Skip to content

Chris Conte, Bucs agree on one-year deal

TAMPA, FL - NOVEMBER 08:  Will Tye #45 of the New York Giants and Chris Conte #23 of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers fight for a pass during a game  at Raymond James Stadium on November 8, 2015 in Tampa, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images) Getty Images

Safety Chris Conte signed a one-year deal with the Buccaneers last offseason, reuniting him with then-coach Lovie Smith after he played for Smith when both men were with the Bears.

Smith was fired after the end of the regular season, but Conte will be back with Tampa Bay this season. According to multiple reports, Conte agreed to a one-year deal to remain with the Buccaneers.

Conte made 13 starts for the team last season and recorded 79 tackles. He also added two interceptions, giving him eight over the last three seasons,¬†and forced a pair of fumbles. Conte missed the final two games of the season due to a knee injury, but is expected to be healthy for the team’s offseason work.

Conte is the second safety to re-sign with the Bucs this offseason, joining Keith Tandy. Conte, Tandy join Bradley McDougald and Major Wright at safety, leaving the team with the same quartet that topped the depth chart last year.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
9 Responses to “Chris Conte, Bucs agree on one-year deal”
  1. fedegene says: Mar 13, 2016 5:56 PM

    It’s funny because everybody was blaming Lovie for poor personnel moves, including signing Bears retreads. Now that he’s gone, given that all the credit for last season progress went to Koetter, this was supposed to stop.

  2. greenbaychicksarefat says: Mar 13, 2016 6:02 PM

    How is this bum still in the league? Has to be the worst safety in the nfl.

  3. NYCTourGuy (Bucs fan) says: Mar 13, 2016 6:08 PM

    It’s not often you can keep a championship-caliber secondary together after a spectacular season, but the Bucs sure can surprise.

  4. moses74 says: Mar 13, 2016 6:35 PM

    greenbaychicksarefat says:
    Mar 13, 2016 6:02 PM

    How is this bum still in the league? Has to be the worst safety in the nfl.

    ————————–

    What ^^^^ he said

  5. bassplucker says: Mar 13, 2016 7:31 PM

    He is a bad football player and could very well be the worst safety in the league but he has somehow managed to keep an NFL roster spot longer than a lot of the other stiffs Jerry Angelo brought into the league over the years… so give him credit for that, anyway.

  6. spartyistheclassofthenationinfootballandbasketball says: Mar 13, 2016 8:42 PM

    Worst starting safety in the league. I could never understand how he kept his job with the bears

  7. kmgpop says: Mar 13, 2016 9:47 PM

    Tiki is flabbergasted!

  8. avanderlay says: Mar 13, 2016 10:53 PM

    Ugh. He is awful – worst tackler I’ve ever see in Bucs uniform

  9. granadafan says: Mar 13, 2016 11:19 PM

    I don’t know what football you guys had been watching, but Conte is more than serviceable at safety. He’s been in the top 5 tacklers on his team every year he’s been starting. When your safeties are amongst the top tacklers on your team, then you have really bad defenses starting with defensive line and linebacker.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!