Arian Foster described as “still passionate about football”

Arian Foster, Ben Jones AP

Arian Foster has never allowed himself to be defined by football, but that doesn’t mean he’s not trying to stay in the game.

The former Texans running back, who is recovering from the torn Achilles that ended his time in Houston, is focused on getting himself healthy and finding another job.

He’s training twice a day at a facility run by his brother in Houston, and teams have checked in on his progress.

“Arian’s doing great,” said his brother Abdul Foster, via Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle. “When you go through stuff like this, you say, ‘Okay, I’m financially set. I don’t need to do this to take care of my family, but, at the end of the day, do I still love this game? Is there still a passion for me?’ The reason I’m excited is because Arian is still passionate about football.

“That’s always a question when money is involved and you’ve made your mark in the league. Do you still have a desire to play in the league.  Arian still does, which is exciting to me. The good part is he’s motivated. He’s definitely putting in the work here.”

Foster was cleared to resume running in January, and is overcoming a long string of injuries. He’s played just 25 games the last three seasons, with groin surgery last year in addition to the torn Achilles. His brother/trainer said they’re working to get Foster more comfortable with the kind of recovery work he needs at age 29.

“I will say the majority of Arian’s issues have come from the ability to kind of believe in doctors,” Abdul Foster said. “Arian has had some bad instances with doctors. He has kind of leaned away from that. I kind of view guys like him like a Ferrari. They need constant maintenance on their bodies. The extreme injuries Arian has had, we’ve tried to get him to do basic recovery, ice, getting on a table to be worked on. Arian has kind of shied away from that because he’s had some bad experiences with doctors.

“Over the years of constant collisions on the field, play after play, day after day, it wears on the body. If you don’t do anything to repair it, I think you’re going to have some issues. A lot of the injuries Arian has seen and witness over the years are a result of him not doing the kind of recovery he needed. His pain tolerance is unreal. He played the entire 2010 season with a broken collarbone. This go-round, he’s bought into the program we’ve put him on. He’s doing the proper maintenance he needed to do on his body. He’s doing good. I’m pretty excited to see what happens with him this go-round.”

While his recovery will keep him from cashing in like some other veteran backs this offseason, his track record suggests he can find work. And the fact he wants to keep going may be as good a sign as any.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Arian Foster described as “still passionate about football””
  1. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Mar 20, 2016 10:26 AM

Maybe he could use a plumber or electrician to help him with his health issues if he doesn’t trust doctors.

2. volcom609 says: Mar 20, 2016 10:28 AM

Hmm I’m guessing Pats , Dallas or Denver would be his best options .

3. romo2witten says: Mar 20, 2016 10:41 AM

Aaron Wilson, the guy who lied about Tony Romo hanging up on him. That guy has zero credibility.

4. nenlain says: Mar 20, 2016 10:45 AM

Passionate about making money maybe. But football? I think not.

5. ramrene says: Mar 20, 2016 11:32 AM

If Arian wants to start somewhere his options will be limited. The entire league is leery of his injury history. But, if he is open to a back up position or open to a competition he should be able to find options a plenty.

6. jdbaker01 says: Mar 20, 2016 11:36 AM

He and Tebow should hangout. Oh wait…

7. amanistumor says: Mar 20, 2016 11:49 AM

Needs to ditch his brother as a trainer and health expert.

8. raiderapologist says: Mar 20, 2016 11:55 AM

He’s likely looking at a one-year deal.

9. descendency says: Mar 20, 2016 12:08 PM

At 29 (which is basically right next to the magic cliff that many RBs fall off of at around 30) and recovering from a major injury, he’ll be waiting for camps to start (and someone to get hurt) before he gets a job.

10. bigbensbathroomseed says: Mar 20, 2016 12:22 PM

Funny how we heard how his brother training him was going to rejuvenate him and how he was in the best shape of his lose this time last year. So I guess the brother training him may not have paid off like it should or the Ferrari is worn out from being used in daily commutes over the years.

11. tyconderoguer says: Mar 20, 2016 12:30 PM

He’ll look good with a Pats helmet and give him a real good chance of a super bowl.

12. jag1959 says: Mar 20, 2016 12:38 PM

If he’s passionate about playing for a ring and can get himself back up to speed he may well be able to pick his spot from among a few contenders (Denver, NE, GB, Seattle) on an incentive laden prove it deal.

13. tattooit says: Mar 20, 2016 12:42 PM

The Giants, Dolphins, Patriots, Ravens, and Cowboys all make sense.

14. luvmnsports2012 says: Mar 20, 2016 12:53 PM

New England won’t see the super bowl for a very long time. Their time is done!

15. boltergeist19 says: Mar 20, 2016 1:43 PM

More like “passionate” about those checks. Three years of injuries. I wouldn’t expect more then a goal line guy or 5-10 carries for the league minimum.

Anything else and your setting yourself up to fail. So NE fans don’t be shocked if he makes it your way when he goes unsigned and the Donald doesn’t make the team.

16. jswheeler says: Mar 20, 2016 2:07 PM

I’m just out here trying to be the best teammate I can be and I’m gonna work hard at doing that.

17. jackamus51 says: Mar 20, 2016 5:53 PM

Foster was always a class act in Houston. I hope he finds another team. If he gets injured again this year his playing days will be over.

18. moses74 says: Mar 20, 2016 6:30 PM

Adrian Foster – Some friendly advice…Never raise your fist and say there is no God, because this is what happens when you go against the mighty Creator.

19. stexan says: Mar 20, 2016 6:55 PM

If he’s 100%, and winds up in NE, they’ll have their best running game since Brady’s been QB. Tough to beat.

20. 8to80texansblog says: Mar 21, 2016 5:07 PM

My guess is Denver. He had his best years under Kubiak and Rick Dennison. He might be, when healthy, still the best RB in the zone blocking scheme in the NFL. I think Kubiak signs him to a 1 yr deal at vet min. What’s he got to lose?

Plus, rumors are Denver vs Houston for the season opener in prime time. How awesome to see Brock vs his old team and Arian vs his old team? God I already miss football.

21. xavier179 says: Mar 28, 2016 11:13 AM

This guy’s middle name must be IR, every time I hear of him he is going to IR or just leaving it. Dolphins steer clear.

22. jddre says: Mar 28, 2016 1:17 PM

Denver does not need him. Foster needs to go where he won’t get killed with a weak O/L. His choices are limited.