Chris Hogan sees “a ton of carryover” between lacrosse and football

Zz02NGYxZTI2YmI3Yzk1NDg2YWJhOTljZTljOGM4MzYwMA== AP

New Patriots receiver Chris Hogan had a real advantage when it come to attracting the attention of the Patriots, apart from his football skills.

Hogan played lacrosse, and coach Bill Belichick loves lacrosse.

“I think there’s a ton of carryover with the two sports, lacrosse and football,” Hogan said in an introductory conference call with the media. “Obviously there’s eye-hand coordination and you have to have really great eye-hand coordination in the sport of lacrosse and obviously in my position specifically. I think that there’s also carryover to when I have the ball in lacrosse, that field awareness and being able to move in the open field and dodge people. You can carry that over and say it’s the same aspect as having a football in your hands and having that in the open field. As far as Coach Belichick, yeah, he’s a huge lacrosse fan. I’m pretty sure I played against this son at Rutgers my sophomore and junior years. There’s always that. We have that lacrosse connection.”

That connection will help as Hogan gets to know his new surroundings. Like so many free agents, he signed a contract without knowing much about his new team.

“I don’t exactly know how I’m going to fit into this offense yet and I’m really just looking forward to getting up to Foxborough, getting in the building, getting to know the people, getting to know my teammates,” Hogan said. “That will be the most important thing for me for the upcoming months then obviously my role will be more defined as I start progressing and learning. . . . I know that communication is huge in this league and especially with Tom. This whole process and just signing with the Patriots really has just kind of unfolded. It’s really just getting set now. I’m looking forward to getting in the building and being around the guys, getting to know the guys, and getting to know Tom. It’s all very exciting for me.”

It’s exciting for Patriots fans insofar as it’s the closest the team ever comes to making a big splash in free agency. With Hogan on board, Brady now has three guys who can play in the slot. Hogan’s size (he’s 6’1″) gives him the ability to line up on the outside, too.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Chris Hogan sees “a ton of carryover” between lacrosse and football”
  1. hahalolrofl says: Mar 14, 2016 6:50 PM

I love it. Another great laxer was Jim Brown. There is a meshing of football and hockey in lacrosse. Such a fun sport to play.

I played lax and football in HS, but it was lacrosse that gave me a scholarship to a university that I probably would not have been able to attend otherwise.

2. gints1017 says: Mar 14, 2016 6:53 PM

Gronk is an honorary lax bro

3. orangeraider says: Mar 14, 2016 6:59 PM

The hitting in football, is a hell of a lot harder.
    Lacrosse is more a finesse sport.
    Jim Brown was a monster when he played lacrosse.
    BEST EVER

4. phillyb60 says: Mar 14, 2016 7:07 PM

This kid was all state@Football and Lacrosse in High School, had offers everywhere for Football & ended up going to PSU strictly for Lacrosse. Next time I heard his name it was on MIA Hard Knocks, where they nicknamed him 7/11 LoL.
    He’s a great athlete, that plays smart. He won’t burn by a CB, but he’ll find open grass in w/e Zone they’re playing against. IM0•Perfect fit & good for him that he finally has the chance to be a quality starter with Brady in N.E. TB12 will get the most outve him & use him like a Swiss Army knife(as are most NE players) I think this was a good signing for both sides.

5. mongo3401 says: Mar 14, 2016 7:21 PM

Swiss Army knife is a good description of Hogan. I have been a fan of his since I saw him on hard knocks. You bet this guy is going to get open somehow, he always does. Brady has so many people to throw to it’s crazy and they added one more.

6. tedmurph says: Mar 14, 2016 7:29 PM

Go stand in a college lacrosse goal sometime, and tell everyone what a finesse sport it is.

7. catquick says: Mar 14, 2016 7:36 PM

If NE thinks just throwing short passes to slot guys will cut it, it won’t. This is the NFL. Teams will jump routes, hands up knock down passes and block throwing lanes. Balls will careen, get picked, etc. It works with a long pass threat or great running game, but right now that doesn’t seem to be the case. Hogan is no superstar. I don’t know or hear of anyone missing him here in Buffalo. He was a ? as to whether he would make the team last year. He and Dez Lewis fought it out for the last spot. Lewis, a 7th rounder, went to the PS. He came up at the end of the year, and Hogan was in a dogfight for a position. He’s OK, just OK. Nothing great.

8. jimmydidago says: Mar 14, 2016 7:39 PM

The field awareness he speaks of is exactly what made Jim Brown the most dominating RB of all time. He was an even better lacrosse player than football player in college at Syracuse.

9. 87hollywoodhorn says: Mar 14, 2016 7:45 PM

lacrosse is wack, play a real sport

10. patswillreign says: Mar 14, 2016 8:13 PM

Go to NE and become an instant household name

11. EJ says: Mar 14, 2016 8:24 PM

Hogan is a very good receiver that gets better every season. He was turning heads at the Dolphins training camp, enough for Buffalo to sweep him up and give him a tryout. The Bills gave him a legitimate shot at earning a roster spot and he certainly earned it.
    IMO, the Bills didn’t get him on the field as much as they should have…
    2013- Targets-17 Catches-10 Yards-83 TD-0
    2014- Targets-61 Catches-41 Yards-426 TD-4
    2015- Targets-59 Catches-36 Yards-450 TD-2

Hogan is quick, tough, runs sharp routes where he always finds a way to get open, has great hands, is an above average blocker and has come a long way with his YAC. With Brady as his qb we will see Wes Welker numbers from Hogan. Being able to play the slot and outside is huge for the Patriots. Gronkowski, Edelman and Hogan will put up big numbers as a trio in NE. I am pissed Buffalo let him walk.

12. tfootball1234 says: Mar 14, 2016 8:34 PM

Hogan will catch at least 60 this year. mark my words.

13. tedmurph says: Mar 14, 2016 10:05 PM

Wow, what a cogent point. What is New England thinking with that offensive philosophy that produces an offense that is top 5 in scoring. Every year. After all, this is the NFL. No NFL team could ever go 3-27 against a division rival over 30 games, right? Despite having a high draft pick every year. This guy must work for the Bill’s front office.

14. catquick says: Mar 14, 2016 11:15 PM

tedmurph….apparantly whoever read that to you left out some parts. It was said “without a long passing game or great running game, which doesn’t seem to be the case”. Goodnight now Teddy. Dream your little dreams. I still get a charge out of the memory for a decade of the local news sports guys here calling them “The Patsy’s”. You will return to that, and an empty stadium. Soon.

15. billscastdotcom says: Mar 15, 2016 3:52 AM

Well here we go. Guy was our number four receiver. But of course since the Pats signed him he’s suddenly a hall of famer.

16. fracdj says: Mar 15, 2016 6:44 AM

Everyone will be calling him the next “Wes Welker” as he has followed the same path. Started in Miami and goes on to NE where everyone THINKS he is destined for greatness. Keep in mind, Welker was already dominating in the slot in Miami when he left to go to NE. Once he got there, his numbers went off the charts.
    I am all for Hogan doing well. I love the guy nobody thought would make it and fans love him when he is on there team but when he leaves, it these comments “He is nothing!” “He barely made the team”
    As a fan of another AFC east team, you cannot argue that NE’s front office has an eye for talent and gets the most out of everybody, regardless if it is because they are on offense and Brady helps or they are on defense.
    Carry on………

17. deacon85 says: Mar 15, 2016 9:34 AM

catquick says:
    Mar 14, 2016 7:36 PM

That’s a nice theory, but when your quarterback is Tom Brady, it doesn’t hold up very well (See: Super Bowl 49: Quarter: 4; slot receiver: Julian Edelman)

18. fanofpft says: Mar 16, 2016 12:41 PM

#Ravens are paying WR Mike Wallace $5.75m for 2016. Only $250k more than the $5.5m #Patriots are paying WR Chris Hogan

The complete deep ball stats and grades for quarterbacks in 2015.

JF 22nd