Bears use franchise tag on Alshon Jeffery

Alshon Jeffery, Keenan Lewis AP

There’s still time for teams to use the franchise tag, but the fact that several teams are already using it is a sign about the negotiations.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Bears are tagging wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, keeping him off the market.

Of course, this was the expected move, though they were “actively and aggressively” negotiating this week.

Apparently those negotiations grew sedentary and passive.

They can still do a long-term deal with Jeffery until July 15, and many teams have gone that route in recent years with wide receivers. But this will keep him off the market for the short term, and guarantee the Bears have at least one proven commodity at the position this season.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Bears use franchise tag on Alshon Jeffery”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 26, 2016 2:44 PM

The guy I picked as the plum of the 2012 WR crop gets tagged. How come I’m not being paid a 6 figure salary for my expertise?

2. smurftacular says: Feb 26, 2016 2:50 PM

Now they just need him to make it through an entire season which is AJ’s biggest down side so far in his young career. Here’s to playing in 16 games in 2016!

3. bassplucker says: Feb 26, 2016 2:53 PM

Good. Pace is spooked by Alshon’s lack of availability last year, and rightfully so. 13-14 mil with the option to bail next year if he comes up short again is a whole lot easier to swallow than $30-40M guaranteed they’d be gambling with a long term deal. This is absolutely why the franchise tag exists and it’s good to see a Bears GM who finally seems to get how the game is played.

4. vikingforlife says: Feb 26, 2016 2:59 PM

Yeah, “actively and aggressively”. HA! Anybody who’s been listening to the BS that comes out of the Bear’s brass for let’s say, forever, knew that was more BS. Good luck, Alshon. I do hope you get paid. We now know the truth about poor Forte and the fact that the Bears didn’t even try to give him anything for all his years of service and loyalty, but hey, maybe things will be different for you…..

5. vikingf0rlife says: Feb 26, 2016 3:01 PM

Rats! With our garbage crop of receivers I was really hoping that he would be wearing purple this season. Teddy’s noodle arm combined with baby hands couldn’t even throw him a bomb anyways….oh well looks like my Vikes will continue to just be a mediocre franchise without a real QB 0r good WRs.

6. nels1959 says: Feb 26, 2016 3:08 PM

Viking for life worry about your own team and your child abusing star. You’re a clown

7. mcmeen0576 says: Feb 26, 2016 3:13 PM

The actual story is that they will be placing the tag on him Tuesday. Him and his agent are meeting in Indy over the weekend to try and finalize a deal. If a deal isn’t reached then the tag will be placed. Chicago media guys like Chris Emma have said that it will be placed Tuesday if the talks don’t come to a long term deal over the weekend.

8. conormacleod says: Feb 26, 2016 3:14 PM

thegreatgabbert says:
    Feb 26, 2016 2:44 PM
    ——–
    Exhibit A: Your Screen Name.

I rest my case your honor…

9. brenenostler says: Feb 26, 2016 3:15 PM

How is this not a “top” story?

10. shaggytoodle says: Feb 26, 2016 3:19 PM

thegreatgabbert says:
    Feb 26, 2016 2:44 PM
    _____________

Probably because just like Phil Emery Jeffery was the only one you hit on that year.

Thats like me saying I knew Wilson was going to be a great NFL QB… and the people that were worried abouthis size were foolish, because Wisconsin has the biggest Oline in college (along with pro talent in front of him).

You need to do it more than occasionally… and I am guessing your resume isn’t what it NFL teams would like.

11. ionlyrootforthewinningteam says: Feb 26, 2016 3:22 PM

This was inevitable, next story please.

12. jwcarlson says: Feb 26, 2016 3:28 PM

It certainly didn’t seem like he even wanted to play football last year. He wouldn’t play if he didn’t feel like he was absolutely 100%. Too scared to look bad in a contract year? Who knows… I just don’t know that he’s worth a long term deal at this point.

13. ktm300xcwe says: Feb 26, 2016 3:30 PM

——————————————————————–

Vikingf0rlife is a Packer fan pretending to be a Viking fan. He posts all over this site under a plethora of different names.

14. joefelicelli says: Feb 26, 2016 3:36 PM

The franchise tender is definitely not what it used to be. No one is giving up 2 1st round picks for a player any more with the new salary structure for rookie contracts.

But, I don’t think enough teams are willing to let the agent for a tendered player negotiate a new deal on the market AND compensation from that team. If a team gave Jeffery a new deal, and offered the Bears a 2nd and 3rd rounder in this year’s draft, would they take it? I would strongly consider it. Or a 2nd this year, and a 1st next year (equivalent of 2 second rounders if they traded during the draft)?

In the case of the Bears, they are so far from the talent level needed to compete for a SB that the extra 2 potential starters from the traded picks might be more valuable than having Jeffery on the roster.

Makes for an interesting debate if nothing else.

15. Teddy BH20's House of Noodles says: Feb 26, 2016 4:00 PM

———–
    Perhaps because the entire class was a weak WR class to begin with? The only real competition was the drunk named Blackmon. And the only reason Alshon fell is because of his perceived issues with regards to his weight and conditioning.

16. shaggytoodle says: Feb 26, 2016 4:28 PM

joefelicelli says:
    Feb 26, 2016 3:36 PM
    ______________________

I THINK the teams can renegotiate I don’t feel its set in stone that it has to be two 1sts, I recall when the Vikings signed Allen BUT that may have been a different kind of tag or different terms back then.

Seaatle might consider it, they have traded their first round pick away a couple of times, the last few seasosn, and maybe Jeffery would be a canidate for that. this year as they could use more talent at that position.

All though trading for Harvin, and Graham hasn’t panned out the best for them, they still get better talent than they would have drafting later on in the 1st. With a deep DL/OL class I think they will be looking to foritfy the trenches.

17. blairwalshisthenewrayfinkle says: Feb 26, 2016 4:52 PM

The Bears suck. Poor Alshon.

18. r502 says: Feb 26, 2016 5:02 PM

Kevin White never having played a snap makes it impossible to let Jeffery walk. Hindsight is of course 20/20, that being said it is laughable to think that White was a coin flip between he and Amari Cooper as the top receiver in last years draft.