Small-handed Arkansas QB trying to stretch his fingers before Combine

OXFORD, MS - NOVEMBER 07:  Brandon Allen #10 of the Arkansas Razorbacks drops back to pass during the fourth quarter of a game against the Mississippi Rebels at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Oxford, Mississippi.  (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images) Getty Images

You know what they say about quarterbacks with small hands — their signing bonuses are smaller.

So in an effort to fix one of the most peculiar and yet meaningful measurements at the Scouting Combine, one prospect is trying to make his hands bigger before the scouts measure them this week.

According to Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports, Arkansas quarterback Brandon Allen has worked with a massage therapist to try to increase the thumb-to-pinkie measurement which some deem as crucial.

“It’s obviously something I can’t control,” Allen said, mentioning the masseuse has tried to stretch his hands twice a week “to maybe get another 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch here or there because the muscles in my hands were really tight and this can loosen them up. I have long fingers.

It’s worth a shot.”

Yes, that’s right. He’s trying to stretch his fingers so his hands look bigger. Because that matters.

Allen’s hands measured at 8 1/2 inches at the Senior Bowl, the smallest of the quarterbacks there. Usually, anything under 9 inches is viewed with suspicion, as the larger the hand, the easier it is to grip the ball and throw it in windy conditions.

Browns coach Hue Jackson admitted it was something he looked at in a quarterback.

“Oh yes, it does. It does,” Jackson said. “It matters because we play in a division where all of a sudden there’s rain, there’s snow and it’s different. I think guys that have big hands can grip the ball better in those environmental situations and so we’ll look for a guy that fits what we’re looking for in a quarterback and is hand size important? Yes it is.”

Again, it makes for an easy joke, especially when small-handed guys such as Tony Romo (sub-9) have problems with ball control over the years. But the fact that Allen is actually trying to stretch his now shows how important the measurement is.

Even if people think he’s circus folk, and smells like cabbages.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
61 Responses to “Small-handed Arkansas QB trying to stretch his fingers before Combine”
  1. itsfootballbaby says: Feb 25, 2016 8:56 AM

2. thermo321 says: Feb 25, 2016 8:57 AM

He can just deflate the footballs if he has small hands and needs a better grip. The NFL doesn’t care

3. leatherhelmets says: Feb 25, 2016 8:59 AM

If this works for the hands then maybe, you know….

4. jag1959 says: Feb 25, 2016 9:00 AM

And more Bridgewater bashing in 5, 4, 3…

5. WalterHartwellWhite says: Feb 25, 2016 9:02 AM

you know who had a great thumb to pinkie measurement? Uncle Rico.. you can just never tell

6. coldplay519 says: Feb 25, 2016 9:04 AM

“Usually, anything under 9 inches is viewed with suspicion.”

I view the rest of mankind with suspicion.

7. ddogdaddy says: Feb 25, 2016 9:04 AM

Hah. You are wrong. My wife says size doesn’t matter.

8. heymister24 says: Feb 25, 2016 9:06 AM

The NFL is discriminating against small-handed QB’s. The league should immediately lower the PSI number on the low end or face a discrimination lawsuit.

9. tokyosandblaster says: Feb 25, 2016 9:10 AM

Probably still bigger than Teddy’s hands.

10. kcchiefsfan4426 says: Feb 25, 2016 9:11 AM

Anyone else just measure their hand?

11. thepftpoetisadbag says: Feb 25, 2016 9:12 AM

Yep. Teddy B. stinks.

12. heymister24 says: Feb 25, 2016 9:12 AM

All female QB’s can now file a class action unless the NFL cuts the air.

13. GO FOR TWO SPORTS says: Feb 25, 2016 9:13 AM

They said Aaron Rogers had small hands…….

14. bassplucker says: Feb 25, 2016 9:14 AM

Meh. Build up the OL so your QB isn’t getting hit all the time and the size of the hands becomes far less of an issue. It might make a slight bit of difference in cold/wet weather but to me that whole thing is overblown, just like arm length for O-Linemen.

15. mazenblue says: Feb 25, 2016 9:15 AM

Poor journalism at the end there. At least you tried.

16. gysot says: Feb 25, 2016 9:16 AM

Mr Deflator you have a call on line 1.

17. tindeaux says: Feb 25, 2016 9:16 AM

some just needs a chance. others have got 3-4 chances, still didn’t look good…
    good luck “small-hand” guy!

18. cesar2409 says: Feb 25, 2016 9:19 AM

Had to double check I wasn’t on the onion with this headline.

19. heymister24 says: Feb 25, 2016 9:19 AM

The NFL has damaged the reputations of small-handed/high fumbler QB’s with the league’s high PSI numbers.

20. ariani1985 says: Feb 25, 2016 9:27 AM

Let’s never forget that little erin Rogers has led the league in fumble 6s for 3 straight years !

#OT you lose again!

21. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Feb 25, 2016 9:28 AM

Bustwater proves you can’t be a good QB with small hands.

22. charliecharger says: Feb 25, 2016 9:31 AM

Ha. No wonder GMs are getting fired all the time. Just look at the tape and you can tell how good a QB is. If you can’t see everything on tape you should update your resume because you’ll be needing a job soon. All this garbage might fool some owners temporarily, but the ax isn’t too far away. Tony Romo doesn’t have any problems controlling the football or the game. He’s one of the best QBs in the NFL, and he wasn’t even drafted. If Romo’s draft were held today, he’d be the number one pick. in the entire country. Give me a break.

23. DaveKShape says: Feb 25, 2016 9:32 AM

Large hands are important for throwing. That said, Manziel has huge hands, and people gushed over that at the combine. Tells you all you need to know.

24. billsboy88 says: Feb 25, 2016 9:33 AM

Bernie says he will create a federal mandate requiring teams to carry at least one small handed QB on their roster

25. jessethegreat says: Feb 25, 2016 9:37 AM

Rather than pass on the guys with little hands, they could just build a billion dollar bird sanctuary for them to play in like a certain team did up nort.

26. Frum Slum says: Feb 25, 2016 9:42 AM

After reading this, I measure my own hand from thumb to pinkie (something I’ve never done before) and it measured 9 1/4 inches and I’m not a big guy (5’9, 180lbs).

If this guy’s hands are only 8 1/2 inches then yeah I can see that as being a problem. Not sure what good trying to stretch the hand for the combine would do if everyone knows ahead of time that the measurement would be the results of stretch-gate though.

27. damonpsu says: Feb 25, 2016 9:46 AM

I ran a 5.7 40 the other day, but at least I know I’m ok in one combine regard

28. Gordon says: Feb 25, 2016 9:47 AM

This is the best story I’ve read in this site in years.

29. In Teddy We Trust says: Feb 25, 2016 9:49 AM

I hope Hue Jackson was kidding, or maybe he’s just a closet Packer fan. They literally think the 1/8″ difference between Rodger’s and Bridgewater’s hands is the difference between All-Pro and bust.

Of course, Rodgers does fumble every single time he’s hit.

30. bobnelsonjr says: Feb 25, 2016 9:50 AM

When it comes to small hand size, Romo is the exception and that vikings QB is is the rule.

QB’s with hands as large as Brett Favre will always be drafted.

31. huh6016 says: Feb 25, 2016 9:52 AM

and the genius QB (Allen)just told the NFL that he has small hands….brilliant…….

32. gbey500 says: Feb 25, 2016 9:54 AM

What a great excuse to go to the massage parlor. Honey I’m going to get a massage, it’s for your pleasure.

33. kneedragr says: Feb 25, 2016 9:58 AM

Ive got pretty small hands, have always had a difficult time gripping and throwing a football because of it and I just measured mine and they are 8.5 inches thump to pinkie. I cant imagine anyone being successful in the NFL with hands that size.

34. eaglesw00t says: Feb 25, 2016 10:00 AM

That’s tiny…

Mine measure at 9″ even, and I have a hard time gripping a ball to throw anything over 40ish yards.

If his are that much smaller, I have a hard time believing he is in a different boat than I am. I used to pitch in college, and I was able to throw an 87mph fastball. Not spectacular…but it shows that its not my arm that’s my problem. Its specifically my grip.

I don’t see this kid getting drafted, honestly.

35. kcchefs58 says: Feb 25, 2016 10:06 AM

What kind of voodoo sorcery is this massage therapy?

36. Getoffmylawn! says: Feb 25, 2016 10:13 AM

ariani1985 says:
    Feb 25, 2016 9:27 AM

#OT you lose again!
    ———————————————-
    That’s because he passes the ball to his receivers instead of handing off constantly to a child beater. You would hold onto the ball to if the other choice was to hand the ball to a guy waiting in the buffet line.

37. idpfantasyfootball says: Feb 25, 2016 10:14 AM

I wish I was a little bit taller…
    I wish I was a baller…

Life is #TooShort

38. jaxon51 says: Feb 25, 2016 10:15 AM

Jason Pierre Paul has a video out on how to shorten your fingers but I am not sure what advice to give this guy. Finger envy,deal with it.

39. walk929501 says: Feb 25, 2016 10:18 AM

“Kind of like when Bobby Brady hung from the swing set so he could be tall enough to be a security monitor.”

Or when Barney Fife stretched his neck in the closet so he could be tall enough to remain a deputy.

40. huh6016 says: Feb 25, 2016 10:18 AM

I would think Strong-Flexible hands would be preferred. But then again the great Brad Childress was big on hand size and look at the great QB’s he brought in as head coach at Minnesota. Now HJackson sounds like Chilli’s twin…. haha see you fired soon Hue….

41. dapollock69 says: Feb 25, 2016 10:22 AM

Just have the rookies hold their hand up to their faces to measure. (Whack!) it’ll get them every time. Eli at least twice.

42. wallabear says: Feb 25, 2016 10:26 AM

Chile, pleeze lol

Two (2) TDs vs. ‘Bama
    Three (3) TDs vs. Auburn
    One (1) TD vs. LSU

If a QB plays well against top-tier teams, then I would think that Hand Size should be the least significant factor towards determining whether that QB has “potential” or not lol

Give this topic a rest, will ya!

43. kevpft says: Feb 25, 2016 10:28 AM

“Again, it makes for an easy joke, especially when small-handed guys such as Tony Romo (sub-9) have problems with ball control over the years”

From 2012-2014 (the most I felt like sampling at this moment), Romo has fewer fumbles than Newton, Luck, Cutler, Roethlisberger, Kaepernick, Stafford, Eli Manning, Flynn, Wilson, Alex Smith, Rivers, Palmer, and Flacco. In 2013, he had no fumbles at all.

He also threw fewer interceptions during that time than Luck, Rivers, Cutler, Brees, Dalton, both Mannings, Newton, Flacco, Ryan, Brady, Wilson, Stafford, and Roethlisberger.

Maybe the joke is harder than you think.

44. destructicus says: Feb 25, 2016 10:39 AM

kcchiefsfan4426 says:
    Feb 25, 2016 9:11 AM

Anyone else just measure their hand?

___________________________

Yes I did. 9″ even just like Eagleswoot.

And I too have difficulty gripping the ball in inclement weather.

Also, that’s about 22 cm in Canada… which probably why I cringe anytime somebody brings a CFL ball to the park (they are rounder). It
    s weird the ball would be rounder considering most of the football played up here is in colder weather. I guess we like a challenge…

45. foodiefoodnerd says: Feb 25, 2016 10:40 AM

Quoting leatherhelmets:

“If this works for the hands then maybe, you know….”
    ~~~~~~
    Yeah, if “massaging” worked there all of you men would be as hung as you claim.

46. foodiefoodnerd says: Feb 25, 2016 10:46 AM

Quoting kevpft:
    “Maybe the joke is harder than you think.”
    ~~~~~

It’s not the so-called joke that’s so complex; it’s doing real journalism, research, like what you did here.

Much easier to slap up silly jokes, mindless speculation and some moron’s Twitter feed than to write about real football.

47. realtruthteller100 says: Feb 25, 2016 10:47 AM

he should consijder removing some fingers, worked for jpp

48. brodams says: Feb 25, 2016 11:00 AM

leatherhelmets says:
    Feb 25, 2016 8:59 AM

If this works for the hands then maybe, you know….

———————————————–

Doesn’t work there either, but I continue to try.

49. jake6879 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:05 AM

As a guy who played a QB and has the same 8-1/2″ span, it matters.. I could throw a hell of a football but the reason I am on here right now instead of enjoying the offseason on in Maui is largely because of that fact. Each level, the ball gets slightly larger and while I might(15 years ago) be able to throw like a pro in good weather, a few balls look like Rex Grossman here and there. In rain or cold weather, all bets are off.. That’s an issue. I wish it wasn’t because I would’ve probably had a career doing it but.. it matters..

50. diveleft says: Feb 25, 2016 11:22 AM

jake6879 says:
    Feb 25, 2016 11:05 AM

========

By any chance does your last name happen to be Locker?

51. granadafan says: Feb 25, 2016 11:23 AM

Hand size is the new “cannon for an arm” or 40 speed fodder for pseudo analysts. You can have a Jeff George golden arm, but if you have a 10 cent head like George, Ryan Mallet, Manziel, Tebow, JaMarcus Russell, then you’re going nowhere.

52. touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 25, 2016 11:24 AM

idpfantasyfootball says:
    Feb 25, 2016 10:14 AM

I wish I was a little bit taller…
    I wish I was a baller…

Life is #TooShort

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too bad that’s a Skee-lo song…

53. sgcrys says: Feb 25, 2016 11:34 AM

Just measured 9 1/2 and told my wife I’m going pro. Sure I might only be 5’8″ and 160 lbs, but apparently I have the hand size of a champ.

54. theproductdoctor says: Feb 25, 2016 11:43 AM

Thank you for the Austin Powers reference…..carnies lol

55. scmems07 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:57 AM

Only two things in this world scare me….and 1 is nuclear war….

and what’s the other?

Arkansas QB’s…small hands.

56. flaccodelic says: Feb 25, 2016 12:23 PM

Guessing any measurement benefit he might have gained has been completely outweighed by discussing his attempted subterfuge with a reporter.

PS- If you ever make it to the pros, this will haunt you.

57. bernieknowsfootball says: Feb 25, 2016 12:37 PM

Also,- you know what they say about QB’s with big feet,- they have big socks

58. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Feb 25, 2016 12:38 PM

In Teddy We Trust says:
    Feb 25, 2016 9:49 AM

Of course, Rodgers does fumble every single time he’s hit.

———-

Oh, I see. Players must get 1) Super Bowl Championship rings, 2) Super Bowl MVP awards, 3) NFL Offensive Player of the Year awards, and 4) NFL MVP awards for fumbling.

I’m surprised AD isn’t already in the Hall of Fame.

59. Frazier28/7 says: Feb 25, 2016 1:22 PM

Have you ever seen a fanbase more obsessed with another mans hand size then that of green bay packer fan? Ya’ll trying to make for your own short comings, elsewhere?

60. mnfaninil says: Feb 25, 2016 1:27 PM

I’m 5’2″, but have 14.5″ hands. I can still run the 40 in under 4.4 at age 72 and have a 53″ vertical. All I care about is can the kid play football, what does the tape show? Hows many combine superstars end up doing nothing?

61. dwhcic says: Feb 25, 2016 4:51 PM