Montee Ball facing charges in second domestic violence case

AP

Former Broncos second-round pick Montee Ball was arrested in February and charged earlier this year with disorderly conduct and misdemeanor battery of his girlfriend.

Ball pleaded not guilty to those charges and the case is set to go to trial in May. Ball will have some other legal issues to deal with in the interim.

Ball faces felony charges of strangulation and suffocation and substantial battery and two misdemeanor counts of domestic disorderly conduct from an incident involving a different woman in 2014. Madison, Wisconsin police spokesman Joel DeSpain said, via the Wisconsin State Journal, that the accuser came forward after Ball’s arrest.

According to the criminal complaint, the couple got into an argument after Ball received a text from another woman. He allegedly threw the phone at his ex-girlfriend, hitting her under her left eye, and then put “one or both of his hands on her throat and lifted her off her feet” after the argument continued.

Ball’s attorney denied the charges and said his accuser “may have her own motivations” for raising the accusations “two years after the fact.” Ball, who was released by the Patriots in February after spending time on their practice squad late last season, is due in court on the new charges Monday.