Junior Galette fires agent, avoiding a conflict of interest

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptk0n2nlnthhzdjlmdq0y2fhm2ywmtm4zwniotfjztez1 AP

Another free agent who wasn’t hearing what he wanted to hear has fired his agent, this time eliminating a conflict of interest in the process.

According to Mike Jones of the Washington Post, linebacker Junior Galette has fired agent Peter Schaffer, putting any negotiations for a comeback on hold for at least five days. While these things happen reasonably often — Schaffer is Galette’s fourth agent — it’s interesting because the veteran agent also represents Washington General Manager Scot McCloughan.

“I just need to find an agent that’s on the same page as me,” Galette said.

He wants to return to Washington, and the team wants him back as well, as he comes back from a torn Achilles tendon.

But while that injury will depress the market, he didn’t want to sign the multi-year deal the team was offering which included low base salaries and incentives, preferring a one-year contract which would allow him to hit the market again in 2017. Of course, locking in a potential pass-rusher would have been a good piece of business for McCloughan, who brought Galette in last year on a one-year deal after he was bounced by the Saints.

“I know I’m coming off of the Achilles, but I’m doing great, I’m 27 years old, and I’ve seen older players come back from this injury and have great years,” Galette said. “My body fat is down to 8 percent, I’m eating and sleeping better than I ever have, I’ve matured and I’m hungrier than I’ve ever been. I know I can dominate again this season. . . .

“I just want a one-year deal, and it has to be a fair deal. I’m not putting a number out there, but it has to be fair.”

And since defining fair is subjective, Galette has chosen to work with someone who will look out for his interests exclusively.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
15 Responses to “Junior Galette fires agent, avoiding a conflict of interest”
  1. greg3117 says: Feb 29, 2016 9:16 AM

Junior, we’d love to have you back as well, for the right price.

2. troylok says: Feb 29, 2016 9:22 AM

What I think would be fair is for Galette to give the Redskins a discount on a one year contract since they were the only team willing to take a chance on him with his off the field issues and they stuck with through an injury eliminated his 2015 season.

3. key2heat says: Feb 29, 2016 9:32 AM

Redskins struggle to even sign below average free agents.

4. boobsanders says: Feb 29, 2016 9:33 AM

8% body fat? Sure…

5. mdd913 says: Feb 29, 2016 9:44 AM

I wouldn’t pay this guy in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. He’ll be in legal trouble again before the offseason is over, guaranteed.

6. thirdistheworrd says: Feb 29, 2016 9:52 AM

Key2heat– that is the first time anybody had heard or said that. Ever. It’s great that Redskins are finally living down their reputation for overpaying free agency busts, but you seem to have switched polarities very quickly.

7. 87hollywoodhorn says: Feb 29, 2016 9:57 AM

Yall know Athlon Sports ranked this guy the Second Best 4.3 D-End going into the 2015 season?

He is coming off a serious injury, and he does have character concerns, but the talent and production are there. 10+ sack seasons in 2013 and 2014.

I really wish he could come back to the Saints. On the field he produced and brought attitude. Redskins defense might’ve been so real if he hadn’t got hurt.

8. key2heat says: Feb 29, 2016 10:18 AM

@thirdistheword. In about 24 hours the redskins are going to pay cousins nearly 20 million bucks for ONE year. The guy has never beat a winning team. If that’s not overpaying then what is.

9. bigjdve says: Feb 29, 2016 10:29 AM

Being fair, him wanting a 1 year deal is actual very fair of him. The Redskins only wanted a 1 year deal last year. He has everything to prove so a 1 year deal is in his best interests.

That being stated, he should consider giving the Redskins a break as they paid him last year for not playing, it seems only right that the year he is out there tearing it up trying to earn a contract should be here.

Then again he will look really funny with that Redskins tattoo on another team.

10. dg0122 says: Feb 29, 2016 10:58 AM

it’s not like whatever Galette makes comes off the GM’s salary…why is that a conflict?

11. sb44champs says: Feb 29, 2016 11:03 AM

Fear the weird, not beard..

12. maestro1899 says: Feb 29, 2016 11:22 AM

It’s funny to hear all of the people defending him or wanting him back “at the right price”.

I guess none of “yall” have learned from the Greg Hardy fiasco, who, by the way, is available for pretty much the veteran minimum.

13. skinsprinting says: Feb 29, 2016 11:38 AM

Key2heat, you clearly do not understand the quarterback market in todays NFL.
    Lets face it there are more than just a few teams that will ” over pay ” for a starting quarterback.

14. sbdt says: Feb 29, 2016 1:37 PM