Adam Podlesh hopes to resume NFL career

CHICAGO, IL - NOVEMBER 10:  Adam Podlesh #8 of the Chicago Bears punts against the Detroit Lions at Soldier Field on November 10, 2013 in Chicago, Illinois. The Lions defeated the Bears 21-19.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images) Getty Images

Punter Adam Podlesh signed with the Steelers for the 2014 season, but didn’t wind up making it to training camp with the team because of a family emergency.

Podlesh’s wife developed a serious complication with a pregnancy that forced an emergency delivery of the couple’s son. Podlesh’s wife had to spend time in intensive care because she was having trouble breathing and the punter opted to walk away from football to focus on the needs at home.

Everyone in the Podlesh family is doing well now, which leaves the punting member of the clan to give a comeback a try. He’s been working out and said he’s set up a meeting with a team in the coming weeks.

“I feel like I’m good enough to do it and it’s a passion of mine,” Podlesh said, via WLTV. “You have to have the spirit and passion to play this game and I still have it. … I haven’t been told I’m not good enough yet and until I get told I’m not good enough and that I should exit the league. I feel like I should give it another shot as long as it’s feasible for my family.”

Podlesh has seven years of experience in the NFL, four with the Jaguars and three with the Bears before signing with the Steelers.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Adam Podlesh hopes to resume NFL career”
  1. fatguystrangler says: Feb 24, 2016 7:59 AM

Best of luck to him. Hopefully, he’ll get to compete in training camp for a team.

2. theimmaculatedeception says: Feb 24, 2016 8:05 AM

Cool story. Hope he makes a go of it!

3. jonathankrobinson424 says: Feb 24, 2016 8:09 AM

…..definitely has his priorities right….he should land on a team because punters seem to get better with experience and age in this game.

4. raiderinva says: Feb 24, 2016 8:14 AM

This is just the kind of Special Teams orientated feel good story that would smooth over the NFL move to L.A.

5. steelerben says: Feb 24, 2016 8:46 AM

Hopefully teams don’t hold that camp walkout against him, because that is certainly a legitimate reason. Best of luck to him and his family.

6. bassplucker says: Feb 24, 2016 9:14 AM

Props to him for having his priorities in order. I hope he gets another shot somewhere.

7. mistakeonthelake says: Feb 24, 2016 9:17 AM

Regardless of how his career works out, I am glad to hear that all is well with his family. As a father, nothing keeps me up at night more than the thought of losing a child or my wife. This is a reminder that, as much time, money, and energy we put into this game as fans, it is still just a game and there are more important things in life.

8. gojags says: Feb 24, 2016 9:25 AM

Bring Podlesh back to JAX. Fire the third round punter who was drafted before Russell Wilson, Oliver Vernon in favor of a fourth round punter.

Jeez the Jags earlier management kept on drafting punters …. and with all due respect that was a better selection by them by far.

9. hawks52 says: Feb 24, 2016 9:51 AM

Not a great punter but held his own in difficult conditions at Soldier Field. Now I see he certainly has mental toughness and a lot of incentive – plus family support.

I think he’ll be punting for some team the first week of the NFL season.

10. mt10425 says: Feb 24, 2016 9:57 AM

I’d like to see him get a shot to challenge Scifres.

11. TebowedOutOfThePostSeasonAndNeverToReturn says: Feb 24, 2016 11:24 AM

Of course the Steelers slammed the door in his face. This organization is always holding grudges unless you’re accused of rape.