Ravens reflect on the passing of Tray Walker

tray-walker-031816-usnews-getty-ftr_aerxxlfpiueq1i1pxzef9roqb Getty Images

The NFL family suffered a loss on Friday with the passing of Ravens cornerback Tray Walker. On Friday night, the Ravens issued statements from various members of the organization regarding the loss of a 23-year-old member of the organization.

Instead of trying to weave the various statements into a narrative, all are presented below in full.

Owner Steve Bisciotti: “We have two sons not too much older than Tray, and we can’t imagine how much his family is suffering. This is so sad. The right words are hard to find at a time like this. As much as we can comfort Tray’s mom and the rest of his family, we will.”

G.M. Ozzie Newsome: “Tray was one of the most humble persons we brought in for a pre-draft visit. That was striking. After we drafted him, he and his family were so excited to receive the call that he was about to become a Raven. It was one of the calls I will always remember. There was such joy for Tray and his family.”

Coach John Harbaugh: “Tray was a young man with a good and kind heart. He was humble and loved everything about being part of the Ravens’ team. He loved his teammates, the practice and the preparation, and that showed every day. He was coachable, did his most to improve and worked to become the best. I’ll never forget that smile. He always seemed to be next to me during the national anthem; then we would give each other a big hug. May he rest in the Peace of Christ Jesus forever.”

Defensive backs coach Chris Hewitt: “My heart is heavy as these words come out of my mouth. I pray for Tray’s family and his loved ones. In football — both on the field and in the meeting room — you preach to your players to play every play as if it were their last. But to think that we are now going lay a player to rest is unbelievable.

“Tray was a young man who had a way about him that he could light up a room with his smile. Once you got to know him, he was one of the funniest guys. Whenever I got angry, he could make me laugh in a tense situation and bring me back to a cooler head. He challenged me as a coach, because he had a thirst for knowledge. And although things didn’t always go his way, he was ready for the next battle or challenge that you presented to him.

“He had a vision of what he wanted to be as a player, and after last season he left our building determined that in 2016 he would be a household name in Baltimore. He had so much potential and was on his way to being a great NFL player. He will be missed and will never be forgotten.”

Safety Terrence Brooks: “Tray will truly be missed by all who got to know him. I am taking this news pretty hard, because he was a guy who I took under my wing to help him with any little advice that I had gained from being in the NFL for a short amount of time.

“We vowed to each other to stick together and push each other as long as we remained on the same team. We both shared similar life experiences growing up in Florida. We sat together every day during meetings. He was like a little brother to me. I especially remember times he would drop by my house, and we would have long talks and laughs just about the NFL and everyday life. I truly felt a brotherly bond with him.

“Tray was a young man with so much life experience. I feel like he was much more of a man just because of where he grew up. Football was his escape. Not many understood that. It hurts my heart that he’s not getting the chance to show the world just what type of man and football player he was going to be. I was looking forward to taking that field with him this year, because we both kept up with each other’s progress this offseason. I really felt he was going to have a great year.

“But one thing I do know is that Tray will never leave my side. He will be watching over me every step of the way. I see just how precious life is, and I will fully dedicate my season to Tray.”

Quarterback Joe Flacco: “Tray was a young man who was full of energy and promise. This is very hard to wrap my head around, and I am devastated. As a parent, I cannot imagine what his family is going through right now. All of my thoughts are with them. My hope is that we can be a little bit of help by being a second family for them.”

Linebacker C.J. Mosley: “Tray was a guy who constantly kept a smile on his face. He was always laughing and joking in the locker room, and was by far, always the best dressed. He had such great potential and was ready to learn how to be a Raven. My prayers go out to Tray and his family. He will be sorely missed.”

Cornerback Jimmy Smith: “This is such a tragedy, and I am praying for Tray’s family. He was a tremendous young man with so much potential, and I will miss him. Tray had a hard shell, but once you broke through that, you found a person who was learning how to become a man and was so eager to be a great person and professional. I am heartbroken for his family.”

Linebacker Za’Darius Smith: “This is a really hard day for my Ravens family and me. However, I know it is even harder for the family of Tray. I had the opportunity to be around a guy who was unique and a great person – on and off the field. He was not only my teammate, but he was my brother. I send my condolences to his family and loved ones. Tray, you will truly be missed.”

Receiver Steve Smith Sr.: “Times like this make you hug your kids tighter. A mother lost her son today, and a family lost their brother, including us, his extended family. Tray had a bright future ahead of him outside of football and was a guy who lit up the room with his personality. I will miss seeing him every day and seeing that bright smile he always wore. I pray that his family can find peace. Rest well, Tray.”

Rest well indeed, Tray Walker. We continue to extend our prayers and condolences to Tray’s family, friends, teammates, coaches, and colleagues.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Ravens reflect on the passing of Tray Walker”
  1. bobnelsonjr says: Mar 19, 2016 10:43 AM

;earn some lessons from this man’s death:

1) When riding on city streets, wear a helmet.

2) When riding on the street at night, do it on a bike with a headlight.

3) Obey the traffic laws.

4) Getting an education is important. It could save your life if you knew some basic science (in this case illumination).

Don’t let him pass without learning from this death.

2. mswravens says: Mar 19, 2016 10:59 AM

@bobnelsonjr – this ain’t the time or place for lectures.

PRAYERS & CONDOLENCES TO TRAY’S FAMILY. May the love and companionship of friends & family, and faith in your Lord, guide you through this terrible tragedy.

RAVENS PLAYERS & RAVENS NATION – Keep this young man & his family in your heart, and make them proud.

I engage in my fair share of trash talk. Thank you to all those who recognize it’s just a game we rip each other about, and have posted your sincere & heartfelt wishes for Tray’s family & RavensNation. These guys are human beings with lives and families outside providing us with entertainment…we can never lose sight of that truth.

3. ravens2xworldchamps says: Mar 19, 2016 11:10 AM

Rest In Peace, Tray Walker.

Had a friend who passed away in a single car accident at 23 years old in 2013.

I feel for the Walker family.

Ravens Nation will always remember #25

4. fluffy19 says: Mar 19, 2016 11:26 AM

Nice of you to decide this isn’t the place for lectures. Where/when is? It might save a life. Condolences on here aren’t going to be seen by his friends and family. A lecture on common sense safety might be seen by someone and taken to heart. A person can be sad but also want to help prevent more NEEDLESS deaths. He could have killed more than himself, you know, and if your loved one were crossing that street, you’d probably be a fan of safety lectures. Because they are humans with lives and families, they should take more care in ensuring they don’t put their families (and others) through this kind of suffering.

RIP Tray. No one is immortal. Slow down. Be safe.

5. seahawksbmx says: Mar 19, 2016 11:45 AM

So very sad. Condolences to Tray’s family, friends, teammates, and fans.

6. vikingforlife says: Mar 19, 2016 12:12 PM

My heart goes out to everyone grieving this young man’s death. It is just so heartbreaking. My condolences to Tray’s family, friends, teammates and fans.

7. mswravens says: Mar 19, 2016 12:25 PM

@fluffy – nice of you to decide that his friends and family won’t see the posts. Really? You don’t think they might draw some small measure of strength from the outpouring of love that has been posted by the vast majority of PFT posters? But you think it’s a good idea to interrupt that showing of support with self-righteous reminders to be safe?

Never ceases to amaze me the capacity of some to look at the tragedies that fall upon others & use that as an opportunity to tell us how to live our lives…as if you know the secret formula to avoid pain & loss. And I am certain beyond words that the posts from you & bobnelson will be just the thing to save a life. Child please! Get over yourself. You think an adult who gets on a bike without a helmet doesn’t understand the risk? well thanks for letting us all in on that. we were all so unaware.

My apologies to all others for my less than respectful tone. I just can’t stand the self-righteous brigade that has all the answers for the rest of us.

8. mswravens says: Mar 19, 2016 12:30 PM

And before you say something uninformed like “he could have killed more than himself,” why don’t you wait for the facts? there is some suggestion that the other driver ran a stop sign. If that’s the case, then it’s not only his conduct that caused the loss of life – and may not have been his conduct at all that caused him to perish far too soon. Then maybe you can lecture the rest of us on the need to follow traffic control devices since we are all in such need of your common sense advice to save lives.

9. selgaeinla says: Mar 19, 2016 1:13 PM

Thank you for devoting your space to print these.

10. billsfan1 says: Mar 19, 2016 1:43 PM

Nice of you to decide that this is a good time for any errors that could have prevented this accident. All accidents can be prevented, yep! we get that. This is not the time nor the place to hear anybody when up on their soapbox.

11. Patch24680 says: Mar 19, 2016 2:27 PM

My heart breaks for his family and friends. Godspeed, Tray…..RIP……
    Sending thoughts and prayers your way from Panther Nation…….

12. greenbaylibrarybreathalyzer says: Mar 19, 2016 2:42 PM

Condolences and prayers for him and his family. Too damn young.

13. YouCryin?PatsMustBeDoingTheirJob says: Mar 19, 2016 5:08 PM

There’s some people who are cowards. They seem to come this particular sight to troll. It’s all good in the spirit of competition and football. But to jump on this particular story, even to click on thumbs down, shows that you are a waste of oxygen. If you have a message to send, put your name to it,cowards. This young man and all related to him deserve much better. Grow up.

14. vicnocal says: Mar 19, 2016 5:29 PM

1. RIP. Poor guy.

2. To the commenters: Nobody cares what team you “root for”. Also, get a life and stop worrying about if you got thumbs down on your sappy and self-important comment about how you’re going to keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers (yeah right).

15. whodey18 says: Mar 19, 2016 6:01 PM

This is so sad. Prayers for the family of Tray…RIP.

Bengals Fan.

16. logast says: Mar 19, 2016 7:11 PM

This was a traffic crash. Cause is unimportant. Those that thumb down are really idiots.

17. 2016StockMarketCrash says: Mar 19, 2016 7:33 PM

Prayers to Tray’so family and Ravens nation from the Broward County Dolphins nation.

18. Big Ant TV says: Mar 20, 2016 12:15 AM

can put in nfl contracts for all players no motorcycles!!!
    r.i.p mr walker😦 i just used u on madden 16 last night on ps4 last night u held ya own

19. saberwolf335 says: Mar 20, 2016 1:58 PM

OK it’s unfortunate that this happened, he definitely didn’t deserve that. But at the same time I can’t feel bad for him because he was the victim of his own stupidity. Driving on a motorcycle or dirtbike or any kind of bike with a motor with no helmet, lights off, all dark clothes, is just a disaster waiting to happen and I’m not the least bit surprised that it did. He would have been damn near invisible to the driver of the other car since this was at night. It’s unfortunate this had to happen but at the same time I don’t pity people for being stupid

20. tinytoolalldrool says: Mar 21, 2016 10:11 PM

RIP Tray…I feel for your family…I have two young sons and could not imagine