more fuel to call the man a rapist despite the OVERWHELMING evidence that it’s a cash grab, sure lets just continue to smear his reputation for absolutely no reason. Heck you don’t even know that that’s what Winston was saying when he made that quote but you still roll out the PROVEN FALSE rape accusation once more, it’s people like you that encourage these women to falsely claim rape because they know the media can’t stop bringing it up!

40. oruacat2 says: Feb 23, 2016 2:38 PM

Yeah, those crab legs were just begging you to take them from that store without paying for them, weren’t they?

41. boomgrounder says: Feb 23, 2016 2:39 PM

I know 3 Freshman Females that were in the FSU Student Union and heard and saw Winston when he jumped up in a table and grabbed his crotch and yelled obscenities directed toward females. They had no idea who he was, they thought he was a mentally disabled individual.

42. cinzano08 says: Feb 23, 2016 2:39 PM

What’s up with these qbs from the south?

43. dtroxallday says: Feb 23, 2016 2:44 PM

“…making alot of money making football.”. I sure hope you can communicate better verbally than when you try to write words on paper. You’d have very little credibilty if you spoke like you write.

44. Rolo Tomassi says: Feb 23, 2016 2:45 PM

This article was paid for by Peyton Manning.

45. wfrench00 says: Feb 23, 2016 2:53 PM

All of this is just noise…

All I care about is this:
    He had one hell of a good year for TB as a QB. He was a damn good QB in 2015. The future looks very bright for this QB. I was happy with this QB as the leader of the team. I look forward to this QBs future in TB.

This I do KNOW:
    He will never be my buddy. He will never sit at my dinner table. Because to me he is just a QB of my favorite team.

My point:
    All the other stuff I could care less about, as it is all just noise.

You do you Mr. QB.

FIRE DEM CANNONS!

46. destructicus says: Feb 23, 2016 2:55 PM

She must be in it for that sweet sweet rape money. You know, that huge payday you get for having all your sexual history made public and scrutinized in court in front of your family while you relive this experience over and over at the will of the police and courts, and have difficulty dating again because from now on most men know you as a rape victim or wonder if you’ll accuse them of rape… you know… for the massive pay day and all the fame you get being a rape victim of a college star.

You know, just like whatshername who did the same thing and is now living large… damn it, what’s her name??? I should know this… she’s doing so well right now… Give me a sec…

47. drewzducks says: Feb 23, 2016 2:57 PM

Almost as guilty as Peyton.

48. kmossg says: Feb 23, 2016 2:59 PM

—————————
    Probably one of the best comments I have ever read on PFT. So true.

49. icebergsimpson says: Feb 23, 2016 3:01 PM

How many times had her story changed for those who actually read the court documents? I believe I counted 5 times.

50. stanklepoot says: Feb 23, 2016 3:02 PM

chargertab says:
    Feb 23, 2016 1:17 PM
    They had sex. That much, we can say for sure.

So I suggest we focus on topics that have legs. This one is over.
    ___________________________________
    You’re making a very clear and understandable mistake in your argument. You’re confusing truth with a legal finding of fact. If Winston raped her, then he raped her, whether or not a criminal court ever finds him guilty of the crime. On the other hand, no finding of liability in a civil suit will ever make him a CONVICTED rapist.

Let me be perfectly clear: I don’t know whether or not Winston raped the woman, and I don’t pretend to have any special information or understanding of what actually happened between Winston and his accuser. My point is simply that courts arrive at legal determinations, they don’t decide what the truth is. So, you’re right, no civil suit will ever make Winston a rapist, just as no criminal investigation will make him not a rapist. The sole determining factor as to whether or not Winston is a rapist is whether or not Winston actually raped someone.

51. cb2gbequalssb says: Feb 23, 2016 3:02 PM

He’s famous? Wouldnt quite go that far. lol

52. pkrlvr says: Feb 23, 2016 3:10 PM

What’s up with these qbs from the south?
    ——–
    Come live here and you’ll understand…..

53. professorpigskin46 says: Feb 23, 2016 3:13 PM

Famous Jameis

54. Mr. Wright 212 says: Feb 23, 2016 3:20 PM

Yes, he was. And falsely, at that.

55. bueller101 says: Feb 23, 2016 3:21 PM

Here is what targeted means…

The attorneys didn’t start sniffing it until it looked like he might be the Heisman winner and #1 overall pick the following year.

Now, Kinsman’s attorneys have collected $750,000 and the girl has collected $200,000. FSU’s attorneys have collected around $1-million.

Can you say attorney driven accusation?

56. purpleguy says: Feb 23, 2016 3:31 PM

Rape or no rape, based upon his history, there is one thing you can say with absolute certainty — the guy doesn’t treat women with respect.

57. superpatriotsfan says: Feb 23, 2016 3:40 PM

Wow look at all of the people downvoting anyone who tlaks about the facts. Rather than saying “Yeah he raped her” which then gets tons of upvotes. Sure shows you the state of society. A man is guilty of rape no matter what. We just have the take the “poor girl’s” side of the story regardless.

58. jgedgar70 says: Feb 23, 2016 3:45 PM

MDS, I think you have forgotten an important element in the college career of potential superstars. A lot of these guys – and pretty much every highly-rated QB entering a power 5 conference school – are famous long before they step on the college field. With these dog-and-pony shows that come with the players’ signings of their letters of intent, and the extensive coverage leading up to that day, it is entirely conceivable that a redshirt freshman who had no yet played a game could be quite well-known on campus.

I have no bloody idea whether the lady got raped or not. What I do know is to simply assume that a redshirt freshman who hasn’t played a game yet is automatically anonymous in this day and age is a bit naïve, don’t you think?

59. curmudgeon63 says: Feb 23, 2016 3:57 PM

Whatever happened in the past, only a few people really know. What matters most is what he does in the future. In year one in Tampa, forgetting his on-field performance, he demonstrated himself to be a good guy. Very generous, polite, passionate, with no incidents of any kind. He made good impressions on everyone.

Whatever happened with Kinsman, it was a mistake made by a young kid. He’s not a bad person, by any stretch.

60. doggeatdogg says: Feb 23, 2016 4:03 PM

“DNA evidence later confirmed that Winston did, in fact, have some type of sexual contact with Kinsman.” She also had other men’s DNA on her. Too bad we will never know the truth, only those two know what happened. The lawyers could care less what the truth is.

61. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Feb 23, 2016 4:04 PM

At least he wasn’t accused of being a serial killer like Hernandez.

62. mach2plus says: Feb 23, 2016 4:07 PM

Pro Bowl as a rookie. Yeah, right. What was he, the alternate warm body of last resort? What a joke.

63. barrywhererufrom says: Feb 23, 2016 4:09 PM

The police in Tallahassee should be indcted. This guy raped a woman and he got away with it. He will lose the Civil suit and not a word will be said about it.

64. sscampton says: Feb 23, 2016 4:13 PM

I struggle with this story, as there are a lot of problems with the case. On one hand, the police clearly made some egregious errors in their processing of the evidence.

That said, there are numerous problems with the accusers side of the story. Smith here highlights a couple of notes that can’t necessarily be considered fact, as they only exist to serve the accuser’s side but don’t necessarily line up with other facets. The notion that the accuser did not know who he was is an important one to dive deeper into.

The accuser herself claimed that she did not know who he was, yet there is evidence of her being part of a group who explicitly chased football players. These two pieces don’t fit.

Another important fact is that the state prosecutor chose not to pursue a criminal case. People unfamiliar with Florida law may not see this as a red flag to the accuser’s case, but it is indeed.

Willie Meggs is an attorney who has never met a camera he didn’t like. He has built a reputation within legal circles as a mugging, attention-seeking bobblehead. He loves holding back big announcements until the cameras are rolling, never missing a chance to dial up a famous anchor and give them the scoop so that his face can appear on the news.

The idea that this polished glory hog would back away from what would be one of the biggest legal media sensations in college football history when there was an actual case to be made is a bit farfetched. I am of the opinion that if there were any credible evidence support Kinsman’s claims, Meggs would have run with it.

Campus rape is a huge problem in our country, and one that must be met with a swift and brutal legal response. But the burden of proof is on the prosecution, and it appears that they could not meet that burden in this case.

None of this helps Winston. He will continue, perhaps justifiably, to be the subject of media scrutiny. But if there is no credible evidence, the court of public opinion should do what the Florida state courts have already done and move on.

65. chargertab says: Feb 23, 2016 4:18 PM

stanklepoot says:
    Feb 23, 2016 3:02 PM
    chargertab says:
    Feb 23, 2016 1:17 PM
    They had sex. That much, we can say for sure.

So I suggest we focus on topics that have legs. This one is over.
    ___________________________________

—————–

First, you’re absolutely correct I’m basing this on a legal argument. It’s the only distinction in our plane of existence that has any actual meaning to those of us completely uninvolved.

But yes, otherwise that’s what I said, you just added your input to the end about truth and who can know. Whether he did it or not is not up for debate any longer. There’s no longer a chance he could be a rapist. If you aren’t guilty of a crime, that means you’re innocent. You understand that, right? Yes, you can get away with crimes. I’m well aware. But the burden is on the accuser, public, and the police to find evidence that he did this. Otherwise, he didn’t in the only way that matters. The legal one.

The larger point I’m making is that nobody else should be calling him a rapist. The evidence wasn’t enough to charge him so until he’s arrested and found guilty in criminal court, he hasn’t done it.

There is lot of evidence has come to light about the girl’s intentions, but I’ve seen it mentioned above, so I won’t restate things.

But forget that. The main point becomes this: The presumption of innocence is the basis of our legal system and should be the how the court of public opinion works as well, but clearly that isn’t the case. People are willing to convict him based on their limited knowledge of the situation. It isn’t ‘The sole determining factor as to whether or not Winston is a rapist is whether or not Winston actually raped someone.’ That’s for God to sort out.

The rest of us have a legal system to make these judgments and it’s one of the best in the world. Not perfect, but good enough to sort this one out. If there were evidence that he raped her, there isn’t anywhere in the world he could hide from the scandal. That isn’t the case though. He’s an innocent man and should be treated as such in the court of law and the court of public opinion until such time in which he loses that status.

66. bucnbolt11 says: Feb 23, 2016 4:28 PM

She was in a group called “Cleat Chasers”..

67. briandorry55 says: Feb 23, 2016 4:34 PM

WOWWWWWWW.

You guys have no problem insinuating the believability of a case when it comes to Peyton Manning…

Do you really believe that Kinsman didn’t know who Winston was?

Perhaps you haven’t listened to the public statements made by her friends who were with her the night she ended up sleeping with Winston. If you did, you would know that she told her friends that the football players wanted her to go with them and was excited about it and seemed perfectly sober enough to make her own decisions. Maybe she didn’t know Jameis would end up being a Heisman trophy winner and #1 overall pick in the draft, but she knew he was a football player, and it probably would not be too hard to find out if the school’s prized recruit/next star quarterback was hanging out at the same bar as you.

So if you’re going to make assumptions about Manning’s situation, feel free to do your damn homework before you say anything about Jameis’ case.

68. Mr. Wright 212 says: Feb 23, 2016 4:39 PM

sscampton says:
    Feb 23, 2016 4:13 PM

Two words:

TRAVIS. JOHNSON.

69. dmc1542 says: Feb 23, 2016 5:52 PM

Unfortunately in today’s tmz society unless there’s a ray rice video tape, everyone ignores it. Mostly because it’s handled by Tallahassee police who have an interest in squashing it. I say this with limited knowledge as I haven’t followed this all that closely. But it’s sad, really, that he’ll probably get away with it.

70. charliecharger says: Feb 23, 2016 5:53 PM

Remember the Duke student athletes? That was all a 100% false accusation. Our society is set up for anyone that wants to bring a fraudulent lawsuit can, with no repercussions. So if it’s a false accusation, what does she have to do to repay him? Money? Prison time? What? I’d say there’s a 99% chance that he’s innocent. Lawyers encourage this behavior because they have nothing to lose.

71. chargerdillon says: Feb 23, 2016 6:00 PM

Yet in the same like if Jameis Winston was anybody else other than Jameis Winston, the accusations levied against him would neither be disregarded by the police, they wouldn’t be pushed out nearly a year, and they wouldn’t have attempted to be covered up in the first place.

Disagree 100% with everything said. Celebrity = innocence

The fact we still have OJ trials airing on television regarding a clearly guilty person who got off for murder with every bit of evidence identifying him for what he was.

Again…. celebrity = innocence, ask Charlie Sheen if he disagrees

72. Rolo Tomassi says: Feb 23, 2016 6:06 PM

What about Peyton Manning? ??

73. The ARA says: Feb 23, 2016 6:17 PM

The writer ignores that Winston was also on the baseball team. At Florida State. He was already a local celebrity. Already famous. He was a student-athlete. He was already a target for some of these women. When it became obvious he was gonna be rich too, the allegations came out. This woman is lying.

74. truthdispensary says: Feb 23, 2016 6:43 PM

The guy is a rapist & belongs in prison. Anything less is an insult to every woman who has been sexually assaulted & also every man who loves at least one female (mother, daughter, sister, grand mother, wife, girl friend, best friend, missed friend, you name it).

75. bueller101 says: Feb 23, 2016 6:59 PM

The narrative:

Erica Kinsman +$200,000

Erica Kinsman Attorneys +$750,00

FSU Attorneys +$950,000

FSU -$1,900,000 (attorney fees + stettlement)

Attorney Total +$1,800,000 and pending

Jameis’ Attorney +$A whole lot
    Jameis Winston -$ Who knows?

Forget about the idealistic dream of being the Heisman winner and first overall pick in the NFL draft… or winning a Super Bowl…

I should have dreamt of becoming an attorney.

76. darcrequiem says: Feb 23, 2016 7:12 PM

You can tell who read police report and who didn’t. She bruises on her knees and Winston’s DNA on her face. Her friends said she approached Winston and his friends, hopped in the cab with them, and tried to get them to come along. Her story has changed multiple. First she said she was drugged, toxicology proved that was a lie. Then she hit in the head, medical report proved that was a lie.

Jameis’ accuser makes it hard for women that are actually raped to get a fair shake. Her twitter account, her text messages on her phone, and her friends don’t back up her side of the story. The fact that she still is getting taken seriously when a cursory examination of the available evidence proves that she is most likely full of it. Makes me glad that I’m not athlete with a huge bank account.

Side note: I don’t know how this and the Manning situation are comparable. Manning’s case with settled out of court. Winston has maintained his innocence from the beginning. Manning has settled with the his accuser a total of three times.

77. TheWizard says: Feb 23, 2016 7:30 PM

I should have dreamt of becoming an attorney

Spent much time around any of them?

Careful what you wish for.

78. meximyke says: Feb 23, 2016 7:40 PM

Made the pro bowl on default! Nobody else at QB wanted to play in the game!

79. JC De La Torre says: Feb 23, 2016 7:59 PM

Well, this isn’t surprising. PFT goes to extreme lengths to defend the honor of one Peyton Manning but then attacks Jameis Winston?

Jameis Winston, who unlike Peyton, was never charged with a crime, who has won every hearing and court case that the accuser has brought against him and has a defamation suit against her.

Jameis also isn’t settling, like Peyton did – twice.

As for the ignorance going on in this comments section – here’s what I know.

Since becoming the QB of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jameis has
    – Been a model citizen, donating his time to community outreach.
    – He’s already assumed the leadership role of the team.
    – Had one of the best rookie seasons in NFL history throwing for 4,000 yds and scoring 28 TDs – on par with Andrew Luck and Cam Newton.
    – He is a positive force with the fanbase, giving Buc fans hope for the future.

I don’t know if he raped Erica Kinsman. The Buccaneers investigated this extensively and I have to say if there was any kind of substance to this nonsense, they would not have drafted him.

Ms. Kinsman has changed her story multiple times, gave a completely different description of her attacker and has sold her story for money.

I don’t know if she targeted Winston or just didn’t like being a One Night Stand but from what I’ve seen of Jameis Winston on and off the field, I’m more inclined to believe him.

80. Pftsliberalagenda says: Feb 23, 2016 8:17 PM

I do know your face. Therefore, I suggest pro activ or a bar of soap once in awhile.

81. sariff420 says: Feb 23, 2016 8:21 PM

Man. Internet white knights out in full force

82. burgboy82 says: Feb 23, 2016 9:05 PM

She changed her story several times. But hey, is that a witch? Burn the witch! The masses are so easily swayed.

83. ryanw822 says: Feb 23, 2016 10:26 PM

She didn’t know he was but she followed him on social media and went to his baseball games and cheered for him.

Yeah, she didn’t know who he was…

84. shyts7 says: Feb 23, 2016 10:48 PM

As someone who works in the criminal justice system, I can honestly say that after reviewing everything that was published, I have serious doubt about her side of the story. From changing her story multiple times to him having multiple witnesses that essentially tells the same story to the multiple dna’s in/on her to the most telling part about her claiming she was so intoxicated/under the influence of something yet registering a very low BAC when extrapolated back and testing clean for all drugs, all leads to one conclusion.

Yes they had sexual contact. But I can’t find any solid evidence of rape. What I think happened was she felt guilty of cheating on her boyfriend. True rape victims don’t say that all this can go away for 7 million dollars.

85. cobibones13 says: Feb 24, 2016 1:16 AM

She lied to the cops about who she was with because she probably never wanted to cops there. One of her friends called them, not her.

She said a guy who was a stranger(and was half a foot shorter than Winston) attacked her, drugged her, hit her on the head. Medical evidence proves otherwise.

She went back to his place and couldn’t even give the cops an initial? She magically had amnesia as to the fact she took a cab to his place.

She got a scooter ride from him after all than and misjudged his height by half a foot?

86. cobibones13 says: Feb 24, 2016 1:32 AM

the only reason he’s being sued in civil court is because he has money. the case is so flimsy they couldn’t charge him criminally.

He’s been famous since high school. He walked into a bar with other football players, and she lied to the cops that she didn’t know him. She talked to a few of them that night, went back to their place, and she gave no description at all to the cops.

87. turbo2728 says: Feb 24, 2016 2:54 AM

While he might not have been famous when the alleged incident occurred, he was famous by the time the accusations were made.

Kinsman’s story changes an alarming amount of times and it’s no wonder that Jameis was never charged.

Two eye witnesses also corroborate Jameis’ version, but those guys are team mates, so “they much be lying to protect their bro”. Does anyone honestly believe that his teammates would deliberately lie when deposed, putting their freedom, future and potential NFL careers at risk, to protect a rapist?

I’ll be glad when this entire case is over and I hope Jameis donates the damages he should win to an appropriate charity.

88. sheyib says: Feb 25, 2016 7:57 AM

Guys, the basis of this article is mute… He never claimed he was accused because he was famous if you read the MMQB piece, it was a two part question sexual allegation and being in the spotlight off the field… He clearly avoided the sexual allegation question and spoke about being in the spotlight off the field… So this article is pointless… Just another clickbait… Please read the MMQB article and get your info first person

89. sidnoleblog says: Feb 29, 2016 7:22 AM

Yes, he wasn’t famous when she first filed a police report…which then her crazy aunt decided not to pursue when it was clear that she was lying…that is until Jameis DID become famous… Anyone…and I mean ANYONE who has read the evidence, STUDIED THE TIMELINES, and listened to the audio depositions of Kinsman’s OWN FRIENDS, knows that there was no rape…this is, was, and always has been about $$$$