Josh Norman in no hurry to sign the franchise tag

Josh Norman AP

Four players have already signed their franchise tags, but Panthers cornerback Josh Norman is in no rush to be the fifth.

Norman told the Charlotte Observer that he wants a long-term contract and isn’t particularly interested in signing the one-year, $13.952 million contract that comes with the franchise tag.

“I’m comfortable where I’m at. Trust and believe,” Norman said. “If I’ve waited this long I can wait on them some more. I got no problem waiting. Waiting got me where I need to be at the end of the day. Trust me: waiting is my specialty.”

The Panthers made Norman an offer of about $7 million a year last year, but he decided to bet on himself and hit free agency. That turned out to be a wise move, as he’s slated to get more than twice as much money this year.

“I’m talking about a number that defines and displays what I do each and every day; the work that I put in on the football field,” Norman said. “Now, we’re not talking about the work I put in on the practice field. That work is just extra. We’re not even talking about that. You don’t even have to put that in. But on Sundays? That is the work. That’s what we do. And that demands a certain number. People pay to see that. People pay to see the show. Why am I any different than someone else when I’m trying to get mine? I’m not.”

And if the Panthers don’t give Norman the kind of offer he’s looking for, he’ll wait.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Josh Norman in no hurry to sign the franchise tag”
  1. seatownballers says: Mar 5, 2016 1:30 PM

13.9 mill for a top 5 of all time. Lol

2. tjacks7 says: Mar 5, 2016 1:32 PM

This dudes ego is giving Cam’s a run for its money.

3. PFT-made-me-change-my-handle says: Mar 5, 2016 1:33 PM

This guy’s a peach!

Looks like last year will probably be his best by a long shot.

4. hahalolrofl says: Mar 5, 2016 1:33 PM

We all forget this guy is in the top five all time. He makes champ look like a chump and soon he will make neon Deion all burnt out.

Delusional.

5. tjacks7 says: Mar 5, 2016 1:34 PM

Is it true that the Panthers had to install double doors throughout their facility so that their players heads could squeeze thru?

6. hahalolrofl says: Mar 5, 2016 1:36 PM

Oh he also cried enough at sb50 that the niners do not have to water the grass in the offseason. It was already soft but this guy made it a marsh.

7. snake11s says: Mar 5, 2016 1:36 PM

Smart move on his part. Get all you can from the owners, it’s a business and they will toss you aside when deemed invaluable.
    The game has changed to passing attacks and there are few like him who can shut it down. Get your payday.

8. captatl says: Mar 5, 2016 1:36 PM

I hope the Panthers cave. He had a good year. I’d like to buy him for what he is worth and sell him for what he THINKS he is worth!

9. TB12RALLYCRY says: Mar 5, 2016 1:38 PM

Pierre Paul wasnt in a hurry either…….look how that helped him……….

10. goldfisheater says: Mar 5, 2016 1:40 PM

Is there any benefit to not signing the franchise tender?

11. rhamrhoddy says: Mar 5, 2016 1:42 PM

Youngest all-time top 5 in history!

12. PFT-made-me-change-my-handle says: Mar 5, 2016 1:42 PM

snake11s says:
    Mar 5, 2016 1:36 PM
    ————————–
    They’ve already tagged him. Not a lot he can do except hold out. We’ve seen how that goes these days.

13. Mr. Wright 212 says: Mar 5, 2016 1:46 PM

Larry Brown, Jr.

Put him in a blitz-heavy system like Bowles or Rex where he has to play man more than 20% of the time and see how much he’s chirping then.

14. acham83 says: Mar 5, 2016 1:48 PM

Norman didn’t blow his fricking hand off..poor comparison. He needs to get the money while he can.

Why do fans care about a good player getting paid what the market rate is. He could blow his knee out in the preseason and be done for the rest of his life

15. painsyndicate says: Mar 5, 2016 1:48 PM

Reminds me of the Seahawks a few years back. Starting to see a pattern.

16. surfinbird1 says: Mar 5, 2016 1:59 PM

Another Diva is born.

17. ytrappin504 says: Mar 5, 2016 2:05 PM

This guy is a queen

18. paulieorkid says: Mar 5, 2016 2:32 PM

So far, Norman is mirroring Step One of JPP’s plan: stall on signing Franchise Tag.

Hopefully, Norman won’t go to Step Two: recklessly playing with explosives with one’s bare hands.

19. arpy911 says: Mar 5, 2016 2:32 PM

Tiny Tears!

20. doubleogator says: Mar 5, 2016 2:38 PM

But he does look really intelligent in the pic…

21. jryanwood says: Mar 5, 2016 2:40 PM

Practice? We talkin’ bout practice man… Not a game! Practice!

22. nenlain says: Mar 5, 2016 2:43 PM

T.O. Junior? Is that you?

23. thetruuf says: Mar 5, 2016 2:58 PM

Can’t blame the man, if he signs he looses his leverage since $14mil isnt that much for a premier CB who’ll be 29 next season and have to prove himself all over… going on 30.

24. greenbaychicksarefat says: Mar 5, 2016 3:00 PM

Over – Rated

25. linvillegorge says: Mar 5, 2016 3:01 PM

Hes already said he won’t hold out. The Panthers aren’t going to make him the top paid CB in the game and I think that’s what he wants. Looks like he’ll be a Panther one more year under the tag and then hit the open market at 30 years old where some desperate bottom dweller will likely way overpay for him looking to make a big splash. Best of luck, Josh. Hope you ball out again this coming season.

26. rageviral says: Mar 5, 2016 3:04 PM

Overated contract year wonder. Not surprised he’s holding out for more guaranteed money. Would like to see him on an average d playing man coverage 70% of the time.

27. raidernation37 says: Mar 5, 2016 3:29 PM

“Now, we’re not talking about the work I put in on the practice field. That work is just extra. We’re not even talking about that. You don’t even have to put that in. But on Sundays? That is the work”

Really? Because every great who has ever played has said what you do on the practice field,weight room and in the offseason is what matters. This dude just does not get it and he’s a chump just like his buddy $cam

28. nflviewer says: Mar 5, 2016 4:38 PM

TB12RALLYCRY says:
    Mar 5, 2016 1:38 PM
    Pierre Paul wasnt in a hurry either…….look how that helped him……….

====================

Why do so many of you believe the crazy nonsense that signing the franchise tag would have protected Pierre-Paul?

Sports contracts void (cancel) when the player suffers an injury not caused by the sport. Had Pierre-Paul signed before his accident, the Giants would simply have voided the contract.

29. captainwhodat says: Mar 5, 2016 5:35 PM

And if the Panthers don’t give Norman the kind of offer he’s looking for, he’ll wait…as should the Panthers.
    Hate to say it, but the posters here who think 15M is chicken feed are delusional…

30. sidepull says: Mar 5, 2016 5:55 PM

Its gonna hurt one day when the arrogant fool falls. Hes good but he is not as good as he thinks he is.

31. dtroxallday says: Mar 5, 2016 6:00 PM

No one thinks 15M is chicken feed. It looks the exact opposite to me. Everyone thinks 15M is absurd…for this particular clown.

32. carltonsaves says: Mar 5, 2016 6:51 PM

I’m not a Carolina fan or hater, but it’s amusing to see everyone rip players for not taking a home town discount or waiting out for more money, yet if you are in this situation at your job, you’d be doing the same thing. To us it’s a game, to them, it’s a long term investment (hopefully if they use the money right) for their family. Knowing they can be pushed to the curb by the team, why not get what you can while you’re value is high?

33. skinsdiehard says: Mar 5, 2016 10:46 PM

This dude is setting himself for a hard fall. He’s not likable one bit. Fans like to see worthy players get paid. This guy will get no empathy from fans. Twisted.

34. theheyseed says: Mar 6, 2016 6:16 AM

Man the Panthers sure have squandered a lot of goodwill. A lot of causal fans were pulling for them last year because they seemed likable.
    I think that they will have a lot harder go of things since the superbowl meltdown. Stories like this just confirm the perception of spoiled players who had a run of good luck.

35. Let's Complain About Cam Newton says: Mar 6, 2016 9:03 AM

Gettleman knows it’s a business as does Josh Norman. Fair is fair.

But just know that G-man isn’t going to blink first.

36. jgedgar70 says: Mar 7, 2016 4:32 PM

I still say that if he wants $15M, and he’s getting $14M under the tag, a couple of elementary school kids could work this money out. Do it, DG!