Report: No charges for LeSean McCoy

LeSean McCoy AP

The investigation into the alleged assault involving Bills running back LeSean McCoy is likely to result in no charges against McCoy, a source told Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News Thursday.

Carucci tweeted that someone with McCoy that night could be charged, but McCoy won’t be.

McCoy was involved in an early-morning Philadelphia nightclub fight on Super Bowl Sunday that ended with off-duty police officers being hospitalized.

There have been varying reports on whether charges would be filed, and the district attorney’s office has said there’s no hurry to make a decision. The Fraternal Order of Police accused the district attorney of providing McCoy special treatment.

The NFL began investigating the incident immediately after news of it emerged. The Bills have said nothing beyond a standard team statement that they’re aware of the incident.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Report: No charges for LeSean McCoy”
  1. truthfactory says: Feb 25, 2016 11:56 AM

I’m sure Archie Manning “swept this under the rug” too…

2. godfatherd says: Feb 25, 2016 11:59 AM

Having dealt with off duty cops as a bouncer in my 20s, this does not surprise me. It wasn’t uncommon for off duty cops to start fights, then claim to be the party that was attacked once we called the cops and their buddies showed up.

3. floratiotime says: Feb 25, 2016 12:00 PM

Thank goodness he’s rich and famous.

4. whitewalkerinphilly says: Feb 25, 2016 12:04 PM

I’d wait until it’s official, but it doesn’t shock me.

Drunk witnesses, allegations of the plaintiff’s (who the cops said in advance would not be charged) drunkenly brandishing a gun, and putting someone in a choke hold and possibly driving drunk meeting a high priced lawyer over a misdemeanor charge…

5. 1wildfan1 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:06 PM

Wonder how many autographs the DA got out of this case of celebrity justice

6. ctiggs says: Feb 25, 2016 12:06 PM

we knew this was going to happen. Now charge the cops for starting the fight and check their bank accounts. How can they buy multiple 1k bottles.

7. bettywhiteshairnet says: Feb 25, 2016 12:09 PM

Everyone ready to throw Shady under the bus. In the court of public opinion he was guilty. Looks like a whole lot more to the story and maybe the off duty officers actually started the whole thing. No I don’t hate the boys in blue, but I do hate crooked and bully cops. Sounds like they got the beat down they may have deserved/asked for. Although he may get off, he will still have to sit out a few games IMO.

8. bettywhiteshairnet says: Feb 25, 2016 12:11 PM

floratiotime says:
    Feb 25, 2016 12:00 PM

Thank goodness he’s rich and famous.
    ————————-

Or he is not guilty. One punch doesn’t make it assault when he could have been defending himself. No one really knows what went down that night but the people involved. Too many stories from both sides

9. rabidbillsfan says: Feb 25, 2016 12:22 PM

@whitewalkerinphilly

It doesn’t shock you? Really? Because I vaguely remember reading a comment where you were sure he was only meeting with the DA to plea bargain, believing you offended everyone by saying so.

I will say I’m not shocked, and I hadn’t been all along, even after the video. It was a bar fight, if one party is charged, both parties are charged. The only reason there are no charges is because of the backlash that would have been the true story and how it would have shown the cops in an even more negative light than McCoy, I mean, we all already know McCoy is a block head.

10. mbloom99 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:23 PM

godfatherd says:
    Feb 25, 2016 11:59 AM

————————————

Having socialized with off duty police in my 20s, this does not surprise me.

11. imodan says: Feb 25, 2016 12:28 PM

I know we all busted Carter’s butt for the fall guy advice but damned if he wasn’t right.

12. pedrov1 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:28 PM

Cops are a tight knit group they will lie for each other even if they are the guilty party the D.A. Sees through the bravado in this case.

13. isitheshoes says: Feb 25, 2016 12:30 PM

McCoy might need to file a restraining order against Philly after this is over…

14. intrafinesse says: Feb 25, 2016 12:36 PM

1. If it was not off-duty cops, and instead just some average people, would this be an issue?

2. If it wasn’t an NFL player, and just an average person, would this be an issue.

3. Did McCoys party start the altercation? Did the off duty cops start the altercation?

Is there a video that shows the entire incident, including what happened before?

LeSean may be a bad guy, but proof is needed.

15. bernieknowsfootball says: Feb 25, 2016 12:40 PM

Money talks and he’ll walk !!!

16. whitewalkerinphilly says: Feb 25, 2016 12:42 PM

RE: rabidbillsfan

I said that’s what I thought the DA was holding the meeting for. I still think odds are good a deal was offered at that time.

Hell, I even phrased it around the argument I thought that he would use: that it would likely cost less than a trial, shield Shady from the chance for the attorney general getting involved (double jeopardy), the cops get a civil suit lined up (which I fully expect to happen anyway) and don’t have to worry about possibly admitting to a crime on the stand.

I also would not be shocked that the decision to reshuffle the meeting changed the perception of the bargaining position. It went from “Shady is going to see the DA” to “the DA is choosing to come to Shady’s lawyer’s office”.

17. eagles1960 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:43 PM

With liberty and justice for all.

18. realfootballfan says: Feb 25, 2016 12:43 PM

So you can’t use the DA’s office and taxpayer money to go to court after you get the bad end of a bar fight? Who knew?

19. hatersgonnahatehate says: Feb 25, 2016 12:46 PM

“We decided that living in buffalo was punishment enough.”

20. mack2x says: Feb 25, 2016 12:50 PM

At least no one was stabbed to death.

21. ( . Y . ) says: Feb 25, 2016 12:54 PM

truthfactory says:
    Feb 25, 2016 11:56 AM

I’m sure Archie Manning “swept this under the rug” too…
    —————————-

Unless McCoy paid damages to the cops, more than once, I’m going to say “its unlikely”.

22. mogogo1 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:55 PM

3 cops bought 4 bottles of thousand-dollar champagne–it wasn’t even just one bottle per guy. Since I know very few guys who like champagne that much my guess would be they were spraying the stuff around and that was the start of the fight. Has anybody reported on what they were celebrating and how they could afford $4,000 worth of champagne?

23. ourbonesaredriedup says: Feb 25, 2016 12:56 PM

no surprise here, he shows the DA the money, and he walks away. A DA isn’t going to go against Mr Money

24. bosskingnation says: Feb 25, 2016 1:01 PM

DAMN! I wanted to see that fat blowhard coach of his sweat a little

25. billsfan says: Feb 25, 2016 1:02 PM

Chris Carter gave Shady the phone number for:
    “Get a fall guy” 1-444-4APRICE

26. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Feb 25, 2016 1:03 PM

Good, those meat heads should lose their jobs.

27. billswillnevermove says: Feb 25, 2016 1:10 PM

Told you so……..and nhpats wanted to give him the death penalty.

28. bengalsfan2079 says: Feb 25, 2016 1:15 PM

Seems like the cops were in the wrong to and they don’t want to make it look bad for anyone so they’ll act like nothing happened sounds like McCoy and his buddy laid it on them though.

29. laserw says: Feb 25, 2016 1:22 PM

See – black lives do matter – more.

30. ( . Y . ) says: Feb 25, 2016 2:01 PM

Oops, looks like some of these comments were made too quickly… lol

31. rcali says: Feb 25, 2016 3:29 PM

Looks like he had a “fall guy” just like Chris Carter suggested. Sort of like Haslem did with Flying J.

32. bigshine40 says: Feb 25, 2016 3:48 PM

The boys in blue were the aggressors

33. mrrmiyagi says: Feb 25, 2016 6:04 PM

Better call Saul Goodman.

34. jocyn says: Feb 25, 2016 7:54 PM

Nesby is so upset about all of this that he’s only going to eat ONE dozen of donuts every day this coming week instead of his usual three.

35. pioniere says: Feb 26, 2016 5:32 PM

If anyone should be charged, it should probably be the ‘off duty’ cops.