Paxton Lynch says a couple of teams were “spooked” by Combine medical exam

MIAMI, FL - DECEMBER 22: Paxton Lynch #12 of the Memphis Tigers reacts during the first half of the game against the Brigham Young Cougars at Marlins Park on December 22, 2014 in Miami, Florida.  (Photo by Rob Foldy/Getty Images) Getty Images

Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch came out of college with questions to answer about his mechanics and polish as a quarterback, but those weren’t the only ones that concerned teams at the Scouting Combine.

Lynch’s media session on Friday was delayed because his medical exam ran longer than expected. Lynch said he had suffered previous injuries to both knees and his shoulder, although he wasn’t aware of the one that turned up during his physical.

“When I hurt my AC joint my sophomore year against Cincinnati, I didn’t realize that I had a small fracture in my clavicle,” Lynch said, via NJ.com. “So that showed up on the x-ray. But it’s healed. There are pieces of bones just floating around in there. It spooked a team or two, so they requested an MRI.”

Lynch said he isn’t bothered by anything in his shoulder, although it will be one more thing for teams to add to their evaluation in the coming months. Of bigger consequence will surely be Lynch’s ability to run a pro offense, something he also addressed on Friday.

“The schemes are going to be a little bit different. I’m going to have to call the plays from the huddle,” Lynch said. “But that isn’t something I see as an issue as long as I work on it. I know some of the pass protections and things will be similar, just different terminology. As long as I get to work, I don’t see it as something I can’t handle.”

Lynch and the rest of the quarterbacks work out in Indianapolis on Saturday.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Paxton Lynch says a couple of teams were “spooked” by Combine medical exam”
  1. arktikman says: Feb 26, 2016 5:31 PM

Let me guess, one of the spooked teams was Dallas? Why would they be concerned about clavicles?

2. TeamBalco says: Feb 26, 2016 5:46 PM

Cardinals have found their back up for Carson.

3. getyourownname says: Feb 26, 2016 5:47 PM

On he one hand, I understand teams trying to be careful.

On the other hand, virtually all players get hurt in some way during the season and are expected to play hurt by the teams, so you have to wonder why some slight college injury would put off a team.

4. lightninhopkins says: Feb 26, 2016 5:52 PM

The draft of career backup and third string QB’s.

5. nnagi says: Feb 26, 2016 6:03 PM

Dan McGuire 2.0

6. donterrelli says: Feb 26, 2016 6:05 PM

I’m curious who pays for all this. Do the players have to pay their ways to and through the Combine? Does the NFL pay for the physicals and the MRIs?

7. PhD says: Feb 26, 2016 7:20 PM

You pay for it every time you support the NFL.

8. csszrr says: Feb 26, 2016 8:11 PM

i can call plays in the huddle as long as i work on it. sounds real encouraging.

9. SilentMajority says: Feb 26, 2016 10:14 PM

donterrelli says:
    Feb 26, 2016 6:05 PM

____________________

I imagine that teams likely have to pay a franchise fee that includes medical exams. Something like that for sure. It wouldn’t be much different than any employer paying for your drug test if it’s part of the employment process.

10. mongo3401 says: Feb 26, 2016 10:26 PM

NFL pays the entire tab if you are invited to the combine. Kid will be a nice 4 th round pick.

11. bigugly2005 says: Feb 26, 2016 11:44 PM

Damn I hope Jerrah drafts this kid. Wicked heart and a great field leader. Please, for once, make the right decision ‘Boys!

12. TylerHills says: Mar 3, 2016 12:18 PM

I’m spooked by the hair, mustache, and interview on NFL Network. What’s something people don’t know about you? “One time I was playing with a bee bee gun and lost my tooth.” I don’t see a whole lot of intelligence there.