Carson Wentz thankful for Joe Flacco blazing the FCS-NFL trail

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - FEBRUARY 25: Quarterback Carson Wentz #17 of North Dakota State speaks to the media during the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium on February 25, 2016 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images) Getty Images

There are plenty of questions to answer about North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz.

But he hopes the fact that fellow FCS-level quarterbacks such as Delaware’s Joe Flacco and Eastern Illinois’ Tony Romo have gone onto success in the NFL helps him ease those concerns.

“I think the success of guys like Joe Flacco or Tony Romo or, . . . the list goes on whether it’s quarterbacks or other position players,” he said. “There’s a lot of talented individuals at the FCS level that can play. Especially a guy like Flacco coming in really right away as a rookie and winning some ballgames I think shows that that adjustment can be made by special players for sure.”

Wentz led the Bison to a pair of FCS championships (as part of the school’s five-year run of titles), dominating at the lower level of play.

He said going to the Senior Bowl was the first step toward proving he belonged, saying: “I think I went in there and proved that I could handle it.”

Now, the jump will get even bigger, with him becoming a legitimate option for the No. 2 overall pick in Cleveland.

“First and foremost you got to win,” he said of the idea of becoming a franchise quarterback. “I think being a winner in the NFL, that will take you place for sure. I think for me coming out of North Dakota State, I think the track record speaks for itself as a winner. So when I think of a franchise quarterback not only do I think of the physical ability, but I think of being a winner, winning ballgames, taking command, being a leader. All those things come to mind.”

And since there is some recent evidence of quarterbacks being able to make the jump, Wentz’s job has gotten easier.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Carson Wentz thankful for Joe Flacco blazing the FCS-NFL trail”
  1. freedomofspeechyesway says: Feb 26, 2016 9:23 AM

There’s something to be said about not being surrounded by absolute studs on a college team that make some of qb’s look way better than they actually are. Flacco and Romo had to play the position throwing to a bunch of nobodies and being protected by a bunch of nobodies.

2. qdog112 says: Feb 26, 2016 9:25 AM

3. fatguystrangler says: Feb 26, 2016 9:26 AM

Air McNair helped change those misconception, too.

4. freedomofspeechyesway says: Feb 26, 2016 9:28 AM

“Let’s just pretend that Super Bowl MVP, Doug Williams and Steve McNair weren’t FBS QBs.”

It’s pretty obvious that he’s citing current players, not guys from 10 and 30 years ago.

But hey, bait on brotha.

5. realdealsteel says: Feb 26, 2016 9:40 AM

I’d take Wentz over Geoff.

6. jets4thewin says: Feb 26, 2016 10:00 AM

I’m sure the kid can play and lead a team, but he’s gotta work on his interviews and not say “i think” in every sentence…

7. medialovesthecowboys says: Feb 26, 2016 10:19 AM

I can’t believe this guy is getting considered as a first round pick. Loads of talent, but just log on to YouTube and even a casual fan can see he holds onto the ball way too long.

Take him in the third round and let him sit for two years. Cowboys, Patriots, Saints, Bengals, and Steelers should all give him a look.

8. mancave001 says: Feb 26, 2016 10:35 AM

Flacco went to UDEL, which is 50% bigger than ND State. ND State was Division II until 2004, though they have been very successful in FCS. That said, my alma mater and school close to Delaware is bigger than NDS (West Chester University of PA). I don’t know, Wentz could be real, but that level of competition really would worry me.

9. thespread00 says: Feb 26, 2016 10:55 AM

People forget that Flacco was at a D-I school at Pitt but couldn’t beat out Tyler Palko for the job so he transferred to a small school. Flacco should have been at a bigger college so I don’t really consider him a small school QB

10. jamaltimore says: Feb 26, 2016 3:32 PM

FLACCO is Superbowl MVP! Who cares where he went to school, just get that knee right and lead them black birds back to the playoffs this year!!!

11. dreamicus says: Feb 26, 2016 4:58 PM

thespread00 says:
    Feb 26, 2016 10:55 AM

He wasn’t given the chance to even contend for the job which is why he went to Delaware, which was close to his home and family. Worked out well for Flacco, not so good for Palko or Wandstat.