Kids these days, they don’t have a problem with Cam Newton

Cam Newton AP

There might be plenty of people who don’t care for the way league MVP Cam Newton dances, or poses, or pouts after losses.

But there is a group of people who don’t seem to be offended — his soon-to-be peers.

Via Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review, a number of incoming NFL players interviewed at the Scouting Combine said they have no problem with the apparent fun the Panthers quarterback has on the field.

That’s not my style, but there’s no one like it,” Georgia defensive tackle Chris Mayes said. “He’s a trendsetter. Everybody repeats what he does.”

Of course, Tennessee moms and many sports writers won’t approve, but Newton has largely been able to win over people, including his former rivals.

“I ain’t got nothing against him even though he went to Auburn. That’s one of the few Auburn players I do like,” Alabama defensive end D.J. Pettway said. “I like the way he carries himself. I like the things he does no matter if someone calls him flamboyant. That’s just him.”

Newton himself invites some of the attention, by being willing to be larger-than-life in a sport that values uniformity to the point of conformity. But much of the conflict over his personality is probably as much young-old as black-white.

And the fact that kids these days are OK with that is probably the best indicator that he’s not going to change any time soon.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
49 Responses to “Kids these days, they don’t have a problem with Cam Newton”
  1. magnusthe1st says: Feb 29, 2016 10:25 AM

Cam Newton: 2016 first place loser.

2. rogerdw66 says: Feb 29, 2016 10:27 AM

3. TeamBalco says: Feb 29, 2016 10:27 AM

Sounds like you want KillaCam as the league villain.

Won’t happen.

4. bigjdve says: Feb 29, 2016 10:38 AM

If Cam changes it is going to be because of the damage his actions does to his wallet.

Before the Superbowl, during the season, and during the playoffs I seem to remember alot of Cam commercials – especially those about integrity and doing things the right way.

I don’t seem to see any Cam related commercials anymore. I am guessing that companies that want spokespeople don’t like stars that pout and admit to quitting representing them.

I think he is going to look at that, and that will have more of an impact that what anyone thinks of him. He is still young so he has the ability to determine what his priorities are.

It will be interesting to see how he plays it.

5. magnumpimustache says: Feb 29, 2016 10:40 AM

so your saying that incoming rookies who want to be drafted don’t want to make any negative comments about the current league MVP?

Hard Hitting News and Conclusions…….News at 11

6. silvernblacksabbath says: Feb 29, 2016 10:42 AM

Did they ask these players if they enjoy watching him pout when things don’t go his way???? :)

7. maiphatdong says: Feb 29, 2016 10:42 AM

Cam might be a future team mate, of course they aren’t going to bash him, ask again once they get drafted by an NFL team.

8. magnumpimustache says: Feb 29, 2016 10:42 AM

rogerdw66 says:
    Feb 29, 2016 10:27 AM

___________

If you can’t see the difference between a Cam Newton in your face dance and a Gronk Spike you are older than 63.

9. awdlmd says: Feb 29, 2016 10:42 AM

All you kids get off my lawn.

10. Aespo24 says: Feb 29, 2016 10:44 AM

I’m so sick of seeing Cam being vindicated as this terrible person? You do realize he is one of the most charitable athletes in the NFL, and devotes countless hours to the community. The man is more of a role model than a narcissist. In a world full of greed and politics he shows that at the end of the day, football is a sport, we play this sport for fun. All he is doing is having fun. People need to step off.

11. niners816 says: Feb 29, 2016 10:45 AM

It’s not that people are offended by what he does, he’s just annoying and a sore loser. I was a huge Cam fan when he was playing at Auburn, and even the first couple years when he started in the NFL. This past year is when I found him to be nothing more than a big, annoying crybaby. He converts a 2 & 1 and signals a first down and starts dancing like he scored a td. It’s 3 feet, dude, calm down. As if that’s not annoying enough, he runs up and down the field on the sidelines acting like a turd. Then in the SuperBowl, he doesn’t jump on the fumble, claims him being black is why people don’t get him, and was the BIGGEST baby when they lost. I’m not offended at all by Cam, I just think he’s an annoying crybaby.

12. elvoid says: Feb 29, 2016 10:51 AM

Of all the guys in the NFL to have “problems” with, it would seem Cam Newton should be pretty far down the list.

I’ll admit to preferring the “act like you’ve been there before” kind of player – but I don’t have a problem with Cam worth worrying about.

13. davefromtheburgh says: Feb 29, 2016 10:56 AM

There’s a point when he becomes better known for his celebrations than his play. I’m not offended by what he does, and it frankly doesn’t mean much to me one way or the other. But, considering what happened in the Super Bowl, he has higher proiorities than celebrating at this point.

14. broncos727 says: Feb 29, 2016 10:56 AM

a sport that values uniformity to the point of conformity. – you mean a team sport?

15. sb44champs says: Feb 29, 2016 10:58 AM

Kids these days, they don’t have a problem with Cam Newton
    ===========================
    They don’t yet know any better lol… Once they get scammed by Cam, they will sing a different tune…

16. mogogo1 says: Feb 29, 2016 11:01 AM

The celebrations are fine. What isn’t fine is Cam not being able to take it coming back on him. That street runs both ways.

17. collectordude says: Feb 29, 2016 11:01 AM

The ONLY thing that matters is the way you play on the field.

18. granadafan says: Feb 29, 2016 11:03 AM

These kids keep playing on my lawn.

19. sevenup3000 says: Feb 29, 2016 11:03 AM

So where is the report about Manizel partying in Miami after his case gets handed to the grand jury?

20. illnagas says: Feb 29, 2016 11:04 AM

“But much of the conflict over his personality is probably as much young-old as black-white.”

just stop it with that nonsense. Cam is a jerk. There’s nothing else to say about it. It doesn’t matter how old you are or what color you are, if you knew someone like that on a personal level who reveled in his own mediocrity, showed off constantly, laughed in other people’s faces when they lost, you’d know he was a jerk. Everyone knows that. He’s the dictionary definition of a jerk. It’s not a matter of being offended and clutching my pearls. I don’t care. But he’s a jerk and people shouldn’t make excuses for him

21. bubbahotepp says: Feb 29, 2016 11:04 AM

Wonderful. Well, he can dance faster now, since he doesn’t have the weight of a trophy holding him down.

22. kevpft says: Feb 29, 2016 11:08 AM

The response to Newton is nothing unusual. If you show off that much and pout that much, then you have to win it all to have any hope of not getting pilloried. (And look at cases like Tom Brady – he wins it all 4 times, and still gets criticized/made fun of for his behavior.)

Add in the extra scrutiny a QB always gets, and this response would be inevitable for anyone.

He doesn’t seem to be a bad guy at all. But this behavior/response dynamic is completely predictable.

23. themattstapiece says: Feb 29, 2016 11:13 AM

You should not have an emotional response to Cam Newton. He plays football.

24. tim2200 says: Feb 29, 2016 11:15 AM

rogerdw66 says:
    Feb 29, 2016 10:27 AM

There seems to be a double standard when it comes to Gronk, and I don’t think it is an age thing. I’m 63, and white and I love Cam’s enthusiasm which doesn’t seem to be fueled by alcohol and E.<<

30+ year old black guy Aqib Talib accused Fig of "quitting" during the Super Bowl.
    No one ever accused Gronk of quitting in any game.
    Gronk also doesn't do 1 minute look at me dances in endzone or take group selfies on the sidelines with his teammates while the game is going on.
    ADDRESS CAM'S BEHAVIOR, Rog.
    Stop making a black/white argument to excuse away Newton's lack of professionalism.

25. jerry944 says: Feb 29, 2016 11:15 AM

Who cares..kids in the 60s didnt have a problem with the beatles long hair

26. kwf484 says: Feb 29, 2016 11:16 AM

Cam Newton cries like a baby when he loses…deal with it…

27. metalman5150 says: Feb 29, 2016 11:24 AM

Trendsetters aint nothing but marketeers.
    You want to be a real influence on others, stop selling them your garbage be a trendkiller.

28. hahalolrofl says: Feb 29, 2016 11:39 AM

Aespo24 says:
    Feb 29, 2016 10:44 AM

The man is more of a role model than a narcissist.

————–

No, Cam is far more of a narcissist than a role model. When the going is good, it is all smiles, dancing, just gravy. When he gets beaten, he pouts. When asked about his effort, he is indignant. When under pressure, he has no composure and bails out.

Maybe you can chalk that up to maturity. If it is a maturity issue, then he isnt ready to be a role model.

However, we do know this guy has a massive ego. MVP gold socks, names his kid Chosen, gives to charity not out of heart but out of plenty.

29. abninf says: Feb 29, 2016 11:54 AM

Aespo24 says:
    Feb 29, 2016 10:44 AM
    I’m so sick of seeing Cam being vindicated as this terrible person?
    ====================================

I’ve never heard anyone say he was a “terrible person”. It’s his over the top need for extra attention and his admission he did not attempt to recover a football in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl because he didn’t want to get hurt, all the while putting his Superman act on display.

30. egomaniac247 says: Feb 29, 2016 11:55 AM

My sense is that Cam is legitimately a nice person off the field. And that he’s a legitimately good franchise QB in the NFL.

I also sense that he likes attention and likes praise heaped upon him. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Literally the only problem I have is that if you love the stuff above, you can’t act like a child who had their toy taken away when things don’t go your way.

It’s hilarious to watch him run all the way up and down the sidelines doing the Hulk Hogan hand-to-the ear gimmick when it’s evident they’re going to win but then watch him pout and put a towel over his head when they lose.

31. blue18hutthutt says: Feb 29, 2016 11:58 AM

Cam is a coward and shows his true colors when the going gets tough and will be the first to pout and act like a classless, petulant child

I’ll always remember that moment a few years ago when he got a garbage TD with his team being blown out against the Giants on primetime and he couldn’t wait to do his pathetic Superman celebration. That is Cam in a nutshell

How about last year and his fake tough guy act? Talking smack and taunting defenders while backing up, being conscious at all times where the ref is?

Why is he getting all this criticism? Because he invites it on himself. His priority is being an “entertainer” and promoting his brand. If you’re going to invite all this attention on yourself then be prepared to deal with the otherside of that coin

Can’t have it both ways

32. Let's Complain About Cam Newton says: Feb 29, 2016 12:00 PM

collectordude says:
    Feb 29, 2016 11:01 AM

The ONLY thing that matters is the way you play on the field.

——-

Amen.

All the “wahhhh maturity” garbage in the world doesn’t matter unless Cam’s not being a professional in the gym, the film room, or in the locker room.

Also it’s amusing to me how many people think whether or not he’s a good role model matters. Why are you depending on a pro athlete to teach your kids how to act?

33. tindeaux says: Feb 29, 2016 12:02 PM

dabbed all he wants as long as no sb ring for him. i’m good!

34. nyneal says: Feb 29, 2016 12:10 PM

Of course kids today don’t have a problem with Newton and other NFL players acting like imbeciles. It’s because they have grown up watching this stuff for their whole lives.
    I coached kids for many years in Little League and CYO basketball and I could see a steady decline in their sportsmanship and a steady rise in their showmanship, trying to emulate their idols in the pros.
    It’s not an accident that trash talking and self aggrandizing by the pros would filter down to kids.
    Newton grew up watching this crap too, so I really don’t blame him either. But it would be very refreshing if just once after he scored a TD, he’d hand the ball to an official and then run to the bench and celebrate with his teammates instead of acting like an idiot craving attention.
    The thing these guys don’t get is the team is more important they are. But they know that endorsements are there for the taking, and ESPN, the NFL Network, Fox, CBS, and ABC are waiting with baited breath to hire them when their careers are over. They gravitate to these types of players, which is why we get stuck watching the likes of Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp, Shannon Sharpe, Deion Sanders, and so many others who were just like Newton, garble their way through analysis of the players and games today.
    Think about those guys I mentioned. Why anyone would place any merit in anything they say is beyond me. Especially when it comes to class and dignity.

35. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 29, 2016 12:11 PM

Dumb is dumb. You can’t dress it up.

36. vnhalen says: Feb 29, 2016 12:21 PM

It will be interesting to see how he plays it.

——————————————————————

this is because football season is over. you do not see any football commercials now. not even peyton in the poppa johns commercials. nothing to do with companies backing away from him. come September, he will be back on screen. probably more than ever.

37. nhpats says: Feb 29, 2016 12:27 PM

If I were a Panthers fan I would be offended that down 6 points in the SB he was jumped away from his own fumble like it was on fire.

38. vicnocal says: Feb 29, 2016 12:28 PM

Are these the same kids who talk about needing a “safe space” on their college campus?

Kids are dumb.

39. awdlmd says: Feb 29, 2016 12:29 PM

I am quite certain that Cam gives precisely zero you-know-whats what the oldsters think about him. The criticism is not affecting him in any material way. 1st overall pick, starter from day one, nice contract, endorsements, MVP, none of the pearl clutching is slowing these things down.

40. edelmanfanclub says: Feb 29, 2016 12:52 PM

What do you define as kids? Im 23 and think hes a great player but a big baby and a sore loser who has no class. Like cmon dude, you dance the macarena after every touchdown then tell teams to stop it if they dont like it. Then when u get stopped u cry like a wuss and throw everyone under bus. Dive on the fumble you dropped weenie!!

41. scrotiemcb says: Feb 29, 2016 1:00 PM

I think there is only sympathy and concern for Cam in the Rocky Mountain region. His 120 minutes against the World Champs have been an epic nightmare. He’s been too busy removing turf from his face mask and turning the ball over to be anything less than a perfect gentleman.

42. dohczeppelin says: Feb 29, 2016 1:05 PM

Eh, I think there were definitely a couple of instances of poor sportsmanship but getting crushed in the Superbowl (largely due to his poor performance) and subsequently being mocked by the national media for a month or two afterwards will probably go a long way to humble him.

He’s a young guy. Young guys are typically not the best decision makers (speaking from personal experience). Many of the great QBs from the last generation weren’t particularly great sportsman early in their careers either (Elway, Kelly, etc.). I suspect all of this has been a wake up call for him and he will tone it down a little over the coming years. As another commenter alluded to, being a highly polarized figure will hurt his opportunities for endorsements and other off-the-field interests. That alone will probably cause him to reconsider his bragging and subsequent pouting.

Then again, you never know. Some guys just live their whole life in a bubble. This is the guy who wears gold custom-made “MVP” shoes.

43. whatjusthapped says: Feb 29, 2016 1:17 PM

Working in an industry that is affiliated with sports marketing, I had an associate (who knows far more about this than I ever will), tell me that Cam left about 100 million in sponsorship money on the table when he acted like a baby in the aftermath of the game.

So when Cam tells us that’s who he is, I’ll take him at his word knowing he is the one who is missing out on the dough.

44. mysterytonite says: Feb 29, 2016 1:37 PM

I don’t doubt for a second that cam isn’t a nice man, his charitable contributions speak volumes. But so does his self promoting narcissistic behavior. It’s as if he has to do all of these incredible things to cover up his man child complex that he can’t/wont get over. It’s tragic in a way. I love what he does on the field and even afterwards by giving he ball to kids, but the constant showboating and arrogance has shown everything that you don’t want our youth emulating in pee wee sports. If can cared as much as he says he does he would put his childish antics away and become a man. Who knows, one day a kid might run over his kid in a game and do the superman. I wonder what he would say then?

45. zen619 says: Feb 29, 2016 2:56 PM

bigjdve says:

A better guess would be that it’s because football season is over, which is why you also aren’t seeing the Manning and Rodgers commercials. That happens every year when the season is over, regardless of the player.

46. joetoronto says: Feb 29, 2016 6:06 PM

These are the same kids that won’t get off their arse to do manual labour at $15.00/hr

The future looks bleak.

47. weekendatberniemadoffs says: Mar 1, 2016 11:31 AM

27 year old black guy Aqib Talib also got wore out by 30+ year old Steve Smith a couple seasons back in Charlotte so often during a game he quit and had to #ICEUP, son.

48. lapantherfan86 says: Mar 1, 2016 12:41 PM

Just change “Kids” to “Rationally Thinking People” in the title.

49. xxbarklikeadogxx says: Mar 1, 2016 6:36 PM

How many baby mamas will Camy have? Vegas puts the over and under at 8. Thoughts?