Albert Haynesworth says brain aneurysms almost killed him

A. Haynesworth AP

Seven years ago, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was the biggest name in free agency, signing a nine-figure deal that Washington would send through the shredder long before Haynesworth got half of the money. Two years ago, Haynesworth had far bigger problems than being fired by an NFL team.

Via Paul Kuharsky of ESPN.com, Haynesworth said on 104.5 The Zone in Nashville on Thursday that he suffered from brain aneurysms in 2014.

“Nobody really knows, I almost died,” Haynesworth said. “I had two brain aneurysms that were nearly rupturing. I went and talked to my doctor in Florida, and he was like, ‘Man, your blood pressure is through the roof. I’m going to admit you.’ They did a lot of tests and found the aneurysm that was rupturing at that point.”

Haynesworth spent 11 days in intensive care after surgery to repair the problem.

“I’ve been OK,” Haynesworth said. “It’s really hard to remember, and I’m not saying that just because of the concussion thing. A lot of things, I just can’t remember. I don’t feel as sharp as I used to as far as problem-solving and answering questions and things. It sounds crazy, but sometimes, writing my own name, I kind of forget the signature of how I normally write. Or sending long texts, my words get backwards. It’s crazy, but hopefully as time goes on, I get better.”

Haynesworth said he doesn’t know how the issues arose.

“They said I could have had it, but they said football definitely didn’t help,” Haynesworth said. “I don’t really know. I have no idea. I’m not a doctor. I don’t want to blame it on football, and I don’t want to say, ‘Hey, it didn’t have anything to do with it.'”

However it came to be, it’s a serious health situation that seems to be under control. For all his flaws, Haynesworth was a dominant force for a few years at a position that exposes the human body to plenty of abuse.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
19 Responses to “Albert Haynesworth says brain aneurysms almost killed him”
  1. orivar says: Mar 3, 2016 6:44 PM

Now that’s scary.

And for all his flaws I’m pretty sure that Haynesworth’s bank account is still pretty solid. I would of took that deal too.

2. nfceastisbeast says: Mar 3, 2016 6:45 PM

His words get backwards? Who’s he kidding ? Is he part of the concussion plaintiff group?

3. key2heat says: Mar 3, 2016 6:45 PM

Well, I think ol’ Dan the man Snyder is still paying for Haynesworth health insurance with the WORST contract in NFL history. Dan is a water head.

4. jag1959 says: Mar 3, 2016 7:05 PM

“I don’t want to blame it on football, and I don’t want to say, ‘Hey, it didn’t have anything to do with it”

So could have been football, could have been 6,852 cheeseburgers too many?
    All kidding aside, no one should have to go through life brain addled. Hope he makes a full recovery

5. mrjdon says: Mar 3, 2016 7:27 PM

Albert Haynesworth was selfish and made it a point to let everyone know he was only about himself.

I am sorry he is sick.

However, I don’t think he will find much sympathy from his fans because he went out of his way to make sure he didn’t have any.

6. schraged1 says: Mar 3, 2016 7:54 PM

Albert Haynesworth should never have been allowed to play another down after stomping on the Line mans head in Dallas..

7. lemmetalkwouldya says: Mar 3, 2016 8:10 PM

Sorry, Albert, but to get a concussion, you have to actually PLAY the game, not just cash the checks.

8. buckstalion12965 says: Mar 3, 2016 8:12 PM

Perhaps that’s his excuse for lying on the field like a slug during a play, stomping a player’s face, groping a waitress, and stealing $41M from the Redskins.

9. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Mar 3, 2016 8:18 PM

Go away.

10. senatorblutarsky says: Mar 3, 2016 8:28 PM

I think it was the Whoppers and Big Macs that nearly killed him.

11. classiefreddieblassie says: Mar 3, 2016 8:35 PM

You never want to doubt anybody when they make a claim like this, but with the history Fat Albert had, you have to wonder if he is setting that ball up on the tee of the concussion lawsuits. This guy had one good season in the NFL, which happened to be a contract year. Before and after that, his notoriety came from stomping on other players heads, being the pain in Mike Shanahan’s behind and crashing his car. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I cannot.

12. thenoshows says: Mar 3, 2016 8:36 PM

Stay well Albert.

13. 1standinches says: Mar 3, 2016 11:05 PM

His laziness killed him.

14. steelerdynasty2010 says: Mar 3, 2016 11:10 PM

well if it was football, definitely didnt happen in the last 3-4 years of his career

15. rcali says: Mar 3, 2016 11:11 PM

He should try working in a coal mine. My lasting remembrance of this guy will be him laying on the ground during the play and watching it. Still, hope he gets better and donates a lot of money to causes like his to help others out.

16. amaf21 says: Mar 4, 2016 6:49 AM

I’d rather club baby seals than root for this clown.

17. jayhawk6 says: Mar 4, 2016 7:24 AM

It is hard to have even the merest shred of sympathy for a dirty, underachieving selfish goon, but here goes:
    Sorry to hear about your troubles…find a soul and pray for redemption.

18. atthemurph says: Mar 4, 2016 9:27 AM

“I don’t feel as sharp as I used to as far as problem-solving and answering questions and things. It sounds crazy, but sometimes, writing my own name, I kind of forget the signature of how I normally write. Or sending long texts, my words get backwards. ”

So in other words, he’s as good as new!

19. whenwilliteverend says: Mar 4, 2016 12:47 PM

Wait…Albert Haynesworth actually has a brain?