Chip: I’ve talked to Kaepernick, but I don’t handle personnel

SANTA CLARA, CA - JANUARY 20:  (L-R) San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York, Chip Kelly and San Francisco 49ers general manager Trent Baalke pose for a picture after a press conference where Kelly was announced as the new head coach of the San Francisco 49ers at Levi's Stadium on January 20, 2016 in Santa Clara, California.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

San Francisco coach Chip Kelly says he isn’t sure whether Colin Kaepernick is going to be his quarterback this season.

Kelly said at the league meeting this morning that he and Kaepernick haven’t talked football, and he’s going to leave it to General Manager Trent Baalke and Kaepernick’s agent to work out whether the 49ers will trade him or keep him.

“When I talked to him last week, I think it was Tuesday, he said he was doing well,” Kelly said. “You really can’t talk about anything from a football standpoint. . . . His agents are handling everything for him, personnel is handling everything for us.”

If the 49ers still have Kaepernick on their roster on April 1, they’re on the hook for his $11.9 million guaranteed base salary, as well as his $1.125 million roster bonus and his $400,000 workout bonus. So they’re going to have to decide within the next eight days whether they want Kaepernick to be their quarterback or not.

But right now, the 49ers are saying they don’t know. They’ll continue talking about a trade, but whether a deal gets done is anyone’s guess.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Chip: I’ve talked to Kaepernick, but I don’t handle personnel”
  1. aj66shanghai says: Mar 23, 2016 7:44 AM

Seattle-San Francisco was the best rivalry in football, for half a minute. Now, this is just sad. At least the NFC West makes sense now that the Rams are actually, you know, in the west.

2. psubeerman21 says: Mar 23, 2016 7:50 AM

Good thing for a head coach not to know

3. tonebones says: Mar 23, 2016 7:50 AM

I don’t think Kaepernick has any issues with Chip Kelly. I think Kap has a problem with the front office. Kap is just one of many players who have bolted since Harbaugh was fired. None of them left because of Chip Kelly. He wasn’t even around. The draft is coming soon and the 49ers probably have their eyes on a QB. They don’t want to tip their hand, so they’re just trying to confuse everyone in hopes that somebody doesn’t jump ahead of them in the draft and snag the QB they like.

4. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Mar 23, 2016 7:55 AM

Given how insane the quarterback market has gotten with a completely unproven back up getting $18 million year, $11 million for a quarterback who started a Super Bowl doesn’t actually sound that bad

5. doubleogator says: Mar 23, 2016 7:56 AM

I still can’t believe Chip Kelly is still coaching in the NFL…

6. mdot987 says: Mar 23, 2016 8:04 AM

where is the actual quote saying the coach “don’t know”?……oh wait, rumor section.

7. ctiggs says: Mar 23, 2016 8:17 AM

Leave kap and the niners alone we are preparing for greatness

8. eagles777 says: Mar 23, 2016 8:19 AM

The suits say Chipster has the final say. Why would Chipster want the responsibility for creating another expensive benchwarmer, a situation that got him fired from his last job?

9. edelmanfanclub says: Mar 23, 2016 8:21 AM

Jeez Chip, I get you sucked last time with personnel but you dont have to act like you have 0 input, youre the one coaching the team! Anyways, this GM/Owner combo is bad for any team. Chip is surely to flame out here.

10. torethatbridgeout says: Mar 23, 2016 8:29 AM

Man…what a great/awful photo of Chip. Somebody at PFT deserves high praise for finding and using some of these pictures.

11. themiamidolphins says: Mar 23, 2016 8:33 AM

“Chip: I’ve talked to Kaepernick, but I don’t handle personnel”

He didn’t actually say this though.

12. pisano says: Mar 23, 2016 8:39 AM

In other words, Colin will be moving on.

13. thetooloftools says: Mar 23, 2016 8:45 AM

San Francisco is becoming The Cleland Browns WEST.
    How sad.

14. mlenenski says: Mar 23, 2016 8:47 AM

Geez! Has Chip been training for an upcoming competitive eating contest? That picture almost looks stretched he’s so fat.

15. filmex2000 says: Mar 23, 2016 9:18 AM

York + Baalke + Kelly

What could go wrong ?

16. nfceastfan says: Mar 23, 2016 9:27 AM

Chip Kelly is very introverted with no social skills. It was a big complaint in Philly with players that needed to be coddled like Kaepernick. They might as well trade him to a team with a coach with good social skills like most coaches in the NFL it will never work with Kelly.

17. muley5 says: Mar 23, 2016 9:28 AM

This must be driving the 49ers crazy….they want Kaepernick gone and they can’t trade him because no other team wants him either and they’re holding out for a high draft pick….49ers brass is the only thing high in this situation

18. 49ersdiehard says: Mar 23, 2016 9:47 AM

Some of you must be bored, talking about Chip’s large stature? I don’t care if the dude is the Goodyear blimp with a head, arms and legs as long as he can think, talk, game plan and coach the 49ers to greatness, once again.

Now, speaking of CK7, I don’t want him released, not because I like him as the 49ers’ franchise quarterback; the 49ers can actually get some type of compensation for him, primarily draft pick(s) or a needed veteran player and send Kaepernick and a draft pick, if necessary. Broncos trade: send Kaepernick and a draft pick for Clady.

19. rlpftt says: Mar 23, 2016 10:11 AM

Chip should not be allowed to talk to anyone, he should be banned form the NFL.

20. therealtrenches says: Mar 23, 2016 10:21 AM

themiamidolphins says:
    Mar 23, 2016 8:33 AM
    “Chip: I’ve talked to Kaepernick, but I don’t handle personnel”

He didn’t actually say this though.

————————————

Ummm…yes he did, if you know how to read this:

21. philyeagles5 says: Mar 23, 2016 10:44 AM

this guy makes me sick

22. eglsfan says: Mar 23, 2016 10:47 AM

I believe he said the same thing in Philly….I am in charge of imploding the roster; ermoving all of the talent we have

23. pastanow says: Mar 23, 2016 10:48 AM

I’m sure they were shooting the breeze about tattoos, the best clubs in South Beach and what are the best headphones. That Chip I hear he’s quite the party animal and he could be a bad influence on Kapernick.

24. isithockeyseasonyet says: Mar 23, 2016 11:22 AM

lol that comment was the straw that broke the camels back in Philly, I think he still gets fired but if he didn’t say ‘I’m not the GM’, they probably would’ve let chip finish the year, the guy takes no personal responsibility, feel bad for niners fun, this guy takes the fun out of football

25. GrantRodgers says: Mar 23, 2016 12:17 PM

Kap’s salary is not an issue with the Niners. They can pay to sit him on the bench and will still be below the salary minimum. Being a cheapskate has its advantages, I suppose.

26. joshgordonsbong says: Mar 23, 2016 12:50 PM

Look at that photo LOL…So when chip banned taco day in philly he meant just for the players….got ya now chip!!