As nicknames go, The Dandelion is well short of the Black Unicorn

Martellus Bennett AP

Tight end Martellus Bennett figured he was going somewhere, but he had no idea it was going to be New England. So he tried to keep himself light and free as he went through the process.

“I knew the possibility was coming,” Bennett said, via Phil Perry of CSNNE.com. “It’s just like any other thing in life, you just be prepared to make sure you flow where the wind goes. Try to be a dandelion.”

Of course, he’s now working with something far less delicate than a dandelion, teaming with All-Pro tight end Rob Gronkowski. They’ve worked out together so there’s background, and Bennett hopes their complementary skills can help the team.

“I think Gronk has always been an awesome tight end and I look forward to learning more about him,” Bennett said. “There are some things that he does that I don’t do, and I’m pretty sure there are a lot of things that I do that he doesn’t do, so it’ll be a good challenge to push each other and continue to help us grow as individual players as well as a tandem to do what we can to help the team. . . .

“We kind of have different styles as far as playing, but I think the one thing that we both love to do is run with the ball in our hands and I think for the last couple of years me and him have both been the best at that. He does a lot of good things. You just look at his numbers, making big plays, to showing up every week, always being reliable for Tom [Brady] and I’m just trying to come in and do the same thing.”

Of course, there’s a bit of a risk involved with having two such high-profile players with similar resumes, but Brady has proven to be a master in doing things differently each year, able to adapt to the personnel around him. It’s not exactly an ephemeral quality, but he has shown his own style of floating through a gentle breeze.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “As nicknames go, The Dandelion is well short of the Black Unicorn”
  1. Indybear says: Mar 18, 2016 6:37 AM

Dandelions tend to look rather nice at the beginning. After a while though, they turn ugly and blow away in the wind. This dude is a certifiable head case and will be making headlines for the Pats, but not in a good way. Locker room cancer.

2. vikingforlife says: Mar 18, 2016 6:49 AM

I told you he had a BIG personality and was a goofball! So there you go……it will be fun to watch him with a Great QB!

3. hawk944 says: Mar 18, 2016 7:09 AM

He is also an excellent blocking tight end like Gronk, and having Scar back as the O line coach and Cooper could lead to some really good protection for Brady.

4. patsfiend says: Mar 18, 2016 7:15 AM

Seeing how things eventually went with Wright and Chandler… I’m trying not to be too psyched about this. But I’m definitely psyched about this. Red zone nightmare.

5. tcmiller30 says: Mar 18, 2016 7:46 AM

I think The Dandelion is way better than the Black Unicorn

6. hahalolrofl says: Mar 18, 2016 8:06 AM

Dandelion. Is he talking about bridgewater?

7. larryboodry says: Mar 18, 2016 8:09 AM

Just call him ‘Dandy’.

8. jm91rs says: Mar 18, 2016 8:23 AM

I hear a lot about how he’s a locker room cancer, but when I hear him speak he seems to just be more intelligent than most NFL players. I’m sure it rubs a lot of people the wrong way to have any interests outside of football, but an intelligent man should have no problem handling that. His brother is the one that seems like he could rip a locker room apart, I know if he were my teammate I’d kill him for all those off sides penalties.

9. steamingpilerex says: Mar 18, 2016 8:32 AM

just wait til that “dandelion” starts disrupting that locker room!

10. rojobirds says: Mar 18, 2016 8:46 AM

Bennet’s nickname should be “LR Trash”.

11. 6ball says: Mar 18, 2016 8:53 AM

Bennet’s agent should lay out his client’s two options :

A. Become a distraction, get cut and kiss his big payday goodbye.

B. Do your job, shut your mouth and cash in, just like Aqib Talib did. He came to the Patriots, lost his bad rap and signed a big money deal with Denver.

12. killxswitch says: Mar 18, 2016 9:06 AM

We’ll see how his big personality fits with the Patriot Way.

13. vpettijohnjr says: Mar 18, 2016 9:12 AM

I still find it highly irregular that BB traded for this guy. Every time he opens his mouth it’s obvious that he’s more than a few fries short of a happy meal, and BB usually doesn’t like those kinds of players.

Let’s see how long it takes him to start chirping that Gronk gets all the looks and he doesn’t.

14. zombiepatriot says: Mar 18, 2016 10:26 AM

I’m going to ignore the doom and gloom messages about attitude and just sit back in my excited anticipation of seeing the TE duo of Gronk and Bennett work their magic.

It’s not often a team has arguably two of the top TEs in the league on one team with the G.O.A.T. QB slinging the ball.

Now the question is do I keep Bennett as a keeper in my fantasy league?

15. sportsavant says: Mar 18, 2016 10:30 AM

Much too early to worry about this stuff….please let this guy acclimate to a new environment before assuming the worst and let the Patriots coaching staff do their job.

16. RE LEE says: Mar 18, 2016 11:40 AM

BB does not countenance bad attitude. He’ll get Fed-Ex out of foxboro in a heartbeat if he acts like a turd and stink up the locker room.
    I think he will adjust. Gronk is a fun person to be with and his personality is irresistible. Some players are bad elsewhere but are good with the Patriots. We’ll see..

17. steelerben says: Mar 18, 2016 12:35 PM

Something tells me that Belichick is going to be able to keep this guy’s attitude in check. What we’re looking at here is Hernandez and Gronk all over again, this time without the murder. Both tight ends are excellent blockers, athletic receivers, and smart football players. If you try to line up in a nickle to cover them, they can line up inline and run the ball all over you. If you try to line up in base defense, they can split wide and force you into covering with a linebacker. Things are going to be very interesting in Foxboro this season, and you’d be shocked how much winning improves attitudes.

18. gisellichek says: Mar 18, 2016 1:01 PM

Oh boy… I can’t wait…

“this is gonna be great!!!”

19. TacomaHawk says: Mar 18, 2016 1:02 PM

Michael did say his bro was the best, so now they have the two best TEs in football…

I can’t speak for Martellus, but as far as MosesBread, if you don’t try to take him too seriously he’s pretty hilarious. Also played his tail off even if he was vocal about his pay. Far from a locker room cancer far as I can tell.

20. frank booth says: Mar 19, 2016 7:57 AM

vikingforlife says:
    Mar 18, 2016 6:49 AM

==================================
    Yes. Nobody knew until you said that. Thanks for that revelation.