Cam Heyward says goodbye to his dad’s teammate, Peyton Manning

PITTSBURGH, PA - NOVEMBER 15:  Cameron Heyward #97 of the Pittsburgh Steelers reacts after Head Coach Mike Tomlin challenges a ball spot during the 4th quarter of the game at Heinz Field on November 15, 2015 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images) Getty Images

After Peyton Manning’s moving retirement speech on Monday, scores of NFL players posted farewell messages on social media. One of the best messages came from Steelers defensive lineman Cam Heyward, whose father Craig “Ironhead” Heyward was a teammate of Manning’s with the Colts in Manning’s rookie year.

Heyward posted a note to Manning telling him how his late father had spoken highly of the young quarterback he played with in Indianapolis.

“To know my dad had the opportunity to play with you is very humbling,” Heyward wrote. “I can recall my dad and mom telling me, ‘Peyton is going to be great.'”

Manning approached Heyward after the Broncos beat the Steelers in this year’s playoffs and told him it was meaningful to share a field with two generations of Heywards. Manning said that early in his career, when he played against Bruce Matthews, it meant a lot to him that Matthews approached Peyton to talk about having played with Archie Manning.

“I told Cameron, ‘Hey, you’re a great player.’ And then it dawned on me. So I said: ‘I played with your dad. I played with Ironhead.’ How about that deal? When Bruce Matthews told me he played with my dad all those years ago, I thought there was no way I’d ever be able to tell anybody the same thing. But isn’t that something? It’s come full circle,” Manning told the Denver Post after that game.

In his letter to Manning, Heyward said that exchange meant a lot to him.

“The fact that you took time after you had just beat us in the playoffs to remind me that you played with my dad just spoke volumes to me,” Heyward wrote. “Thank you for being a role model and also how to be a class act on and off the field.”

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Cam Heyward says goodbye to his dad’s teammate, Peyton Manning”
  1. stew48 says: Mar 8, 2016 5:38 AM

I liked this, but wait till the bad-mothers sober up. Then, tasteless garbage will flow.

2. triggerdawg says: Mar 8, 2016 7:02 AM

Deangelo Williams should take note. This is how to be classy.well said cam.

3. amaf21 says: Mar 8, 2016 7:08 AM

I assume he wrote this letter before it came out that Manning was a rapist drug lord. Allegedly.

4. handsofsteelhartofstone says: Mar 8, 2016 7:46 AM

Cute. Now go tell AB84 to forget about the stupid dancing show and concentrate on football.

5. sb44champs says: Mar 8, 2016 8:20 AM

Used to love watching Ironhead smash through opposing linemen… He will always be missed

6. accipiterq says: Mar 8, 2016 8:37 AM

That’s crazy; Archie’s rookie year was 1971, he placed at the same time as Bruce Matthews, who played at the same time as Peyton, who played at the same time as cam, in 2016. That’s 45 years. If cam sticks around 5 more years you can stretch back 50 years into NFL history with just those 4 guys.

7. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Mar 8, 2016 8:41 AM

Brady will never have Peyton’s class, you can’t cheat and get that…

8. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Mar 8, 2016 8:41 AM

Brady will never have Peyton’s class, you can’t cheat and get that…

9. dietrich43 says: Mar 8, 2016 9:10 AM

Cam makes it easy to cheer for him.

10. TebowedOutOfThePostSeasonAndNeverToReturn says: Mar 8, 2016 9:54 AM

I wonder if Tim Tebow said anything to him after that loss?

11. tajuara says: Mar 8, 2016 10:00 AM

—————————————————-

You need to go to the dictionary and find the definition of the word “rape”. Your comment is an insult to basic common sense.

12. noteamforlosangeles says: Mar 8, 2016 10:22 AM

The classiest player in the NFL named Cam(eron) and yes, even over Mr. Newton.

13. notmanning says: Mar 8, 2016 10:25 AM

But wait, Manning was garbage last year!

14. Moudabo says: Mar 8, 2016 11:08 AM

Ironhead would have been very proud of his son
    for becoming the man that he is. Great story.
    It was a nice gesture on Peyton’s part to remind him.

15. jgammell34 says: Mar 8, 2016 11:30 AM

TebowedOutOfThePostSeasonAndNeverToReturn says:
    Mar 8, 2016 9:54 AM
    I wonder if Tim Tebow said anything to him after that loss?

Yea Tebow actually praised the entire steeler team and steeler franchise. One of the best in NFL and always has been. Go back and look, Oh wait you can’t your too busy being a closet steeler lover. SSL

The only poster here that can take a post that has nothing to do about steelers…. or ravens lol

and come up with some lame comment about a playoff game years and years ago. lol

16. kevo95 says: Mar 8, 2016 11:45 AM

Nightly respected player ,well said Cam

17. triggerdawg says: Mar 8, 2016 12:40 PM

I wonder if jump ball said something to manning after his one hundred seventeen yard performance and getting schooled by manning this year.

18. pmars64 says: Mar 8, 2016 1:19 PM

Cam looks so much like his dad. Too bad his dad is gone.