Ex-NFL player Daryn Colledge joins the Army National Guard

Daryn Colledge AP

Former NFL player Daryn Colledge said today that he has enlisted in the Army National Guard.

Colledge, a 6-foot-4, 308-pound guard who played nine NFL seasons, said that after retiring last year he began searching for a new purpose in his life and has found it in the Army.

“After a year of retirement, a much needed vacation, and overdue time with my family, I’ve decided to hit the free agent market,” Colledge wrote on Twitter. “Today I am proud to announce I have thrown my hat back in the ring and decided to join a new team, start a new chapter, and seek out a new adventure. After much deliberation and discussion, I’m proud to sign my longest term deal of all time, 8 yrs and have enlisted in the Army National Guard. After all my time in the NFL, traveling, meeting, and supporting the troops, I’ve decided to step up and stand shoulder to shoulder with them. This was not a decision made lightly, we live in an ever changing world, and at this time in my life I feel it is best served with me in defense of my family, state, country.”

The 34-year-old Colledge, who grew up in North Pole, Alaska and played at Boise State, was a starter for the Packers, Cardinals and Dolphins.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Ex-NFL player Daryn Colledge joins the Army National Guard”
  1. jimmysee says: Mar 22, 2016 6:03 PM

Now he’s a starter for Uncle Sam. Good show!

2. wdcskins says: Mar 22, 2016 6:10 PM

Somebody’s reading Daryn Colledge’s Twitter? No, but really, good on you, dude. Show our enemies that we grow ’em big.

3. stillers213 says: Mar 22, 2016 6:15 PM

STUD!

4. 1pavikingfan says: Mar 22, 2016 6:17 PM

Thank You Sir !!!

5. rick1599 says: Mar 22, 2016 6:24 PM

Hooah!!

6. barrywhererufrom says: Mar 22, 2016 6:30 PM

Great story!!!

7. photoguy13 says: Mar 22, 2016 6:34 PM

I didn’t think that the military signed 34 year olds.

8. manderson4150 says: Mar 22, 2016 6:34 PM

This guy will throw hand grenades back….he should be proud of his decision.

9. chc4 says: Mar 22, 2016 6:45 PM

Kill ISIS please.

And yes, I realize that’s not exactly the National Guard’s thing… but still. It’s worth saying on a day like today.

10. mongo3401 says: Mar 22, 2016 6:48 PM

Boot camp makes NFL camp look like baby land. Congrats and best of luck Semper Fi

11. YouCryin?PatsMustBeDoingTheirJob says: Mar 22, 2016 7:04 PM

Thank you,sir. Better man than I.

12. ctiggs says: Mar 22, 2016 7:53 PM

photoguy13 says: Mar 22, 2016 6:34 PM

I didn’t think that the military signed 34 year olds.

———————————————————

13. trevor123698 says: Mar 22, 2016 7:56 PM

14. lasher1650 says: Mar 22, 2016 7:59 PM

He weighs 80 pounds more than the maximum acceptable Army/National Guard requirement for a man of his age and height per the Army’s own published standards. He has a lot of work to do to even make it to a boot camp let alone successfully complete one.

15. lasher1650 says: Mar 22, 2016 8:05 PM

trevor123698 says:
    Mar 22, 2016 7:56 PM
    Country? America has been signed over as a vassal state of the united nations since 1945. Go read public law 87-297 for proof of our agreement to disarm totally and completely. A free nation cannot be a disarmed nation. He’s serving the new world order. Not america. America doesn’t exist anymore and its easy to prove______________________________________________________________________________________________

16. lasher1650 says: Mar 22, 2016 8:10 PM

ctiggs says:
    Mar 22, 2016 7:53 PM
    photoguy13 says: Mar 22, 2016 6:34 PM

I didn’t think that the military signed 34 year olds.

———————————————————

He is going to the reserves. Besides its not the Coast Guard and that’s the only branch that matters ! #SemperParatus_________________________________________________________________________
    Thank you for keeping our crab and tuna fishermen safe when they are in distress while the REAL military is putting their lives in front of – you know – bullets and stuff in foreign countries separated from their loved ones in a true act of patriotism.

17. trevor123698 says: Mar 22, 2016 8:23 PM

“This isn’t the forum for your whacked out anti-US rhetoric. There are plenty of places for you to spout such nonsense, but this is not one of them.”

———————————————

Whacked out rhetoric? You’ve literally never heard this truth in your entire life. I literally documented our disarmament agreement. Go read it. It’s eye opening. And I have endless documentation on top of this. This is the forum for this. There is never not a forum to expose our loss of freedom and the loss of our nation. Google this for 642 pages of documentation thats taken from congressional record, US code, public law, state department documents, etc. You need to take up. You aren’t a patriot. You’re a traitor

Google this phrase: THE TREASON DOCUMENTS

18. raiderapologist says: Mar 22, 2016 8:47 PM

He did some work on the local sports talk show recently, and did a fairly good job.

19. getonyourkneeskissthefiverings says: Mar 22, 2016 8:57 PM

He’s a Nasty Girl (inside Army joke)

20. feelingswillbehurt says: Mar 22, 2016 9:12 PM

I’ve been to the town of North Pole, Alaska. It flat-out sucks. Imagine they froze Hell, filled it with mosquitoes and moved it to a trailer park in the middle of nowhere. The only place I’ve been to that’s worse is Fairbanks, of which North Pole is a sort of suburb. We should try to give them both back to Russia. The Russians, being sensible people, probably wouldn’t want them, though.

21. purpleguy says: Mar 22, 2016 9:33 PM

Honorable decision and I certainly wish him the best, but man, if he is called up to combat he’ll make a pretty darn big target.

22. dg0122 says: Mar 22, 2016 10:59 PM

He didn’t play in 2015 so he could have been cutting weight for a while now

23. ee00ee says: Mar 22, 2016 11:16 PM

Way to go Colledge I hope you serve with pride and honor and they never call on you to leave this country to defend this country.

24. chadman128 says: Mar 23, 2016 12:38 AM

Lol the “treason documents” were released in 1961. Sure is one slowwww plan of action.

25. MossMoon2Packers says: Mar 23, 2016 1:03 AM

About the “… defense of my… country” matter, Daryn, the country wouldn’t require 10% as much defense if it didn’t adhere to a policy of global imperialism and hegemony for the benefit of mainly Big Oil, Big Agri and the Military-Industrial Complex.

26. jessethegreat says: Mar 23, 2016 2:20 AM

He better not be a pog. Will lose much respect for him if he is.

27. jdmorrison82 says: Mar 23, 2016 2:42 PM

He enlisted in the Idaho National Guard as a 15T UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic. Good on him. GO Guard and Go Army Aviation. Above the Best!