Roddy White tees off on Kyle Shanahan

AP

After the Falcons started the 2015 season 4-0, receiver Roddy White complained about his role in the offense. Now that he has been cut, White has opted for even more candor, specifically in the direction of offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

“What [Shanahan] expected from me and what I expected from him was totally different,” White said Saturday at the UAB alumni football game, via Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com. “I expected to play a bigger role in the offense, and that’s what I wanted to do. But he didn’t have that in his desires. He had other people that he wanted to play my role, so he wanted me to be out of the [offense]. That was the whole thing. And it is what it is. I can’t do nothing about it. I can’t change his way of thinking or anything like that. I can just do what I did, which was just handle my business and get myself prepared for this moment.”

Some think the Shanahan offense was too complex. White disagrees, sort of.

“No it wasn’t,” White said, “besides the things [Shanahan] was doing in making six variations to one route. It was just episodes throughout the game where I think he mismanaged things and screwed up and we didn’t have the opportunity to win the game, which, I thought, was on him as the offensive coordinator. It wasn’t sound football, but it was things that he was used to doing and things we weren’t used to doing as an offense, and it literally cost us like two games.”

Did White share his concerns with Shanahan?

“Man, I talked to him just about every day about everything,” White said. “But it’s like, ‘If I’m talking to you and it’s not getting no better, what do you expect from me?’ He kept trying to tell you all what he’s trying to do with the offense, but for the last 11 weeks of the season, we didn’t do anything. We didn’t turn no curves. The first four weeks were good. We went out there and scored a bunch of points and started off strong. But other than that, we didn’t do nothing the rest of the year.”

It’s somewhat surprising White didn’t say more publicly than he did during the season, given the extent of his frustration. Still, some think that White’s public comments (and private frustrations) after the team started off so strong helped create a negative environment, which in turn contributed to the offense’s struggles.

With age already working against him, White’s words could make a new team leery about signing him. After all, what happens if he’s not happy with his role in his next team?

73 responses to “Roddy White tees off on Kyle Shanahan

1. Luckily for shanahan, nepotism goes a long way at the NFL. I’m certain that if he gets canned by the Falcons, he will end up working for game ops at the league office. Or maybe rich Mckay can get him a job at the league like he did for his son.

2. Luckily for shanahan, nepotism goes a long way at the NFL. I’m certain that if he gets canned by the Falcons, he will end up working for game ops at the league office. Or maybe rich Mckay can get him a job at the league like he did for his son.

3. This is totally random and off topic but as I ponder what to type I scroll with my mouse and glance over at the right hand side of the screen…..I am Cait advertisement huh? You would have to literally pay me to watch the disgusting garbage. I don’t know how many football fans you are going to get to watch that show but you may want to consider advertising elsewhere.

4. Shanahan is an idiot….if it wasn’t for his daddy he would be coaching so high school team…..White is only expressing what everyone already knows…this will not hurt him from finding another team…his age might….

5. Good riddance. Old veterans that can no longer contribute on the field are sometimes worth having around just to mentor the young guys. So the best place for Roddy White is as far away from the Falcons facility as humanly possible. Don’t let the door hit you in the …. Roddy.

6. Maybe Shanahan’s problem was he couldn’t understand White.
    White needs to go back to college and learn how to speak English instead of sounding like an idiot.

7. You guys did not pay attention in history class. There are no federal laws protecting gay people from discrimination. It is up to individual states. Georgia and the rest of the South does not choose to protect gays. Gay marriage was legalized by Supreme Court just recently and gay sex was legalized in 2003 by the Supreme Court. Unless the NFL has a rule saying you cant ask if someone is gay, the Falcons did nothing wrong legally.

8. I expected Roddy to make some kind of public comments about Shanahan’s train wreck handling of the Falcons offense, but I hoped that he’d hold off until he got signed by another team.

9. I’m not sure why but there is something about people using double negatives that makes my blood boil. Didnt most of these guys supposedly go to college (not that it should take a college education in order for a person to know how to speak properly)?

10. magikskillz says:
    Mar 5, 2016 9:59 PM
    You guys did not pay attention in history class.
    ——————–

History changes fast, man. Some of the guys posting here probably had their last history class in the 1950s. Dred Scott might be current law if you go by what people learned in history class.

11. He’s absolutely right but Quinn was in a difficult place. Fire his offensive coordinator and admit you made a HUGE mistake. Or let go of the fan favorite and Atlanta Falcons legend Roddy White who is close to retirement….

12. How can what he said help him? It can’t. Dumbest move ever. Much better to just say good things and show that he is capable of being a good teammate and ok with having his role reduced as he gets older. Bad advice from his agent.

13. brianav036 says:
    Mar 5, 2016 9:32 PM
    ——————–

Those are Adsense ads….which are based on your own browsing history. Google serves custom ads for each browser, targeted to that audience.
    For example, I am seeing ads for a vision charity. Probably because I was doing some working for a client who is an eye doctor.
    There are no fixed ads on the right. There are taboola ads under the article. On the right I only see other PFT content and Google Ads.

14. Roddy, don’t blame Kyle Shannahan for your lack of production. Rather blame another person within the organization for taking your touches away. Heres a hint: his name rhymes with “Bulio Lones.”

15. Some players just forget they’re 34 yrs old, in they’re 11th yr, and ain’t what they used to be.

16. Roddy White is old, slow, couldn’t get separation and was making too much money. His decline began two seasons ago. Say what you will about Shannahan, but Father Time beat Roddy out of a job. And now he’s flapping his gums…bye Felicia

17. Welcome to the Cowboys Roddy.

They need a new QB, but will sign you instead, thinking that Romo is still the best QB ever, and it was only bed talent around him..

18. Everyone should know by now that once you’re in a Shanahan doghouse, there’s no getting out.

The nut doesn’t fall far from the tree. There’s a reason Jr. has had three jobs in three years and Sr. can’t get back in the game period.

19. Julio Jones gets close to 1900 yards and you blame Shanahan because your not the man. He is the only one smart enough to see you are now only over the hill but bitter. You will be out of the league in a year when everyone can see your too slow.you cannot beat man coverage. It happens, but most do it with class.

20. This article isn’t about Roddy White…Lots of questions remain about Kyle’s emotional development / maturity. He hasn’t a answered any of them.

21. Roddy White made half his catches because he was pushing off cornerbacks, as soon as they caught on and starting enforcing the rules his numbers started sucking..he’s cooked. he’s done..way to old for a check. Good riddance to this loud mouthed fool

22. Falcons are one total mess of a franchise. Dan Quinn created the dumpster fire. He won’t last long as the Atlanta head coach. Arthur Blank sure is regretting firing Mike Smith now. Enjoy trying to sell those PSLs now at your new stadium.

23. Well he kept his mouth shut all season when things were going sour and everyone knew the falcons were imploding so that’s saying something. So the negative bias in the article is unfounded….and this is coming from a saints fan. Who dat swept the falcons this year??

24. It’s beyond me how the players from the South have such difficulty with basic English. Its not “its not getting no better”, its not getting ANY better. What is so difficult about that? I learned it in 1st grade! “We didn’t turn no curves” Its we didn’t turn ANY curves. Roddy. Go back to school.

25. Wow, without Daddy Shanny or Kubiak to hold his hand, the number of games before Lil Kyle’s offense is figured out and neutralized by real coaches is four.

26. Look at you all crushing this guy for telling us how it is. I guess we expect athletes to stay quiet and only give cliche answers, I’m glad he spoke his mind

27. genericcommenter says:
    Mar 5, 2016 10:07 PM
    magikskillz says:
    Mar 5, 2016 9:59 PM
    You guys did not pay attention in history class.
    ——————–

_________________________________________

As a big fan of history, I am very sad to know that history has largely become an afterthought in our education system today. My wife teaches 5th grade, and she can back that up for me.
    I drive a school bus so I am around young men and women a lot, too. It is shocking how little most of them know of even our recent history, and even more shocking that they don’t care.
    Recently, we took a group of Middle School kids by bus to the site of the original Woodstock, Bethel Woods. The teachers spent some time in class going over the events surrounding that gathering, and to get a perspective on all sides, even brought in a former soldier who was in Viet Nam to speak to the kids a couple of days before we went.
    I had never been there, and had mixed emotions about going. My dad was career Army, 3 of my four brothers served in the service, and I enlisted in the Army in 1971. Suffice to say I was not happy with a lot of what went on during that time.
    Anyway, we spent about 5 hours there. After the kids came back out to my bus, the teachers asked me to talk with the kids to see how they liked it. The teachers waited outside the bus and I asked the kids how they liked it. Most of them just stared at me blankly. So I asked them by show of hands if they liked it. Only two girls, seated together, raised their hands. I was kind of stunned, and asked if the rest of them didn’t like it or just didn’t care.
    They started opening up, saying things like they didn’t care, or didn’t like it, or they hate history, or the only good thing was it got them out of school for the day.
    I got off and whispered to the teachers that I didn’t get a positive response and one of them said she didn’t think I would.
    As for me, it was kind of like a catharsis. I was happy to see in the videos they play non stop, many of the commentators who were at the event and were interviewed as they are now stated that a lot of what went on there was not good. They said it’s regrettable and they wish they could go back and change it, but as with anything where there is a tremendous amount of people, bad things will usually happen. It was refreshing for them to admit that, and vindicated some of what I have been saying ever since it happened.
    I stood in the spot where the stage was and looked up at the hill were some 400,000 people were gathered and it instantly brought me back to that time. I watched the news reports of it as it was happening, and had high school class mates who actually went.
    Anyway, back to my point. It’s my view that ignoring our history is dangerous, because the old adage that if you ignore the mistakes made by those who have gone before, you are prone to repeat them, is true.
    By the way, if you are ever near Bethel Woods, I urge you to go to the site and tour the museum and the grounds. It is worth it no matter what your views, especially if you lived during that time.

28. “”C’mon Roddy, this makes you look like a punk.””

He is a punk, and a whiny one at that.

29. As a fan of the Browns, I took great pleasure in watching Shanahan’s brilliance play out in Atlanta. I’m sure I could come up with 32 reasons why.

30. thats rich roddy. youve been a team cancer since you donned the free vick garb, maybe before. maybe if you had just kept your yapper shut your team chemistry would have been different. but noo, if mama roddy aint happy nobodys happy. tool!!!

31. I’d much rather seen Shanahan get the boot instead of Roddy. Regardless of age, production, salary, etc….

I’ve lost all faith in the leadership of this team. Dimitroff is inept and Quinn is out of his league. Sprinkle in countless washed up Assistants and former GM’s who are equally useless.

32. Sounds like he had the same problem that chad Jonson had when he went to the Pats. Good football player just dumb as a bag of rocks. Any player can run a 9 or a post etc but ask players to run routes based on the Defense and some meltdown and can’t grasp the concept. He couldn’t handle 5 route variations ( the Pats have 15) so he blamed his teacher. Typical.

33. I’m not sure which is more impressive,Gary Kubiak winning the SB at Denver or making Kyle look worthy of being an OC with the Texans.

34. So a coach should change his offense to pacify an aging vet who was never more than a second fiddle receiver?
    Ok…

35. Roddy might be over the hill, but seriously, all Shannahan’s are overrated. Daddy won because he had Elway and Terrel Davis.
    Kiddie boy keeps getting jobs he doesn’t deserve.
    FYI not a Falcon’s fan, just an observation.

36. genericcommenter says:
    Mar 5, 2016 10:07 PM
    ———————————

———————————————————-
    LOL, history never changes. There’s just more of it.

37. Shanahan tries to out think the room and all it does is create confusion. It’s bad enough when the offense doesn’t know what it is doing, let alone making it easier for the defense defending it.

38. xsm941f says:
    Mar 6, 2016 2:02 AM
    =====

Or he could just buy a school with the money he’s made in his career. Has your fine grammar allowed you to amass enough money to do that?