Some weirdo team asks a player if he thought his mom was hot

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - FEBRUARY 25: Offensive lineman David DeCastro of Stanford participates in the vertical jump drill during the 2012 NFL Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium on February 25, 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images) Getty Images

It was shameful when an NFL team asked tight end Nick Kasa at the Scouting Combine if he liked girls.

It was moronic when Jeff Ireland once asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute.

But they’ve now been topped, by the mother of all ridiculous combine questions.

According to Dane Brugler of CBSSports.com, one team asked a prospect if he found his mother attractive.

First off, gross.

Second of all, it’s hard to imagine what the right answer to this question would be.

Third, what in the name of Oedipus Rex Ryan (who’s always been more of a foot man) could possibly be gleaned from this kind of information, once harvested?

During their interviews with players, teams want to put players in uncomfortable spots to see how they think on their feet, to gauge reactions rather than canned answers prepared weeks or months in advance. But sometimes, in their effort to be clever, teams cross the line.

And whichever team did this one, crossed the line in a major way.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
64 Responses to “Some weirdo team asks a player if he thought his mom was hot”
  1. benh999 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:08 AM

Have to see the mom before passing judgement.

2. corporatemediaprostitute says: Feb 25, 2016 11:11 AM

The correct answer is: …And the horse you rode in on.

3. deepseabreeze says: Feb 25, 2016 11:13 AM

I’d have punched my interviewer

4. Kapodaco says: Feb 25, 2016 11:14 AM

Life in the NFL: Before They Were Stars!

5. mjd08501 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:18 AM

My gut tells me this question came from Chip Kelly

6. floratiotime says: Feb 25, 2016 11:18 AM

All part of the new wondermilf test.

7. cakesw says: Feb 25, 2016 11:18 AM

Based on their previous drafts…

That team’s GM rhymes with….

Brent Gaalke

8. qdog112 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:19 AM

At age 21 or 22, I would be stunned by that question and knowing what may be at stake, I probably say the wrong thing, take a swing or walk out. Maybe even say, I’m not sure what you mean, please expound.

As a mature man, I’d answer by saying, yes she’s attractive as a parent, as my mother, she’s very attractive. Then I would pivot to ask him the same question.

9. mightymightylafootball says: Feb 25, 2016 11:20 AM

Well, is she? Where’s that pic, Gantt?

10. macjacmccoy says: Feb 25, 2016 11:20 AM

No they didn’t it’s funny. Anybody who has played football would of had things much worse said to them. Whoever gets upset or angry with these questions are exactly the people that team doesn’t want.

I totally get why these questions are asked and I like that they ask them. Better then asking them what super power they would want, what animal they would be, or there favorite color. Like modern interviewers do to normal people.

11. conflictedobserver says: Feb 25, 2016 11:21 AM

jerrah was wanting to draft this kid because he was interested in his mom.
    not hard to figure.
    right up the ole dallas alley

12. theghostofottograham says: Feb 25, 2016 11:22 AM

The question is not the problem, the answer very well could be…

13. vpettijohnjr says: Feb 25, 2016 11:24 AM

Not a weird question at all. I’m sure teams ask all kind of random questions to see if the player being asked runs out and tells what he was asked.

Loose lips sink ships. This is just a method of finding potential leaks.

14. joe.attaboy says: Feb 25, 2016 11:25 AM

I hate to laugh at this, but it reminds me of a Wayne’s World sketch from back in the ’90s. Wayne calls Garth’s mom (Candice Bergin) a “fox”:

Garth: Hey, Wayne, that’s my mom you’re talking about!

Wayne: I’m sorry, Garth – sorry – but you got a babe for a mom! You’re such a lucky duck!

Just replace “Garth” and “Wayne” with the player and team names.

15. joemontanafootball16 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:26 AM

The correct response is… an uppercut to the person who asked this.

16. patslaya says: Feb 25, 2016 11:27 AM

I’m sure whoever asked that question was only trying to put it out there that he was looking for action. You know, kind of like when you were a kid and you asked some dude if his sister is hot or asked a girl if she had any hot friends. The guy probably took look at some strapping young buck and thought I bet his mom is hot and I think I will find out if I’m right.

17. boston444 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:28 AM

I’d tell the team that I was done with the interview right then and there and walk out. Completely unprofessional and unnecessary.

18. siriusred67 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:28 AM

As if the question isn’t bad enough, I just hope that the player’s mother is at least still alive. If she is deceased, then that team has *really* crossed a line.

19. patriottony says: Feb 25, 2016 11:29 AM

IT was REX….100% for sure, he saw a picture of her in peep toes…that made him crazy

20. therealraider says: Feb 25, 2016 11:30 AM

My money is on Jeff Ireland.

21. upperdecker19 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:32 AM

In all fairness, was the player from a university in either the state of Kentucky or Arkansas?

22. dapollock69 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:33 AM

My money is on Trestman asking the question.

23. touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 25, 2016 11:33 AM

If the goal is to see if a guy gets flustered or not then yeah, I get it. Lot of trash talk out on that field and the guys that can’t take it wind up suspended OBJ style. If they were truly interested in the answer however I think it’s time for that team to start shopping GMs. . .

24. REDSKINSFOREVER says: Feb 25, 2016 11:35 AM

Don’t be to hard on the interviewer, he’s just lonely. Match.com isn’t working out so he’s thinking outside the box.

25. uglydingo says: Feb 25, 2016 11:36 AM

Jeff Ireland is now in New Orleans. He has a certain skill in asking questions that provoke a hostile reaction. Sounds like something Jeff would ask delicately with a warm smile.

26. buffalostarwarsfan says: Feb 25, 2016 11:37 AM

Yeah this team crossed the line, but keep making Rex Ryan foot jokes. Totally relevant to the sports coverage.

27. jmac1013 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:40 AM

28. jmac1013 says: Feb 25, 2016 11:41 AM

mjd08501 says:
    Feb 25, 2016 11:18 AM
    My gut tells me this question came from Chip Kelly
    =============================
    Chip doesn’t talk to the players on his team. What makes you think he’d talk to prospective players? lol

29. ctiggs says: Feb 25, 2016 11:42 AM

I could see it being The Lambs, Cards, Shehawks or Jerrah.

30. citizenstrange says: Feb 25, 2016 11:43 AM

All these amateur psychologists should be ashamed of themselves. There should be an athlete advocate or at least a neutral third party in the room for every interview so the good ol’ boy club can’t get their sick little twisted kicks asking this nonsensical crap.

31. rushbacker says: Feb 25, 2016 11:44 AM

If dumb shock value junk is the best use teams can find for the interview period, it’s probably time for that part of the process to be shut down.

32. ragnarthemagnificent says: Feb 25, 2016 11:45 AM

Next question, “is she single?” followed by, “does she like beards?”

33. jerseyshoregiant says: Feb 25, 2016 11:49 AM

My answer would have been. If you are looking for a date, she is out of your league.

34. ravensroostoftexas says: Feb 25, 2016 11:50 AM

upperdecker19 says:
    Feb 25, 2016 11:32 AM

Ha ha…could be West Virginia as well. :-)

35. ctiggs says: Feb 25, 2016 11:55 AM

ravensroostoftexas says:
    Feb 25, 2016 11:50 AM

upperdecker19 says:
    Feb 25, 2016 11:32 AM

Ha ha…could be West Virginia as well.:-)

Don’t leave out Alabama and Mississippi

36. thundersnacker says: Feb 25, 2016 11:56 AM

Can’t believe I never thought of “Oedipus Rex”.

37. ( . Y . ) says: Feb 25, 2016 12:04 PM

There is a big difference between attractive, and being attracted to. I’m certainly not “attracted to” my mom, but I think she is an attractive woman. Am I supposed to go feel bad about myself now because I think my mom is attractive?

38. thundersnacker says: Feb 25, 2016 12:07 PM

jmac1013 says:
    Feb 25, 2016 11:40 AM

====================
    three things. 1) Reagan killed the Fairness Doctrine 2) Clinton signed the Telecommunications Act and 3) Social media. Put those together and you have your answer. Good and Bad.

39. gerwinke1985 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:10 PM

These guys are coached the generic answers before hand. Much like they train for the combine. These teams are trying to catch them off guard with random questions to see how they respond.

40. scmems07 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:11 PM

“Who is the author to determine that a line has been crossed? It’s a question. Answer it, or don’t, and move on. Why must everything be an issue? What happened to this country that everyone is offended by everything?”

I am offended with the font you used and the amount of questions you’ve asked in this one statement. I demand an apology!

41. steelerben says: Feb 25, 2016 12:16 PM

It is totally relevant. They just want to know if he is going to age gracefully. Genetic analysis on the cheap.

42. troy43mvp says: Feb 25, 2016 12:28 PM

The only way the question becomes rhetorical is if the player being questioned has the first name Stacie.

43. honeybadger14 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:29 PM

Response needs to be on par with the seriousness of the question.

Yes she is, I whisper it into her ear every night while we spoon.

A question back is always good and demonstrates that you are engaged in the conversation.

Were you guys talking to my therapist?

44. metalup666 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:32 PM

Who’s Jerrah?

45. willycents says: Feb 25, 2016 12:38 PM

I understand asking the question, believe it or not. Imagine the trash talk made on the field about the opponents mothers. This pales in comparison I am certain.

46. imodan says: Feb 25, 2016 12:39 PM

I believe the proper response to the question is a quick, well targeted punch to the interviewer’s mouth. The NFL is really never ceasing to amaze.

47. mogogo1 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:40 PM

“Whoever gets upset or angry with these questions are exactly the people that team doesn’t want.”
    ________

That logic would hold if they had absolutely nothing outside these interviews to make judgments on. But since they know basically everything about the guy, including if he’d had discipline problems in college and high school what exactly is the point beyond coming across a total d-bags?

And then when things get contentious come contract time they’ll sit around the front office wondering why the guy doesn’t show any appreciation towards them.

48. southpaw79 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:42 PM

It is a typically “pull off script” type of question. If a player is just giving canned answers you need to shake up the questions and ask something that you know he has not prepared for. All things considered it was a polite question asking to confirm a positive about the players mother while just off base enough to get him to have to think about his response very carefully. Getting angry about it would be the worse response possible.

49. justintuckrule says: Feb 25, 2016 12:46 PM

Bad question but it served its purpose. Team wanted to find out if player was a blabber mouth.

50. genericcommenter says: Feb 25, 2016 12:51 PM

Maybe they are testing to see if these guys can be assertive. Being able to call someone out on asking a stupid question should be a desired trait.

51. genericcommenter says: Feb 25, 2016 12:52 PM

“That’s a weird question, bro.” or maybe “You’re not her type.”

52. In Teddy We Trust says: Feb 25, 2016 12:54 PM

What’s the problem? Trump has said many times that he’d like to date his daughter because she’s so hot, and somebody is going to elect him president.

53. quinzze says: Feb 25, 2016 12:58 PM

It was Mark Davis… I can picture Tommy boy with his bowl cut giggling to himself as he asked that question … Could be Tressman he looks like a creep … Or it could be Rex dressed like Rob with the wig , lots of options.

54. madhattter416 says: Feb 25, 2016 12:58 PM

jerseyshoregiant says:
    Feb 25, 2016 11:49 AM

You sir, have won best comment of the day!

55. theflyingdeuce says: Feb 25, 2016 1:20 PM

The right response is: “she’s a nice lady, but not nearly as hot as your mother.” ….then sit back and watch his response.

56. abninf says: Feb 25, 2016 1:27 PM

If there were a team named the Cougars we would know who it was.

57. fanofpft says: Feb 25, 2016 2:19 PM

These questions can tap into the mental makeup of players, or even the reactions to them can tell something.

I can’t believe all this time later Jeff Ireland is still getting run of the coals. Once again he repeated back what DB had offered up on his own. I believe the original question he asked was what line of work is your father in.

58. shaggytoodle says: Feb 25, 2016 2:29 PM

That’s crosses the line but he will probably hear that and much worse in the locker room and on the football field.

Many years ago on a solstice and a friend showed me the balance an egg on the tip… I went to Google to ask why…. so I typed “why does” and the autofill of common searches kicked in and the 3rd or 4th one was “does my mom turn me on”

59. corporatemediaprostitute says: Feb 25, 2016 2:39 PM

There is zero empirical or anecdotal support for the contention that asking these ridiculous questions taps into the “mental makeup” of players.

60. corporatemediaprostitute says: Feb 25, 2016 2:52 PM

I’m hearing it was actually Adam Schefter who asked the question. He then posted pics of her pap smear results.

61. rcali says: Feb 25, 2016 3:32 PM

Wait, wasn’t it true that Bryant’s mom had um, an interesting past? Wasn’t sure if it was drugs or something else. Cowboy fans, help us out here.

62. whodey83 says: Feb 25, 2016 3:47 PM

Yeah, ok to all you “tough guys” responses. “Uppercut” this and “punch in the face” that. You losers haven’t been in a fight in your lives and we’re talking about a job interview, not fight club.

63. gborange says: Feb 25, 2016 7:02 PM

They were just testing his temper. Everybody relax.

64. nflgtcfl says: Feb 25, 2016 7:25 PM

He wants to know if Stacey’s Mom does in fact have it going on.