Vikings re-sign Andrew Sendejo

AP

With the legal tampering period two days away and the start of free agency only two days after that, the Vikings have struck a deal to keep one of their own.

Per multiple reports, the Vikings have agreed to terms on a four-year contract with safety Andrew Sendejo.

Sendejo leapfrogged Robert Blanton last year as the starter across from Harrison Smith in 2015. It was Sendejo’s fifth season with the team.

NFL Media reports it’s a four-year, $16 million deal for the 28-year-old safety who previously spent time with the Cowboys and Jets.

Other Vikings free agents include Blanton, linebacker Chad Greenway, cornerback Marcus Sherels, running back Matt Asiata, and cornerback Terence Newman.

75 responses to “Vikings re-sign Andrew Sendejo

1. Insanity. Liability on the field. Hurts teammates and takes horrible angles. Giving a bum starter money instead of finally getting a quality safety besides Harrison is a mistake.

2. What a great signing.

Has Rick Spielman ever made a mistake?

The answer is no.

We have a top 5 Defense.

Best Running Back & Young QB in the NFL.

Best Coach in the NFL.

Best Fans in the NFL.

…and soon to be Best Stadium in the NFL.

3. Another wasted signing, what we really need is QB. Teddy is not NFL caliber with his puny arm and baby hands. 55 years already, we have been waiting for a Championship and Spielman signs this turd. It sucks being a Viking fan!

4. We’ll have to see what the contract details are. At first glance, it seems a bit rich for a guy who was lucky to earn a starting spot last year, but it could easily be backloaded, and allow the Vikes to cut him after 2016 without too much dead money.

5. Don’t freak out everyone! Darren Wolfson jut tweeted out that playing time incentives are very high and there is no way he makes 16 million on this contract. Sendejo is a stud special teamer and plan B at SS. Blanton is as good as gone so look for them to either sign a free agent or draft a safety in April. All is well!!!

6. I hate the signing, but I’ll wait until the details emerge before my head explodes. Hopefully, the contract will allow the Vikings to pursue a legitimate safety to put next to Smith as the rumors suggest it does. Sandejo is a special teamer and reserve safety at best. I doubt he’ll ever see $16,000,000.

7. vikingf0rlife says:
    Mar 5, 2016 3:51 PM

Could be worse, you could be a Packer fan. Every year, expecting to win the super bowl. Pounding you chest at how good the Packers are all offseason. But knowing deep down, it’s just another year of elite QB play wasted by poor management and atrocious coaching. Oh wait, you are a Packer fan.

8. You can’t have a superstar at every position it just doesn’t happen. What happens if we didn’t end up getting any of the free agent safeties? We would have no depth at all. And for those of you who say it makes it hard to be a Vikings fan well then stop watching cuz you obviously are just a bandwagon fan anyway. Even with sendajo we had a top 5 defense all year did you all forget that? Our team will be just fine.

9. Pretty classic operation by the magician and Zimmer. Bring in a bunch of guys that are highly motivated to compete and the best guy gets the contract. This is likely what will happen along the offensive line as well.

Meanwhile, somewhere in Green Bay, Ted Thompson is hibernating under his desk waiting for free agency to end.

10. You packer trolls are special people, we all know this. From now on when you puke your nonsense all over these Viking stories you need to preface your sentence with, NFC NORTH CHAMPION VIKINGS. Got it???

11. I truly believe this was a mistake. We already have Harrison Smith. This guy is poor signing and I am fed up with our front of house management.

Having a child abuser on our team is disgusting. Taking a fly on this Bridgewater kid was a mistake. This kid can manage the game, but has not even close to the skills when comparing him to our divisional opponents QBs. Our fans are as delusional as they come and I ashamed to call myself a fellow Vikes fan to some of you kids on here.

12. tjacks7 says:
    Mar 5, 2016 4:33 PM
    Oh, and before the back up troll arrive…TOUCHDOWN LARRY FITZGERALD!!
    ////////////////////////////////////////

Gotta hurt, huh?

13. Oh Vikings fans….My Lions were in the playoffs too, we had a great defense too, we lost in the first round too, we boasted and bragged about our team too….

Now we can barely get past the rebuilding Bears and started off 1-7 the following season.

14. NFC NORTH CHAMPION VIKINGS…….but we have no Championship Superbowl rings……shut up already.
    ===============================
    HELL NO I wont shut up. We just took these packer trolls off the table as far as getting this done. Sorry you are such a miserable prick though. I’m going to celebrate til the season starts.

P.S. I truly didn’t know we didn’t have any SB rings. You Doofus.

15. NFC NORTH CHAMPION VIKINGS…….but we have no Championship Superbowl rings……shut up already.
    ================================
    WOW So you and others I see will celebrate nothing until we win a SB? Is this really what you are saying? You must be a real treat to be around. WE are going to celebrate winning the NFC North until the next year starts. Hows that? Grow up and enjoy it. And shut up already.

16. If Sendejo is starting opening, this signing will have been a mistake. This position needs upgraded and the Vikings have at least two on the roster who I think will beat him out on the depth chart (Harris and Exum). If Sendejo makes the final cut, it will be because of special teams.

17. stellarperformance says:

Gotta hurt, huh?

LOL, not really since a lot of kicks go wide left. Questionable play calling I admit. Never been a fan of playing for the field goal like Norv likes to do. You play to win the game.

What would be pretty embarrassing, is suffering the two most embarrassing and deflating losses in playoff history in back-to-back years. I’m not sure I could watch football after the way a certain franchise collapsed against the Seahawks and Cardinals. I guess teams really do take on the personality of their QB and coaches… No poise.

18. The Vikings are clearly better than the Lions.

Bridgewater is definitely better than Stafford.

Maybe the Vikings have a good team, but they’re still going to have a tough time against the Packers. And just because you win the division by the skin of your teeth doesn’t mean you need to go nuts chanting division champs.

You look real desperate there “momsbasement” guy.

19. Good luck with your fantasy dreams and your 1st place schedule next season, you will be revealed to what you truly are in September. Teddy Bridgewater is not your savoir nor is washed up Adrian Peterson and furthermore you can’t even kick a 26 yard FG, LoooL!
    ==================================
    Schedule cant be much tougher than last year. I think you are looking at the packer schedule from this past season.

20. calvinthegreat82 says:
    Mar 5, 2016 4:51 PM

====================================
    Lions haven’t won a playoff game since ’91, haven’t won the division since ’93….when it was the NFC Central. Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson both chose early retirement rather than to toil in the hopelessness of the Lions existence. Vikings have more division championships and postseason wins than the sorry Lions. I like Barry and Megatron, but you are embarrassing yourself, 0-16 is the unquestioned pinnacle of futility. No team can ever do worse unless they expand the regular season. Just keep your head down from now on and hope no one notices you and your straight joke of a franchise

21. Calvinthegreat…. So you guys have 0 or 1 wins in the playoffs in the past 50 years? Don’t worry, I am sure your genius head coach will get you over the hump.

BTW – Congrats on 0-16. Thats never been done… there are SB winners every year!

22. Guys… stop panicking!

Sendejo will only receive all this money if he wins the starting job and plays ‘x’ amount of plays each season. If he wins the starting job and stays healthy then he deserves this salary. If however, he returns to being a backup and special teams ace then he earns less. He’s simply insuring that if he starts he gets paid. I can’t blame him for wanting financial security for his family – Hell… he could only afford McDonald’s for his partner this past Valentines Day! 😉

23. It’s very sad how personal people take things on this website, it’s also very sad the amount time and energy people waste arguing over opinions and letting their emotions get the best of them.

The Vikings defense is easily the best in the NFCN. Good signing and good for the Vikings and their fans. Nothing wrong with expressing positive thoughts when your team is clearly on the raise.

24. Agree Bridgewater is better than Stafford.

But, from my point of view, it appears as if the Packers will have their hands full with the Vikings for the foreseeable future. The pendulum has swung.

I expect a couple more years of close matchups and then a 5 to 10 year period of the Vikings dominating the matchup.

25. packers don’t have any championships either ……!!!! Its called championship of :”CLASS” ……. and when it comes to CLASS …… YOU HAVE NONE ….!

26. And just because you win the division by the skin of your teeth doesn’t mean you need to go nuts chanting division champs.

You look real desperate there “momsbasement” guy.
    ===================
    So it’s ok for you pack fans to puke it out every post the past few years?? Ok got it. I WAS desperate to take e North away. Now a SB. Remember, Wisconsin; 12 million people and only 15 last names.

27. whatswrongwithmomsbasement says:
    Mar 5, 2016 4:25 PM

———————————————————————
    What’s wrong with you? Before making a ridiculous posting like above, why don’t you go over to Winter Park and polish the Vikings SB Trophy Case?

28. 1969nflchampionskansascitychiefs says:
    Mar 5, 2016 4:14 PM
    This still doesn’t change the fact that the Vikings have ZERO Championships.
    ——————————————-

Good lord, man. Give it a rest. My neighbor has an autistic child that only says (screams actually) the word “CARS” when he’s out on the lawn.

That’s you.

29. If Sendejo had signed this contract with the Green Bay Packers rignt know he’d be figuring how much weed he could buy be when getting paid 4 million a year. Of course he does not live in Green Bay so he does not have to smoke that much weed.

30. stellarperformance says:
    Mar 5, 2016 4:14 PM

I heard he was a kicker in grade school. Good signing for the Vikes!

——————————————–
    The first Viking troll on this story and self proclaimed reactive only troll, stellar, without a single Packer slight mentioned above his post. Ladies and gentlemen I give you the big, fat hypocrite himself.

31. finchy74 says:
    Mar 5, 2016 6:16 PM

That’s you.

____________________

Nice try, but….

This still doesn’t change the fact that the Vikings have ZERO Championships.

The Minnesota Vikings have ZERO Championships.

ZERO.

P.S. CARS!!!!

32. 4 yrs 16 million for a backup? What are you doing rick? So much for spending money on a safety in free agency I guess. Bad signing. He’s a head hunter and nothing else

33. KC Chiefs were super bowl champions in 1969. The Vikings were nfl champions. Just stating the truth
    ———
    You need to take a look at history and the details of the merger. Most Vikings fans don’t seem to understand.

34. crazyhorse2609 says:
    Mar 5, 2016 7:18 PM
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////

OK….then by your “truth,” the Packers have 15 championships, not 13. Look it up. It’s your criteria.

Either post that you agree with me, or accept that you are wrong and stop this nonsense.

35. Bit of a head-scracher to give him starter money. Zimmer wasn’t very complimentary of Sendejo all of last season. He started b/c he was the lesser of two evils (the other being Blanton).

36. tjacks7 says:
    Mar 5, 2016 4:33 PM

Oh, and before the back up troll arrive…

TOUCHDOWN LARRY FITZGERALD!! Goodbye, Green Bay!
    ==================================

That was funny, but not as hilarious as watching the Vikings blow it in the first round on a short missed field goal at home, after winning the division.

Sad that the Vikings win the division, and then can’t even advance. Even when the Vikings win, they lose. I suppose it would be helpful if their QB shows up in big games.

37. tjacks7 says:
    Mar 5, 2016 5:23 PM

stellarperformance says:

Gotta hurt, huh?

==================================
    Don’t worry, the Vikings first round loss eclipsed the second round OT loss of the Packers.

Rodgers and McCarthy won the Super Bowl in 2010. They must have had more poise then.

I like watching Vikings’ fans rip other teams. No Super Bowl appearance for 40 years, 4 losses with a multitude of Hall-of-Famers, a variety of losses in NFC Championship games (a blowout, a missed FG after no misses in the regular season, a dumb interception), and the most playoff losses by any team. If there’s a way to lose, the Vikings will find it.

Enjoy the new stadium next year, just like Minnesota fans enjoyed Target Field in its first year- and now attendance declines every year.

Great fans. The only team in Minnesota with major sports championships, poorly supported.

38. cheeseisfattening says:
    Mar 5, 2016 6:39 PM
    The first (Packer) troll on this story and self proclaimed reactive only troll, stellar, without a single Packer slight mentioned above his post. Ladies and gentlemen I give you the big, fat hypocrite himself.
    /////////////////////////////////////////

I definitely said I was a reactive poster. I never said “only.” At least it’s good-natured ribbing and not mean-spirited personal insults and put-downs for which, you, are King.

39. I was kind of hoping they’d sign one of the Bengals FA safeties rather than a guy who’s questionable in pass coverage, but I guess it’s best to wait and see what happens.

Other than the Bo Ryan infidelity newsflashes, there must not be much going on in WI tonight with the multiple posts by the same old cheesers spouting of the same old arrogant, self serving blather. The only rational one is stellar and even he bit twice.

40. This is my nightmare.
    I’m I the only one who remembers him dropping an easy interception in the last few minutes vs Seatle? I’ve always hated Sandejo

41. 1969nflchampionskansascitychiefs | Mar 5, 2016, 3:14 PM CST
    This still doesn’t change the fact that the Vikings have ZERO Championships.

You’re wrong on all accounts here, in 1969 the Vikings were the NFL champions who lost to the AFL in the super bowl.

42. I find it amusing that the person proclaiming in his handle that an AFL team was the NFL champion likes to spout the zero championships crap. This is like a guy bagging a drag queen and ripping his buddies for not getting any. Very sad…

43. I get tired of Dick Spielman thinking he is the next top CEO of the NFL. I understand that winning does change the face of a situation and that is the consensus in major sports today; especially when you are talking about the GMs, VPs and coaches of professional teams. However, just like anyone else they can make some stupid mistakes as well. I watched this Sendejo play last year and to tell you the truth, he is really a weak asset at safety. He has no really good cover speed and he certainly isn’t all that good of a tackler. I just wish I could run up to Minnesota and have a good talk with Dick Spielman because he is not really all that bright. Why spend a great deal of money on a less than average safety and not on that guy that’s a free agent from Cincinnati and have your problems answered. What’s wrong with Spielman and Zimmer. The problem with the Vikings over the years has been the front office inability to put together a winning team.

44. I’ve been in San Antonio, enjoying the weather and Mexican food, and trying to ignore this infantile site. But I have to say it’s obvious that the Cheeseheads again are hiding behind their two championships in 22 years (with 2 HOF QBs), yet in reality are obviously fearful, distressed, and painfully obsessed with Zimmer’s Vikings.

45. He actually played pretty well in a couple games, that tells me it is a Coaching issue, and we have the Coaches that can fix this!
    He doesn’t have to be a full time starter if his contract is mainly numbers base. He is happy. A happy Player is a Good Player! Pick a Safety that can sit a year and
    be Coached up. Minnesota has the best teacher in the League! Some Day, a Movie will be made about Coach Zimmer, and how he turned this team into Champions!
    I like this move

46. I love how Viking celebrates one division title like they have won multiple world championships. Vike fan doesn’t have the IQ to remember how division titles the Packers have won recently. Oh and a Superbowl title (not that a Viking would know what that is)

47. My only question is whether the Vikings will deduct the cost of a ticket from Sendejo’s salary each and every game?

It seems only fair, if he is going to stand around and watch the game like the rest of us, the least the Vikings can do is charge him the same money.

But if Speilman thinks this guy is worth $4 mil per year, I think you have a big clue to the mystery why the Vikings have never won a championship in the past 54 years.

48. The last 7 years the Jags,Lions,Browns, Bills have the same number of OT Playoff wins as the packers do.

49. whatjusthapped | Mar 6, 2016, 9:44 AM PST

____________________________________

No doubt a questionable signing, if it’s really a “guaranteed” $4M per year. My guess is that it is incentive-laced based on playing time. I still don’t expect Sendejo to be starting next year. They will no doubt bring in some competition in the form of another FA or a pick in the first 3-4 rounds.

50. lindacaseauthor says:

===================================
    Let’s do the math for the Vikings, zero divided into any number is still zero. So zero championships in 54 years is still zero and will still be zero in 55 years after 2016. So I would take 2 over zero every single time.

Sounds like you have a problem with championships so I will say you have picked the right team to support.

51. Again, In Coach Zimmer I trust. What part Of being a “fan” and supporting your team do GB supporters not get?? What kind of world would it be if we all supported the same team, well DUH??? Look around, 32 teams with 32 fan bases. Our love of the Minnesota Vikings runs deep, as does your love of the Packers does. Why is it SO damn important for you to keep writing down the “math”. We get it, zero SB victories. Your point?? It will happen one day soon, and then what will you have to write about?

52. But I have to say it’s obvious that the Cheeseheads again are hiding behind their two championships in 22 years

===================================

———-
    Unlike Cheddarville, the Vikings have been struggling to find a franchise QB n the last 22 yrs let alone a HOF QB. If we had, we would have most likely won at least one SB. Now we finally have the coaching staff, the QB, the RB, and the best defense in the NFCN and one of the best in the league. All the stars are finally aligning and you Cheesers darn well know it. That’s why you’re all crapping bricks and trying to minimize the rapid rise of the Minnesota Vikings. Good luck with that. SKOL.

53. lindacaseauthor says:
    Mar 6, 2016 5:08 PM

==================================

The Vikings had a HOF QB in the 70’s. He blew three Super Bowls. In one of those games, he had a 14.1 rating.

They had a HOF coach and a team put together by a HOF GM. They also had 5 other Hall-of-Famers.

Including the playoff game, your star running back, in his last 8 games, averaged under 4 yards per carry. He’s getting to the point in his career where he could fall of the cliff at any time.

54. “stellarperformance says: This made me laugh my beer through my nose. I have never seen a more desperate and weak attempt at a team-labeling phenomenon in the likeness of WIDE LEFT!!

Just say Wide Left to any fan of pro football of any team…..heck, include the CFL too, and everyone knows it’s the Vikings. Gotta hurt, huh?”

Yeah… just like when you say “EPIC CHOKE” and everyone automatically thinks of how the Packers TEAM blew up in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter against the Seahawks to lose a 19 point lead and the NFC Championship game. Not a left hook by a single kicker that went 3 of 4, but the ENTIRE Packer’s organization.

BTW… I was at the bar that day and was laughing as the cheeseheads sat there stunned in their total lack of arrogant pride. Afterall… who could be proud of the Packers that day?

55. “frank booth says: You now have a QB who throws 14 TD’s a year. He threw for 99 yards against the Packers in the game for the NFCN, and 146 against Seattle in a home playoff loss, the two biggest games of the year.”

And yet your Packers still managed to lose the division to them… IN GREEN BAY no less. I’ll bet you were really happy to be a cheesehead that day… huh frankie?

56. fmc651 says:
    Mar 6, 2016 3:34 PM

==================================
    And the Vikings also. And most other teams in the NFL.

The Vikings lost in OT in the NFC Championship Game in 2009 to the Saints. It was great.
    But the Vikings solved the OT problem. They just lose in regulation in the first round.

57. unmercifulone says:
    Mar 6, 2016 10:18 PM

==================================

No. I’m a Bears’ fan.

I did get a huge kick out of the Vikings’ losing at home in the first round, however. Maybe they were able to get together with some Bears’ players for golf the following weekend.