Archie Manning says Peyton will evaluate all his options

DIRECTV's Sixth Annual Celebrity Beach Bowl - Game Getty Images

Former Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning spent his retirement press conference talking about his past as a player.

Afterward, his father said he is keeping his options open.

Archie Manning told Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times that Peyton Manning was prepared to be flexible.

“He’s got a bunch of commitments, corporate speeches,” the father said. “He’s good at that, and he’ll fulfill those while he considers some other things that will be in front of him. I know the TV folks will talk to him. Peyton’s pretty good at figuring stuff out. He won’t jump at anything. He’ll lay everything on the table.”

Peyton is in an enviable position because he has plenty of options. He made $12 million last year in endorsements alone, so he’s not in a position to have to jump at the first offer.

But beyond TV and the rubber chicken circuit, there have long been questions as to whether he wanted to get into management or ownership.

Archie Manning called the ownership question “very ambitious” (underscoring the difference between rich and wealthy), but seemed to suggest that working in a front office like Broncos executive John Elway was a possibility.

“I don’t know about an owner, but I do think administration is a consideration, along with TV and I guess coaching, although I don’t know if he’d go that route,” Archie said. “I don’t think Peyton’s saying absolutely no to anything. I think he feels like he’s fortunate to have opportunities and options. He’s pretty good at digging into stuff like that and seeing what fits.”

Peyton himself didn’t shed any light on his future during the press conference, audibling away from any suggestions about what he might do.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Archie Manning says Peyton will evaluate all his options”
  1. ravenbiker says: Mar 7, 2016 2:28 PM

Will it include drinking a lot of Budweiser?

2. renocarolina says: Mar 7, 2016 2:30 PM

First training camp QB injury to a big market team will bring him out of retirement.

You could tell he wasn’t ready to hang it up but the Denver situation demanded “retirement” was best immediate tactic.

3. jjb0811 says: Mar 7, 2016 2:31 PM

When will Archie retire? That’s what I want to know. He’s annoying.

4. jonathankrobinson424 says: Mar 7, 2016 2:32 PM

….at what point do you tell your Dad , “Please stay out of my business?…I’m a big boy, I can speak for myself.”

5. 87hollywoodhorn says: Mar 7, 2016 2:32 PM

Please Mannings buy the New Orleans Saints. After that big bullfrog Benson croaks were gonna b n trouble

6. PhD says: Mar 7, 2016 2:33 PM

Jed York will need a new GM soon. Or better yet, maybe Denise York will need a new person to run her team.

7. ducksk says: Mar 7, 2016 2:33 PM

Does the old man always have to step in with his 2 cents? Archie, no one cares what you say or think. Has been.

8. mt10425 says: Mar 7, 2016 2:33 PM

Archie needs to sit down and shut up.

9. Indybear says: Mar 7, 2016 2:34 PM

Evaluate his options? Isn’t that what each of us do every single day, millionaire or not? His kids are in their 30’s, so don’t you think it’s time he let them speak for themselves? It appears Archie never misses an opportunity to get the attention he never received or deserved as a player.

10. valentino8100 says: Mar 7, 2016 2:36 PM

And here I thought we’d never have to hear from Archie again.

11. ravenbiker says: Mar 7, 2016 2:38 PM

renocarolina says:
    Mar 7, 2016 2:30 PM

————————————————
    Sorry, but if he unretires, Denver has control of him. If he had waited until he was released to rtire, he’d be able to jump anywhere, and I DO really doubt he will be on anyone’s speed dial as a replacement after that performance in the SB. He was worse than Trent Dilfer, stat-wise.

12. bullcharger says: Mar 7, 2016 2:40 PM

The first helicopter parent.

13. doubleogator says: Mar 7, 2016 2:41 PM

14. bullcharger says: Mar 7, 2016 2:42 PM

I don’t think Peyton needs to go be a GM somewhere. Media for him, or his own business. I don’t see him coaching or going into team management.

15. ckg0913 says: Mar 7, 2016 2:50 PM

I bet he could be a copious personnel guy. Pretty good at knowing everything about an opponent.

16. chawk12thman says: Mar 7, 2016 2:52 PM

I am hoping he takes over the front office of a team or becomes the head coach/offensive coordinator of a team. His knowledge of the game and attributes exposed by all clearly points to his being very successful at either.

17. churchofthehoody says: Mar 7, 2016 2:54 PM

In all this I feel bad for Eli, now that Pey Pey is retired, Archie is gonna hovering over Eli twice as hard…

18. mwcarolina says: Mar 7, 2016 2:54 PM

if Manning does anything to do with football, i’d like to see him as a QB coach. i personally would love it if the Redskins hired Manning as a QB coach. i feel he’ll be an amazing QB coach for a team.

19. ohand16 says: Mar 7, 2016 3:09 PM

“Digging into stuff and seeing what fits” Ooh Archie !

20. tylereifertisunstoppable says: Mar 7, 2016 3:10 PM

Is there anything sicker than an old man incessantly speaking for his adult child? Archie, go find something to do.

21. stoolerz says: Mar 7, 2016 3:35 PM

Yes Archie talks too much. But man, quit the troll attack. He was simply being media friendly and answering a question asked. You trolls would attack him if he said “No comment”.

22. pvdiaz12 says: Mar 7, 2016 3:38 PM

These Archie comments are great. But with that being said, he needs a mic or reporter to ask him these questions. It’s the media who allow this man to continue talking and they hover around him like he’s Yoda or something.

23. oldandgrumpy72 says: Mar 7, 2016 3:47 PM

39 years old and Daddy still has to speak for him. Time to cut the cord.

24. Bob says: Mar 7, 2016 3:53 PM

“doubleogator says:
    Mar 7, 2016 2:41 PM
    Why call Tom Benson names??? He bought the Saints at a time when New Orleans was on the verge of losing them…”

And almost moved them to San Antonio 20 years later before Paul Tagliabue demanded he find a conscience and stay put. Now he’s Mr. New Orleans. I’m sorry, but some things shouldn’t just be casually scrubbed from the record. And I’m a Saints fan.

25. jjackwagon says: Mar 7, 2016 4:00 PM

I’m sure the Donkeys immediately hired him as a consultant to the tune of about 10 mil. No reason for him to “retire” otherwise.
    He could have forced them to cut him and then he would be free to play elsewhere.

26. binarymath says: Mar 7, 2016 4:01 PM

“Peyton will be laying everything on the table.”

Isn’t that what caused the ruckus in the UT locker room???

27. tncheese says: Mar 7, 2016 4:03 PM

Why all the hate for Archie? People ask him the questions cuz he is famous & has access to two of the NFL’s well known stars.

28. amplewor says: Mar 7, 2016 4:23 PM

Eagles will need a GM soon.

29. jsmith563 says: Mar 7, 2016 4:57 PM

qb coach for titans and mariota first year, oc 2nd year and hc third year with a chance of ownership

30. thirdngoal says: Mar 7, 2016 5:20 PM

I think Archie has said more about his son Payton’s retirement than I heard him say during his own entire career. Put a sock in it Archie, the boy is 39 and old enough to speak on his own behalf.

31. sidepull says: Mar 7, 2016 6:38 PM

Manning boys dont do squat without daddys help. He orchestrates everything. Silver spoon kiddies that they are, I mean royalty.