The Colts announced Wednesday night that they have agreed to terms with free agent cornerback Patrick Robinson.
Not long after the team made the announcement, Robinson released a statement in which he said he never agreed to a contract with another team and never gave his former agent, Kevin Conner, permission to agree to a deal with another team. Robinson visited the Cowboys last weekend and multiple reports following that visit said the Cowboys expected to sign Robinson before he left the building.
The Colts see Robinson as a starter. He made 10 starts and had one interception in his only season with the Chargers last year and has 10 career interceptions. He played his first four seasons with the Saints, who drafted him in the first round in 2010.
NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported that Robinson will sign a three-year deal with the Colts.
“We’ve been interested in Patrick since early in free agency and we’re glad it finally came together,” Colts general manager Ryan Grigson said in a team statement. “We have some strong ties on our coaching staff with him so that familiarity is always a plus.
“He is a versatile, experienced and steady corner that gives us immediate help opposite Vontae [Davis]. He was a fit on a number of levels in regards to overall skill, but also adds some strong intangibles. We’re happy with this addition to our team.”