Mike Ditka remains at ESPN, in reduced role

Ditka Getty Images

Mike Ditka has been replaced by Matt Hasselbeck in ESPN’s flagship NFL pregame show, but Ditka will remain on the air.

ESPN announced today that Ditka has signed a two-year contract. He’ll have what sounds like a reduced role, befitting a man who at age 76 would like to reduce his travel obligations.

“This new role is really a blessing,” Ditka said in a statement released by ESPN. “It’s something I asked for. After many years of weekend travel, I’m thrilled I’ll get to watch NFL games on Sundays and Monday nights in the comfort of my own home. I enjoy being part of the game and part of ESPN. I really do. So this is a great solution.”

A Hall of Fame tight end and Super Bowl XX-winning head coach, Ditka has been with ESPN since 2004.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Mike Ditka remains at ESPN, in reduced role”
  1. mroklahoma says: Mar 9, 2016 2:43 PM

Well deserved. Congrats Big Mike!

2. vusnu says: Mar 9, 2016 2:44 PM

I read where he was demoted because of his negative comments about Obama.

3. bleedingfacemask says: Mar 9, 2016 2:45 PM

“I’m thrilled I’ll get to watch NFL games on Sundays and Monday nights in the comfort of my own home.”

Obviously, Mike is yet another person who thinks the Thursday Night match-ups stink…

4. lastnameiswilson says: Mar 9, 2016 2:45 PM

Congrats Matt!

5. senatorblutarsky says: Mar 9, 2016 2:46 PM

Here we go. Bring on the negative comments from kids who are not only t0o young to have seen Ditka play but also to even have seen him coach.

6. ohand16 says: Mar 9, 2016 2:46 PM

Good. Now send Teddy Bruschi home. Permanently

7. doctormantistoboggan says: Mar 9, 2016 2:50 PM

Farting on air and ripping Obama probably didn’t help.

8. rickrock6661982 says: Mar 9, 2016 2:51 PM

Please let Chris Berman be next for a “reduced role”…

9. nels1959 says: Mar 9, 2016 2:52 PM

Also I’d like to see Tim Hasselback go away for good. He’s purely awful in every way. Hopefully his brother is better than him.

10. 3rdngoal says: Mar 9, 2016 2:54 PM

senatorblutarsky says:
    Mar 9, 2016 2:46 PM

———————————————————–

Thats a prerequisite to make a comment about how useless he is as a talking head?

11. udub86 says: Mar 9, 2016 2:55 PM

Obama aside, he did break wind and take a nap on national television. Honestly, would love to see Jaws in a bigger role. Only other coach on the network is Herm, and he isn’t particularly good.

12. edelmanfanclub says: Mar 9, 2016 2:56 PM

Even analysts are taking pay cuts to stay on the team! It’s officially off season time

13. corporatemediaprostitute says: Mar 9, 2016 2:58 PM

Ditka will be asked to yell obscenities and epithets via skype during NFL pre-game broadcasts!

14. rickrock6661982 says: Mar 9, 2016 3:01 PM

At least Ditka isn’t Curt Schilling. Continuously ripping Obama while choosing to ignore the state of Rhode Island after ripping them off at the same time.

15. gbbvan says: Mar 9, 2016 3:03 PM

Carry on Coach Mike!

Competitor’s Shareholder…

16. badmoonrison says: Mar 9, 2016 3:04 PM

Its a Trumpspiracy.

17. godofwine330 says: Mar 9, 2016 3:06 PM

One of the most overrated coaches in NFL history. His success relied on the success of that defense and the residual effects of the players who were still around when that Super Bowl defense was together. Mike Singletary, one of the last key pieces of that Super Bowl Shuffle Defense, retired in 1991, and that was Ditka’s last playoff season as a head coach.

Thanks to NFL Network and Rich Eisen and crew I was never subjected to his annoying de-evolutionized take on the game of football. Great player, good coaching record with the Bears, but horrible talking head.

18. ebbycalvinlaloosh says: Mar 9, 2016 3:07 PM

So he’ll still be on the set, but instead of mumbling he’ll be sleeping full time?

19. dangel61 says: Mar 9, 2016 3:13 PM

“Listen Gang. I know I have spewed some incoherent thoughts and I don’t get the modern football player. But Come on, Put me out to pasture already.”

20. jumbob says: Mar 9, 2016 3:22 PM

I’m hoping the new role involves duct tape and a corner.

21. jumbob says: Mar 9, 2016 3:28 PM

senatorblutarsky says:
    Mar 9, 2016 2:46 PM
    ______________________________________________

Actually, I guess this makes me pretty hip. I saw him coach and I’ve always found him an insufferable blowhard.

22. rcali says: Mar 9, 2016 4:00 PM

I honestly only watched the show to see if coach would fart or fall asleep. It was a great drinking game while it lasted.

23. rosstuckershair says: Mar 9, 2016 5:23 PM

Farting on air and ripping Obama probably didn’t help.

And of course his support for Trump…

24. spvanderwahl says: Mar 9, 2016 6:25 PM

This was a long time coming, Ditka has appeared to be suffering from dementia or just plain craziness and I don’t care about his political views.

25. hawkforlife says: Mar 9, 2016 6:34 PM

You can’t tell me anyone will miss him on air in any way. Boring, uninformed and lazy.

26. skippynj says: Mar 10, 2016 3:03 PM

He was a babbling, incoherent scold on espn. As a coach, so overrated and so fortunate to have Buddy and his D, otherwise he’d have been just another loud-mouthed also-ran. And what he did to the Saints with his lazy, stupid draft day shenanigans put the franchise back 10 years. Good riddance.

27. mach2plus says: Mar 10, 2016 7:17 PM

I respect his playing career but that’s about it. Others here have done a very good job de-bunking the widely assumed success of his coaching career. But as a Saints fan I can’t resist confirming that his tenure in New Orleans was so inept as to be laughable. On TV he loves to portray a tough guy image but he comes across to me as a blowhard. He rarely adds anything incisive to the broadcast and, at times, seems disinterested. Oh, and the way he dresses on air – I can’t decide if he’s going for Chicago mobster or back alley pimp. It was time for him to be moved out. Next let’s focus on Tom Jackson’s replacement.

28. jonwill57 says: Mar 10, 2016 9:30 PM

Absolutely, the most overrated head coach in NFL history. I’ve seen him play, watched him coach and barely watch him ESPN. An earlier poster used my term for him…a blowhard!! Players carried him off only because Buddy Ryan was already on the shoulders of his players.
    Denied Walter Payton an opportunity to score a Super Bowl TD and then said he didn’t realize it meant so much to Payton. Walter suffered the humility of all the losing years. But Ditka fell prey to Refrigerator Perry running the ball. Then in the aftermath, he criticized the players for their endorsement deals, while he was making more commercials than any of them. His DUI’s and coming off as holier than thou has been pathetic.
    At 76 years of age, just retire already.

29. headwoundharry says: Mar 11, 2016 6:19 PM

Fan Boy Army hates everyone and everything. They think it makes them cool.

30. benton2016 says: Mar 12, 2016 7:37 AM

Great player, good coach and one of the few analysts worth listening to. Best of luck to you coach.

31. eglsfan says: Mar 12, 2016 2:49 PM

I agree with ESPN offing Bruschi…..no one cares what you have to say…also tie aficionado Hoge can hit the bricks too

32. tonebones says: Mar 12, 2016 10:33 PM

Terrible timing by the old coach. Just about the time Trump shows public sympathy for the KKK, Ditka throws his support behind Trump and rips Obama, which seems to be a show of support for the KKK. It’s not always what it seems, but the timing was bad.

33. Mo Pro Babble says: Mar 15, 2016 8:50 AM

senatorblutarsky says:
    Mar 9, 2016 2:46 PM

Saw both, doesn’t change that he’s now borderline incoherent. As a coach, he’s the ultimate one hit wonder. He likely wouldn’t have made HOF if not for that one year.