Patriots to take a look at Bills RFA receiver Chris Hogan

Chris Hogan AP

The Patriots certainly need help at wide receiver.

Or maybe, they’re just messing with the Bills because it’s fun.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Patriots are bringing in Bills wide receiver Chris Hogan for a visit today.

Hogan is a restricted free agent, and if the Patriots gave him an offer sheet, the Bills would have five days to match. The Bills tendered him at the lowest level of $1.67 million, so if he was signed away, they’d get no compensation for the former undrafted rookie.

The 27-year-old Hogan has 77 catches over the last two seasons with the Bills, and has worked well enough in the slot to think he could find a place in the Patriots offense. But the Bills have a chance to match anything the Patriots might offer.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Patriots to take a look at Bills RFA receiver Chris Hogan”
  1. widerightyouloseagain says: Mar 10, 2016 10:16 AM

The Bills have no cap room and no QB.

Wide right, you lose again.

2. lanham4eve says: Mar 10, 2016 10:16 AM

Chris is one of my favorite player on the league and on my bills, I would hate to see him join the pats but I know he would excell with Thomas Brady. Best of luck Chris, no one works harder off the field

3. tedmurph says: Mar 10, 2016 10:27 AM

Win/win. There were rumors the Pats liked him, but even if he signs an offer sheet that the Bills match, it busts on the cash strapped division rival who are scrambling to keep their own players. I just hope they’re aggressive enough. The Pats did the same thing with ESanders a couple of yrs ago when the steelers(as usual) were in cap trouble. It took the steelers 5 days to match, but they kept him for another yr. Then he got 3 yrs/15 mil from Denver(+ a ring). If the Pats has just offered a little more, they may have gotten him. Sanders would have been 1200+yrds/yr here w/Brady.

The Pats system works, obviously. But, their steadfast committment to their price is frustrating sometimes. They’re desperate for WRs, but they seem to be just checking off the list until they get a guy that will play at their price. MJones? Too much. Sanu? Ditto. How far down the list are they gonna go? A washed up RWhite? They’re not gonna pay Amendola 5mil, with a 7 mil cap hit either. Stay tuned.

4. patsbrat says: Mar 10, 2016 10:33 AM

lanham4eve says:
    Mar 10, 2016 10:16 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I admit I am not familiar with Hogan. But as a Pats fan I do very much appreciate this comment. Thank you lanham4eve!

5. annes22 says: Mar 10, 2016 10:34 AM

I would like to see him with the Patriots, he deserves better than the Bills. He’s a nice receiver and with Brady throwing to him, I hope it works out.

6. uknepatsfan says: Mar 10, 2016 10:42 AM

Due diligence in case Sanu signs for Atlanta?

7. In Teddy We Trust says: Mar 10, 2016 10:44 AM

I’m sure it’s just a coincidence, but isn’t it funny that the Patriots always seem to lead the league in white wide receivers?

8. ( . Y . ) says: Mar 10, 2016 10:46 AM

Solid player, could be a good weapon in the Patriots offense

9. TB12RALLYCRY says: Mar 10, 2016 10:49 AM

Typical BB type signing if it goes through………

10. arcross12042004scorp15 says: Mar 10, 2016 10:50 AM

Chris Hogan ( Nickname 7/11 because he is always open ) would be a more durable Wes Welker for the Pats. Love the guy, would hate to lose him, but he would be a perfect fit with TB.

11. unoduotres says: Mar 10, 2016 11:02 AM

You are right Teddy: Moss, Givens , Troy Brown, Lefell, Thompkins, Boyce etc

12. 6ball says: Mar 10, 2016 11:12 AM

Had 6 catches for 96 yards vs the Patriots in November. Belichick tends to notice such things.

13. Patskrieg says: Mar 10, 2016 11:13 AM

Meanwhile at the Felger & Mazz production meeting:
    “What do we have for headlines?”
    “Patriots hosting Chris Hogan.”
    “Who?”
    “Receiver. White guy.”
    “Oh. Perfect. We’ll roll with ‘Belichick is a racist’ That should eat up at least 4 hours of airtime. That was easy. What do you want for lunch?”

14. ohand16 says: Mar 10, 2016 11:13 AM

At this point it is questionable as to whether or not the Bills will even be able to put together a 53 man roster.

15. rabidbillsfan says: Mar 10, 2016 11:16 AM

Good, I hope they sign him away so he doesn’t take reps away from Robert Woods, who is the better slot guy anyways. Hogan was good here, but he had some really bad drops. I don’t see this ending the same as that Wes Welker fairytale either. The Bills want a big fast guy for the outside, losing Hogan does nothing to hurt the hunt for that player.

16. tedmurph says: Mar 10, 2016 11:25 AM

Felger is too busy ranting and being wrong about CJulien and the Bruins right now. He’ll get back to being wrong about the Pats later.

Bills are in the hunt for a big fast guy for the outside? Are they cutting Sammy Watkins? If so, let me know. I’ll go pick him up.

17. dabillshateme says: Mar 10, 2016 11:43 AM

@rabidbillsfan, I read after the season that Hogan was playing with torn tendons in his wrist which may explain the drops. I have to agree with the other Bills fans here that Hogan could could be a rock star for the Pats. Short, quick precise routes with that #12 guy putting the ball on target every time. Two things to enjoy when you’re a Bills fan: the 7-8 wins per year and seeing guys that you like to root for have success when they get to play for a real team. How cool was it to see Fred Jackson in a couple playoff games? (even though he didn’t do much)?

18. buffaloblue85 says: Mar 10, 2016 11:49 AM

And then the analyst will say “Brady wins with no big name receivers”. That’s because the Pats refuse to sign receivers. They like signing small slot guys so they can continue to run pick plays and rub routes to mask Brady’s inability to throw to outside receivers. Moss doesn’t count, he is Moss.

19. infectorman says: Mar 10, 2016 11:58 AM

This is very Welkeresque.

Would be fun to see him running through the end-zone and then the camera pans to Rex’s face as NE puts up another 6 on their punky little brother to the north.
    Think Rex will know who HE is ?

Aside from a few malcontents, the Buff fans are great and possess football IQ. I’d think the vast majority have figured out what they learned the hard way in the city, Rex is a Coordinator at best. Always has been. HC is not in his pedigree.

20. jams56 says: Mar 10, 2016 12:00 PM

Bye!! The dude can’t catch!!

21. GoodellMustGo says: Mar 10, 2016 12:07 PM

Everything I’m reading about this guy says Wes Welker Jr, plus the limited time I have seen him play.

Sounds like a good fit.πŸ™‚

22. GoodellMustGo says: Mar 10, 2016 12:08 PM

Poor Bills.

The Curse of Doug Flutie might never end!
    πŸ™‚

23. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 10, 2016 12:35 PM

Crap we don’t need another slot receiver. We need a real wideout that can work outside and stretch the field competently.

Someone without the stone hands LaFell had last year.

24. billswillnevermove says: Mar 10, 2016 1:02 PM

No NFL in Toronto…..worst sports teams on the face of the earth.

Wide right, you lose everyday.

25. tyler6661 says: Mar 10, 2016 1:47 PM

As a Bills fan I hate this, but it makes sense for the Pats. I’m not why Hogan is being compared to all these smaller receivers, dude’s 6’1″ 215. He’s not a agile guy, so he wont do much in the rub game. He’s an intelligent zone buster possession guy not a burner but gets up field when the defense rolls away from him. A good fit for busting teams who try to emulate the broncos game plan. Frankly I’d worry more about the return of Lewis….

26. GoodellMustGo says: Mar 10, 2016 2:00 PM

Only the Bills would let Drew Bledsoe walk for JP Loss Man
    πŸ™‚

27. revren10 says: Mar 10, 2016 2:28 PM

Is bill collecting all the white receivers in the nfl

28. 205diamonds says: Mar 10, 2016 2:39 PM

Sign him and Jermaine Kearse and I’ll be happy.

29. spiffybiff says: Mar 10, 2016 2:55 PM

Becomes an immediate fantasy sleeper

30. joetorontoisaclown says: Mar 10, 2016 3:33 PM

About this time last year New England “messed” with the Bills by signing Scott Chandler. I like Hogan and hope he stays with Buffalo, but articles like this are really why sometimes you have to laugh at this site.

31. fanofpft says: Mar 10, 2016 3:35 PM

Do they have 7-11’s around NE?

32. spoiledsport99 says: Mar 10, 2016 4:28 PM

He’s an average talent and totally replaceable, which really seems to be what the patriots covet in their wide outs. Everyone knows Tom is the key to that team and they can get by with pretty much anyone running routes. As a Bills fan I’d actually be happy if Hogan left to allow us to sign or draft someone with an upside.

33. surfer.al says: Mar 11, 2016 10:36 AM

@buffaloblue85

RE: “They like signing small slot guys so they can continue to run pick plays and rub routes to mask Brady’s inability to throw to outside receivers.”

In the past 15 years, who has the most points, wins and trophies?

But yeah, you’re right, Brady can’t throw to the outside.